PlayStation 4

Lex

Administrator
I can't speak for all PS4's but mine has been fine.

Do it Russell. Don't play Inquisition on a last gen console. It's too pretty.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I'm so tired of trying to get my PC to work with games.
I took it back to a shop to get repaired 4 times, I'm still getting blue screens of death. :sigh:

I know PC gaming is superior, but at least consoles work. A consoles strength is it's convenience, my patience has run out for PC gaming. It's a pain in the arse and I'm sick of it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Has it been a year already? I'm getting le old, :monster:.

I did read today that some people made a print of a faked Amazon page and took it to Wal-Mart or wherever where they had a thing going "Yeah we'll match ANYONE'S bargain offers!11one", so some people got a PS4 for $90 or so. idk.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Has it been a year already? I'm getting le old, :monster:.

Indeed it has, Sam's Club has Second Son for 20 dollars, surprisingly. I guess they had overstock, even amazon isn't that low. But I grabbed one even though I won't have a ps4 until next month.

Lex

Administrator

I am so so so so tired of this argument. Unless a PC has a value of about £800 and was built within the last month, it's not going to look as pretty as the PS4 version that I'm playing right now. PC graphics will outpace the current gen consoles in maybe a year or two, but even then the right system will cost you about £600 to play at max.

Whereas you can buy a PS4 for £300 and save yourself that hassle. I understand why there's elitism around PC gaming - the games are cheaper, they're moddable, you can make them look a lot nicer, piracy is far easier. But there are other factors to consider.

I primarily see my PC or laptop as a multipurpose thing, but there's nothing like picking up a controller and turning on the console. This might seem antiquated, but having a dedicated gaming device is different from having a PC that is capable of playing games. And no, getting a USB controller/ wireless controller for the PC isn't the same, because you're still at the PC. That's not even considering compatibility issues. Your console is always going to run the games that are available for it.

tl;dr even if I do get really into PC gaming, I'm always going to be a console gamer too.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I am so so so so tired of this argument. Unless a PC has a value of about £800 and was built within the last month, it's not going to look as pretty as the PS4 version that I'm playing right now.

Debatable.

It really comes down to supply and demand as the prices for PC Parts do vary heavily at times due to it (especially certain vid cards).

One month PS4 may easily be the more affordable option.

Another I can make a PC almost twice as powerful as a PS4 for maybe 200$ more than its price. (600-700 usd). This gen is great bang for your buck in graphics power but just like last generation it was out dated significantly at release.

I will how ever say that on console you are more often guaranteed better quality on AAA titles just for virtue of the fact that almost universally over the last 2 years a ton of ports have been absolutely abysmal. Shitty UI's, sketchy driver support, worse frame rates than the console version (Cough AC:U cough). They completely half ass the ports lately.

Sure the game might look prettier on PC but that is imo not worth the frustration of dealing with a shitty interface.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I'd love to go full on PC gaming, but it's been a hassle.

Right now I want to go PS4 for triple A games (and the convenience) then use my PC for cheaper indie games/moddable/PC exclusive games or games I really want.
I've been playing Civilization Beyond Earth on PC and loving it despite the occasional blue screen of death. I've also been trying to get back into Eve Online but my PC troubles have put me off.

*ponders*

I'm off shopping, maybe I'll come back poorer maybe I won't. :wacky:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
For me, PC gaming is neat because I can alt-tab to internets and chat windows and shit without severe discomfort, :awesome:. Off course, console gaming is neat because I can use my epic chair for that.

The main thing that irks me about consoles though is that their performance varies - I mean, most games on the ye olde consoles had a constant frame rate and performance, nowadays it varies greatly.

What I hope is that the console manufacturers lay down the law next year, where they require all games to run at a constant 30 FPS at HD or better resolutions, no slowdowns, stutter, framedrops, or anything allowed, liek ever.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I primarily see my PC or laptop as a multipurpose thing, but there's nothing like picking up a controller and turning on the console. This might seem antiquated, but having a dedicated gaming device is different from having a PC that is capable of playing games. And no, getting a USB controller/ wireless controller for the PC isn't the same, because you're still at the PC. That's not even considering compatibility issues. Your console is always going to run the games that are available for it.

tl;dr even if I do get really into PC gaming, I'm always going to be a console gamer too.

highestoffives_zpsmoagvwnz.gif

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I want a PC game machine, but all my work is on my only PC and I'm too afraid to stick a graphics card in it. Also I cant be arsed to rig a new PC, even though I have a few desktop towers around here.

It's just easier for me to rig a shit load of adapter and upscalers to my PC monitor and hook my consoles to it. Essentially they are self-housed graphic cards that don't put any load on my PC. :wacky:

But whenever I do,
k8VnrAq.png

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I can't thank Lex's post enough, it states everything I feel towards PC and console gaming. I do want to get a gaming PC eventually, but I'll primarily be a console gamer.

As for my PS4, it's remained in excellent condition and if anything, it's only crashed on me once at the most. The updates aren't as frequent as the PS3 and the PSN doesn't go down as much either, both of which I must say are good things. Whilst there are probably more multiplatform games than exclusives for the console, I'd still take this any day.

And I'd highly advise you buy PS+. You need it to play online, but otherwise, it's a brilliant service that supplies free games every month for PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. Whilst the games may not always be to everyone's taste, it's still better than nothing. I've personally discovered games from the service that I would've never heard of and/or bought. For me, £40 a year is a steal.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As much as I hate to interrupt your console circlejerk, unfortunately, you've gotten me all wrong.

I'm not talking about graphics at all. And I almost never use a controller on a PC. Nor do I consider myself a PC elitist. Indeed, I am rather annoyed at how console manufacturers have been slowly but surely whittling away consoles advantages by making them more like PCs (having to install games and worry about space, firmware updates, needing to authenticate things on the internet before using them, etc). I am, 9 times out of 10, a console gamer. But there are exceptions for certain types of games. And CRPGs are one of them. I agree that playing a PC with a controller isn't the same, the problem is I have absolutely zero desire to play Dragon Age with a controller. CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age, RTSes like Command Conquer, flight and space simulators, MMOs, Elder Scrolls and Fallout games... these are all games that, to my mind, require the amount of inputs and multitasking that playing on a PC affords you.
I know that they've made improvements to controller inputs for these kinds of things, but there's no denying it's inferior. DA1 lacked a tactical view entirely on consoles. Skyrim's default menus are atrocious compared to SkyUI. RTSes still suck on consoles. I can preset so many more ability icons in FFXIV. And those are all things I can do with nearly any computer, but keep talking about money.

Lex

Administrator
As much as I hate to interrupt your console circlejerk

I'm taking a step back from this discussion because this is just bang out Force. I don't know what's been stuck in your craw lately but it's now gone well beyond your usual prickliness.

Don't be a dick etc.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I can see why he would call it a circlejerk though. I dont see it as him being a dick he's just calling it what it is.

You made a really misinformed post about PC gaming in general that was really off base and incorrect to which the replies were "Good points Lex!" I'm sorry but spreading misinformation and then having it praised is definitely a circlejerk.

I didnt break your post down last time around because I didnt want to be a dick but everything you said in that post was just flat out incorrect and misleading. Ill skip the subjective stuff (like sitting down with a controller lol).

I am so so so so tired of this argument. Unless a PC has a value of about £800 and was built within the last month, it's not going to look as pretty as the PS4 version that I'm playing right now. PC graphics will outpace the current gen consoles in maybe a year or two, but even then the right system will cost you about £600 to play at max.

Maybe I'm misreading your post. But you seem to be implying that currently only the latest PC's have better graphical fidelity than the current gen consoles?

If so that is a really strange (and grossly incorrect) statement to make. Current gen consoles are running on out dated hardware. Hell I could load up BF3 on ultra on my PC and it will look better than any game on console today. Several year old PC's can still crank out better looking games then Bone/PS4. Hell most games today still look better on PC at medium graphic settings.

This might seem antiquated, but having a dedicated gaming device is different from having a PC that is capable of playing games

Yeah it is different lol. The PC is better. I can dick around in CS:GO , skype and watch netflix at the same time without turning my head. Its pretty nifty lol. Get stuck in a game? I dont have to bust out a tablet or walk to my pc to load up youtube.

I know this point was subjective but there are few upsides to sitting down on your couch 6ft away from the console just to do 1 thing.

And no, getting a USB controller/ wireless controller for the PC isn't the same, because you're still at the PC.

It is the same thing though. If for some reason I felt like using a controller instead of KB+M it would be the exact same experience except I would have the benefit of also being at my pc at the same time.

That's not even considering compatibility issues

What is this 2002? What do you even mean by compatibility issues? Do you mean patching where if I were in the hypothetical year of 2002 I would have to scour major geeks, fileplanet or the Official site of the game for 1 patcher so I can play on LAN than guess what. That has been covered by Steam for a really long time now.

Or do you mean in that scenario where your PC wont be powerful enough to play a video game? Because that doesn't really happen. If for some reason you have a PC that is old as fuck and cant play a game there are for generally tons of resources available to make it playable via modding. IF for some reason that still doesn't work than your not playing on a PC. You're on a potato and this is a ridiculous reason to mark down PC gaming.

Your console is always going to run the games that are available for it.

See above. Also I heard the guys on the bone have had a real issue trying to play the H:MCC these last 2 weeks ;).

Or how about just being a gamer who realizes that there are more then a handful of ways to enjoy games and for certain genres of gaming PC is objectively the better choice. (See Forces post).

Sorry for being a dick and I know you weren't trying to purposefully be disingenuous but almost everything you said is flat out wrong and was picked out from a pool of misinformation and BS that has been parroted and perpetuated for decades now.

I am so so so so tired of this argument

So are "pc gamers".

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'd like to comment on this but I think it's starting to derail the thread a bit. Perhaps the last few posts should be split out?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm taking a step back from this discussion because this is just bang out Force. I don't know what's been stuck in your craw lately but it's now gone well beyond your usual prickliness.

Don't be a dick etc.

Firstly, I... didn't know I was usually prickly? But, secondly, well, wasn't that what it was? I guess I could have added a monster to it, sorry.
I was a little miffed that everyone immediately assumed me to be part of the PC master race crowd when that wasn't what I was saying. And I wasn't exactly sure the argument I was making that you were "so so so tired" of, but I was merely elaborating.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So, after waffling a bunch, I got a PS4 :awesomonster:

It's the white Destiny Bundle, and I also got Shadow of Mordor out of the deal. I will check Destiny out, but I think it's pretty likely that I'll sell it and get something else, I was mostly interested in the white ps4, haha

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Buy Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Also hit me up if you wanna give Destiny a shot.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
If I get this and don't have PS plus, can I still play FFXIV?

Lex

Administrator
I can confirm that yes, you can :)

It'd be pretty shitty if you had to pay for two subscriptions to play that game lol.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'll get Plus eventually, but I have to get the console and an HD converter right now. Been playing without sound for the past month. ;_;

But yay, year membership is $10 less than I thought it was gonna be.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Massive fangasm.

I hope someone here that doesn't have a PS4 yet gets it, then we can all pretend it's ours too.

Top Bottom