New year, New LTD thread. (Round 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
It just looks like a green crystal glowing to me. I expect the White Materia to have way more you know... white stripes. I don't know, it's just totally not the colour of the white materia, which is why I'm like "heh? How come?"

Graphics are way better than what they used to be, and I expect the white materia to be clearly... have a lot of white when I see it. Not a glowing green which is how they depict materia in AC/C.

That said, I don't really care if it's the white materia or not. I'm just arguing because I don't see it at all.

Didn't you say you didn't remember what the white materia looked like? And now, you're pretty sure it should have white stripes? Even though the white materia, according to SE and SE merchandise is green.
ffvii_holy_pendant.jpg
But hey, if you still don't see it, that's cool. Materia in ACC was a variety of colors...including red, yellow, green... Magic materia such as cure/fire/ice/holy etc is green. So even if you think the materia in Dissidia is some 'generic' mock-up materia, it's still an isolated class and not the 'general materia that represents them all'.

If you don't think it's the white materia, fine. But using the 'it doesn't look like it' falls short. Because, yes, it does. :hohum:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Not to be too big of an asshole, but could you give me the citation where it reveals Cloud's crystal to be materia? Of any kind. :awesome:

You are being too big of an asshole. The reason [citation needed] is relevant here is because of the contention about what is is and the lack of clarity. Just as anyone needed to back up their claim that it is the white materia (happy default states...) would also need a citation or sufficient evidence.
The person who has the last edit on squall's page saw feathers. Others saw a gunblade. Yet others saw neither.

Didn't you say you didn't remember what the white materia looked like? And now, you're pretty sure it should have white stripes? Even though the white materia, according to SE and SE merchandise is green.
ffvii_holy_pendant.jpg

According to the OG, it's a light green with white stripes. And tiny. As is the pendant- which I note the included whorls on in an homage to the white stripes.

But hey, if you still don't see it, that's cool. Materia in ACC was a variety of colors...including red, yellow, green... Magic materia such as cure/fire/ice/holy etc is green. So even if you think the materia in Dissidia is some 'generic' mock-up materia, it's still an isolated class and not the 'general materia that represents them all'.

One might say that green magic materia, being the most ubiquitous, is the generic materia that represents them all.

If you don't think it's the white materia, fine. But using the 'it doesn't look like it' falls short. Because, yes, it does. :hohum:

Again, not really. In the OG, the white materia WAS noticably distinct from magic materia, both in its tiny size and its very different shade of green and white striping.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
in the OG aeris' jacket also had football pads and metal trim

and do we even need to go into what cloud used to look like vs what he looks like now?

so i mean are we really gonna nitpick graphics and designs from '97 or just accept that updated versions are slightly different?

Tir McDohl

rune bearer
AKA
Yula
I guess you could try checking the beginning of Advent Children. They have that flashback of the game events. I think they show the White materia in it.

So...

LOL.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
You are being too big of an asshole. The reason [citation needed] is relevant here is because of the contention about what is is and the lack of clarity. Just as anyone needed to back up their claim that it is the white materia (happy default states...) would also need a citation or sufficient evidence.
The person who has the last edit on squall's page saw feathers. Others saw a gunblade. Yet others saw neither.

Ryu, dearest, I'm just asking you to cite the sources that confirm Cloud's crystal as materia. Any materia. Because, as you so eloquently stated in regards to Squall, the same is valid in regards to Cloud: there is contention about what his crystal is and lack of clarity. Some people see the white materia, some see green materia, and some see neither. So, wouldn't the assertion that Cloud's crystal is any form of materia be subject to the same citatation regulation to avoid mistaken speculation on the matter? It's silly if we're arguing about what materia it represents if it turns out to be a ball of, oh, condensed lifestream or a fancy hair piece. Just saying.

According to the OG, it's a light green with white stripes. And tiny. As is the pendant- which I note the included whorls on in an homage to the white stripes.
Hmmm... that could be what the silver whorls represent... except:
metoer_necklace.jpg
is also, you know, small... and not the size of Cloud's head. and has silver whorls...

also...Holy fuck, Squall's crystal is Sephiroth's wing! O.o
sephiroth_necklace.jpg
just kidding about the Sephiroth part, but yeah, the theory it's a wing isn't looking so far fetched at the moment.

One might say that green magic materia, being the most ubiquitous, is the generic materia that represents them all.

I think there are roughly 20 types of spell materia. Fifteen or sixteen types of support materia and independent materia. At least a dozen command types of materia and a dozen summons. With holy and meteor being the only two singular types. Making them rather special. Like, epic quest special. :awesome: But, sure, green materia seems to be more plentiful. Although I'm curious if someone actually has a list of available materia.

Again, not really. In the OG, the white materia WAS noticably distinct from magic materia, both in its tiny size and its very different shade of green and white striping.

Sure. It's quite possible Cloud's crystal is a generic mock-up of any ole materia. **shrug** I'd still like that citation, please.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I guess you could try checking the beginning of Advent Children. They have that flashback of the game events. I think they show the White materia in it.

So...

LOL.

Actually, that's a good idea. :monster:

I found this:
white%20materia%20ff7ac.bmp

compare to the original:
9680110779620557.jpg

The updated version does look darker, the white swirls are not as noticable.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
For anyone interested:

finalfantasyadventchildb.jpg

finalfantasyadventchild.jpg

The "white stripes" seem to be what "water waves" are in marble. The other materia do not have these "waves".

Make that what you wish.

As for me, when I first saw Cloud's crystal, I didn't think "White Materia lookalike!" I thought "Materia lookalike!". And nothing from what I heard and/or read can convince me that this is definitely, absolutely, by all means a White Materia lookalike. It can be... and it can be not.

Cheerios.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
@FHS: I only compared to the pic that Quex gave, because yeah, I DID NOT REMEMBER IT - like it or not, I don't remember everything of FFVII and maybe I will replay it if I can later on, but I didn't obsessed over it to remember each detail, I just remember strong impressions I had while playing it and some details that did mark me.

And I didn't remember seeing the white materia either in AC/C 'cause that was a detail.

Seeing it in AC/C, however, and its updated version, Cloud's crystal could very well be the white materia.

*rollseyes*

Now you have to understand that NO, the OG version does not look like any other materia, including the AC/C one that I didn't even remember either as well. It's not my damn fault they took out all the "white" of the white materia.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
Just for giggles:

Terra: Maduin (?) p
OK: Wind Crystal (?)p
Tidus: Jecht Sphere (?)p
Cloud: Materia (WM) (?)p
Squal: Gunblade/Feather/Wing thing (?)p
Zidane: Game Logo (?)
Bartz: New Job crystal (?)
Firion: Pink thing... (No idea)
Cecil:crystal representing Light and Dark Crystals (?)

I can rather easily make 5 out of 9 (6 out of 9 if you take Zidane's logo as meaningful to him, because it sure as shit isn't meaningful to me) of these crystal's rather personal representations of the world/quests these warriors have to go through on their own world, with rather character specific results. Squall's being the most distinct in personal nature. Whereas Cloud's materia being the WM would simply be a visual representation of the materia needed by the protagonist of his story to save the planet.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone that the materia crystal is the WM. I think it makes sense, and it fits the theme, IMO, but I'm not gonna stomp on anyone else that thinks otherwise. Requiring citation of sources for the other crystals while using nothing more than observational opinion to confirm your own theory is fucktarded and you all know it.

Now, as far as I'm concerned I've contributed all I care to about the subject, because no matter what the materia mock-up is, it changes notta damn thing in any game. It's relevance is non-existent except for to belittle "OMG, those dumb Clerith shippers, they think everything is about Aerith... Hurr hurr."

Lym

♥

So...

LOL.

I looked. Don't ask me why. This thread has a way of sucking you in(please help me). :(

The lines are still visible in the AC depiction of the white materia. It's much easier to see when watching(because talking a screencap of something that's moving can be tricky). The crystal looks cloudy with streaky whiteness in it.

9680110779620557.jpg
whitemateria.jpg

and the Dissidia crystal looks like more like the other materia in AC.

thecrystals.jpg

YuffiesMaterias.jpg

bye

edit - I left the reply window up for ten minutes before I clicked to post it, is why this post is late(not trying to drag it out).

Last edited:

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
@FHS: I only compared to the pic that Quex gave, because yeah, I DID NOT REMEMBER IT - like it or not, I don't remember everything of FFVII and maybe I will replay it if I can later on, but I didn't obsessed over it to remember each detail, I just remember strong impressions I had while playing it and some details that did mark me.

And I didn't remember seeing the white materia either in AC/C 'cause that was a detail.

Seeing it in AC/C, however, and its updated version, Cloud's crystal could very well be the white materia.

*rollseyes*

Now you have to understand that NO, the OG version does not look like any other materia, including the AC/C one that I didn't even remember either as well. It's not my damn fault they took out all the "white" of the white materia.

It is. It is your damn fault they took the white out. It's also your fault that Sephiroth only has one wing, and that Aerith has 2 different name spellings, and the fact that Ichigo loves himself in poetry form. Basically, all fandom wank is your fault. Now, bend over so we can collectively spank you.

On a side note, OG version has popeye arms and triangle tits. Some things change, thank the pixelated gods.

@Lym: you do know that picture of all the Dissidia crystals was done by an artist on DeviantArt and is not at all official in any way, shape or form...

Also, Q posted Cloud's crystal a few pages ago.

Here's another
threeup.jpg

Last edited:

Lym

♥
Alrighty. I didn't know that. I just made a stupid post against my better judgment. >.< But not in any attempt to demean Cloud/Aerith shippers. It's possible to have an opinion that's not LT-related about it.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
@FHS: nope sorry, can't. I'm too busy dealing with smartasses ATM. You know from where. LOL. Beside I'm not a fan of spanking XD *runs away*

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Color, lack of wide white stripes running in parallel bands. And the size. Yes yes, 'But Zidane's was shrunk' but why inflate the WM by 3 or 4 times its diameter?
You're talking about this pic right?

holyornot.jpg

Because I photoshopped the White Materia from ACC into it. I added a little shine to it but that's it. :monster:

So ... maybe it DOES look like the White Materia? :awesome:

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee

holyornot.jpg

Because I photoshopped the White Materia from ACC into it. I added a little shine to it but that's it. :monster:

i can't comprehend what this means right now but i think you just blew my mind

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum

holyornot.jpg

i knew this was shooped

i could tell, from the pixels and having seen many shoops in my time

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Ryu, dearest, I'm just asking you to cite the sources that confirm Cloud's crystal as materia. Any materia. Because, as you so eloquently stated in regards to Squall, the same is valid in regards to Cloud: there is contention about what his crystal is and lack of clarity. Some people see the white materia, some see green materia, and some see neither.

Please, if you'd be so kind, provide examples of those who cannot see it as any kind of materia. Otherwise I'm just going to call this for what it is- being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

So, wouldn't the assertion that Cloud's crystal is any form of materia be subject to the same citatation regulation to avoid mistaken speculation on the matter? It's silly if we're arguing about what materia it represents if it turns out to be a ball of, oh, condensed lifestream or a fancy hair piece. Just saying.

Given that my argument is that it doesn't represent any materia, it turning out to be 'ball of condensed lifestream'- which, for the record, is what we call materia- or hair, it wouldn't be any skin off my back.

Hmmm... that could be what the silver whorls represent... except:
metoer_necklace.jpg
is also, you know, small... and not the size of Cloud's head. and has silver whorls...

also...Holy fuck, Squall's crystal is Sephiroth's wing! O.o
sephiroth_necklace.jpg
just kidding about the Sephiroth part, but yeah, the theory it's a wing isn't looking so far fetched at the moment.

So, Merchandise is absolutely not reliable to represent the genuine article. Noted.

I think there are roughly 20 types of spell materia. Fifteen or sixteen types of support materia and independent materia. At least a dozen command types of materia and a dozen summons. With holy and meteor being the only two singular types. Making them rather special. Like, epic quest special. :awesome: But, sure, green materia seems to be more plentiful. Although I'm curious if someone actually has a list of available materia.

I don't just mean available to the party but in world as well, since you can buy magic materia on the cheap.

Sure. It's quite possible Cloud's crystal is a generic mock-up of any ole materia. **shrug** I'd still like that citation, please.

Except my argument doesn't rely on it. My argument doesn't care if it is a lump of hulk hair. My argument lies in the default claim territory. Claiming that Squall's crystal is one thing or another in particular, does not.

Just for giggles:

Terra: Maduin (?) p
OK: Wind Crystal (?)p
Tidus: Jecht Sphere (?)p
Cloud: Materia (WM) (?)p
Squal: Gunblade/Feather/Wing thing (?)p
Zidane: Game Logo (?)
Bartz: New Job crystal (?)
Firion: Pink thing... (No idea)
Cecil:crystal representing Light and Dark Crystals (?)

I can rather easily make 5 out of 9 (6 out of 9 if you take Zidane's logo as meaningful to him, because it sure as shit isn't meaningful to me) of these crystal's rather personal representations of the world/quests these warriors have to go through on their own world, with rather character specific results.

Except that with Bartz, and Cecil, the 'rather personal representations' are the exact same as 'representations of the world's source of power' and the crystals don't really have a personal relation to Cecil or Firion, for whom the crystal was little more than a subquest. Heck, even with OK, the wind crystal is still 'source of power' as well. And even granting those, it's still less consistent than 'sources of power' which has 9 of ten.

Squall's being the most distinct in personal nature. Whereas Cloud's materia being the WM would simply be a visual representation of the materia needed by the protagonist of his story to save the planet.

Which points out that you're actually trying to use two criteria 1. Personal importance and 2. Quest importance as a single criterion.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone that the materia crystal is the WM. I think it makes sense, and it fits the theme, IMO, but I'm not gonna stomp on anyone else that thinks otherwise. Requiring citation of sources for the other crystals while using nothing more than observational opinion to confirm your own theory is fucktarded and you all know it.

I'm not requiring a source for the other crystals. My quoting of KXCD's citation was a joke for fuck's sake, just meant to emphasize that no one's sure what the hell Squall's thing is, so that citing the wiki without a source isn't helping.

Now, as far as I'm concerned I've contributed all I care to about the subject, because no matter what the materia mock-up is, it changes notta damn thing in any game. It's relevance is non-existent except for to belittle "OMG, those dumb Clerith shippers, they think everything is about Aerith... Hurr hurr."

While I don't think what it is is story relevant either, I DO think what it is or isn't is an interesting point of discussion, and I don't believe it has to be linked for that to be the case.

holyornot.jpg

Actually, I WASN'T referring to that image.

Congratulations. You fail at trapping me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom