• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Podcast planning

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
If...and I'm shitting myself with nervousness proposing this, but if Tennyo doesn't mind showing me the ropes, and the editing software isn't too hard get a hold of, I'd volunteer as a trainee to learn the process and take some of the weight off. I've also put in that I wouldn't mind being a stand in member for people that need a leave of absence. I have an abundance of free time, with no sign of work coming my way, and school being manageable as they're online courses.

I would like to help with the podcasts in any way possible.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Getting episodes out right now is the real jam up, considering these monsters can be hours long and editing that with multiple tracks is no easy feat. I feel we should be focusing on getting Tenny some help because recording these podcasts is easy (apart from getting us all together) it's the editing that is draining. Chip if you got the chops and time I'm sure we would appreciate the help.

Is Ryu able to host the retro pod in Vader's absence. I feel he has more experience and the more pleasant voice. I think we all know my strength is in being the obnoxious talkative one, I'm not sure I have the demeanor to host, my old fanfic pod notwithstanding. :monster:

I for one would love to see Carlie be the host of the main pod. It would be TLS After Dark all the time. :thor:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Getting episodes out right now is the real jam up, considering these monsters can be hours long
That is another thing that should probably change. When we ask people to make themselves available for recording we should be able to assure them that it won't take longer than, say, two hours in total, with the episode itself being shorter still after the edit. It's unreasonable to expect people to be able to hang around for three or four hours considering our timezone differences mean it's always likely to be unsocial hours for someone. I dare say that's why the recent (relatively speaking) episodes have been dominated by North American guests. As far as I can tell, we haven't had a TLS member from the rest of the world appear on the show since Tets was on over a year ago.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'm fairly certain I would make a terrible host, I talk a lot and have a tendency to get off topic. Unless is a podcast that I have absolutely nothing to contribute in.

I could host a for the forum only TLS After Dark. :monster:

As for editor I agree that we should split host and editor duties between the retrospective and regular podcasts. Tenny can stay doing the retrospective episodes and Flint or whoever else that can edit do the regular episodes (I can offer my services there). Flint you're the only person I can think off right now who would be a good candidate for hosting duties on the regular podcasts.

I think that to make editing easier we should institute the same rules we have for streaming gaming conferences. Good mic, as little background noise as possible, muted if not speaking and a sound check about a half hour before we record.

edit: Unless there's massive breaking news we should record podcasts on weekends since it would be easier to find a comfortable time for both American and Europeans.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
edit: Unless there's massive breaking news we should record podcasts on weekends since it would be easier to find a comfortable time for both American and Europeans.

Or us Americans could move to Europe. :monster:

But I agree, weekends do seem to work well for me and I'm sure many others for the main pod. The retro pod we've been doing in the early mornings our time but we can adust that based on whos in.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Getting episodes out right now is the real jam up, considering these monsters can be hours long and editing that with multiple tracks is no easy feat. I feel we should be focusing on getting Tenny some help because recording these podcasts is easy (apart from getting us all together) it's the editing that is draining. Chip if you got the chops and time I'm sure we would appreciate the help.

Is Ryu able to host the retro pod in Vader's absence. I feel he has more experience and the more pleasant voice. I think we all know my strength is in being the obnoxious talkative one, I'm not sure I have the demeanor to host, my old fanfic pod notwithstanding. :monster:

I for one would love to see Carlie be the host of the main pod. It would be TLS After Dark all the time. :thor:

Chops, no, but dedication? Yes. I seriously need to keep myself productive, or I'm gonna go nuts. So I'm willing to learn!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Lol, fixed. That whole line is a placeholder – notice how it's basically repeated underneath. Well spotted. :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Okay, I literally just got home and I haven't been home since Thursday evening and I'm exhausted but I'll try to be coherent.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have separate hosts and editors for the two podcast series – our regular episodes and the retrospective. Perhaps Vader/Ryu and Tenny could stay as the team for the retrospective and we could get another pair for the regular episodes to share the load.

I actually had this same idea while working on the XV podcast. Well, insofar as when I was done with it I was going to ask you to take on the next non-retrospective because trying to do both the regular podcast and the retrospective is a lot of editing.

And if Chip wants to do it that's cool, too. Whichever I guess. Either way it's a totally valid conversation.

However...

but the Final Fantasy XV review episode should probably be scrapped. Publishing it now would be somewhat embarrassing, I think. If the people who recorded it still want it to be heard then it could be posted on the forum but not necessarily the front page.

This is the only part that I take issue with.

I literally finished this thing the day before you made your post. This podcast was a mess and I'm not talking about how we had to record it twice because Mumble crashed. I think I put more hours into this than I have even the multi-part retrospectives I've done. It just... had a lot of things wrong and you don't know how many days I set aside hours that should have been enough to finish any other podcast only to still not be done and how I literally was going crazy.

I mean, the XV podcast was embarrassingly late before we even got around to our first recording attempt. Is there a reason why this concern was never raised before?

I'm trying really hard not to be upset by this, but this thing was a LOT of work...

Unless we save it for November and market it as a "FFXV: One Year Later" type thing to mark the anniversary?

But, if it's just simply scrapped literally the day after that monstrosity is finally off my hands I may loose my mind...

Anyway...

If there is concern about trying to get more non-North Americans on the podcast, then I think we need people to be committed to being involved with the planning. For example:

Any interest in doing a pre E3 minicast?

Who would be interested in doing a post E3 & Stormblood early impressions Friday, Saturday or Sunday?

Sorry, Carlie, I haven't been on TLS in recent weeks due to my summer class and I missed these posts. However, it looks like I am not the only one. A mini E3 Podcast would have been ideal for playing around with meet times. It could have been what, an hour long maybe? Why did this not happen?

It's going to take all of us to make this work. All these changes are good and fine be we need to make sure people can commit in order for them to be worthwhile.

I hope i'm not coming off super angry and all grrrrr or anything because I'm not trying to be, but I think these things are important.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
No, I agree with you Tenny, I don't think the XV podcast should be scrapped. While it sucks to get it up late, it sucks even more to let your hard work and our attempts at recording the damn thing go to waste.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Easy fix to the "this is embarrassing" issue is to simply dub it "The Lost Episode". Then it's like "ooh we're getting unheard content" instead of "lol dis late." Explain about the myriad technical issues in the description.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm sorry, Tenny. I had no idea you had finished working on the XV review episode. Terrible timing on my part. :doh: I assure you it wasn't my intention to upset you or undermine the work you've put in, just figure out the best way to handle it. JT's suggestion above seems like a good one.

I've also been busy for the last month or so, which is why I haven't appeared on those episodes Carlie has been trying to organise in this thread. More generally, however, and one reason why I'm not convinced I should host the regular episodes, is that I'm always late to the game when it comes to Final Fantasy or video games in general. I haven't bought a game on the day of its release since the original FFXII back in 2006 (the fact I'm writing this on the release date of The Zodiac Age isn't lost on me). I haven't played XV yet and I probably won't for another year or two. Sometimes when I've been available to appear on an episode I've sat it out because I would have had nothing to say.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Easy fix to the "this is embarrassing" issue is to simply dub it "The Lost Episode". Then it's like "ooh we're getting unheard content" instead of "lol dis late." Explain about the myriad technical issues in the description.

I was thinking of running with the joke that we had just as many technical problems as XV's development had. :monster:

And @Flint: I know you are busy as well, and I didn't mean you specifically when I brought up the mini E3 podcast. I meant in a more broader sense encompassing the entirety of TLS. Sorry :(

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Well let's strike while the iron is hot:

1. Are we down with Chip taking over editing on, let's say the retrospective episodes while Tennyo stays focused on the main show?
2. Tennyo would you be able to show Chip the ropes on how to edit these together? Perhaps hook up on a Skype Call or something and show them how to do it?
3. Where do we stand on hosting? I, for one, would really ideally like to hear Vader's input on this one. I can try to reach him on FB. In fact I'll message him tonight.
4. FFXV Pod to air on the front page let's say after the Stormblood content goes live? I don't want to cut into Pixel's "Tifa- Draw My Life" video and hopefully the SB Content should be ready fairly soon. Dubbed "The Lost Episode"?

Lex

Administrator
If there is concern about trying to get more non-North Americans on the podcast, then I think we need people to be committed to being involved with the planning. For example:

Any interest in doing a pre E3 minicast?

Who would be interested in doing a post E3 & Stormblood early impressions Friday, Saturday or Sunday?

Sorry, Carlie, I haven't been on TLS in recent weeks due to my summer class and I missed these posts. However, it looks like I am not the only one. A mini E3 Podcast would have been ideal for playing around with meet times. It could have been what, an hour long maybe? Why did this not happen?

It's going to take all of us to make this work. All these changes are good and fine be we need to make sure people can commit in order for them to be worthwhile.

I hope i'm not coming off super angry and all grrrrr or anything because I'm not trying to be, but I think these things are important.

See tbh I would still like to appear on the podcasts but since I got this job the times at which they've always been recorded have been too unsociable for me. There seems to be a perception that because it starts recording at 2100/2200 UK time that should be fine, but in reality the recordings tend to eat about two to three hours of time and I'm not prepared to go into work on four hours of sleep for something that could have been scheduled an hour or two earlier (or even better, on weekends).

I can't speak for any recently recorded podcasts and I'll be honest, as long as they're regularly getting made by people who enjoy doing it then by all means feel free to schedule them whenever the group of people who likes to do them likes (even if it means I can't join), that's just the reason I haven't been a part of one for over a year (or idk when, it's been a long time anyway). There's just no way for me to record during the week if they're going to be scheduled when I reasonably need to be asleep, even though I technically do have the free time to record most nights.

Also have you guys considered moving to Discord for recording?

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
^ We actually have recently done that. Mumble was too much of a headache.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Are we down with Chip taking over editing on, let's say the retrospective episodes while Tennyo stays focused on the main show?
I thought the reverse was being suggested, but either way is fine. I do want to keep the quality up though, so Chip will have to learn well and learn quickly. :P

Where do we stand on hosting? I, for one, would really ideally like to hear Vader's input on this one. I can try to reach him on FB. In fact I'll message him tonight.
Thanks. I'd like to hear from him too.

FFXV Pod to air on the front page let's say after the Stormblood content goes live? I don't want to cut into Pixel's "Tifa- Draw My Life" video and hopefully the SB Content should be ready fairly soon. Dubbed "The Lost Episode"?
Sounds fine to me.

We actually have recently [used Discord]. Mumble was too much of a headache.
The big advantage Mumble has over Discord is multi-track recording. At least when I edited my one and only episode (minisode), it was extremely useful to be able to edit out noise coming from people who weren't speaking. To get the same result with Discord we'd need everyone to record their voice input locally and then send the resulting sound files over ASAP. Maybe that's what you've been doing, I don't know. If that proves too much hassle then I'd rather go back to Mumble or find another solution.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well let's strike while the iron is hot:

1. Are we down with Chip taking over editing on, let's say the retrospective episodes while Tennyo stays focused on the main show?
2. Tennyo would you be able to show Chip the ropes on how to edit these together? Perhaps hook up on a Skype Call or something and show them how to do it?

I thought it was the other way around?

And I've been using Audacity which isn't too difficult. But I can help if need be.

I have been wanting to try out Final Cut Pro so maybe now is my chance to do that.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
^ Other way round then, my mistake. :)

And yes Audacity is great and user-friendly. I love using it for my stuff.

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
Alright kids. Sorry for my extended absence. Let me just start by simply saying I am sorry. I haven't been around or actively involved on TLS for quite awhile. I've had so much going on in my personal life that this has just fallen through the cracks.

My absence started out because of problems between my wife and I over how much time I was spending in putting together the podcast, recording it, and then editing it. Just as that was getting resolved, I accepted a promotion with my company that required I put more hours into the job. I was finally starting to get that under control and getting ready for the big podcast comeback and then in May I was advised that my company was laying off my entire department. So, since May, most of my free time has been spent putting in job applications, taking interviews, etc.

With that said, I'm in agreement with Flint. I do think it would be a good idea to allow some "new blood" into the podcast. In fact, I agree that the Retrospective Series and the TLS Podcast need to be separate entities.

I have not been around enough or been able to assist with the regular podcast in a very long time now. I don't foresee being able to return to full active duties on the show for some time. I think it best to let some new folks take it on.

As for the Retrospective Series, it was one of the top reasons I wanted to get the TLS podcast going again. I do want to see it through to completion. As JT mentioned in this thread previously, the FFVIII retro is completed and pending editing. JT, Ryu, and I are all actively playing FFIX so that we can record the FFIX Retrospective. I would very much like to stay as the full time host for the Retrospective series.

I always viewed the podcast as a labor of love. I kind of looked at it like my baby. As we speak, I am shedding a few tears. I will always have fond memories and feelings for having worked on the podcast. It was truly an honor to have worked with such good folks as Tets, Ryu, Carlie, JT, Lex, Tenny, Lith, and Flint. I truly wish whoever takes over for the regular TLS podcast all the best.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
FYI I said Ryu had a better voice than me, lol

Edit: Having been ableto read this a bit better I don't think anybody was suggesting strongarming you out, nor are we unhappy with you. I mean I for one can't imagine the pod without you. But you'd been mentioning you've been having issues and we wanted to just get you some help, maybe make it easier on all involved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom