SPOILERS Saying farewells to Jairus/Trying to make sense of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Okay, I didn't want to join in this Jairus discussion or whatever because I can't deal with that right now but yesterday when I was looking for Tifa fanarts on twitter (don't have a twitter account, btw, so I don't know exactly how twitter works except for the basic search), I saw Jairus arguing with Tifa fans in a Tifa thread and I just... why?! Why does it feel like he's everywhere?!

Then I read the latest posts in this thread and I'm utterly stunned to see how deep this rabbit hole goes. With my mental and emotional state right now, I didn't need to know all of this. It's actually scaring me for a reason. I just want to fan in peace. But my curiosity is also killing me and now I kinda want to dig a little more at the expense of my sanity. Idk, idk... this incident is so confusing to me, my mind can't wrap itself around it.

The facts aren't going anywhere. Wait until you are good and ready. Until then, distance yourself from any drama.

@Thread: And, because my stupidity can sometimes get the better of me, yesterday I had half a mind to intervene on Twitter. Thank goodness I stopped myself, remembering all the times I ended up burning after being too nice to the wrong person.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
The facts aren't going anywhere. Wait until you are good and ready. Until then, distance yourself from any drama.

@Thread: And, because my stupidity can sometimes get the better of me, yesterday I had half a mind to intervene on Twitter. Thank goodness I stopped myself, remembering all the times I ended up burning after being too nice to the wrong person.

I already started on the video Ody posted and I couldn't really finish it so there's that. Turned it off when I was halfway through the vid and thought I can't take anymore of this shit. Nope, not dipping my toes into that toxic waterhole. Definitely keeping those words in mind.

Also gotta thank our innate self-preservation instinct. Mine is telling me to run away.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
iirc didn't someone come onto this forum in attempt to seek the people responsible for that debacle? and it was vaguely suspected that they may have been involved somehow? that was a whole other mess.

...I swear I am not about about spreading a toxic Internet gawking, but also fuck those guys.
Yeah they came online in the hope the forum would band together in some holy quest then someone pointed out the person in questions story didn't add up. Ended up in a massive dramafest and then the person buggered off to the next FF forum

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Okay, I didn't want to join in this Jairus discussion or whatever because I can't deal with that right now but yesterday when I was looking for Tifa fanarts on twitter (don't have a twitter account, btw, so I don't know exactly how twitter works except for the basic search), I saw Jairus arguing with Tifa fans in a Tifa thread and I just... why?! Why does it feel like he's everywhere?!

Then I read the latest posts in this thread and I'm utterly stunned to see how deep this rabbit hole goes. With my mental and emotional state right now, I didn't need to know all of this. It's actually scaring me for a reason. I just want to fan in peace. But my curiosity is also killing me and now I kinda want to dig a little more at the expense of my sanity. Idk, idk... this incident is so confusing to me, my mind can't wrap itself around it.

This is what I meant by him not going anywhere.

It's pretty wild to think about, but he's not going to give up, nor is he going to tone it down. He may not be here, but you and everyone are going to be experiencing this dude stanning for Jessie in the most irrational and just plain obnoxious ways possible for as long as that character fixation exists within his mind.

Just...Try not to let him ruin the character or story for you. That's the best thing you can do. :monster:

I literally have to stop myself from thinking, "I swear if I hear her fucking name one more goddamn time..." And try to detach the baggage from the character. :wacky:

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
This is what I meant by him not going anywhere.

It's pretty wild to think about, but he's not going to give up, nor is he going to tone it down. He may not be here, but you and everyone are going to be experiencing this dude stanning for Jessie in the most irrational and just plain obnoxious ways possible for as long as that character fixation exists within his mind.

Just...Try not to let him ruin the character or story for you. That's the best thing you can do. :monster:

I literally have to stop myself from thinking, "I swear if I hear her fucking name one more goddamn time..." And try to detach the baggage from the character. :wacky:

Definitely not. I'll love FFVII for what it is, Jairus or no Jairus. But I'd be lying if I say it's not affecting my enjoyment as a fan. There were times when I wanted to talk about Jessie here after Remake's release but refrained from doing so because I just KNOW Jairus will hijack the conversation, which unfortunately made me feel lukewarm to any topics involving her. It's... sad. Now when I'm looking for fanarts (and Remake news) on twitter I feel apprehensive when I click on posts involving the Avalanche trio (and I dare not click on anything that has Jessie in it). Yeah, it's not just that one Tifa thread. He's also in some posts that has the Avalanche trio in them, even saw him demanding SE for more Avalanche trio (specifically Jessie) to prove to the fans SE actually likes these characters. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of his post IIRC; tbh, I was no longer paying much attention to what he's writing in his posts. In a few instances, saw him trying to subtly suggest to Tifa/Aerith fan artists to 'maybe do Jessie next time' (i.e., it's nice, but can you do Jessie?) or something. From what I saw, it seems to me he has made a reputation for himself in twitter as I saw some users call him 'that Jessie stan' or something similar.

I'm a bit relieved I don't have a twitter account because I swear I was so close to just telling him to fuck off. He wasn't even talking to me, but I felt like I was being harassed given the number of times I accidentally encountered his account in twitter while innocently scouring for fanarts and FFVII news. It's not even about the quantity of his posts that I have a problem with; it's their content. Again, I don't want to have to do anything about this matter with Jairus as I don't even know what he's up to outside of twitter, but he sure seems like a veritable presence in twitter. And this is from someone who does not have twitter. I think I'm going to take a break from fanart hunting for a while.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
He has sixteen followers on twitter. Even I have more than that. I wouldn't worry.

This may sound bizarre to you but I don't know how the number of followers influence twitter algorithms? Does twitter even have algorithms? I don't really understand the relevance. I'll just take your word on it. Either way, I really am serious with laying low on fanart hunting for a while.

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
Maybe Jairus' posts and comments show up more frequently for us because we've recently checked out his Twitter feed due to the discussion here? You know, the ranking algorithms and what not. Just a guess. Though yeah, simply staying away would be one solution to that.

Anyway, I know someone IRL who is borderline obsessive and needs to be right about whatever their current obsession is. Agree with them and they think they've won. They'll come up with more absurd claims next time. Stay neutral and they won't stop making the same point over and over again till your ears fall off. Argue with them, and they'll snap at you and find a million excuses to prove you wrong. Keep it up and they'll play the "I'm the outcast, you're so toxic" card. The closest people to this person who don't know how to deal with this crap have fallen into depression.

I don't think Jairus is as toxic as this other person, or at least I'd like to believe he's not. Either way, I've found that the best thing to do is to not engage, as tempting as it might be to call out their crap. Sometimes I think such people unconsciously bait others into an argument just for the sake of it.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
Here is the FFVII House thread thing being discussed btw

https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/jen-the-sarah-saga-and-where-she-went.17745/

I personally find that whole situation morbidly fascinating.

I happened to watch that video a year ago or so and yes, I felt exactly the same (and, incidentally, with many other videos from the same author. That guy is good), and I still don't know if I should feel ashamed or not. It's just that, by watching how they ensnared their victims gives you some tips to spot the red flags.

Jairus, and other examples of toxicity, are the reasons why, despite my enthusiasm for FFVII, I've kept my distance and remained more focussed on XV. There are crazies in every single fandom, I know, but when a title is no more a fringe thing and becomes a world-wide, million-selling phenomena, it turns unmanageable in some aspects. It's like changing from your local pub to a macrodisco. Not that you stop loving it, mind you, but you are less prone to mingle with new people, or enter new places to discuss anything.

There's also a limit to all the fanart that I can consume. Ten years ago it was, not exactly scarce, but you had to hunt it down. Now there are such a bajillion artists publishing their thing, and most of them are so good that you are likely to develop Stendhal Syndrome after a while.

AKA
Alex
Jairus, and other examples of toxicity, are the reasons why, despite my enthusiasm for FFVII, I've kept my distance and remained more focussed on XV. There are crazies in every single fandom, I know, but when a title is no more a fringe thing and becomes a world-wide, million-selling phenomena, it turns unmanageable in some aspects. It's like changing from your local pub to a macrodisco. Not that you stop loving it, mind you, but you are less prone to mingle with new people, or enter new places to discuss anything.

I've run into enough... interesting fans over the years. When I used to run on the Star Trek forums, one user would get up and post long essay-length responses to posts I'd make every morning for days on end, at around the exact same time each morning. I had a guy try to rally an entire forum against me because I made the mistake of criticizing his plan to take on a corporate entity and "rescue" sets that had already been dismantled from a studio backlot. I've seen enough of them - you deal with it by starving them out. No responses, no acknowledgement, nothing. That's the same kind of mentality I applied to this situation.

Had I known what Jairus was dealing with in his personal life (especially after reading this topic), I probably would have been a lot less flippant in the conversations I had with him. I get the sense that the tacit acknowledgement I gave him early on in some topics just emboldened him to go further and further with his points, which unfortunately had a detrimental effect on others.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
Just read Stark Trek and I knew eaxclty the kind of post you would write :awesome: Another fandom I'd rather experience alone or with close family members

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Those people really need to wake up, for their own good. Jesus christ.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
When I used to run on the Star Trek forums, one user would get up and post long essay-length responses to posts I'd make every morning for days on end, at around the exact same time each morning. I had a guy try to rally an entire forum against me because I made the mistake of criticizing his plan to take on a corporate entity and "rescue" sets that had already been dismantled from a studio backlot.

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Okay, I know I haven't been like the most active person on TLS for....well, since I signed up here how many years ago, but having just stumbled across this thread, all I can say is yo, what the fuck. what the fuck?!

......It's way too early on a Monday (yes, I know there's 30 minutes till it's noon it's ain't noon till the clock hits 12:00) for me to process this. Hell, this is way too early in the week for me to process this. For the sake of self-care, I. I'm. I'm going to take a break, get some food and just resume to my usual status of being a looky-loo lurker and procrastinate on my art and try not to dwell on this too much because this was too much to handle in like one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom