• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake or Reboot of FFVII

Which would you prefer

• Remake

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Reboot

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
^Then again in ACC Reno and Rude do mention a surprising number of old employees who are returning. I always took that to be an oblique reference to the old Turks.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm quite sure it is. There's a scene in The Kids Are Alright where Tseng tells Reno to wait for their old coworkers to report in. Since ACC takes place after that story, and Reno speaks of "the former emplyees" returning, I took it to mean the same people.

No reason to assume it's anyone else anyway.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
The AC dub says "a lot of people are returning to work" but I think the japanese versionwas like "the old crew is coming back to work" IIRC.

Poe-Lantern

Pro Adventurer
It's HAD endings, though. FFVII, though open to interpretation, has a definite ending. Advent Children also has a definite ending. Dirge of Cerberus even has an ending. They aren't making sequels because the current endings are genuinely open-ended (with the exception of Genesis post-Dirge but honestly does anyone want a game based on that??), they're making sequels because it's a cash cow.

And, I mean, I say this as a total fangirl who would gladly fork over said cash; I'll buy every damn compilation title they churn out, because I'm easy like that. But NONE of the compilation was ever necessary to complete the story, IMO.

I agree with you, final fantasy 7 is a cash cow compilation and really we did not need any of the compilation. But I meant that I would rather a final product to the compilation than a remake/reboot of the original. But (correct me if I am wrong) Dirge of Cerberus is the final product of the compilation and as it stands, the current ending of the compilation is Genesis' statement that it's not time to slumber or something.

I know that Square Enix probably put that there IN CASE they decide to add more to the compilation but they must have had some idea where they were going with this, didn't they? I would like to see what that is/was. I think. I, personally, would like an end to the compilation where Square Enix say 'this is it, we are done for real'. Does that make sense? I've only just woken up and yet to have breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea.

EDIT: WAIT. I just realised that Genesis wasn't the last thing we see from the compilation, Nanaki/Red XIII and his cubs is. So I guess what I just said makes no sense. Okay, I would like a final product explaining the scene at the end of DoC because I want to know what Genesis is talking about. Seems like something important. It doesn't even have to be a game.

I'm quite sure it is. There's a scene in The Kids Are Alright where Tseng tells Reno to wait for their old coworkers to report in. Since ACC takes place after that story, and Reno speaks of "the former emplyees" returning, I took it to mean the same people.

No reason to assume it's anyone else anyway.

I thought this too. Who else could it have a reference to? Shinra employees? I thought no one knew Rufus was alive, so were they approaching the Turks asking to return to work but for them or something?

Last edited:

JayM

Angry Lesbian
Poe-Lantern said:
I know that Square Enix probably put that there IN CASE they decide to add more to the compilation but they must have had some idea where they were going with this, didn't they?
Of course they did: $$$$

In all honesty they were probably just going to make a game with Genesis as the final villain, only Dirge got crap ratings, so they made that a prequel game instead so that they could still use Sephiroth in the marketing. Given how different his characterization was in Crisis Core (Genesis's, I mean), whatever original plans they had for him are almost certainly on the cutting room floor by now.

Poe Lantern said:
I, personally, would like an end to the compilation where Square Enix say 'this is it, we are done for real'. Does that make sense?
Perfect sense and I agree completely - I just don't think that's going to happen as long as there are people willing to buy remakes/spinoffs/sequels.

JayM

Angry Lesbian
All right, but the end of Dirge still doesn't make any sense with the way he was characterized in Crisis Core. So I still think they originally had different plans for him that changed some time in the development process.

JayM

Angry Lesbian
I can't be the only one who thought the end of Dirge was setting him up to be a New Villain. I don't think that's a far-fetched assumption; if nothing else, we'd only ever seen Weiss act as a villain at that point, and Genesis calls him "brother," at least in the English (never played Dirge in Japanese, cba to look it up), and flies off with him, implying at the very least that he does not view Weiss as his enemy.

It's not just the line itself but the way the scene is framed, with the death of the game's villain seeming to unseal something bigger/more deadly.

Whereas in Crisis Core his arc, well, ends. There's no implication that he's got further plans past Zack's defeating him. He decides to become the "guardian" of the planet or something IIRC.

Having him wake up after the latest big bad has been taken down makes sense if he's a new villain; if he's going to set himself up as the planet's guardian, though, why is he unsealed only AFTER Meteor, Geostigma, and Chaos are already gone?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I think Square's figured out they can milk the franchise with the same Cloud Strife figurine from PlayArts than going to the effort of making any more games.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Having him wake up after the latest big bad has been taken down makes sense if he's a new villain; if he's going to set himself up as the planet's guardian, though, why is he unsealed only AFTER Meteor, Geostigma, and Chaos are already gone?

If he is to be a guardian of the Planet. That basically means he's a Weapon. So my guess he's woken up then because with the destruction of Omega the Planet is fresh out of Weapons and has to resort to him.

A lot of our speculation over the years have involved Genesis being a third party, not allied with Avalanche, but not really the main villain either. That's not based on anything of course I remember some goood ideas being thrown around.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Regarding Genesis, being the planet's guardian isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with being a villain. Fuhito considered himself the planet's guardian as well, and the Weapons in the original game were the planet's self-created guardians. :monster:

But, yes, Dirge's ending was certainly set up in an ominous fashion. Genesis's awakening is clearly A Bad Thing.

JayM said:
... if nothing else, we'd only ever seen Weiss act as a villain at that point, and Genesis calls him "brother," at least in the English (never played Dirge in Japanese, cba to look it up) ...

Yeah, he calls him 弟/"otouto"/"little brother."

JayM

Angry Lesbian
ForceStealer said:
If he is to be a guardian of the Planet. That basically means he's a Weapon. So my guess he's woken up then because with the destruction of Omega the Planet is fresh out of Weapons and has to resort to him.
Right, I get ya. And I think there are plenty of ways to read it now that Crisis Core has happened and we know more about him. But I think if they had originally intended that, the end of DoC wouldn't've been so ominous. And I do acknowledge this is speculation, but I don't think it's completely groundless.

Jiro

Average Jiro
The longer these discussions go on, the more I feel like touching it at all is a bad idea. Initially, I was among the throngs of people who went "FF7 remake? fuck yeah!" because who wouldn't want to see one of their favourite games updated.

But now, now I think that's a terrible idea. Whether or not the current team has the ability to do FF7 justice is irrelevant; the format, the appearance and the delivery of the game are all perfect, and would fail if done any other way. Simply put, if you increase the graphical standard, you ruin everything. Wall Market is often cited in these examples: Cloud, as androgynous as he might be, could never pull off being a woman well enough in high-def, and even if he did, no licensing bureau in the world will turn a blind eye to the Honey Bee Inn.

The "shitty" look (which hasn't aged all that badly tbh) is what allows all these varying elements to be tied together without seeming out of place. I forget what I was saying for the most part but lets just hope SE will make games like it rather than trying to remake it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm inclined to agree. FFVII's greatness comes as much from its developers making the best of what they had at the time as it does from any other single element. The story's presentation, the characterization of the cast, the atmosphere of the world setting, and the player's sense of immersion therein weren't hindered by the graphical aesthetics.

Rather, all those things as we see them in the finished product came together to make the experience that defines what is FFVII. Another game with a fresher coat of paint may resemble FFVII in some respects, but it can never actually be FFVII.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
The videogame industry tends to like Hollywood industry have a hit and miss with remakes.Some of them will be good while others will be in the burn in a fire pile.I like to dance around a reboot because it would be fun to see everything reimagined in a different way.On the other hand this could possibly turn into the thing that needs to be buried alive.

Like I said it would be fun that maybe Jenova's role could be a little bit more expanded.She would of course still be under Sephiroth's control but it would be fun she could be possibly more than a plot device.Maybe she could have started regaining some of her brain functioning again.She might regain some power but she still wouldn't be strong enough to control Sephiroth.

Or maybe put more focus on the Cetra and probably have a sequences about their past lives.And a scene where Jenova came to Gaia and how she gained the trust of the Cetra then started wiping them out.Then show how they managed to finally defeat and encase in ice.I kinda of want more focus put on the Cetra and their struggle against Jenova.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
In the remake I want a mini make-up game (like those phone apps for girls) when Cloud goes in the Honeybee dressing room before the Corneo quest

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I wonder in a remake or reboot if Hojo will be made even more worse than he is already.

Top Bottom