PlayStation 4

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
A few remarks:

One: No actual console shown; fail. But then, the fact that only a few days ago some pictures surfaced of just the prototype implies they're right in the middle of the design process.

Two: Lol, 'cloud gaming'. This basically means an infinite source of income for Sony, since every minute playing will cost you (and bring them) money directly, nothing going to retailers (both new and secondhand retailers). But, that's the direction things have been going, I guess; first with DLC (non-transferrable added content, also sold for secondhand games), then with online passes (see: DLC, only more expensive and required to unlock a significant portion of the games), and recently with threats of completely re-sellable games.

Streaming games is even better for Sony and similar publishers, since the player definitely will not own a physical copy of the game. Second, the more someone plays, the more Sony will earn. There's a few people on here that spend hundreds of hours playing a certain game.

But, that's on the assumption it'll be a per-hour / per-period deal, iirc current game streaming services charge a flat monthly fee. In this case, I think they'll either go for a flat monthly fee plus a per-game unlocking charge, or a flat monthly fee per game. I doubt they'll go for a single price strategy.

Also, this'll bite them in the ass if their services go down again.

Three: Hardware. The chip will be an AMD/ATi combined CPU / GPU chip, x86 processor architecture for much easier development than the Cell processor, 8 CPU cores (that's high-end consumer products), and 8 GB of shared memory (that's memory shared by both the GPU and CPU, but that's okay actually, even high-end PC GPU's don't have more than 2 - 3 GB of graphics memory, very few games actually use it, and the rest of that memory will be usable by the games and probably some background services / applications, but those will / should be a lot less memory-intensive than PC's, plus Sony has complete power over those, so they could set heavy constraints if need be).

Also, the whole thing (gpu/cpu) is in a single chip/package, which should help with bringing down production / assembly costs and power usage.

I have more confidence in this thing hardware-wise than I did in the PS3.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Man if I can play fighters, shooters and rpgs with this, then I'm sold. I need to see the new console!

Lex

Administrator
I think a lot of people were expecting them to show the console and ended up disappointed. I've been reading a lot of sources leading up to it so I didn't expect them to show it.

I expected them to tell us about it, show us a bit of what it can do and give us a general release window. They more than delivered on all of that. The fact that you can livestream games from the console means I don't have to buy a HD-PVR. I might have to watch it again, but there were so many "oh wow" moments for me that go way beyond that. Like online is still free, you get to try games on the Cloud and only buy them after you've had a taste etc. These are phenomenal things that I just can't argue with, it's all about the customer.

Sony would have been really stupid to give us a price when the next XBox is yet to be announced. For that reason, it just has to be E3.

I wasn't expecting them to show the console because a picture of it hasn't already leaked online. That usually happens weeks or months before the console is shown. IMO they haven't designed it yet. Considering the devkits shipped with 4GB GDDR5 instead of the 8 they just announced, doesn't seem like the outside design is anywhere near final yet.

Sure, I would have loved to have seen it. But it doesn't bother me. The PS's usually have a design I like and I'm not buying it as a living room set piece anyway.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
And does it REALLY matter what the box looks like? :monster:

Well technically I guess if someone looked hard enough they could get an idea of how many different ports the machine may have o.O

But I agree im not disappointed at all with the lack of the case, the console isnt the case its the innovation built with in.

That said I wish they would have partnered with youtube as well lol, the streaming stuff is great and all but it doesnt replace a PVR as your recordings would be stuck on Ustream (unless you can download stuff off of ustream? IDK I dont use that service :<). And grabbing your content off of youtube is incredibly easy (even if they raep teh quality a little).

I also wonder if with the ustream stuff, if you have to make a new account or can you add your PS4 stuff to an existing one. Or if its some new account type, could it become partnered and can you make money if your a popular streamer just like everyone else? I cant wait to find out the answer to all of these xD

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
And does it REALLY matter what the box looks like? :monster:

I think it does, at least a little. The same goes for all expensive tech. If I'm going to part with a lot of my money for it, I want it to be something desirable on the outside as well as the inside. I want to feel proud of it. I probably won't go around saying "come look at this cool thing I bought", but I'd like to be able to glance over at it when it's sitting by my TV and feel happy with my purchase. If it looks like a swastika coming out of an old man's bumhole, I won't want it in my living room. Could happen :P

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I wasn't expecting a box. I wasn't expecting much specs either, but we actually got quite a bit.

Yes, my expectations are that low. I guess I was expecting Sony to have about as much to say as Square did (i.e.; nothing).

Obviously there's no real jump in technology to make a drastically new console yet. So even though it's a PS4, it's pretty much a glorified PS3 2.0 (or is it 9.0?), with more networking and slightly better graphics. Which is fine. I like that they're just tweaking everything. They haven't even abandoned the eye toy.

Something tells me the box is going to have that horrible 80's washboard like the current PS3 slim, though.

In any case, I'm glad they're taking advantage of the remote play because that's really what I use my PSP/PS3 for, and it really needs updating. For years I was dreading Sony abandoning that feature because there was the possibility they weren't getting revenue for PS Classics and the like. I guess I should thank Nintendo for that.

I also like the idea of integrating liveplay and capture cards, but it seems like they could really enforce what's recorded down the line. So I probably won't abandon the idea of buying a $200 Hauppage any time soon.

I don't see retail-locking games. It's getting there, but it's more of a chipping process than a flat-out decree. People would abandon consoles completely. If they cloud game everything, good luck, I don't even pay MMOs because of subscriptions. They get more revenue out of me buying single-player retail games than anything else.

Nintendo gets to play it safe because they're just now dabbling in HD. What irritated me most about the conference (but expected) is that they started off good with announcing specs, then devolved into copying Nintendo's conference about tablets word for word. Again, I like that it results in better remote play functionality, but write your own script please.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wanted to see the console but it's okay since it's not the most important thing. They talked about its capabilities and showed games etc.

Nintendo did show the Wii U at the unveiling but that didn't really help the presentation now did it. :P

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I wasn't expecting to see the physical box either, but I also should say that the DS4 Controller is a pretty clear representation of everything that they wanted to show off about it. So long as we've got specs on what it will be, I'm pretty sure that it'll look like a console, and not a hunk of garbage. This also makes me glad that they're waiting to show a finished version and not just showing a current prototype. Case in point -- the controller they showed was MUCH prettier than the leaked images of the ones with the Dev Box, despite being quite similar (although it seems as though the L1/R1 are labeled upside down?).

*Insert joke about how everyone thought that WiiU was just a new Wii peripheral even though they showed their console, but Sony only showed a new DS4 controller and PS4 Eye, and everyone knows that it's for a new system.

Really, I'm optimistic about their cloud-streaming services and the cost for them, if only because they've been SO DAMN GOOD about their services so far being very cost effective / cheap (PSN Online being free, and PS+ basically giving you free shit all the time). If their model for the PS4 is anything like what they have now, I can't see myself being disappointed with it.

All in all, if they deliver on what they're aiming toward and keep with the same type of models that they have now, and don't go all "corporate greedy bastard" I think that this will be a big win for them.

X :neo:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
The only way Nintendo's unveiling of the Wii U would've helped is if the box had 100$ bills strapped to the box which people could acquire if they'd buy the console on launch date.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
They really did underrepresent the console, when it's actually a fairly impressive bit of tech ingenuity, if not raw specs.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/21/4012138/playstation-4-wont-block-used-games-says-sony

The PS4 OFFICIALLY won't block used games.

Your move, Microsoft.

X :neo:

Everyone already pretty much knew Sony wasn't going to do it despite their patent applications, :monster: The backlash from most of the consumer base would probably kill the company's games division.

Controller looks alright, although (and this is personal preference) it looks like it's yet to reach the ergonomics of the other competing controllers. Extra functionality ftw though, and I've always preferred the d-pad of the Playstation controllers since the first one.

As always, I care less about the console itself than the actual games line-up. Give us more Watch Dogs, more new IPs than another exclusive-franchise sequel. This goes for the other consoles as well, not just the PS4, but I really don't give a two shits if it's a shining technological marvel if the launch titles aren't diverse.

Fingers crossed yo

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
@ Fighter: Honestly, I could give a shit less about being able to upload stuff to Facebook, as I barely use it anymore. That being said, I'm still VERY excited about the Share feature for let's plays, game sharing, and the way you're allowed to interact together with other gamers. Being able to sit in a game and watch other people, assisting people virtually, asking for help out to the net - it's all really neat. Since a ton of my friends don't live close enough to game with locally, bringing the virtual experience as close to playing in the same room with someone as possible has me absolutely thrilled.

The functionality is cool. But that could easily be done from the options menu.

I'm willing to bet the nagging button at your finger tips IS there to easier spam your facebook and advertise their shit. I just don't know... would rather not have that sheep bait in front of my eyes.

I am also interested in how intrusive all the online features are and how well the privacy options are implemented. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but I'm not a huge fan of some guy in marketing monitoring my play sessions. I have enough of it with all the PC DRM bullshit.

Last edited:

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
That being said, I'm still VERY excited about the Share feature for let's plays

i, for one, am ready for the pewdiepie BRO ARMY to start flooding the internet with their own knockoff LPs now that they have the ease of the share button

(i use humor to disguise my pain)

Lex

Administrator
i, for one, am ready for the pewdiepie BRO ARMY to start flooding the internet with their own knockoff LPs now that they have the ease of the share button

(i use humor to disguise my pain)

I know those feels <3

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...I've never been a fan of this corporate/advertising shift of "social networking" within all spheres of digital entertainment. Especially when it comes to gaming.

If E&A's latest debacle with the new Sim City is any indication of how companies are planning to do things. No thanks. Fuck "Cloud Gaming." I really don't want to spend a fortune on another Playstation that can basically just spy on what I play, who I interact with, and then constantly change its user license and update policy whenever it feels like it. :monster:

Just seems like a really pointless upgrade at this point.

Top Bottom