PlayStation 4

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'll try to get more details tomorrow when I have a proper weekend day free, but here's what I've thought so far:

It's a slick as hell little system. It's WAY smaller and lighter than my old PS3. and it's just really smooth. Setting up the new profile options are nice an communicative, but getting BACK to those options to adjust them were a little confusing at first, but I believe I've got it all done the way I want now. The store is WICKED quick, ESPECIALLY compared to the PS3. The layout is familiar and all the cross-buy & cross-play stuff is really well labeled. For some reason, the PS4 store isn't recognizing my PS+ right now, so I haven't tried to grab any downloadable games 'til that kicks in (even though it still shows my profile as PS+ and my subscription shows active in the settings). I tried streaming a trailer for a game, but it didn't work well at all, though that could VERY well be my shit internet (thinking about picking up a new router).

The main menu is WAY different and tbqh I still like the PS3 version better in that respect. I couldn't see a way ta browse to my external HDD, so my PS3 is still gonna be my non-disc-based media center til that changes. The live streaming is fucking rad. I dropped in on a bunch of kids playing various games and it works REALLY well. It's got the potential to be an absolutely awesome community if they handle it right.

The controllers are fucking great. They're just a dream. They're lightweight and super responsive. I'm contemplating picking up one of the PS4 cameras, but I'll probably wait til it has a benefit other than facial recognition and has a game I'm interested in for functionality.

Aside from that, I'm updating my Vita to test out cross-play and those features and stuff tonight. Hopefully they'll iron out any little kinks in the store, etc. fairly soon. My only other observation is I don't think it has a proper start-up sound, but it does have background music from the main menu. It might just be playing games with certain soundtracks like Parasite Eve as a kid, but to me the music goes from really calming to creepy as hell and back again. xD;;;

More opinions once I get off work and get back home. I still have homework and other things to finish Saturday, so it might be delayed - plus I'm setting it up to work out of the main room and my bedroom without needing to move it (not that moving the little thing would even be an issue with its compact size and two little cables).

X :neo:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Thanks for all that detail. It sounds like one sexy piece of equipment. Now I'm off to service the boytoy to convince him that we need one. :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
The console is so slick and smooth, the controller is pure sweetness and I can't say anymore because I've been waiting for an hour to be logged in on PSN, I'm sure it won't be long now.

:monsterwait:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
You think Cloud being spotted in a PS4 video means anything? Let us know in our PS4 thread.

i dont think cloud appearing will mean anything. its just simple trolling. i mean we've had bigger leads (the very very last scene in CC) and that didnt mean a single thing. *shrug* nah, just a simple cameo.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Minor update:

The store recognizes PS+, but it's not immediately obvious because EVERYTHING has a "Buy X Months of PS+" thing attached to it.

Picked up a bunch of free games, and I'm now really liking the new menu layout (aside from the inability to browse my external HDD). The game downloading and alert system is excellent. Additionally, you can cross-buy some games (like Flower) and if you own the original, the PS4 version costs nothing (and you can earn the trophies again for the PS4 version). That's cool in the case of Flower, but I'm wondering if some bigger games might implement any save data/progress transfer.

Minor note: the super-grippy analog sticks made the skin on my super-girly thumbs kinda sore after playing Resogun.

Additionally The Playroom makes me want to go pick up one of the PS4 cameras. I might do that and post more opinions if I do.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^I thought that meant you couldn't RUN something off of an external HDD. If it can't even read it can it read flash drives?

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Perhaps you need to reformat the drive specifically for the PS4 to use? It should be able to read external drives in some capacity, seeing as loading the Day One patch from flash drive was actually an option for purchase.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
None of the next-gen consoles are supporting external HDD use, though it's been mentioned in the past that storage can be done in some capacity and for the PS4 you can swap the internal out for larger HDDS (up to a certain size, since larger HDDs are physically larger and the clearance of the HDD slot on the PS4 is limited due to the dimensions of the box)

Full external HDD support is a thing that Sony and Microsoft were all like "oh we'll just patch that shit in for later"

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
My HDD is FAT32 formatted, so it should essentially recognize like a flash drive, aside from the fact that it's a 2TB drive. :P

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Sony sells over one million copies of the PS4 in 24 hours

So after a 2 and a half hour wait on Friday I was finally logged on PSN. I like the new layouts, messaging people is much easier and so is downloading games. PS Store was acting a little weird at first but then it was working fine. Sony gave us a few free games there and until Killzone arrives next week they're all I got. I downloaded Contrast, DC Universe Online, Warframe and Resogun. Warframe sucks but Resogun is absolutely addicting.

Also I made an unboxing video for shits and giggles:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
If the cable goes out in my house silence will fall and the Pandorica will open. You do not want that to happen. :monster:

Lex

Administrator
cable

cable

cable

....and more cable

I love you Carlie <3. Give me your PS4 immediately.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, I shared a gameplay video of me kicking ass & saving humans in RESOGUN on my Facebook (since that's the only way to share them right now). It should be posted publicly, if any of you guys wanna check it out: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151733899776497&l=8866001655247040666

That all being said, controlling sharing settings is easy, but I'll be super glad when I can just drop the content on YouTube and share it via my G+ instead. Also- the messages center make it really easy to check upload progresses and other things. Speaking of which, the PS4 seems really good about managing downloads and things while playing games or streaming content. I'll HOPEFULLY try out a content stream on the weekend as soon as my roommate's back and we figure out why the wireless connection is total shit.

Lastly, using the Vita as a controller works really intuitively and smoothly in case I forgot to mention that earlier. If you guys have questions, I'd love ta answer them/test them.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
X lets add each other on PSN so we can rock RESOGUN's co op. I'm absolutely addicted to that game.

Guys I keep grabbing my PS4 controller from time to time and stroking it, I think I need help. :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
X lets add each other on PSN so we can rock RESOGUN's co op. I'm absolutely addicted to that game.

Guys I keep grabbing my PS4 controller from time to time and stroking it, I think I need help. :monster:

Oh my. Yes plz. This sounds like the most lovely plan. (I'm X--SOLDIER on PSN). Bulletstorm games like this are like drugs for me, and the very IDEA of Co-Op sounds amazing. It'll probably be on the weekend though, since other times probably won't allow me to stay hooked to my screen for exorbitant periods of time. :awesomonster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
My HDD is FAT32 formatted, so it should essentially recognize like a flash drive, aside from the fact that it's a 2TB drive. :P

So are mine. I should be able to just plug it in, right?

Not that I'm getting a PS4 anytime soon.

Top Bottom