PlayStation 4

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
you're happy sony produced a subpar product rather than actually making something worthwhile? does anyone really think the eye toy and the move are worth anything?

im so confused

Subpar? You realize it has the most consistent motion tracking of all the 3 systems attempts at motion gaming right?

It has a far superior tracking system then that of the Wii. The only reason why the kinect trumps it is because obviously with the kinect you are the controller but its still not as fine tuned as the Move.

At the end of the day the truth is that Motion gaming is a piece of shit to be honest. It will take years upon years for it to be able to offer the same precision and ease of access as a controller or keyboard and mouse, I dare say (and hope) that it never will.

Its a gimmick that real gamers dont really give a damn about and for that im glad Sony only dabbled in it and its pretty awesome that even though they half assed it they still ended up with a better piece of technology then the rest of the industry.

Considering the Eye toy was PS2 era and predates the Wii, considering the limitations I'd say its a pretty good attempt at that market. And considering all the Kinect is, is a Eye Toy 2.0 I'd honestly just say your argument that Sony only copies is pretty damn invalid.

Your first point was that all sony does is copy, which has been proven incorrect and now your arguing that its not as good as other attempts? lol really? Have you even used any of these products?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I actually own and love my PS Move. The games are Move-specific, because I don't play many shooters, and it's a good bit more accurate than Kinect. I'm just throwing this out there (and I have no idea why it hasn't been done) - if they made a Star Wars lightsaber combat game for Move no one would ever shut up about it. Archery and Gladiator combat work amazingly in the sports games, and I'm a little sad it hasn't been attempted to a more serious degree.

Really, check out the technology that's actually being used, and see how it actually functions, and don't just write it off for using a camera that's not as amazing as the one with Kinect.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'd only argue from a technical standpoint that consistently sized, glowing balls of known colors of light are much better detectable and trackable in image recognition than a human's outline and limbs are, and requires a lot less processing power (allowing for more tracking points per second, thus higher resolution and accuracy, which are, I think, more important for gaming than being able to jump around like an idiot).

Disclaimer: I haven't used neither the Move or Kinect, give me a decent controller or keyboard + mouse (depending on game type) anytime, :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Looks like they went to the PS3 before the PSP. I wonder what they'll do on the next couple days…

Lex

Administrator
From my conversation with Tets in IRC:

They're releasing these retrospectives at 11pm UK time each night (which is the time the show starts on Wednesday, lol), also found a few fan made logos:

3-1024x891.png

7-1024x1024.png

8-1024x1024.png

95.jpg

And my personal favourite:

61-1024x748.png

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I visited a Finnish online shop and I noticed that they have already put PS4 up on their list of consoles. It's not available for preorder yet, but it seems that it's possible to reserve it. And they had a price too. Oh yes...

And how much do they ask for it? 799,95€!

I know the price might still change, but that is freaking expensive! Who has that kind of money? They could share some for me too...

EDIT: Here is the link to the site.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I've used both the Kinect and the Move. The kinect is better when you playing with friends, games like Dance Central are really fun. The Move is better for actual games because is more accurate and works more seamless with video games. That being said I'll still take a controller over motion gaming every time.

AvecAloes

Donator
The only motion control I've used is the Wii, which certainly didn't make me want to try any others. I'm sure it's neat for some games, especially when done well, but it's not important to me and my game playing at all.

Lex

Administrator

No surprises here :monster:

EDIT: Aside from the fact that, now I've watched it - they did both PSP and PS Vita on the same day. Which begs the question: what's going to be in tomorrow's video?

Lex

Administrator
Actually, that made me think they might cover PS peripherals, but they kind of already did that (they've already mentioned the controller evolution, the move etc). I'm genuinely at a loss here. I know I shouldn't care, but I want it to be Wednesday already so distracting myself with moronic drivel is the only thing I can do in the meantime >_<.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Man, I'm also at a total loss for what they're gonna put out tomorrow, since both of their handhelds got slid into a single release. That being said, I'm pretty sure that tomorrow is gonna be the longest day ever.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I am surprised. What else could they be showing in the next video?
Obscure PS versions? Net Yaroze, PSX etc? idk

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
At the end of the day the truth is that Motion gaming is a piece of shit to be honest.

~opinions~

most causal gamers thoroughly enjoy motion games tbh, shit it's a big reason why the wii sold so well. i know plenty of people who normally wouldn't bother playing video games getting into motion based dance or party games.

Its a gimmick that real gamers dont really give a damn about and for that im glad Sony only dabbled in it

"real" gamers

"real"

r u serious guy

Have you even used any of these products?

no. i don't even play video games. i never have. i just push a large wheel with a stick when i want to pass the time.

And considering all the Kinect is, is a Eye Toy 2.0 I'd honestly just say your argument that Sony only copies is pretty damn invalid.

you're comparing a spruced up webcam to a full motion body sensor. comparing the eye toy with the vision would have made more sense. look i just improved your rebuttal for you.

my original post was dismay not just that "sony copies" but that they don't do anything interesting with this stuff. none of this shit added or really improved the playstation experience. i'm not a big fan of waggle sticks but at least when nintendo gets their new "gimmick", they're dedicated to it. if they're gonna be "half assed" (your words) about this stuff, they shouldn't bother.

anyway i ain't gonna waste more time talking about something i'm not even hyped for, when other people in this thread are. ollies outtie

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Is it true that the PS4 is going for 300 british pounds? I've heard it from my cous.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
~opinions~
Not really. Try to play a motion port of a controller game on the wii. Have fun playing that frustrating piece of garbage :)

most causal gamers thoroughly enjoy motion games tbh, shit it's a big reason why the wii sold so well. i know plenty of people who normally wouldn't bother playing video games getting into motion based dance or party games.

Most casual gamers also only play the same handful of games over and over. Lets not forget then entire section of game stores and other stores filled to the brim with 5-10$ unsold wii games.

anyway i ain't gonna waste more time talking about something i'm not even hyped for, when other people in this thread are. ollies outtie
Good since you made it clear you have no clue what your talking about you leaving teh thread is a welcome turn of events. :reptar:

Lex

Administrator
I got an e-mail today saying "RSVP to be the first to know". Apparently that was the follow up from the "Be the first to know" sign up thing?

Just takes you to the regular meeting 2013 page, apparently the live stream is there tomorrow.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The video tomorrow will probably be about input devices; the eyetoy, move, PS Vita's touch things, etc. This to build up to the new controller's touchpad and motion / visual tracking features.

Lex

Administrator
New video in an hour, you mean.

But also, I don't think so. They've already covered all of that in their other videos. It's the only thing I can really think of though.

Top Bottom