Playstation 5

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
so it's open for japan now, i had a quick look on the ps4 store and i am

disappointed

the selection looks fine for the game collection of ps4 games (can't remember if i saw any ps5 ones? maybe they didn't show up on ps4), although idk if the cero z titles will be still unavailable without a japanese credit card which rules out a good chunk of the available ones. there's a bunch i wouldn't mind trying if the ps3 streaming works well

but either i've not found the right section or the ps1/2/psp collection is super underwhelming. seems to be the same as the malaysian store line up which i thought was limited because it's one of the regions that's not getting the full service. but no, it's the same in japan. toy story 2 and two separate worms games, but why. what an odd choice.

i can't remember if i got wild arms from a previous freeplay but i'm like 90% sure i did have ape escape, but when i selected that it wants 100 yen (wild arms was 1100 yen). which makes me think, are you going to charge for the ps4/5 versions in japan? like how the ff7r intergrade ps5 update if you had the ps4 digital edition was iirc free in the west, but in japan i think that was 100 yen. don't know why only ape escape seems to be 100 yen, or if they just aren't counting ps+ freeplay titles even if they're in your library. guess i'd have to wait until they have something i bought up to see if those will transfer over, but it's disappointing it hasn't. i'd be annoyed if you had to pay 100 yen each to reclaim old titles but that's better than 1100 yen (wasn't even the cost of most ps1 classics which went for around 6-700 yen for most games).

anyway boo, you whore. give me my free stuff back

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
tried searching the mobile app for ps1 games i know i bought ('parasite' for parasite eve 2, 'xenogears') and nothing. guess i naively assumed they would just be bringing over whatever was available. i hope they aren't going to do the silly nintendo thing where they do a painfully slow drip feed of titles. there were hundreds of ps1 titles for the old game archive service and they're all decades old at this point. do more and faster. i think some games are optionally getting trophies added? and that better not be delaying it. just add more games and patch it later

some of the ps1 titles (tekken 2 and mister driller) seem to only be available as part of the subscription, but the rest vary in price and i don't get why. ape escape is the cheapest at 100 yen but i just noticed it doesn't have the ps+ tag the other games do, so is that meant as a little teaser offer or something? the other range from 550 (abe's oddysee and worms world party) to 1650 (jak 3 and combat racing, the jak games being the only ps2 ones there so far). worms armageddon is 990 and i don't get why it's more expensive than the other worms.

the classic games were one of the things i was most interested in, so to see it's just the same meagre range from the malaysian store is disappointing. don't think i'd bother signing up until there's more available. and you let me redeem stuff i already bought, don't nintendo this up

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Sony accidentely leaks The Last of Us Part 1. Coming September 2 for PS5

Trailer: https://media.direct.playstation.co...e-last-of-us-part-1-game-announcement-trailer

ps5-tlou-part-1-game-box-front

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I think there is a discussion to be has as to how to judge game based on the mechanical structure capability of the canvas/hardware that it was built on.

idk TLOU is a PS3 game, and I like it that way. I like the PS4 upres version that controls nicer + has all the bells and whistles, but I also don't really need to feel as though it's not a PS3 game to enjoy it /SHRUG

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i only played the ps4 one (got it bundled with my console) so i don't have a base of comparison for the original version

also i had to check which of those images were meant to be the new ones because i couldn't really tell at first blush lol

looking at this i'm like. why. the original is still one of those games that holds up visually, it has a modern port that is still playable (it's in the collection of ps4 games they launched with the ps5), it's not old enough that a full remake would bring new interest to a title/franchise. seems like resources that could have been better spent on something else

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
all i can hear is this, over and over in my head:

5ATy3Io.gif

it does look really nice and all, i will probably try to pick it up at some point (but not as a day one purchase like part 2). but i'm still like. why. i don't get it. i assume it could reuse a lot of assets from part 2.

it's just, were you satisfied doing this. did you feel fulfilled redoing work from less than 10 years ago but with a bit more modern tech.

is this to capitalise on the tv series they're doing. i just remembered that's a thing. like how they remade ratchet and clank to go with the film (but at least there it was a ps2 game with bigger leaps in tech!)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
thinking back on it, part 2 wasn't a 'day one' purchase for me and i was actually wavering on it because of some of the commentary going around but i did purchase it near release so that's as close to day one as i will usually get

this one is even less likely to be one of those. if i didn't already own it on disk, i could download the port to my ps5 right now. i'm not dying to play it with a bit nicer lighting and vegetation, at full ps5 game price.

i am that sonic meme about wanting more games that look bad and are made by well paid staff

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
physical copies for playstation games tend to get really cheap several months to a year after release. I got the ps4 version for $10. This will probably end up in the $20-$30 range pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
98% of them.

Same thing happened to Xenoblade 3's collector edition sales on the Nintendo site.

Retailers and publishers seriously fucking need to either create a HARD invite only queue system for products, step up their CAPTCHA systems, or make a hard limit of one sale per address because bots have made getting ANY sort of limited supply items nigh impossible. Bots are so so common and easy to script that scalping is a straight up business.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Some good news about classic games on new PS+

Good thing I chose to wait before I chose to upgrade (which I still haven't done yet). I was livid with the initial reports of PAL roms, especially considering the fact that that wasn't the first time Sony pulled that particular stunt; they did it with the PlayStation Classic mini console, and it seems like a strange coincidence that retailers (especially the likes of Amazon and Wally World) were slashing prices shortly after launch due to poor sales.

SoZettaSlow

Hackermens extraordinaire
AKA
Yoshikage Kira
98% of them.

Same thing happened to Xenoblade 3's collector edition sales on the Nintendo site.

Retailers and publishers seriously fucking need to either create a HARD invite only queue system for products, step up their CAPTCHA systems, or make a hard limit of one sale per address because bots have made getting ANY sort of limited supply items nigh impossible. Bots are so so common and easy to script that scalping is a straight up business.

Not many sales were actually made during the "Great Wario"ing. The shear number of requests broke the shop. Very few people on reddit even got theirs. But there's been multiple sources saying that there's enough stock for almost everyone.

Also how do you stop scalping without it becoming super invasive? Because even with 1 or 2 per account or address you can still programmatically make a list of addresses to users and buy more than enough stock to resell. Even invites can be abused with multiple accounts. There's no real way to tell if someone's telling the truth on the other end of the computer.

Top Bottom