SPOILERS Predictions for Part 2? (*Open Spoilers for Part 1*)

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Shit, i'd love it. It'd add so much more depth to the characters. Killing Sephiroth in the end would be even more meaningful than it was in the OG.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Isn't the age range for final fantasy, around the same as games like call of duty and GTA, though?

I don't think SE would ever do something like that, but damn, would that (or killing Tifa) leave a lasting impression on the new generation.
Eh, I don't think SE considers themselves as catering to same age demographic as CoD or GTA, both of those franchises have had their entries be consistently M rated the majority of the time IIRC, which SE does not, especially with their FF series. Also I don't know if those franchises have much genre over-lap either.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Eh, I don't think SE considers themselves as catering to same age demographic as CoD or GTA, both of those franchises have had their entries be consistently M rated the majority of the time IIRC, which SE does not, especially with their FF series. Also I don't know if those franchises have much genre over-lap either.
OK, that makes sense

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Prediction! The midgar zolom impaled on a tree scene has to go. "Sephiroth has this kind of power??" Well yeah, we just saw him throw the top 10 stories of the Shinra building with his finger.

This time around, they will stumble upon Emerald weapon impaled on the peak of a mountain.

Calling it.
My guess is we'll get that, but depicted differently

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Predictions for P2:

- No Gold Saucer. That will come later, in one of the following parts, when it becomes more significant.

- Barret and Dyne's material will be moved from Gold Saucer to Corel.

- Zack is alive in the alternate timeline.

- Genesis is the one controlling Sephiroth and Jenova from behind the scenes.

- The whispers (Ghosts of Christmas Future/Nazgul/Dementors) will return to haunt everyone.

- Kunsel is a SOLDIER, First Class.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I've more or less solidified my understanding of what's happened within the FFVII-R plot, and I thought I'd go ahead and put it on the record now so when X amount of years pass by and we see the conclusion of this series, I and others will be able to see how ultimately correct or incorrect I was with my predictions :monster:

Why? Because it'll be fun.

I think I have a pretty good read of what the plot and direction is regarding this. So to cut to the chase, I'll summate what I've said was my belief about FFVII-R's plot.

It's a timeloop. The visions of the future Cloud has are not truly visions of precognition, they're unconscious memories that exist within his heart. What brought me to this conclusion was the scene at the start of chapter 9 when Cloud has a moment where he unconsciously begins to cry when Aerith tells him she's not tired of him yet. This triggers Cloud to unconsciously shed a tear. He doesn't just have a fit or vision of the future, he has an emotional reaction that causes him to cry. This is significant to me, because it speaks to something deep within Cloud remembering something tragic that his conscious mind isn't able to grasp. There's also the fact that Aerith carries uncanny knowledge of the future. She knows Cloud's a mercenary, where Marlene is, that Barret is her dad, and then there's the Chapter 14 resolution scene with her. Furthermore, when people come in contact with her, strange things happen. Marlene seemingly recognized Aerith, and Red XIII's strange reaction upon meeting Aerith upon coming into contact with her was significant as well.

I believe that due to Aerith being a Cetra with a connection to the planet, she's able to understand and have awareness of the fact the world she's in is a loop of the previous world of FFVII. And she has an awareness of why it's happening. This unique awareness and situation creates an anomaly that causes others around her to awaken some of their memories of the past in connection with her.

Sephiroth is a special existence because he's simultaneously the cause and captor of this time loop. Going by what's been revealed in the Ultimania, there are in essence, 2 Sephiroths. There's the Sephiroth that exists in the present, who is pursuing his goal as depicted in FFVII. And then there's what I will call from this point on, The Sephiroth at the End of the Book. Because Sephiroth is part of Jenova and ultimately outside of the planet's system, he doesn't simply rejoin or fall under the agency of the planet. However, he is still bound by it due to being the true threat to the planet, and this ties into the cause of this time loop in the first place.

The Arbiters of Fate are manifestations of the planet, and going by their name, they are judges who arbitrate matters of importance. They are described as protecting the destiny of the planet, and keeping things in line with that chosen destiny. Furthermore, the Whisper Harbinger is shown to be protector of the destiny the planet wishes to see unfold, with literal memories/visions of said future connected to it. With each injury it suffers, the heroes see a vision of the future. This is because it's essentially the overseer of what's inside the loop that exists in FFVII-R. When it dies, the veil of destiny is pierced, allowing a world that proceeds to it's own uncharted course to exist in what should be the planet's own isolated space. This is a double-edged sword however because what progresses from this point on, will determine whether or not the planet decides to judge life on it's surface positively or negatively.

This is because I believe this entire time loop is a review of the events that led to the invocation of Holy in FFVII, and it's for the planet to render it's ultimate judgment upon the fate of all things that inhabit it. This is the function of the Holy magic made manifest. It's why at the end of the fight against Whisper Harbinger, the characters find themselves within the Holy spell itself, and then it's dispelled by Sephiroth and Meteor. The space is connected to the White Materia, which is given greater significance in the Remake, going by the artwork in Aerith's room, and the numerous allusions to it. If Holy/the Planet deems humanity and life worth saving, it will proceed to save them and move forward with the future, if it does not, all will be erased. Sephiroth does not wish for either outcome to occur, yet he is trapped in the space outside of the flow of time playing out in FFVII-R.

...At least he was until certain events in Part 1 took place. Sephiroth was able to reach from beyond and potentially end the loop, free himself and no longer be subject to the chosen destiny of the planet. Sephiroth's dialogue is in fact, very meaningful in regards to what's going on, and I'm going to point out why.

"Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows." This line, speaks to the nature of the world they inhabit. And it's extremely important given what we know about Stamp and the scene that occurs at the end. Sephiroth is aware of the fact that the world that they are in, is a loop. A shadow recreation of what's occurred and what's to come, and he admonishes the party for being ignorant. Their eyes are clouded by the belief that this is all new.

"All born are bound to her. Should this world be unmade, so too will her children. Listen. Destiny comes." This is in essence, Sephiroth stating the rules. All those born of the planet, are bound to the planet's will. This is a fact that's been known since FFVII. However, this carries a double meaning. The world they exist in is a manifestation meant to adhere to the destiny the planet wishes to see followed. If it were to be undone and broken apart, the "children" of this world and destiny would also be undone, leaving him no longer subject to destiny's direction. Sephiroth is in essence stating his intention to undo the Remake world, and annihilate the Whispers who wish to protect the destiny that they're meant to protect. This causes them all to scream, and lash out, which he appropriately states as Destiny arriving to stop him. However he simply cuts his through the veil of reality, and into the similarity that exists beyond.

The singularity is the space that exists outside the Remake world that connects to all of the past, present and future that the planet wishes to see lined up accordingly. It was created by the Whispers to essentially oversee what goes on. And this is why when the Whispers become frenzied and coalesce over Midgar, that same coalescing was able to be witnessed by Zack in the past. Sephiroth absorbs the Whispers and briefly takes control of destiny, able to manifest Meteor and fast-forward his intention of destroying the planet. Except it wouldn't just be destroying the planet, it would be destroying the planet from this singularity, ultimately erasing the Remake world and drawing it into himself. This would liberate him from the loop he's in, and allow him to return to the point where he existed before and proceed to take what is rightfully his. This is thwarted and instead Sephiroth returns to the space that he was at previously. The Edge of Creation.

The confrontation at the Edge of Creation is extremely important because it is here Sephiroth is robbed of his ability to in essence, re-write the plot of FFVII to his favor and escape with his goals met, and revenge satiated. He now must wait, but he takes the time to ask Cloud for assistance in freeing themselves from destiny. He cooly calms Cloud who suffers a grievous paradoxical memory of an event that hasn't happened yet. This is a significant moment, because during the fight against Whisper Harbinger, Cloud has a vision of his final duel with Sephiroth in the lifestream. Upon reaching the edge of creation, the similarity of their confrontation created a moment of recollection for an event that did not happen yet. Which is why Sephiroth says,

"Careful now. That which lies ahead... does not yet exist." This is a direct reference to their final showdown at the end of FFVII. Sephiroth point blank is telling Cloud that they have yet to reach that point and he tries to redirect Cloud away from the paradoxical memory. Sephiroth looks away and says, "Our world will become apart of it one day. But I... Will not end. Nor will I have you end, Cloud... Cloud, lend me your strength. Let us defy destiny, together." This is Sephiroth speaking to the end of the planet. He is aware of the fact that if the planet wills itself to end all life and everything else, it would be a problem for him and he states his refusal to disappear with it. Furthermore, he states his wish to have Cloud help him defy the planet's destiny as well. This is because Sephiroth has failed his original plan of destroying everyone to end this loop and Cloud, who exists within the Remake world, would be able to do what he is now incapable of doing. With the Whispers now gone, and the means of him tearing open a way into the Remake world no longer possible, the Sephiroth at the End of the Book is left with only two options. To either have Cloud aid him, or wait for Cloud at the end of the loop. Hence the line, "I'm waiting, Cloud."

Because the world of the Remake is a manifestation of the planet's will, a certain consequence was created through the destruction of the Whispers. The world that existed in the outside space (or branched off timeline) of FFVII, is now no longer stable. Zack's ability to survive past his previous point of death, has him now existing in a separate time-space that now no longer reflects the charted course of destiny the world Cloud and the others are part of. His version of Stamp has now changed to presumably, reflect the version of Stamp that previously existed. The original Stamp. They're now in two separated spaces/dimensions/timelines/whatever-you-want-to-label-it, and now the consequence and direction of this course of events remains unknown. But from the perspective of Cloud and the others, Zack is dead because he died from their perspective and he won't be found in that world. Zack could presumably meet his end in this separated space, or he could continue on but it'll ultimately lead to what I will say is my prediction of events that will happen thoroughout this series.

Prediction Number 1. Aerith will still die, however she will die knowing she is meant to die. Aerith carries awareness of her fate, and she will be emotionally torn and afraid. She will put up a brave facade and will disclose this knowledge with Cloud and eventually the party. They will do all they can to prevent this horrible tragedy from occurring and they will think they were successful. But ultimately, Sephiroth of the present, will do what he intends, and the party will suffer grief and loss. A greater grief and loss thanks to Aerith's words about the future being a blank page yet her darkest prediction happening anyways.

Prediction Number 2.
Cloud will be tempted again to defy destiny and give into Sephiroth through his loss of his will, depression at losing Aerith and he will be tugged not just by the present Sephiroth, but the Sephiroth at the End of the Book. Tifa will help him overcome this and piece together his original self.

Prediction Number 3. There will be a final boss fight beyond Safer Sephiroth and the spiritual battle within the Lifestream. In fact, that will only appear as the final battle at first, but it actually won't be. The Sephiroth at the End of the Book will be the true final boss of the Remake. Because he's going to once more tempt the party with changing the destiny of the planet, by twisting the nature of what the end of the world is. The "Seven seconds til the end" is a reference to the ultimate conclusion the planet is marching towards and the characters in the Remake see as the ruinous future they wish to prevent. Sephiroth will exploit their fear, pain, tragedy, and grief over Aerith to make them contemplate rejecting the planet's fate and aid him in destroying the world. This will be especially true for Cloud who will carry grief and regret at being unable to save Aerith.

Prediction Number 4. Zack will be an ally in the true final battle of the game. Zack's deviation and experience in whatever separate timeline or space he's in now, will ultimately lead him to the same end point that Cloud and the others reach at the end of their journey. He will be an ally that will come to Cloud's aid, and they will tag-team against Sephiroth to put an end to him, and ultimately lead the planet back to choosing to save humanity and reconcile time-space. However, this will mean Zack will no longer exist within his separate timeline anymore, and go back to being dead. Cloud will also see Aerith one more time and ultimately part ways, because the dead unfortunately cannot come back, despite the changes that exist within the timeline fuckery that resulted in this Remake loop.

So that's what I think will ultimately happen. I guess we'll see how right or wrong I am from this. :monster:

However, I feel pretty confident this is how the Remake's gonna resolve itself given the information.

Holy cow that is complicated. I would be surprised if you were wrong, Mako, and I know you love this kind of stuff, as do plenty of other fans. For me it all gets in the way of what the game is - or used to be - really about.

Can you explain again why the Planet needed this time loop to exist in the first place? That's the bit I don't get. Was it unhappy with the outcome of FFVII?

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Can you explain again why the Planet needed this time loop to exist in the first place? That's the bit I don't get. Was it unhappy with the outcome of FFVII?

It's a function of Holy. The white magic Holy is the means of judging all who are born of the planet. And in order to render this judgment it needs to weigh the worth and evidence of the life that invoked it.

That's what the Arbiters of Fate exist for. Hence the name and their appearance. They're the mechanism of observing the history of the planet, preserving its destiny and ultimately judging what's worth keeping or smiting. When Holy was summoned in FFVII, this is what was created to deteemine whether humanity would survive or not in the future.

So when Aerith summoned Holy in the OG, this time loop was created?
Would it be possible for them to have knowledge of any event that took place outside of the loop?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm picturing the loop like this: (not chronologically to scale!)

FFVII remake loop.jpg
So Aerith's death would be outside the loop, since it occurs after she summons Holy.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So when Aerith summoned Holy in the OG, this time loop was created?
Would it be possible for them to have knowledge of any event that took place outside of the loop?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm picturing the loop like this: (not chronologically to scale!)

So Aerith's death would be outside the loop, since it occurs after she summons Holy.

Not exactly.

My theory is, when Holy first clashed with Meteor, that's the end point of the loop. The beginning of the loop is unknown. But it at least stretches as far back as Zack making his last stand in the ending of CC. Essentially the planet is observing the events that led up to the crisis of Meteor and determining if it's all worth saving.

The reason why the "future" seems fated for destruction ("Seven seconds til' the end") is because the end of the Remake's world is Meteor on the cusp of contact with the planet. The moment where Holy begins to clash with Meteor. However, as we know from the original game, Holy doesn't succeed in pushing it back, and Meteor breaks through Holy itself.

We see this exact event happen in the Remake. After defeating the Whispers, Cloud in the others find themselves in a serene, white, ethereal space with a consistency of water. However, it then gets broken through by a huge Meteor. The characters are in the sky above Midgar, as Meteor comes crashing down with Sephiroth above them. This is a clear reference to the OG's original ending where Meteor overpowered Holy and came close to impacting the planet.

Aerith still dies within the time loop, however due to the fact she's a Cetra who's aware of the planet and can speak to it. She holds some awareness and memories of what came before. This is why she knows things that she shouldn't, such as Cloud's name before he tells her, the fact he's a Mercenary, where Marlene lives, that Barret's her dad, and Red XIII is a young friend. It's also the reason why Cloud cried upon hearing Aerith say she wanted to be with him more. They've essentially lived this before and those memories subconsciously reside in their hearts.

Oh, ok, I get it.

But why does the Planet need this loop? Didn't it have plenty of time to make a decision while observing events the first time around? Or are we inside its thought processes, so to speak? Are we somehow suspended inside that split second before it decides to send out the Lifestream to defeat Meteor?

Also, why should anything change within the Loop, if the Loop is the planet's review of events? Is it because Sephiroth has somehow actively inserted himself into the Loop? Not everything that threatens to change inside the Loop is a result of Sephiroth's agency.

Top Bottom