PlayStation 4

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Oh my. Yes plz. This sounds like the most lovely plan. (I'm X--SOLDIER on PSN). Bulletstorm games like this are like drugs for me, and the very IDEA of Co-Op sounds amazing. It'll probably be on the weekend though, since other times probably won't allow me to stay hooked to my screen for exorbitant periods of time. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Friend request sent. :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Eagerly awaiting for DPD to deliver my PS4. Thank God I'm not bored and without something to do until then.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
So can anyone answer me this: why isn't my Playstation Plus membership showing on the PS4?

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
It should, I think X had a similar problem at first but then it appeared fine.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
tumblr_mfdxz0belO1r2daiko1_500.gif

Like that? :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
It should, I think X had a similar problem at first but then it appeared fine.
It took quite some digging and Googling, but you have to find the Renew Licenses from one of the sub-options under System. Completely fixed it. Wish this was pointed out a lot better, had to go through several PS forums to find it.

Yes. :D

So who's got a PS4 and what are your first impressions? :huh:
What games are out for it right now?
And other than play games what else does it do?
I have a PS4. First impressions can be read here.

There are quite some games out for it at the moment, but I only have Resogun, Contrast and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag right now for it. I've already played ACIV at Eurogamer nearly three months ago, so it's mainly been all about Resogun as I've heard many great things.

As for the other stuff? I can watch catch-up TV, stream gameplay and so on.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-04-gran-turismo-6-microtransaction-pricing-revealed

This "Fee to play" shit is getting to me. I didnt care *that much* when it was in F2P MMO's because hey servers arent cheap and free.

But to fucking add Microtransanctions to a game you already paid 60$ for? What the hell.
Thats like paying for a Gym Membership and then being asked to pay to use the bench press or squat rack.

I wasnt to bothered when I saw XpensiveOne games using Microtransactions (Ryse, Forza 5 , KI) because you know M$ and junk. Heck I could even try to look the other way if a 3rd party dev tried this bs (EA, BF3, NBA2k14) because theirs nothing M$ and $ony can really do about that.

But a game straight from Sony doing it is just sad. I had really hoped they were above this and in all honesty the prices are just ridiculous (119$ usd for 1 car).

Sure one can argue its optional and it doesnt *affect gameplay*. That might be true but the problem is it affects game design! The reason microtransaction's exist and the reason they inevitably get purchased is because the game design is flawed by their existence.

The devs have to amp the grind to make the purchase of a boost or even out right purchase of an item a rewarding experience. At the base game level maybe you only had to kill 10 monsters for a level up, but with the introduction of cash shops they have to ramp up that same level up to 30 monsters to make the purchase of an Exp boost worth while. It always affects the gamer who doesnt want to purchase these items.
Heck theres already tons of reports of Forza 5 being one of the grindiest console games to date.

It bugs me that this is slowly becoming a thing on console. I totally understand cash shops and microtransactions in games that are "free" but to put it on game that already costs 60$ is just terrible.

7X6qsdq.gif

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The devs have to amp the grind to make the purchase of a boost or even out right purchase of an item a rewarding experience. At the base game level maybe you only had to kill 10 monsters for a level up, but with the introduction of cash shops they have to ramp up that same level up to 30 monsters to make the purchase of an Exp boost worth while. It always affects the gamer who doesnt want to purchase these items.
This is the salient point. When I started playing GTA Online, I wasn't bothered by the existence of microtransactions - I didn't have to use them, as I was happy to earn money the traditional way, but I also didn't mind if someone else chose to spend their money that way. With every single patch that has come out since launch, however, the money earned from missions has gone down, restrictions have been added to stop players from repeating the same missions over and over (which should be their choice, if you ask me - they paid for the game), and the one or two viable money-making methods in free mode have been nerfed or disabled altogether.

I'm not saying I only played the game to earn money, but it feels like a huge slap in the face nevertheless. I could have bought a tank or a helicopter by now - which would have added a new level of fun to the free mode - but the only way to get that much cash now is to buy it from Rockstar.

Microtransactions in predominantly single-player games like Gran Turismo are probably even worse. I've been a fan of the series since the first game came out and could definitely have seen myself buying GT6, but I'll give it a miss now.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
As long as microsanctions aren't forced on me, that's cool. I don't like the idea of them anyway, it feels like cheating personally. I'd rather earn whatever I need in the game rather than just buying it.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Microtransactions in predominantly single-player games like Gran Turismo are probably even worse. I've been a fan of the series since the first game came out and could definitely have seen myself buying GT6, but I'll give it a miss now.

In all fairness, you're not forced to buy stuff on GT6 it seems. Updates should be free and you pay for in-game money... in case you do not want to grind it. I'm happy to grind (although it seems GT6 is slower to grind than GT5) and so I won't be paying for money. But if it keeps new tracks and cars free, I'm okay with that. Give players the choice to spend or not spend without actually limiting any content. Seems good enough for me.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The thing with any kind of microtransaction game is that the grind will just increase exponentially until you either go WELL FUCK THIS or okay it's just $0.79 why not lol.

IIRC, you could unlock all the cars or get a bunch of cars in the PS3 version, too - called DLC. It was still a full game without the DLC though.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Ah, Alex, you put the case exactly as I would have done before my GTA Online experience :)

It is difficult to get the balance right between good, honest grinding and microtransactions. Rockstar went too far towards microtransactions, in my view, but maybe the situation is better with Polyphony and Gran Turismo 6. My default position is now scepticism, though.

Speaking of "micro"transactions, I see that the Lotus E21, the most expensive car in Forza 5 for the Xbox One, costs £32.50 in tokens. And to get it at that price, you actually have to buy twice as many tokens, which costs £64.99. If you wanted only that one car and nothing else, it would cost you at least £53.55. That no longer satisfies the definition of micro. You could buy a whole standalone F1 game for that price!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
And yet, some people spend that kinda money. Either because they really want it and have the money, or because they have no clue (because it's spent in 'tokens'). Rich people don't care about spending money, it is known. Like I'm sure there's plenty of people that buy this app for fuck knows why.

Lex

Administrator
I hate EA and they're evil, but I think they did the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer right re: microtransactions. To unlock new characters, weapons, upgrades etc you need to buy packs - they give you a random assortment of each depending on what they're called and their price (i.e. expensive character pack has high chance for rare characters) - you can buy them if you want but you get credits to buy them in-game from playing matches well, so it's fair. Higher difficulty matches get you a shitload more credits for example.

Man I want to play it now :sadpanda:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
It's a shame you weren't around last night, as I was actually playing the ME3 multiplayer and you, besides Marcus, were the only one I thought of.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I hate EA and they're evil, but I think they did the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer right re: microtransactions. To unlock new characters, weapons, upgrades etc you need to buy packs - they give you a random assortment of each depending on what they're called and their price (i.e. expensive character pack has high chance for rare characters) - you can buy them if you want but you get credits to buy them in-game from playing matches well, so it's fair. Higher difficulty matches get you a shitload more credits for example.

Man I want to play it now :sadpanda:

Thats the problem though.

Microtransaction games universally offer a method to buy the items you want with IRL cash or free in game credit you earn. Thats nothing new.
The problem is that they have to scale the free credits proportionally to the Cash shop.

Why buy a exp/credit boost if its not that bad to grind it out yourself by playing? So they do one of two things

A) Scale down how much in game currency you earn per match.
B) Scale up how much in game items cost with the free currency.

The worst part is that a lot of these games dont simply choose A or B, they do both. On top of all of this these games are not free.
Games like League of Legends, Planet side 2, Blacklight Retribution get away with this because you dont have to drop 60$ to play the game you can play it 100% for free but ofcourse theres always incentives to buy exp, and currency boosts (or flat out items/characters). Thats fine and dandy though because server costs arent free and they are not getting a free 60$ to begin with.

Microtransactions always tip the scale in favor of the microtransactions, the house always win and the player always loses.
Just look at the trends GT and Forza were universally less "grindy" in there older counterparts and the cash shops werent as pricey.

Now all of a sudden the cash shops amp up there reach and then they have the crass to also scale back how much you earn in game for free.

There is absolutely nothing fair about microtransactions in games that are not free.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Ok so yesterday my PS4 randomly logged me off PSN and refused to let me back or recognized my wifi for the rest of the day. I'm about to check if it's still doing it or not but has anyone else encountered this problem?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Nope, I've had no problems besides the launch date. I'm downloading free games swimmingly well right now as I post this.

Top Bottom