PlayStation 4

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I definitely won't be buying it right away. I'll want it with my whole entire being, but there's no point.

I don't regret buying my Vita by any means, but I've basically played all the games I'm interested in at the moment so it sits on a shelf waiting until I get bored enough to either replay a PS1 or PSP game.

I'd consider buying it at launch if it has PS3 backwards compatibility, which I suspect it will. I don't think it'll have PS2 backwards compatibility, but PS3 games are already in HD and look great. The only real "enhancement" would be slightly smoother edges in some areas.

I'm a bit fucked if they release an Uncharted game on it at launch though, because I'm going to need that in my life. I genuinely don't care about controller functionality, as long as it remains similar to the dualshock design, which I suspect it will.

Anyone remember the fiasco when they tried to do this? -
ps3-first-controller.jpg

I dont get why people hate on that controller prototype, its based on steering wheel design which is meant to increase comfort for extended use.

If people werent closed minded at E3 that year and stopped bashing something without even using a bit of logic we could have been using an extremely comfortable controller right now.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I agree about the boomerang, I actually wanted it too. I know the PS1 dualshock is a sound design, but they didn't really make any attempts at improving it through the consoles. They just modded it to become wireless like a last-minute thing.

One thing I wish Sony would do is make the D-pad a wheel-shape, like the Genesis and Xbox controllers. It would make fighters so much easier without having to break out a stick. I can never make diagonal inputs properly with Sony's D-Pad. On anything.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
One of the reasons I HATE xbox is because of the controller, so I really, really hope the PS controller isn't modified to be more like it. That would ruin the experience. If you want a cumbersome brick in your hand, use an xbox, do not screw with the ps controller.

Last edited:

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
I'm pretty sure nobody else posted this design here, so to expand upon the code name...

U.S. patent 20120302347A1 / hybrid separable motion controller:

sony-controller-patent-1.jpg

(Source: http://bit.ly/11vRecX)

Suddenly it all comes together. Orbis makes a little sense now. Perhaps throwing in Sony's prototype 4K media player unveiled at CES 2013 might whet layman understanding of the company's working innards further:

4K_video_player_16_9.jpg

(Source: RedShark)

A bare coincidence? Or expressive insight? Either way, about thirteen days left for official word.

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether there is any information that supercedes this, so apologies in advance.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Yeah I've never had a problem with the PS controller shape, and I'd spend whole days playing.

Lex

Administrator
Reports are saying it's going to cost around 40,000Yen = ~$430 = ~£270. I predict it'll be a little higher than that. The US will probably see it at around $450-499 and the UK will be shafted as usual, they'll make us pay something like £399 for it, guaranteed. I might import if that happens again.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've seen nothing to substantiate that report, really. But at the same time, ti doesn't exactly take a financial analyst to guess that.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
hey sony

>backwards compatibility
>solid launch titles
>good exclusives

please and thank you

learn from nintendo's $450 paperweight

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yop's probably right about the backwards compatibility, the PS3's architecture (the Cell processor) might prevent that from being possible...
I can't remember seeing any console ever actually have a really solid launch lineup. And if they did it was usually followed by a drought.
Sony DOES always have good exclusives though, they've got a really great first party stable.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
having at least one solid title is better than having none, though. or having at least a few decent games out within the first month of launch (LOOKIN AT U NINTENDO....)

the lack of backwards compatibility puts me off so much. i'm just gonna sit out this nextgen until the inevitable price drop

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Are you planning on selling your PS3 to get it?

I don't really think I'm getting it right off the bat either, the PS3 was actually the only console I've ever done that with. Unless there's something really calling to me on it, I guess.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
the ps3 was a joint purchase so prolly not :C

and i will bleed myself dry before i part with my xbox

i have 99 problems and money is all of them :C

Roogle

Fortune Teller
Reports are saying it's going to cost around 40,000Yen = ~$430 = ~£270. I predict it'll be a little higher than that. The US will probably see it at around $450-499 and the UK will be shafted as usual, they'll make us pay something like £399 for it, guaranteed. I might import if that happens again.

That is very expensive. I remember hearing complaints when the Playstation 3 came out and sold for $300, right? That seems like such a low price compared to paying over $400 for a console. I doubt that I would buy it unless it had a Final Fantasy game or some high profile title as a launch title; otherwise, I would wait until a price drop. Am I correct in remembering the Playstation 3 selling for $300 on its release?

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
Am I correct in remembering the Playstation 3 selling for $300 on its release?

Somehow I remember the price baited at ~€450. I could be wrong though. What I am certain of is that it went for no less than €300.

Correction: It was pushed at $499, $599, and in at least one case $799.

(Source: Wikipedia)

It dropped here to around €300.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That is very expensive. I remember hearing complaints when the Playstation 3 came out and sold for $300, right? That seems like such a low price compared to paying over $400 for a console. I doubt that I would buy it unless it had a Final Fantasy game or some high profile title as a launch title; otherwise, I would wait until a price drop. Am I correct in remembering the Playstation 3 selling for $300 on its release?

No, the complaints when the ps3 launched were because it was $600. $400's pretty normal for a new console.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah it launched at around $600. The original Playstation launched at around £400 in the UK too. When you factor in inflation, that's really fucking expensive. By comparison to previous console launches, if the information about the PS4 is accurate, it's actually the cheapest at launch a Playstation has ever been. We'll see though.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
So what do you need the BC for then? :awesomonster:

convenience? when i envisioned the future i didn't think we'd need three generations of hardware ass up against each other in the entertainment center.

we mostly have hard copies of all the games we own (ps2/1 era) and the ps3 isn't backwards compatible. it'd be nice to not be forced to digitally rebuy games we already have.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Backwards compatibility was one of the best things the PS2 had going for it. Even if I could have afforded it, the lack of BC would have killed the idea of getting a PS3 when it came out :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Backwards compatibility was one of the great things about the PS2. Mine still works after 12 years and a ridiculous amount of mileage.

Lex

Administrator
I have one of the earliest fat black PS2's. Just before FFXII came out, I bought and fitted a swap magic cover. It still works to this day. And if things go wrong with it, they're so easy to fix too.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I paid $700 for my 150GB PS3 back in 2009, but Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Resistance 2, and a blu-ray remote all came with it. I still think it's the most I've thrown down for a console.

I think the main reason I bought it was for Resident Evil 5.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Sony Books Huge Venue for PlayStation Meeting, Perfect Place for PS4 Reveal.

well with less than a week left until Sony's big announcement it seems they are pulling out all the stops. renting out the Hammersteing Ballroom in Manhattan, more rumours suggest this is a huge event similar to E3.

The Hammerstein combines a magnificent, century-old former opera house with fully-integrated 21st century media and entertainment production technology. Recently restored, this elegant room features a hand-painted ceiling, ornate woodwork, and three balconies with side boxes.

Soaring 75 feet above the main floor, the ceiling holds numerous rigging points suitable for production lighting, sound, or set design. Integration with the in-house audio recording studios, television studios, video control rooms, and post-production suites makes the space an incredible venue for productions, special events, live or taped broadcasts, and webcasts or radio broadcasts.

Production possibilities in this highly flexible event space are virtually limitless. Events hosted in The Hammerstein range from international product launches and television awards programs to designer fashion shows and holiday parties.

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...station-meeting-perfect-place-for-ps4-reveal/

Top Bottom