New year, New LTD thread. (Round 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vendel

Banned
Speaking of optional, the Highwind scene might not be... but you know what is?

AERITH IN DISSIDIA :awesome:

.. probably would have had more impact if I hadn't been wearing this sig for a while...

Bah.... Cloud challenging Chaos alone for Tifa and getting killed while having his last thought be of Tifa is optional. Now Cloud lovingly standing in Aerith's flowers is eternal.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
LOL, the Highwind scene isn't optional at all. Cloud and Tifa sleep together in both versions and Tifa is teased and horribly embarrassed in both versions. There's nothing optional. The same thing happens, thought prolly in varying degrees. "you were listening" vs. "you were watching".

You know what's really optional? Aeris' date :D

Goodbye Charlie

Rising Chest-Bank Protestor
LOL, the Highwind scene isn't optional at all. Cloud and Tifa sleep together in both versions and Tifa is teased and horribly embarrassed in both versions. There's nothing optional. The same thing happens, thought prolly in varying degrees. "you were listening" vs. "you were watching".

Years of these silly debates and that really is the crux of the FF7 LTD argument, and inescapable, no matter how many sentences are decontextualised/re-interpreted/mistranslated.

Date? I've always felt that word was tossed around far too superfluously in the LTD chats. It was only "date", in the same way a 6 year old girl pulls a 6 year old boy to one of her let's pretend tea parties. There was no mutual understanding it was a date. Good lord, if that counts as a date, I've had thousands of dates - my mates won't be best pleased with that logic.

Good way to look at it too. Can't say I've had many "Highwind" dates with my mates.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves

The low version is said to be apathetic though so I don't think much happened there. At least I don't think so, that scene is kind of a mystery since they never talk about it. It's like taboo or something.

BTW Guys I LOVE Cloti! It's my favorite pairing in the world! But Aerith is a much better character and Tifa is a whore that abuses Cloud. He just uses her for sammiches anyway... but I love the pairing, I SWEAR!

Last edited:

Goodbye Charlie

The low version is said to be apathetic though so I don't think much happened there. At least I don't think so, that scene is kind of a mystery since they never talk about it. It's like taboo or something.

Though whether they went coital or not, really is here nor there. One version they openly express their feelings, the other, they bottle it up - either way, the feelings are a constant, as I recall, and I maybe rusty, none of the literature suggests that it is an either/or with those affection scenes, the summary in the companions is always speaking of a certainty of affections.

In the end, it's like Moonlighting, or any story where two characters really like each other but don't get it on (sometimes never do if a show is cancelled) - no one presumes just because they don't get it on in episode 4, season 1, their feelings are any different to when they do get it on in episode 7 season 5.

Not speaking directly at you, as I'm not sure I know ya, but as a soapbox I am standing on, I think it's always worth addressing the point that whether they hammer the tong or not, the feelings in Low and High affections are consistent with the narrative of FF7 as a whole, it's just a question of how much they express those feelings in that moment.

BTW Guys I LOVE Cloti! It's my favorite pairing in the world! But Aerith is a much better character and Tifa is a whore that abuses Cloud. He just uses her for sammiches anyway... but I love the pairing, I SWEAR!

Don't know if that's a gag or not, so I'll overlook at it as it really makes no sense whatsoever.

EDIT: Dammit - where's my smiley emoticon gone? That last comment was meant to be playful not pissy! See how rusty I am at this message board thang! :)

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Years of these silly debates and that really is the crux of the FF7 LTD argument, and inescapable, no matter how many sentences are decontextualised/re-interpreted/mistranslated.

It's not just the crux, it is a Mantra, their protection against evil, as it were.

Date? I've always felt that word was tossed around far too superfluously in the LTD chats. It was only "date", in the same way a 6 year old girl pulls a 6 year old boy to one of her let's pretend tea parties. There was no mutual understanding it was a date. Good lord, if that counts as a date, I've had thousands of dates - my mates won't be best pleased with that logic.

That's actually a fair way to look at it, given that the scene in the park is also called a 'date,' it really does seem to reflect a non unilateral fantasy, which is an interesting analogue in its own right.

Good way to look at it too. Can't say I've had many "Highwind" dates with my mates.

Your life has a distressing lack of Airships, my friend.

Though whether they went coital or not, really is here nor there. One version they openly express their feelings, the other, they bottle it up - either way, the feelings are a constant, as I recall, and I maybe rusty, none of the literature suggests that it is an either/or with those affection scenes, the summary in the companions is always speaking of a certainty of affections.

The issue here is that the Cleriths who insist it is optional focus on 'if' used in a couple of locations, as if this renders the possibility of the high highwind being canonized impossible (I presume they'd have no qualms were the low version canonized in their eyes, given their view on it), instead of the times where the results 'feelings were shared' have been declared.
They have similarly refused to consider that getting Vincent and Yuffie in your party and bringing Vincent to the Sister Ray are likewise labelled with 'If,' and are still canon.

Don't know if that's a gag or not, so I'll overlook at it as it really makes no sense whatsoever.

It's a not so subtle reference to events that happened on another board- which were referenced in the last string of posts above- but not everyone here would be familiar with it.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
sometimes it scares me a little how seriously some people seem to take these debates. did the opposing side punch your mother in the face or kick your dog?

i really wonder sometimes.

Goodbye Charlie

'ello Ryu! Looooooonnng time. You still mad at that "pinkie" who kicked your mother and punched your dog?

It's both a sickness of the heart and a wonder of the soul this debate continues, even after all the literature - story and companion material - has very much suggested otherwise.

So in a way, I'm disappointed there is no end, but yes, sort of happy there isn't - a world without this thread would be a world that was exactly the same. Just wouldn't have this thread. I guess I failed to endorse it there, but it is comforting to know it exists. :)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
'ello Ryu! Looooooonnng time. You still mad at that "pinkie" who kicked your mother and punched your dog?

They'll pay for punching my dog...
Seriously though, Not sure who you're referring to. I've had a few chewtoys over the years. Some more amusing than others.

It's both a sickness of the heart and a wonder of the soul this debate continues, even after all the literature - story and companion material - has very much suggested otherwise.

See also: Evo v Creo and SW v ST. Etc. etc. etc.

So in a way, I'm disappointed there is no end, but yes, sort of happy there isn't - a world without this thread would be a world that was exactly the same. Just wouldn't have this thread. I guess I failed to endorse it there, but it is comforting to know it exists. :)

There are still Geocentricists and Hollow Earthers. Most disputes of this type every truly 'end,' but the losing side becomes ever and ever more fringe and yet also ever more vocal and absurd.

Goodbye Charlie

They'll pay for punching my dog...
Seriously though, Not sure who you're referring to. I've had a few chewtoys over the years. Some more amusing than others.

The generic "pinkie" :)

See also: Evo v Creo and SW v ST. Etc. etc. etc.

Can't say I'm up on either massively, though I do know the latter, like this debate is very much informed by territory as much as objectivity.

There are still Geocentricists and Hollow Earthers. Most disputes of this type every truly 'end,' but the losing side becomes ever and ever more fringe and yet also ever more vocal and absurd.

Is that the case here? I suspect it is, not seen the madness up close yet, so I'm virgin to the latest lunacy.

Goodbye Charlie

Star Wars.

:hugemonster:

I thought it was Star Trek because the Trekkers can't stand the minute detail they love being thrown in their face showing Star Wars is quicker, more powerful and just apparently more bad ass - which - correct me if I'm wrong Ryu, is the crux of the debate.

As far as I once peeped, it came down to factual details as to which was the most powerful.

Which in fairness to them, if it wasn't for that minute extended detail, it would be something you probably could debate endlessly. With this, the answer was very much in the narrative without needing to know every line/read every companion book etc.

Vendel

Banned
I thought it was Star Trek because the Trekkers can't stand the minute detail they love being thrown in their face showing Star Wars is quicker, more powerful and just apparently more bad ass - which - correct me if I'm wrong Ryu, is the crux of the debate.

As far as I once peeped, it came down to factual details as to which was the most powerful.

Hence the joke Charlie. Or should I say Buzz Killington?!?

Last edited:

Goodbye Charlie

Hence the joke Charlie. Or should I say Buzz Killington?!?

Such jokes require me to be somewhat more educated than I am. I accept teh fail most graciously.

Just surfing through the site at the incredible amount of data since I last peeped. It's incredulous people still fight. Bless. All so unnecessary. Could have told them that all along, oh wait, I did. Most of us did.

Vendel

Banned
To be fair, most of the fighting is about shutting the topic down.

Well thank goodness that our delusional friends seem to be gathering their resolve in 2011.

Not that they are making any more sense. Heck less even. But 2010 was a tough year for them.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
So... "Cloud and Tifa share little to no feelings toward one another and then decide to live together..."

seriously, what?... even if you want to say the HA version isn't canon, the feelings are still there. They maybe just didn't share them. But we know they're there because Cloud admitted to being in love Tifa in the Lifestream sequence per the UO telling us that.

So glad I can prove Cloti canon without the Highwind Scene :awesome:

Last edited:

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
So... "Cloud and Tifa share little to no feelings toward one another and then decide to live together...":

That's just... I don't even... Ya know what, I'm gonna let Vegeta take this one. Vegeta?
1z3qiz6.jpg

Yeah, that's about right.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Cloud's museum profile from Dissidia.

Cloud Strife

A reserved young man who brandishes a large sword with ease. He leads his other warriors with his rational decision-making befitting a leader, but internally he has difficulty being confident in his actions.

Originally summoned as a champion of Chaos, Cloud has forfeited the fight in objection to the irrationality of having to fight a friend summoned from the same world solely because they serve opposing gods.

When is friend Tifa is faced with peril, Cloud casts aside his duty as a warrior of Chaos and fights to protect those he holds dear.

His adamant will reaches the throne of Cosmos. Cosmos rescues Cloud after he is defeated by Chaos and on the verge of disappearing. Ironically, that whom he set out to protect sacrificed herself to protect him.

Revived as a warrior of Cosmos, he searches for a meaning to fight out of the sense that he has lost something dear within his memories.

Continuing on his journey while still troubled with questions, he finds a new meaning to fight in aiding his comrades realize their dreams.

now it can't be Aerith, because he didn't lose Aerith in Dissidia's world :awesome:

AND SHE'S OPTIONAL ANYWAY

okay ill stop :(
Of course we'll have to deal with "LAWL IT SAYS FRIEND HERP DERP!"

EDIT
BTW I know in the original Dissidia Ultimania Aerith was called a comrade to Cloud, ... were there other times she was called friend to him?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom