New year, New LTD thread. (Round 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
-First of all, he outright says "You turn your back on the present and live in the past." Cloud's past you say? Didn't he fall in love with Tifa and make a promise to her in the past? I mean hell don't the Cleriths always say it's Aerith in the present and Tifa in the past? So here we can see that he chooses to cherish the memories of Tifa and turns his back on Aerith. To me, this is the answer to the "will you choose a memory or us" question. He chooses the memory (Tifa).
no, he's referring to Zack. We know this cause Zack is in BBS which is farther in the past than that line and also because Tifa was not in that game, it is safe to assume Zack and Cloud were the childhood friends in Kingdom Hearts, not Cloud and Tifa. Clearly, both are trying to act like new people in Cloud's life, but Sephiroth notices how hung up he is over his old best friend.

-Sephiroth reasserts this by saying "You'll never let go of your past." Again, Tifa is in Cloud's past. So Cloud never letting go of his past = never letting go of Tifa.
no proofs, Zack was more clearly in the past than either of the girls.

-Then Sephiroth explains "No matter how many times I fall, your darkness keeps calling me back." The memory of Tifa will always be tied to the memory of Sephiroth because of Nibelhiem and stuff. No one can remember her without remembering that Sephiroth burned down her home town when Cloud was there. So the fact that Cloud will never let go of Tifa's memory naturally means that he can never let go of Sephiroth's either. Every time he remembers Tifa, he will remember Sephiroth, thus calling him back into being. The feelings of guilt and inadequacy for his family which accompany these memories are what Seph is calling his darkness. This is paralleled by the AC/C plot, in which guilt is eating Cloud alive and Sephiroth returns to tell Cloud very similar things -- basically "It's your guilt which keeps bringing me back."
u so blinded by clotay rhetoric! Obviously, this parallels AC/C's plot in the fact that he knows Zack is dead and there's no way to bring him back, but he needs him there if he has any hopes of defeating Sephiroth it's cause he needs Zack by his side. Each time he remembers Zack's encouraging voice, he also remembers how he let him die, and the guilt is so much that it keeps bringing Sephiroth back. We know this cause Zack totally isn't in any of the newer games, just BBS, so it's logical to assume that he and Cloud were really good friends until he died at the hands of Sephiroth sometime between BBS and Kingdom Hearts 1.

the rest of the post is just grumpy cloti rhetoric that won't believe in the clack truth. The real tragedy of the love triangle is how few people seem to acknowledge that Cloud must be gay. I mean, he wasn't already tappin' Tifa's ass at the beginning of the game, so he must still be holding Zack in high esteem.

and i mean come on, in his heart of hearts, sephiroth is shirtless. does this tell you nothing?

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Also, something slightly off-topic -- I was re-watching Cloud's fight with Seph in KH2, and it really struck me how much Sephiroth's lines confirm the Cloti perspective.

Okay, I'm off of my tangent now. I just wanted to throw that last bit out there in case anybody runs into that excuse in a debate or something.

You're so busted Que. I saw this written on the CxA forums, expect it was pro- Clerith. You copy and pasted everything even the "I just wanted to throw that last bit out there in case anybody runs into that excuse in a debate or something.

Naughty !

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I help them when I can, but sometimes they're a little bit ridiculous with the Tifa bashing and putting her down. That's what really annoys me. I wish they'd enjoy Clerith instead of hating Cloti so much :(

Besides all I did was C/P a post, it's not a huge deal. Didn't say who posted it or make fun of them or anything.

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
I help them when I can, but sometimes they're a little bit ridiculous with the Tifa bashing and putting her down. That's what really annoys me. I wish they'd enjoy Clerith instead of hating Cloti so much :(

Besides all I did was C/P a post, it's not a huge deal. Didn't say who posted it or make fun of them or anything.

Yeah, I agree with the Tifa bashing. It's really bitchy some of the things that they say about her, ie calling her a slut and calling her cowgirl uniform slutty.
Then they complain that Aerith is being dissed by other fans, and it's like how dare they, who would do such a thing.

I kind of got more pissed off with their bashing of Locke x Celes and Celes ( the character, not Nero Celes :awesome: ) being a huge FF VI fan, and Celes fan. It was like, Celes is a awesome character, how dare you. They should get rid of the bashing thread I reckon, because it's just making them look really bad.

But lol to be honest if they started dissing Cloud and Squall I'll probably start joining in with them.

True, but you're stolen what somebody else has said and twisted it.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
True, but you're stolen what somebody else has said and twisted it.
I already admitted I did that a few posts up :monster:

It's not like I was using it seriously for real Cloti proof or really trying to pass the post off as mine. I was just in a weird mood last night and wanted to see if I could troll anyone here... and I did so yay :joy:

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
I already admitted I did that a few posts up :monster:

It's not like I was using it seriously for real Cloti proof or really trying to pass the post off as mine. I was just in a weird mood last night and wanted to see if I could troll anyone here... and I did so yay :joy:

Lol congrts. For your award, here's a picture of Ashe picking her nose.

ashe-01.jpg

:awesome:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
they started dissing Cloud

Actually, bashing Cloud or Aerith's character is not allowed there, even in the bashing section. :awesome: But Tifa is fair game no matter which section of the Forum you're in. :lol:

Tir McDohl

rune bearer
AKA
Yula
So they're still at all that crap? I wouldn't be surprised since it seems to be the main reason they ever existed as a board, anyway.

Which is why I don't think it's going overboard to make fun of them. Not that I even want to(because it's a different forum and pretty pointless anyway). But you should take responsibility for what you post. It'd only be "mean" to make fun of them if they didn't earn it.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showpost.php?p=300232&postcount=725

Celes said:
Actually, bashing Cloud or Aerith's character is not allowed there, even in the bashing section. But Tifa is fair game no matter which section of the Forum you're in.

Because Big Brother is always to be praised and Eurasia is always to be vilified.

Remember, big brother is always right, and has always been right, even when he says something that you think contradicts what he said before.

So they're still at all that crap? I wouldn't be surprised since it seems to be the main reason they ever existed as a board, anyway.

It's because Tifa is constantly in the way of their ship. The same mentality can be seen all over the internet, where rabid shippers will vilify or otherwise denigrate certain characters to clear the way for their favorite pairing. 'Ship Fix fics' are basically made of this mindset.

See also- the Harmony shippers and their view of Ginny and Ron.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
anyone else feel liek this@trolling this thread

1278986066564.jpg

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
The HP Romance tangent was growing big enough to warrant its own thread.

It has thus been split and moved into the entertainment section of the general discussion forum. The back and forth can continue there.

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
A little late in the game here, and O/T considering the current flow of conversation but I wanted to make a slight - VERY SLIGHT - correction on this translation. (Please don't hurt me.)

Front Page Post said:
Read that again. ‘without using words, [Cloud] confirms with [Tifa] that their feelings match.’

The translation actually reads this way: Thanks to Tifa, Cloud regains himself, and before the final battle with Sephiroth, he confirms feelings with her that cannot be expressed by using words.

The bolded is from this part of the translation: [言葉では伝えられない想いを確かめ会う]

It doesn't really say that their feelings match, only that they were confirming/making sure of those "feelings" through some implied physical action (since they weren't going to quote Shakespeare). The kanji [想い] / omoi does heavily imply that they are romantic feelings, as it can be synonymous with love, desire, and affection, as shown here:

DefinitionofOmoi.jpg

[Taken from Jisho.Org, in case any passing Clerith wants to know.]

I wasn't an advocate of the idea that they had sex under the Highwind...at first. But now that I hear about them making sure of their feelings which can't be expressed using words...it's not out too farfetched to believe it could have happened...

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
A little late in the game here, and O/T considering the current flow of conversation but I wanted to make a slight - VERY SLIGHT - correction on this translation. (Please don't hurt me.)

::Gathers implements of pain::
You may proceed.

The translation actually reads this way: Thanks to Tifa, Cloud regains himself, and before the final battle with Sephiroth, he confirms feelings with her that cannot be expressed by using words.

It doesn't really say that their feelings match, only that they were confirming/making sure of those "feelings" through some implied physical action (since they weren't going to quote Shakespeare).

Well, speaking as the writer of that article- and wow, it's getting traffic well over a year later- the 'matching' in the English comes from the 'meeting' (会う) at the end. It does not literally say the feelings match true, but they do confirm feeling which 'meet', and 'confirmed matching' was a more elegant way of expressing that.

I think that was Tres's reasoning, anyways. Your translation works too. Says the same thing in the end, anyways.

The kanji [想い] / omoi does heavily imply that they are romantic feelings, as it can be synonymous with love, desire, and affection, as shown here:

DefinitionofOmoi.jpg

Well, the heading the quote is under- 'for the one I love'- does that more explicitly, IMO.

I wasn't an advocate of the idea that they had sex under the Highwind...at first. But now that I hear about them making sure of their feelings which can't be expressed using words...I don't know any other way to read those lines.

It certainly requires a physicality to the method of their expression, if not out and out sex.

Also, how ya been?

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
Could use more coffee, or at least some safety pins so I can pin back my eyelids. I see you're still as active as ever.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Are you the hatsu that was on tnc when i was leik 16?

cause if you are I totally admired you.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

It doesn't really say that their feelings match, only that they were confirming/making sure of those "feelings" through some implied physical action (since they weren't going to quote Shakespeare).

Ryu explained this for me already, but I just wanted to confirm that he's correct about why I translated the line the way I did. If feelings that can't be expressed in words did get confirmed, then they were confirmed "without using words" -- and since there was a meeting of confirmed feelings, the feelings "match."

Your translation is good as well, of course. =) Thanks for bringing it up. Always fun to discuss the pathways to deciding on a line in translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom