New Dissidia Arcade Game (NT)

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I honestly thought the PS4 port was going to eventually be cancelled after two years of silence since the Arcade's release. This is a surprise for me, and pleasent too.

And while we have to wait for another year for the said port, at least they finally gave us a heads up, whether it was an early leak or not, and I'm glad that Noctis will be in it. Maybe they wanted to add Notcis to the PS4 version and not the Arcade version.

While on that note, and while I'm still hoping for Rinoa, Reno, Selphie, Vincent and Yuffie to be in this game, and while it might be possible that Steve Burton was recording his lines for the Remake....

And it's also very likely that he went to reprise his role as Cloud Strife for this game, maybe it's also for Kingdom Hearts 3 and Cloud could be returning for KH3 as well(though this is more of a wishful thinking on my part, knowing my luck, especially for both the release date of KH3 and Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth's return for the said KH3 game).

In the meantime, I am now seriously looking forward for the PS4 version of this game more than ever!

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Didn't even discuss the story in my last post. Continuation of the old continuity or full-reboot new continuity? I find it hard to think how they could pick up after the story of the original, and an even earlier prequel seems unlikely. Although the introduction of these new Gods can take this either way.

Perhaps Spiritus and Materia create their own Hero-summoning conflict in a way that directly parallels Chaos/Cosmos. History repeats itself, just like the previous cycles did, yadda yadda the heroes must win again, etc.

Regardless, the Amazon description revealing Noctis makes it sound like he is the quasi-main character of the story like Lightning was in duodecim. Couple that with a Nojima story and I am one excited customer.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Didn't even discuss the story in my last post. Continuation of the old continuity or full-reboot new continuity? I find it hard to think how they could pick up after the story of the original, and an even earlier prequel seems unlikely. Although the introduction of these new Gods can take this either way.

I think it's more likely a reboot than a continuation of the original game and it's prequel. But like you said, Materia and Spiritus being here could decide either way.

Perhaps Spiritus and Materia create their own Hero-summoning conflict in a way that directly parallels Chaos/Cosmos. History repeats itself, just like the previous cycles did, yadda yadda the heroes must win again, etc.

It's already exactly that in Opera Ominia Dissidisa IOS game which has yet to be released outside Japan too(though I think this is another IOS game to have it's international release cancelled).

Regardless, the Amazon description revealing Noctis makes it sound like he is the quasi-main character of the story like Lightning was in duodecim. Couple that with a Nojima story and I am one excited customer.

And Cloud could be another quasi-main character alongside Noctis since the two have similiar expressions.

Not to mention that Nojima is still working on the storyline of FFVII Remake. Put it this way, I think pretty much all of us are excited for this game.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

I'm fairly certain that this is a total reboot.

The thing that sticks out to me is that the motivations don't seem the same.

Unlike before, this trailer has actual subtitles, and it paints Spiritus a little differently. While he seems like just another destructive villain type, he himself also talks about "Saving his world from ruin", and both talk as if they own the worlds, or some in-between world connected to the VII worlds.

So I don't know if we're getting nearly as similar storyline as we thought.

Last edited:

Still Unnamed

Lv. 25 Adventurer
^ChipNoir, hold that thought. I think that’s a great place to start story-wise whether this game is a reboot or a continuation from the PSP ones. There was a section on the official arcade website that had some basic scenario of the background of the title. It mentions the goddess of harmony (Cosmos) and god of discord (Chaos), but beyond that I have no idea where they’re going. Perhaps this isn’t a total reboot, but it might as well be?

What gets me wondering is Materia's comment "Both my memories of warriors past..."

Does this mean that all the playable characters, or at the very least the "good guys", are just conjured up from Materia's memory of them? If so, then that makes Dissidia NT into a continuity that doesn't clash with the PSP games. Yet at the same time we have Final Fantasy worlds, in the state as we see them in the original games, that are getting destroyed, so... More destruction across time and space? If so, then why not simply summon the *actual* good guys and not just their memories?

Or Materia's trailer comment isn't meant to be interpreted as the light warriors being created from memories. :wacky:

In the PSP games, everyone lost the memories of the worlds from their original titles and came to this world, but this time they remember their original worlds, as well as the events of the PSP games, and more so, since most of the characters have cleared the main story, they’re full of confidence.
FUCKING. FINALLY.

Still Unnamed

Lv. 25 Adventurer
^Wasn’t it that the reason they lost their memory to begin with was because of Shinryu’s purification?

Also, great find, Ryuman. That has clarified what I’ve been suspecting since the arcade version came out according to information from the official website.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Does Cloud remember being friends with Ramza in the storymode tho, that's what I wanna know.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, Shinryu took their memories away so nothing held them back when they fought. However they remembered them when they fought someone or a manikin from their world. Sephiroth was originally friendly with Cloud until Kefka sent him after Tifa.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Ramza is new so his situation may be different.

Also, I noticed in all the recent videos there's no more EX Mode or Burst Attacks, so Cloud's Omnislash was missing. Team Battles might not allow for Limit Breaks anymore if that is the case.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Well, I'm definitely going to have a very in-depth replay of these games. Admittedly I never got too deep in the lore stuff, so it's all rather lost on me.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Ramza is new so his situation may be different.

Also, I noticed in all the recent videos there's no more EX Mode or Burst Attacks, so Cloud's Omnislash was missing. Team Battles might not allow for Limit Breaks anymore if that is the case.

Cloud does have Omnislash, but its been downgraded to just being one of his HP attacks IIRC.

Summons are basically this game's 'burst' abilities, that the entire party shares.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I can't remember, but has a 1v1 mode been confirmed for Dissidia NT yet? Or has it just been heavily speculated on that it will?

Still Unnamed

Lv. 25 Adventurer
^I don’t think so for strictly one-on-one, if that’s where you were going. When playing in offline mode, you’ll get auto-matched with two CPU-controlled players as partners against three other CPU-controlled characters. That’s coming from the interview IGN did with Mat Kishimoto (Square Enix Marketing Team).

Since it’s early in its announcement, I’m sure they’ll add/modify the game based on feedback. As Lulcielid has generously stated above, they plan to simplify the UI. Other changes might be possible.

Hope that helps.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
The story is set after the events of the PSP games, after all.

In the PSP games, everyone lost the memories of the worlds from their original titles and came to this world, but this time they remember their original worlds, as well as the events of the PSP games, and more so, since most of the characters have cleared the main story, they’re full of confidence.
FUCKING. FINALLY.

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/dissidia-final-fantasy-nt-story-set-psp-games

So basically, the Arcade version is a non-story reboot while the PS4 port story-version is a semi reboot and continuation? The only thing reboot I can think of being rebooted is new gods(Materia and Spiritas) going the similiar thing as Cosmos and Chaos both did in the PSP titles, only this time everyone remembers.

So the PS4 version is a sequel but a reboot at the same time? This is starting to sound like the fourth Transformers movie and I'm not even a transformers fan.

Edit: And Cloud is post-Advent Children?!

Well, Dirge of Cerberus is set after Advent Children by one year(both in FFVII universe and literally in our real world given release dates of both titles, Japanese wise), so yeah, I think it kind of makes sense.

Maybe AC Cloud was taken between the ending of the film and the beginning of Dirge of Cerberus. Only question is, what's with his outfit, though? Are they going to de-age him with the player given the option to change his attire like in the PSP games? I'm confused.

I'm pretty much surprised they're doing this despite what Nomura had told us last year on the Compilation having ended with Crisis Core(after eight years of lying that it would actually continue after the remaster of AC when it was re-released as Advent Children Complete and not telling us the truth until the beginning of this year) and that the Remake is not directedly connected to the Compilation.

This leaves me even more confused and concerned with what's going on in FFVII's universe(both original wise and Compilation wise).

Ramza is new.

So are Y'shotola, Ace and Noctis.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think you're over thinking it. I think this is just a straight up sequel, with the key point being the cycle of wars is officially over. All the characters will be 100% themselves at this point, rather than fudging through mixed memories and weird echoes of their past being played through other characters.

This is a good thing. I can't stand the way they wrote the storylines for the original two games.

I read the Cloud thing as an excuse to just put in a total original costume set in. All of the characters are going to be post-game.

In Dissidia, it seems all the games have already happened anyways. The difference is that not everyone has complete memories. Cloud was just plucked with his darkest memories it seems.

Top Bottom