PlayStation 4

ForceStealer

Double Growth
original.jpg

Apparently a prototype controller. Looks kinda bulky, and I fear that pad will make it even more outrageously expensive than they already are. I guess the idea is that it'll be good for UI and menus?

Iunno. I'm glad its not too huge a departure, and keep in mind that this is only a prototype.

Last edited:

Ghost X

That looks horrific. Are they trying to incorporate the PS Move into the controller as well, with that light? =p

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Does anybody really shout into their controller?

EDIT: I guess it could also be a way to get rid of a mic, but I don't use those.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Well, even if it IS a legit picture, it's still part of a Dev Kit, which means that it's likely not what the final version's gonna look like. Basic form and working function is pretty much all that matters with a Dev Kit. I'd actually be surprised if the final controller isn't significantly refined from this version (if it's legit).

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to withhold and judgements about anything for another 6 days, until Sony's press conference.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
So that must mean the conference in New York is the only one, and it's being streamed worldwide.

11pm for me, I'll definitely be watching XD

Lex

Administrator
So, Sony just released this video - "The Evolution of Playstation"

Looks to be part 1 of 3 IMO.

Leading up to something are we? XD

EDIT: There's the tiniest snippet of FF7 in that video, I just noticed. Happens at 1:58, in the middle screen of 3. Motorcycle FMV.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
^Gonna go out on a limb and guess large parts of the internet will see that and lose their shit thinking THIS TIME they'll do a remake!

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, Sony just released this video - "The Evolution of Playstation"

Looks to be part 1 of 3 IMO.

I'd say 1 of 5, actually.

I would assume that we'll move on to the PS2 on the 16th, PSP on the 17th, PS3 on the 18th, PS Vita on the 19th, and then get we'll see Sony's official announcement for their next generation PlayStation on the 20th.

Lex

Administrator
Why did my brain not do that?

I swear on the lives of all of my family, I sat for about 3 minutes and thought "how are they going to split 3 consoles up over 5 days!?"

I haven't even been drinking. This is epic fail thinking right here :sadpanda:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
xDDDD

Don't feel bad Lex. Since everything's so specific to the console release, the idea of including handhelds probably didn't even factor in, especially because Nintendo has about a jillion, and Microsoft has none, so you usually don't think of them as part of the development life of a brand/system/whatever. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm all for a redesign of the PS controller.

I always thought it was weird how the left analog stick, despite being the primary way of controlling your character, is still tucked away to the bottom.
The controller is shaped so that your thumbs would by default rest on the face buttons and the d-pad.
Now that the d-pad is mostly obsolete for movement within games, it kinda baffles me how the d-pad still takes up the primary position on the controller.

The Gamecube controller did it right, for example. Putting the stick on the left and the d-pad to the lower right from the stick.

It might mess a bit with the aesthetics, but if you're more concerned about the looks of a controller than its functionality (see also boomerang controller) you're doing it wrong. :wacky:

And I know there's going to be the obligatory "I never had a problem with the layout" comment and while I actually did at first (and preferred to play some games like MGS2 with a d-pad still), I got used to it.

BUT. I'm just saying there's always room for slight improvements.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Now that the d-pad is mostly obsolete for movement within games, it kinda baffles me how the d-pad still takes up the primary position on the controller.

this. can we get with the program or not sony goddamn

what also kills me is sony has all this tech but literally no innovation. nintendo has a waggle stick? sony gets a waggle stick. ouya puts a touchpad on their controller, suddenly sony gets this ~bright idea~ to put a screen in the middle of their controller.

is anyone over there even trying anymore? i mean i realize companies all borrow ideas from each other to an extent, but this shit is just plain lazy.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@ Tets: See, for me, having the analog sticks in the same position makes it easier, because of the symmetry. The buttons / D-pad are both input and the analog sticks are for movement. I don't really think that the buttons or the analog sticks are in a "primary" position or not. I guess it's just how you see the idea of the layout. I, for one, like always moving up from the analog sticks to the buttons, and back down to move/adjust camera (it's also why I like the convex analog sticks, cause it's easy to slide off and back on to them).

@ Zee: The Vita's front/rear touchscreen/touchpad controls on a controller-like device actually came before the Ouya's controller, so you can't really say that they're borrowing from the Ouya's controller, especially if they want to raise the compatibility between the Vita and the PS4. The Vita's setup is actually significantly innovative, so it's not surprising that they'd want to carry that over to their new console. It's easy to ascribe innovation when other people have done similar things, but correlation =/= causation, so you can't really claim that Sony isn't innovating any more than you can claim that they're for sure just taking ideas from other companies.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I wonder if SE will do a PS4 tech demo. It would be a shame to break with tradition. I dont think Agni's Philosophy counts.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
this. can we get with the program or not sony goddamn

what also kills me is sony has all this tech but literally no innovation. nintendo has a waggle stick? sony gets a waggle stick. ouya puts a touchpad on their controller, suddenly sony gets this ~bright idea~ to put a screen in the middle of their controller.

is anyone over there even trying anymore? i mean i realize companies all borrow ideas from each other to an extent, but this shit is just plain lazy.

You mean like how Sony did the Eye toy and then a year or so later the "Revolution" is revealed at E3 by Nintendo? :P
And as X said, not even Ouyas kickstarter predates the Vita.

I like how Sony handles "innovation" they kind of flirt with it but still offer a good solid "sure thing". Lets face it the only thing that beats a controller is a Keyboard and Mouse. Motion gaming isnt innovative at all and im really happy that Sony only dabbled in it rather then jumping into the deep end with it.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Motion gaming isnt innovative at all and im really happy that Sony only dabbled in it rather then jumping into the deep end with it.

you're happy sony produced a subpar product rather than actually making something worthwhile? does anyone really think the eye toy and the move are worth anything?

im so confused

Top Bottom