Report Bugs

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
aight imma goan update the thing. If anyone would like the 'tlsupdates' ftp account (which should also be usable for regular ftp access), or their own ftp account, let me know.

Actually I had run a script that changes file permissions so that the site is more secure (e.g. lots of files can no longer be changed by the webserver user), which would complicate automagic updates.

I should also update the server / OS at some point; it currently has an uptime of 278 days, some stuff may be outdated / insecure.

Let's just hope updating doesn't also update php and the webserver to an incompatible version :wacky:. Actually let's not hope, let's test elsewhere first.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
So apparently my FTP account does have permission to upload plugins. I did not know that. My password is so secure that not only is it not written down anywhere, but, uh, I don't actually remember it. :monster: Since it's saved in WinSCP, however, I was able to upload the new Lightbox plugin manually. I tested it on Force's article and it looks fine - it behaves as it's supposed to - but I'll leave the final click of "publish" up to him in case he wants to make any further changes. :)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Probably due to some script I ran that changes a lot of important files and folders' permissions to only be writeable to the 'root' user (i.e. me); I can probably fix it, question is, what do you want to do? Plugins should be installed via the WP frontend thingy (which probably doesn't work either due to the previously mentioned thingy).

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I've been having trouble changing my avatar today. I made like, 4 or 5 attempts, amd each time, I've gotten an error saying "unable to save image."

And that's both with the Upload option and the URL option. I was trying to change my avatar back to my previous one.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Might as well poast here beacause why not.

I just updated the operating system and whatnot of our server; risky move because I'm an idiot, but, it's done now. This caused some downtime for about an hour or so I believe.

I ran into two issues;

one: forums were returning HTTP 503 errors after the upgrade. This seems to have been caused by a warning emitted from certain files in (iirc) the shoutbox, which was using some ancient and deprecated PHP code constructs. I've edited the files, which apparently was all it took / was fine. (did that years ago at FFOF too).

two: I got a database error when clicking the New Poasts, indicating that the `session` table could not be updated. It seems vB will try and update the session table with the user agent of the current user (i.e. a text indicating what browser the user is using, etc). However, this text was too long. Probably due to a default configuration change, mySQL now rejects attempts to insert too much data with an error, instead of automagically truncating the data. This may cause database errors again, just let me know if / when they happen and I'll either fix the database column, or disable 'strict' mode so the DB automagically truncates data again.

edit: just happened again when poasting, I've disabled strict mode for now. I think :monster:

Need to be careful with upgrading PHP and shit, there will be a time when vB 3 simply doesn't work anymore.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You don't say :awesome:

On that, what we could do is single out a single subforum or topic (e.g. FFXV) and have that link to the new boards, see how people feel about it. Tech stuff can be fixed (although I'm somehow sure moving over poasts will be a pain and the new software seems over 9000 times more complicated because reasons), but more emotional reasons, idk

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
There's a new minor version of Wordpress with some security fixes but I'm unable to perform the upgrade with my FTP account. I'll say no more lest I get accused of treating this thread as a service desk again. :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
HOW DAR actually yeah it's beacause the thing is locked down and shit to avoid haxorz :monster:. The test site has updated automagically, I got a notification of that one.

edit: updaeted. Let me know if uploading images is borken again.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Sup. For the last couple of weeks, when I log in, I get an error page with 'invalid redirect URL' on it, and I have to click back to the main page to keep going. Costs my about three seconds, so not exactly a priority, but thought I should mention something. I used to just get redirected the forum index page after the login, but it doesn't work anymore.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hm, I'm not seeing it; could you copy / paste the URL that you're being sent to after logging in?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Strange. I guess it's because you're using 'www.' in the URL, which is not really necessary. I'll set up something so it automagically redirects people to http://thelifestream.net without the www.

edit: done, see how it works now.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Not as such; tried to, but it says I need to verify I own www.thelifestream.net (whilst I've already proven I own it without the subdomain). Probably not necessary, I / we've always used the domain without www, and that's how it already appears on google. But, let me know if it doesn't.

Interesting to click through the webmaster tools again. There's 10.000 indexed links pointing to our site, 6.614 of them from Pinterest, and 6.284 link directly to this character profile. Second one in the direct link list is this landing page, with a comparatively paltry 555 links.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
\o/

Three seconds adds up to a lot over time though. I mean assuming it's 3 seconds a day, that's about 3 * 365 * 100 = 1.2 days saved.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
not sure if that particular skin you picked (mobile narrow [dev]) was actually finished tbf.

Ghost X

All images at the top of the forum have always been broken on my phone's default browser, as well as some links and drop down menus, but it don't bother me too much. Probably should try chrome but cba :p.

EDIT: Ninja'd possibly :P.

Last edited:
What's going on with the forum? The thread topic boxes are far too wide.

EDIT: Oh wait it might have been fixed now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom