So is Sephiroth the strongest dude in FF7 or what

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Not quite. They were speaking of impact and presence, not sheer unstoppable-ness.

Anyways, while canon is always an iffy business in fighting games, it's generally held that the abilities displayed are the abilities held.

Now, there's always the question of explaining why, if these EX bursts are available they aren't always used.
The answer's actually pretty obvious when you think about it- EX force and Cores aren't merely an abstraction, they're there. They allow people to access to powers they, for some reason or another, cannot access. They're essentially gimmicks to emulate or retrieve things that did not make it through the disjoining of worlds. It's why Gabranth does not always have access to the Mist, and why Kefka can't use the warring triad in full unless he's in EX.
Same with Golby and his shadow dragon, or Firi and the blood weapons-
They're all blood weapons, BTW- including the axe and lance. The color does change.

As for the Black Materia taking weeks vs seconds- smaller meteors are easier to move and come in quicker. Meteor took so long to land because it was building up for a depopulation event.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, a lot of people take that quote out of context. That's his will. Not his ability.

And Ryu, I definitely like your theory on that. That makes a whole lot of sense, and irons out everything right there. I think you make the most sense here.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Square-Enix itself has mentioned in one of their interviews that Sephiroth is the strongest Final Fantasy VII character. When even the creators say it, I guess it's proof enough.

Not quite. They were speaking of impact and presence, not sheer unstoppable-ness.

Yes, that's what was said in "The Distance", but they were refering to the character itself and not his power.

Yeah, a lot of people take that quote out of context. That's his will. Not his ability.

This one, yes:

Tetsuya Nomura in Flaregamer interview said:
Kitase said that Sephiroth's existence and will is extremely powerful. There is nothing stronger, nothing above him.

But i guess Cetra29 is refering to this one:

Tetsuya Nomura in Staff Commentary said:
Producer Kitase decided that they couldn't make any other character stronger than Sephiroth in the world of FFVII.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Now, there's always the question of explaining why, if these EX bursts are available they aren't always used.
The answer's actually pretty obvious when you think about it- EX force and Cores aren't merely an abstraction, they're there. They allow people to access to powers they, for some reason or another, cannot access. They're essentially gimmicks to emulate or retrieve things that did not make it through the disjoining of worlds.

That's a creative explanation that I like, but I still think it doesn't work for the reasons outlined in the discussion I've been having with Mako. If Kefka got the full powers of the Warring Triad for even a few minutes, we're looking at a depopulation event right there.

Ryushikaze said:
They're all blood weapons, BTW- including the axe and lance. The color does change.

Not during the cutscenes.

Ryushikaze said:
As for the Black Materia taking weeks vs seconds- smaller meteors are easier to move and come in quicker. Meteor took so long to land because it was building up for a depopulation event.

But Meteor itself as far as FFVII is concerned is never described as anything less than an ELE.

...Because she's the hero, and she was able to win cause she was stronger? I mean, it's not that hard to accept. How was Cloud able to defeat Sephiroth in ACC? It's the same thing.

I guess that's hard to argue with. I just kind of expected Kefka to get right to the point once he made up his mind.

Mako Eyes said:
So why should we automatically assume something is not apart of it and parse it from the rest of everything else? Unless it's radically incongruent (i.e. breaking the 4th wall, defying internal thematic/world logic) how can you just say its not part of the story too?

I had felt they were defying internal thematic/world logic, but one of your later points makes me wonder if maybe not.

But to clarify, you'd say that OK's EX Burst isn't part of the story due to the 4th wall-breaking elements?

Mako Eyes said:
And I don't think you can say that the attacks are only gameplay, seeing as how we see the characters using their gameplay attacks within cutscenes of the story itself.

Like I said, if an ability shows up within the story, it's automatically counted as part of the story from there on for me.

Mako Eyes said:
So then again, by that logic, there's no reason to discount the EX modes of any of the characters because they appeared in the storylines of each of the characters' original games. They're part of their characters' story.

The problem we were presented is in whether the heroes could plausibly defeat the villains if they still had their previous powers.

Mako Eyes said:
Satellite Beam is just gimmick illusion. All it is, is just Barret firing a blast of energy from the sky from his gun. It's not so much as the attack doesn't exist, it's just that it's illusionary and gimmicky. That's all.

"Illusion" makes me think of Mysterio or something -- as though the characters are giving the impression that things are happening like that when they're really not. I'm not sure if we're using the same understanding of the word.

In my mind, the attack just doesn't and couldn't exist. Same with Supernova.

Mako Eyes said:
So then what's...the disagreement? You've just accepted that he'd be able to do it, and it wouldn't be inconsistent based on the story. XD

My point was that the story wasn't making use of something from the gameplay so much as the gameplay was making use of something from the story. Granted, it's present in both, but I think you see my point.

Mako Eyes said:
Why are you parsing the gameplay and story separately, when they're both completely consistent?

But they're not completely consistent. Black Materia being a perfect example.

Mako Eyes said:
Sephiroth is capable of limit breaking, since he even is stated to have one. And I'd say that he too limit breaked (or at least did something equivalent to it) when he finally got serious in terms of his wound inflicting on Cloud. The mode where he donnes the wing in Dissidia (whatever you want to call it..Ex mode, limit break, etc) is pretty much that form itself. So again, why say it doesn't exist and isn't part of the story, when it is in line with the story in the first place?

I wasn't saying he isn't capable of pulling out the wing -- we know he can. He'd done it before.

Mako Eyes said:
You're missing what I'm saying. Yeah, of course he doesn't have to limit break to class change. But to do it while in combat and in-between attacking, while also using his unique ability which is only accessible while in Ex-Mode, is pretty much an obvious nod to his EX mode.

Of course it is. I never disagreed with that. All I said is that his EX Burst is the same as that barrage he unleashed in one scene from the story -- but that it's something we know he could do because of that scene.

Mako Eyes said:
All of the villains have powers that have the capability of ripping the world apart. Sephiroth's profile even says he has more than enough power to do so. So again, that's not inconsistent at all.

A good point about Sephiroth. Though, in his case, I don't think he wanted Chaos' side to win anyway.

But you may well be making a point that could apply to the rest.

Mako Eyes said:
Okay, I see what you're saying. But Ex mode is pretty much the equivalent of limit breaking, and most of those forms and abilities are pretty much what happens when the characters have their backs against the wall. If you analyze it that way, it makes sense. Or you can look at it as the characters themselves personally having a preference as to when they want to use their abilities and when they don't want to. Ultimecia doesn't have to junction herself to Griever every single fight, for example.

Why does Terra not fight all her battles in her Esper form? Because that would expend a lot of energy, and it would make controlling her powers even more difficult. Why does Cloud not fight in his limit break form all the time, with the Ultima Weapon? Because expending that much spirit energy all the time would tire him out and waste energy, and while Ultima Weapon is a better weapon, he prefers to use the Buster Sword (Zack's memento) because of personal preference.

You can explain their limit break/overdrive/etc forms that way. They're really not that hard to explain. I see what you're saying about how it'd be a dilemna but you can easily chalk it up to either character choice, or practicality. You can't constantly fight every battle at full strength, otherwise you'd tire yourself out endlessly.

Fair enough.

Mako Eyes said:
For whatever reason, they don't change the models or anything, in any cutscene of Dissidia, even when it would make sense to. So I dunno if it was a space thing, or laziness. So I wouldn't be too sure of if it were within the developer's ability. My main point though, was that they referenced his iconic transformation from FFII, which in turn is also referenced in his EX Mode.

Certainly it was referenced. The Emperor referenced it himself even.

Mako Eyes said:
And ExDeath has the natural ability to turn into a giant tree XD

That's something he's always had.

Of course.

Mako Eyes said:
Why does this always come back to Kefka? XD

He's the only one whose transformation is directly associated with and dependent on a power-up that puts him in a class ridiculously far above the heroes, right?

Even the Emperor's King of Hell form wasn't shown to be so absurd. It may well have been, but we never saw him do the same sort of things.

Also, like we've discussed -- Exdeath could always turn into a tree, Sephiroth can sprout a wing if he feels like it, Ultimecia can junction herself to Griever if she feels like it, and Kuja should be able to Trance on his own by now. Not even really going to bother trying to explain Jecht, but he was never really a Warrior of Chaos to begin with.

Mako Eyes said:
How do you know they never fought in the story? It's entirely possible, nay, probable, that some time within the previous cycle or during a time we do not see, Kuja and Sephiroth could've crossed paths. Kuja is shown to be easy to annoy, and more than willing to pick a fight with even his own comrades.

Kuja's new to the cycle according to Garland, and he had no recollection of any previous turns of it. In his first appearance in the story, Ultimecia was telling him the truth about it and Kuja was in disbelief.

Mako Eyes said:
Why would the developers go through the trouble of writing unique lines of dialogue that express and showcase the personalities and relationships between the characters, if they didn't want us to take them into consideration?

For the reason you said: They showcase the personalities of the characters. This is actually a pretty good example of what Laubholz was talking about earlier in that a non-canonical entry in a series could offer insight into a character's personality or be consistent with how they were presented previously.

Obviously Dissidia itself is canon, but some of these conversations are not.

Mako Eyes said:
Uh, knowing Tidus. I definitely he did. XD Why wouldn't he? That's so Tidus, it hurts. Look how he speaks to Seymour in FFX. It's his character.

Mako Eyes said:
That's not inconsistent at all. You don't think Firion and Tidus ever talked about their previous experiences against the villains? Tidus told Firion about Jecht, why wouldn't Firion talk about the Emperor and humorously mention the sound he made as he fell? That's how he'd know about it, and it's rather funny. There's no need to automatically discount it as an inconsistency at all.

That's the thing: The Emperor's death cry is only funny when written out, and in light of its difference from typical death cries known to us, the players.

Bellowed while someone is choking death out of their lungs, "Uboaaaar!" doesn't really sound humorous or peculiar. No more so than "Aaaargh!" at any rate. It just sounds like somebody dying. It sounds funny to us because we've never seen that anywhere else.

Mako Eyes said:
Character unique attacks are apart of the story. Warrior of Light uses Rune Saber in his showdown against Garland. Kefka uses Ultima against Onion Knight. Cloud uses Braver against Sephiroth. Sephiroth uses Sudden Cruelty against Cloud. Golbez uses Cosmic Ray against Cecil. You can't argue that their attacks are only gameplay and not part of the story, when every character's attacks are showcased in the story.

Every character's attacks are showcased, but not every character's attack. Follow me?

Some are, some are not.

Mako Eyes said:
How does that make sense? You can't just pick and choose which attacks are part of the story, and which aren't, man.

I wasn't trying to at all. I was letting the game do it.

Mako Eyes said:
Exactly. And that's where my explanation earlier comes into play. You can't fight at maximum strength each and every fight. It'd be a waste of energy. Cloud would be exhausting himself, and not even taking his own advice. So that, coupled with his preference for using the Buster Sword, makes perfect sense as to why he's not just wielding the Ultima Weapon or Ex Bursting/limit breaking every single time.

Well, that, and then it wouldn't technically be a Limit Break if he could. XD

Mako Eyes said:
No..not really. He only takes that exact posture from FFIV when doing his Ex Mode attack, Darkness. When he starts a fight, he takes a similar stance when summoning his weapon, but it's not that exact stance.

It looks identical to me, in all honesty:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3171/cecilsstance.jpg

Mako Eyes said:
Okay, maybe I misunderstood you, and for that I'm sorry....Because I agree with you here. I don't think there are little blue, crystal bells that always conveniently appear in a fight between two people. No, I don't think that at all. Nor do I think grabbing said bells is needed to limit break. But I'm just saying that the unique transformations and skills each character is depicted as having in this Ex Mode, is applicable and part of their story and character. Because they're all based on their inherent abilities/transformations/etc.

That's partly where I find disagreement then, I think -- and, yes, it's coming back to Kefka :P -- as I don't consider the Warring Triad power to be inherent to him.

Mako Eyes said:
I don't think that's his trance/limit break at all, actually. All he's doing in those cutscenes is using the attack "Weaponmaster." It parallels it perfectly. His weapons get that same magical blue aura, and move telepathically as they do in each cutscene.

It's Weaponmaster, yeah. But I'm saying in the story, it's presented as him going into Trance -- he uses it in those kinds of situations.

Mako Eyes said:
That was applicable back when FF games were turn based, not to scale, and had grossly inconsistent portrayals. But games today don't have that problem, especially an action game as Dissidia where there are things that are consistent.

True, there aren't as many issues.

Mako Eyes said:
Not that hard to accept. It's not the same scale of power as it was in FFVI since he only is capable of tapping into it as a limit break. But it's still him being able to fight as a form, stronger than he was as just a Magitek knight. He has achieved power greater than what he had before.

Well, like I said early on in this discussion, I can accept that he can take on that form and be more powerful while doing so -- it is a Limit Break, after all -- but not that he's running around with the power to roast cities whenever he feels like it.

Mako Eyes said:
And really, why are you acting like Terra's abilities are so grossly inadequate when compared to Kefka? She's an actual Esperkin, who was probably the strongest character in terms of raw magical power, in FFVI.

Compared to the Warring Triad, she was nothing. Kefka casually blew Espers away before he got that power.

It's likely that without magicite, the Returners wouldn't have had a chance against him -- Terra included.

Mako Eyes said:
Nope, not in their initial storyline profiles. It's not a strategy or game guide, all it does is serve to introduce the characters and their stories, since it's only an "Ultimania *alpha." It speaks of their fighting style at most and what to expect, but it's an introductory guidebook that just outlines how they are in their story/game and what they can do. But it's not a really a strategy guide at all. Here's an example.

The examples you provided reference gameplay, though. I also used Google to find the source for the translations -- ffchaoticcosmos on LiveJournal, right? -- and frequent reference is made to the gameplay and how the player will have to/should use the character. For example, with Warrior of Light:

"As orthodox as the original game. He easily handles both offense and defense, and is all-purpose type fighter. Conversely, since he doesn't specialize in anything, you have to be very aware of exactly how to use him in any given situation."

Even alternate costumes are mentioned.

Certainly the characters' personalities were incorporated into their fighting styles, as indicated by these translations, but the profiles themselves don't seem to shy away from combining story elements and gameplay-only elements -- even in a breaking of the 4th wall by referring to how the player should use the character -- into the same profile.

Mako Eyes said:
That's really more of an easter egg, if anything.

Isn't that true of a lot of things in Dissidia?

Mako Eyes said:
Considering how that essentially makes her a universal god, I think the creators decided that wouldn't really work, and thus she was given her other form, which was more inherit to her, and within the realm of plausibility. That's just their choice in terms of creating the game.

So you've kinda answered your own question, as to why they didn't :monster:

Maybe so.

Mako Eyes said:
It's not really an inconsistency. It's more like, creator choice. Why do you think they chose to make Sephiroth his one-winged form from AC, instead of him being Safer Sephiroth? In the end, it's creative discretion. There aren't any real rules for them to follow.

True. But my point in bringing up inconsistencies regarding the villains' power levels was to respond to your earlier point that some characters having "reality"-applicable EX forms while some didn't would be inconsistent -- when it's really just the power levels that I'm using as the distinction for what's applicable to "reality."

Mako Eyes said:
Well, I've been explaining this change from an out-of-universe perspective. But in terms of the storyline, you could explain that as Chaos's own discretion. Remember, he is the one who's pulling these villains from their respective universes, and resurrecting them to fight for him.

Well, in terms of the story, Chaos probably felt that Ultimecia's power at that time was simply two great. Because as you've explained and pointed out, that almost puts her on the same level as Chaos himself.

Interestingly enough, Chaos's encounter quotes kinda hints at him feeling his power is superior to hers.. "Time does not exist in chaos."

Interesting observation. And I suppose it's hard to argue with "A wizard/Chaos did it" when so much else is plausibly explained within the story by the same concept.

Mako Eyes said:
Well in Dissidia's setting, where pretty much, all the remains of existence had been shattered and combined into the single twisted world we see them interact in...a power such as hers would pretty much be capable of doing the same thing Chaos was trying to do. She's one of the strongest villains, in terms of her universal Time Compression form. If she had that power in Dissidia...and was capable and allowed to use it, do you not see the existential clusterfuck that would occur? She would exist as a singularity in the universe, and time would stop. That would make things even more screwy than they are now.

True. That would be a good reason for Chaos not to allow her to have that power.

Mako Eyes said:
Hey, you've only given me two! Kefka, and Ultimecia. And I've explained them. In-Universe, and out.

I also gave you Kuja! :monster: <--(first time I've used that)

Mako Eyes said:
Kefka's power isn't at the same level as it was in FFVI, seeing as how he's only able to use it as a last resort. It's not the same as FFVI.

If you're saying that even when he reaches Trance, he's still not as powerful as he was while in that form in FFVI, then we've got no disagreement. I can let it go at that.

My only beef was with him being able to tap into that supreme power at all. If he can't do so, and can only use Light of Judgment once in a good, long while -- even while in that form -- rather whenever he feels like it, then we're good.

The gap between Terra and Kefka becomes comparable to that between Squall and Ultimecia, or Exdeath and Bartz. That, I can live with.

Mako Eyes said:
As for why Ultimecia not getting her final form, it's just creator choice, or in terms of the story, Chaos not wanting her to have it.

Fair enough. I can accept "Chaos did it."

Mako Eyes said:
They were in their original story however, and by that alone, that validates them. I don't see any reason at all to discount them, if they're validated by having appeared in the previous story.

Well, Deathbringer goes away in the original story -- and may have become the Mythgraven Blade. As for Boko, we'll he's obvious.

Mako Eyes said:
You don't think it can work both ways? Dissidia is a perfect example of that! A majority of the gameplay examples reflect aspects of the original story for all the characters. It doesn't have to be either/or.

It doesn't, but the story should always be the final word in my opinion.

Mako Eyes said:
How do you know he doesn't has it? In almost every depiction of Squall ever made, he's referenced as having the Lionheart.

I thought we were still talking about the opening. Though I still don't feel like he ever had it in the story of FFVIII either. XD

Mako Eyes said:
Creator discretion. Or Chaos discretion. In terms of the story, that's Chaos's choice as to how he resurrects them and allows them to manifest their powers. They're tied to him and his existence. There's no real set rule in terms of who has what.

That makes sense. As long as we're both saying what I think we are -- that Kefka can take on his angelic form, but doesn't actually have the ridiculus amount of power he had when he was previously in that form -- then I think there's no further disagreement at work on that particular matter.

Mako Eyes said:
You're not a pain in the ass, you just have a differing viewpoint. And we're discussing it ^^ I think we've made some progress since I better understand your position and where you're coming from.

Likewise.

Mako Eyes said:
What you quoted right there, is just rumor. And creatively, I think it's a tongue-in-cheek nod, to how players think that Phoenix Downs literally raise the dead, in terms of gameplay.

Of course that's what it is. I was just being a pain in the ass. XD

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
And once again I'd like to ask:

ARE WE STILL DISCUSSING THE ACTUAL TOPIC? :monster:

I just see some ridiculous overanalyzing about Dissidia going on. :monster:

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
And once again I'd like to ask:

ARE WE STILL DISCUSSING THE ACTUAL TOPIC? :monster:

I just see some ridiculous overanalyzing about Dissidia going on. :monster:

More or less. :monster:

In the middle of all the Dissidia discussion, there's a subject about how the heroes can defeat the villains, who were, in their original games, a lot more powerful than the heroes, wich, to an extent, also applies to Cloud and Sephiroth.

So, there's still a little sparkle of the original topic in here. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's a creative explanation that I like, but I still think it doesn't work for the reasons outlined in the discussion I've been having with Mako. If Kefka got the full powers of the Warring Triad for even a few minutes, we're looking at a depopulation event right there.

Well technically, there's no one really alive in Dissidia's world save for the characters, and manikins wandering about :monster:

But see, I'm not saying Kefka's powers from the Warring Triad are of the same magnitude as they were in FFVI. When he's sending his Light of Destruction down on an enemy, it's not of the same intensity as it was back in FFVI where it was capable of splitting the earth. Just like Sephiroth's Black Materia isn't conjuring up a planetoid sized meteor to slam into the opponent. It's at a lower intensity. It's been toned down.

But Meteor itself as far as FFVII is concerned is never described as anything less than an ELE.

It's the Black Magic spell Meteor of Final Fantasy. It's been given a plot role in FFVII's story, but it's still the same magic. In terms of power its higher than all else, but there's no reason to doubt it couldn't be scaled down to be used on a smaller scale if one's spirit energy is mighty enough to control it. Which is definitely the case with Sephiroth. And then you could also reason that Chaos is the one who fashioned it to work in this manner for his purpose of defeating Cosmos.

I had felt they were defying internal thematic/world logic, but one of your later points makes me wonder if maybe not.

But to clarify, you'd say that OK's EX Burst isn't part of the story due to the 4th wall-breaking elements?

I wouldn't say Onion Knight's Ex Burst isn't part of the story. He definitely can throw shurikens and cast Holy, and either do a Back Attack, or finish his spells with Meteor.

But..the whole input windows, taking a step forward, and basically mimicing a turn based battle from FFIII, is just gameplay/easter egg. He's not really fighting like that. It's the same way as when discussing an old school FF, the heroes aren't really taking turns beating each other, or having windows to input things. They're just fighting.

In terms of Onion Knight's Ex Burst, the gameplay takes a radical shift temporarily to turned base for nostalgia, and has you input Onion Knight's actions that way. But in terms of story, it's definitely not there. It's just Onion Knight throwing shurikens and fighting and all.

Like I said, if an ability shows up within the story, it's automatically counted as part of the story from there on for me.

See, that criteria makes perfect sense in old school RPGs and all. But you gotta remember that Dissidia isn't just an RPG. It's also a 3D, to scale, fighting game. You're not really going to run into implausible, illogical conundrums such as turned based fighting, backgrounds that aren't to scale, Sabin suplexing a moving train, or Tifa Meteodriving Emerald WEAPON. The characters are in their set environment, fighting with their given moves.

And see, I think that if the storyline here in Dissidia validates the existence of character Bravery/HP fighting moves, such as Cloud using Braver, Emperor Mateus using Lightning Crest, Golbez using Cosmic Ray, etc...then that's a pretty strong authorial nod in favor of character attacks being considered part of the story. The story has not given us any reason to doubt their existence or to pick and choose which attacks exist, and which attacks do not. Logically speaking, unless there's an attack that just makes absolutely no logical/thematic sense, all attacks are to be taken. Why take Braver, but not Havoc Wing, when they both serve the same function, and are both attacks used by characters within this game? Impartially, and logically speaking, what would be the reason?

The problem we were presented is in whether the heroes could plausibly defeat the villains if they still had their previous powers.

But isn't that a bit of a subjective criticism? Fans are so quick to state how implausible a hero is to beating a planet busting opponent with all the 1337 abilities, but sometimes people forget that these characters are also extremely powerful and superhuman too. These heroes are not normal. And while there may be a gulf in power, that gap is filled by the sheer determination, will, experience, and drive a hero has to endure and take down an opponent that is stronger than them. It may sound like a shonen manga/anime cliche, but that's how it is. A hero is gonna rise above their limits and take down someone above them if push comes to shove.

If Cloud can fucking fight Sephiroth balls out with a pierced chest and lung, several deep slashes, a hole in his foot and knee, and severe blood loss, then holy shit, give these heroes credit. Terra's an inhuman magical monster, for one. You don't think if you backed her to the wall, she'd come at you like her life depended on it? Kefka's not the only one who's scary.

"Illusion" makes me think of Mysterio or something -- as though the characters are giving the impression that things are happening like that when they're really not. I'm not sure if we're using the same understanding of the word.

In my mind, the attack just doesn't and couldn't exist. Same with Supernova.

No, the attacks exist. Supernova is referenced several time as being a storyline existing limit break/attack of Sephiroth's. It's also referenced in the storyline exclusive Ultimanias. What I'm saying is that the attack itself is not really annihilating the universe. It's all part of the spell's appearance and casting.

I'm going to use an example from FFX now. Do you remember how when the heroes went to Seymour Guado's mansion the first time, they were able to see, feel and hear old Zanarkand thanks to a sphere Seymour had found? It was broadcasting a totally engrossing image and sound, that had manifested itself like a hologram.

And then when the party went inside Sin, they were able to literally traverse a landscape with water, structures, buildings, stairs, and then even it's own internal city, that then housed a crystalline landscape that finally led to Dream's End where Jecht was. That was all created from spirit energy. Every bit of that landscape and city within that monster...was born from spirit energy. Just like how Dream Zanarkand was made of Spirit Energy.

The whole attack animation and illusion/appearance created by Supernova, is just a manifestation/depiction that's being created by Sephiroth in terms of his magic/spirit energy. The damage it inflicts is real, but the whole animation/casting sequence is just illusion, like something being broadcast out of a sphere, or being conjured up by Spirit Energy. Just like how Jecht inside of Sin was able to create a replica of Zanarkand thanks to using the pyreflies within Sin's insides.

Also, this is what the FFVII Crisis Core Complete Guide says about Summon Monsters.

Summoned Beasts

Beings which are called forth from summon materia, many of which outwardly resemble monsters. As seen in the original game of FFVII, many of the summon beasts draw their targets into their own unique space in order to attack. However, Advent Children&#8217;s Bahamut Tremor, was a special summon beast who attacked while interacting with the real world.

Now do you see how they describe those animations? The creatures are drawing in their targets into their own unique space. It's like a spacial distortion caused by the spirit energy of the summon, that allows them to create this illusionary sequence of them attacking their opponent. Notice how when Knights of the Round's attack finishes, the space where the attack commenced, shattered like a shell putting the target back where they were. Remember in Crisis Core, when Genesis's Copy summoned Ifrit, there was a flash of light, and Zack found himself in a hellish environment with Ifrit staring him in the face? That's how summons, and attacks like Supernova and Satellite Beam work. They're just spiritual energy virtual images that have elaborate casting sequences, but they're all just images and/or spacial distortions. That's how you explain them.

My point was that the story wasn't making use of something from the gameplay so much as the gameplay was making use of something from the story. Granted, it's present in both, but I think you see my point.

Yeah, I see what you're saying.

But they're not completely consistent. Black Materia being a perfect example.

It's just on a different scale. It's doing the same thing. Meteor, is Meteor, regardless of if the planetoid is the size of the moon, being used to destroy a planet, or if the meteor is the size of a Chevy and is being used to crush a person. The Materia is the materia used to call forth the spell "Meteor" and there's no reason for it not to be able to serve the same purpose if the person required to cast it has the necessary spirit energy to do so.

I wasn't saying he isn't capable of pulling out the wing -- we know he can. He'd done it before.

Mmmhmm.

Of course it is. I never disagreed with that. All I said is that his EX Burst is the same as that barrage he unleashed in one scene from the story -- but that it's something we know he could do because of that scene.

Ahh, okay.

A good point about Sephiroth. Though, in his case, I don't think he wanted Chaos' side to win anyway.

What do you mean? I'm curious. I've always wondered what Sephiroth's intentions were in Dissidia. I just chalked it up to him being bored, and wanting to focus more on tormenting Cloud, and settling his personal score with him. Although in Shade Impulse, when you fight him with anyone else but Cloud, he states he'll use absorb the powers of Discord and transform himself into a god and rule over every soul within it. Kinda like how he did in FFVII. So what are your thoughts?

But you may well be making a point that could apply to the rest.

Fair enough.

Okay. Glad we're able to find some mutual ground here. XD

He's the only one whose transformation is directly associated with and dependent on a power-up that puts him in a class ridiculously far above the heroes, right?

Even the Emperor's King of Hell form wasn't shown to be so absurd. It may well have been, but we never saw him do the same sort of things.

Also, like we've discussed -- Exdeath could always turn into a tree, Sephiroth can sprout a wing if he feels like it, Ultimecia can junction herself to Griever if she feels like it, and Kuja should be able to Trance on his own by now. Not even really going to bother trying to explain Jecht, but he was never really a Warrior of Chaos to begin with.

Well in Kefka's case, because I see what you mean, I don't think his Light of Judgment/Warring Triad transformation is the same level as it was for FFVI. There plenty of hints to this. For one, if he truly was, the same God of Magic he was in FFVI, he wouldn't really BE in any other form, but that in the first place. He wouldn't need to temporarily tap into that form. He'd BE that form. Because that's his power. He'd always be at maximum strength. I think he may have that power and form, but only to a lesser degree. I

Kuja's new to the cycle according to Garland, and he had no recollection of any previous turns of it. In his first appearance in the story, Ultimecia was telling him the truth about it and Kuja was in disbelief.

I thought maybe Kuja could've at least been in the cycle at least one time, because wouldn't Jecht technically be the newest member of Chaos's team, since he was *just* warrior of Cosmos before, and had only just now been recruited? I thought Jecht was the newest, then after him, Kuja. I think Kuja is new, but not like..brand new, as is Jecht. I don't think the storyline specifically states that Kuja only was present for one cycle as a warrior of Chaos, as it does for Jecht.

And even if that's the case, we don't see every single event that happens in Dissidia. The characters had to do have been doing something when the camera was not focusing on them. Not that hard to fathom or accept that Kuja and Sephiroth may have crossed paths.

For the reason you said: They showcase the personalities of the characters. This is actually a pretty good example of what Laubholz was talking about earlier in that a non-canonical entry in a series could offer insight into a character's personality or be consistent with how they were presented previously.

Obviously Dissidia itself is canon, but some of these conversations are not.

The only ones I'd really consider as not canon are maybe the ones some of the ones between Shantotto and Gabranth, and that's because they don't play a part of the main story. But then again, you could make an argument that maybe the characters met Shantotto in the past. Or whoever died in your game and met Gabranth, had interacted with him.

Another set of convos that probably can't be within the continuity of the story, are the conversations the villains have with Chaos, because when in the story do the villains ever go to End of Madness and fight him? But again..you could make a case that perhaps it happened in the past. Maybe when Chaos first summoned them, the villains put up a fight and had to be beat into submission by Chaos.

I mean, yeah, some of the conversations couldn't have happened in the continuity of the main story, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have existed in some form otherwise.

That's the thing: The Emperor's death cry is only funny when written out, and in light of its difference from typical death cries known to us, the players.

Eh, I'd argue against that. It sounds fucking hilarious, out loud. I've never, ever heard anyone have such a ridiculous sound when defeated. It's silly written or heard.

Bellowed while someone is choking death out of their lungs, "Uboaaaar!" doesn't really sound humorous or peculiar. No more so than "Aaaargh!" at any rate. It just sounds like somebody dying. It sounds funny to us because we've never seen that anywhere else.

Eh, I dunno man. I think you're kinda looking into that cry a bit too much. I think its pretty funny sounding in Japanese, and english. It sounds the weirdest out of all the death cries of the villains. Kuja's is pretty comical too.

Every character's attacks are showcased, but not every character's attack. Follow me?

Some are, some are not.

But why are we cherry picking like this? If the game's storyline showcases and validates the existence of character specific attacks, then character specific attacks exist in the storyline. It doesn't offer any exception to this rule at all, so why are we assuming one exists?

If I say to a friend of mine who smokes cigarettes, "you can smoke your cigs in my car" then that means...they can smoke their cigs in my car. My friend has no reason to believe I have put in place a stipulation of what type of cigarettes he can smoke. He's free to smoke any kind he pleases.

Now if a character has an attack that radically goes against the internal logic and storyline of the game, then yes, we should look at it as an exception and parse it as it should be. Likewise, if my friend came into my car smoking a crack pipe, I'd boot his ass out of my car.

So why is there a limit on what attacks are to be accepted, and which aren't? How would we determine which ones count, and which ones don't?

I wasn't trying to at all. I was letting the game do it.

I don't think the game is trying to tell us "some attacks are more canon or part of the story" than others. It's just trying to tell us a story. In terms of analysis of what's relevant or not, there's no reason to doubt the attacks being present within the storyline of the game, even if we don't see them. Why doubt Cloud has Cross-Slash within the story, just because it wasn't shown in his DO? If Braver's there, then chances are, so is Cross-Slash.

Well, that, and then it wouldn't technically be a Limit Break if he could. XD

LOL, exactly.

Looking at it side by side, you're right. It is. But I will say, that Cecil never takes that pose and attacks, unless he's using Darkness, which is exclusive to his Ex Burst attack.

That's partly where I find disagreement then, I think -- and, yes, it's coming back to Kefka :P -- as I don't consider the Warring Triad power to be inherent to him.

Well okay. I see you're coming from, and I agree to an extent. I was only saying it was inherent to him because the power he drew from them, has only one owner now. Him. The Warring Triad are dead. In FFVI's plot, he inherited the role of "God of Magic" from them, because he was the single existence that held magic together in that world. So he stole that mantle from them, but nonetheless it was his.

But really, it doesn't quite matter in terms of our current discussion, does it?

It's Weaponmaster, yeah. But I'm saying in the story, it's presented as him going into Trance -- he uses it in those kinds of situations.

Ahh, okay. Yeah, it is.

Well, like I said early on in this discussion, I can accept that he can take on that form and be more powerful while doing so -- it is a Limit Break, after all -- but not that he's running around with the power to roast cities whenever he feels like it.

Okay, so can we agree that it's the same power as the Warring Triad as in FFVI..it's just that power at a lesser scale? He's taking on the same appearance and using the same abilities of that form which he gained from that power, but it's not the same level as it was before?

Compared to the Warring Triad, she was nothing. Kefka casually blew Espers away before he got that power.

It's likely that without magicite, the Returners wouldn't have had a chance against him -- Terra included.

Eh, I dunno...a Wind God Gau, and Cyan with the Master's Scroll, Ragnarok, Illumina, and Ultima, which he learned from a Hero's Shield, would definitely give them quite a lot of power. :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

The examples you provided reference gameplay, though. I also used Google to find the source for the translations -- ffchaoticcosmos on LiveJournal, right? -- and frequent reference is made to the gameplay and how the player will have to/should use the character. For example, with Warrior of Light:

"As orthodox as the original game. He easily handles both offense and defense, and is all-purpose type fighter. Conversely, since he doesn't specialize in anything, you have to be very aware of exactly how to use him in any given situation."

Even alternate costumes are mentioned.

Certainly the characters' personalities were incorporated into their fighting styles, as indicated by these translations, but the profiles themselves don't seem to shy away from combining story elements and gameplay-only elements -- even in a breaking of the 4th wall by referring to how the player should use the character -- into the same profile.

That's true, but the fact that they reference the character's transformations and abilities that were part of their original story, as being apart of Dissidia's story now, and not just talking about it in terms of gameplay, is pretty telling. And again, while the profile is just giving you a brief explanation as to how the Ex Mode works in gameplay, it's not a gameplay guide. It's giving an introduction to the whole story and characters. Why would they completely remove the gameplay element and explanation of the characters, when the characters will always be game characters? We're looking at what they include in terms of the story and references to their past story. They'll always reference or mention gameplay. That's a given. If the Ex Modes weren't to have any story significance or importance to the plot, then they wouldn't have been explained or examined in terms of their placement in their past stories.

Isn't that true of a lot of things in Dissidia?

Not in the actual plot. Not everything is an easter egg that only exists as a shout out to the past of the series. Like..Cloud's PSX cover pose existing on a calendar in his office in AC, or Aerith's face being used as the model for a Loveless billboard in Edge. No, not everything in Dissidia is an easter egg exclusively.

I'd equate Bartz's Ex Burst screen shatter taking the shape of chocobo tracks, and hearing the cry of a chocobo, as that type of Easter Egg. It's no different to what was thrown into AC.

Interesting observation. And I suppose it's hard to argue with "A wizard/Chaos did it" when so much else is plausibly explained within the story by the same concept.

Pretty much. That's my point.

True. That would be a good reason for Chaos not to allow her to have that power.

Mmhmm.

I also gave you Kuja! :monster: <--(first time I've used that)

If you're saying that even when he reaches Trance, he's still not as powerful as he was while in that form in FFVI, then we've got no disagreement. I can let it go at that.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm saying.

Earlier in the thread I was a bit too quick to just accept Kefka's Ex form and ability with the Light of Judgment at face value, and I didn't think it out quickly. But yes, I agree with you now, and that makes perfect sense. I think it's the same power, and the same form, but its not the same power as he was back in FFVI when he was using the light to carve out pieces of the earth and leave craters behind. I see your point. See? These discussions can help both of us see things different :monster:

My only beef was with him being able to tap into that supreme power at all. If he can't do so, and can only use Light of Judgment once in a good, long while -- even while in that form -- rather whenever he feels like it, then we're good.

Fair enough. I can accept "Chaos did it."

LOL so can I :monster:

Well, Deathbringer goes away in the original story -- and may have become the Mythgraven Blade. As for Boko, we'll he's obvious.

Does it? I still have mine I believe XD

I never got rid of it. I just put it in the Fat Chocobo and left it there. It's possible Cecil held onto his or stored it away.

It doesn't, but the story should always be the final word in my opinion.

Oh I agree, it should have the final word. But I just think in terms of analysis or whatever, one shouldn't be so quick to just rule out gameplay as being non-applicable. One thing I've noticed in my experience in reading the creator commentary and how they make the game...they don't think like that at all. They see their work as a total package that works together. The story is expressed and told through gameplay and while there may be inconsistencies, they can also go hand in hand and help convey the narrative.

I thought we were still talking about the opening. Though I still don't feel like he ever had it in the story of FFVIII either. XD

No, I concede that it wasn't there in the opening. But may I ask why you don't think Squall ever got the Lionheart in FFVIII?

That makes sense. As long as we're both saying what I think we are -- that Kefka can take on his angelic form, but doesn't actually have the ridiculus amount of power he had when he was previously in that form -- then I think there's no further disagreement at work on that particular matter.

Of course that's what it is. I was just being a pain in the ass. XD

LOL oh okay :monster:

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

MAY I CUT IN HERE

I agree with this. Even in the context of the original FFVI, people always went Terra's so powerful, she's an ESPER, when Kefka was making Espers his bitch not even midway into the game. I'm not denying Terra is powerful, yes, she's probably the most powerful protagonist in the series, but using the logic 'SHE'S AN ESPER' to explain it away...hmm.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
MAY I CUT IN HERE

I agree with this. Even in the context of the original FFVI, people always went Terra's so powerful, she's an ESPER, when Kefka was making Espers his bitch not even midway into the game. I'm not denying Terra is powerful, yes, she's probably the most powerful protagonist in the series, but using the logic 'SHE'S AN ESPER' to explain it away...hmm.

Yeah, but those Espers didn't have a Master Scroll, and Genji Glove relic equipped with the Ragnarok and Ultima Weapon in both hands, and a fully mastered spell roster including Ultima, Meteor, Quick, Meltdown, Flare, Full-Life, Curaga, Reraise, and Holy. :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
About Sephiroth, he said his memories were returning, from his talk about going on a journey to the Promised Land, I'd say his memories from FFVII had returned. I suppose what he said in Dissidia isn't that far from what he said in FF: ACC. Course no mention of it to Cloud, because messing with Cloud's head is still far more important to Sephiroth.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think it's pretty obvious that within the storyline, all the Returners and heroes got the best Relics, so they didn't even bother to use Espers. They just got the best equipment and relics, and fought days and days til they were stronger than anyone. Even Kefka. I mean, seriously. Look at Wind-God Gau. He'd step on Kefka in a heartbeat
CJ150.jpg

Hee hee...ain't I a stinker? :awesome:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think that's definitely part of the answer. But also unlike the other Espers, she's fighting for a heroic cause, and has also grown up as a Magitek knight with fighting experience and everything. Terra's no pushover, after all. :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Well to be fair, the other Espers were fighting for a heroic cause too, especially after your party met them during their stay in Thamasa. However you make a good point with the fighting experience, the other Espers were probably pussified spending a collective thousand generations picking flowers and shit behind the Gate.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
ALSO

I distinctly remember a line consistent in every translation of FF6 about something in the natural world that dampens the Espers powers compared to how it is behind the Gate (which is why they went buttfuck crazy and destroyed Vector). Such a dampening most certainly wasn't around during the War of the Magi, and maybe it exists as a result of it, but it remains that between that and the point about fighting experience, the Espers aren't as strong as they were during the War.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
ALSO

I distinctly remember a line consistent in every translation of FF6 about something in the natural world that dampens the Espers powers compared to how it is behind the Gate (which is why they went buttfuck crazy and destroyed Vector). Such a dampening most certainly wasn't around during the War of the Magi, and maybe it exists as a result of it, but it remains that between that and the point about fighting experience, the Espers aren't as strong as they were during the War.

Wasn't the comment that their powers were dampened in their own world and allowed to go out of control when they passed through the gate? So they're more ridiculus in the natural world than in their own. And Kefka still made them say his name.

Well technically, there's no one really alive in Dissidia's world save for the characters, and manikins wandering about :monster:

Makes extinction sound more even more certain. :monster: I don't think manikins can reproduce. XD

Mako Eyes said:
But see, I'm not saying Kefka's powers from the Warring Triad are of the same magnitude as they were in FFVI. When he's sending his Light of Destruction down on an enemy, it's not of the same intensity as it was back in FFVI where it was capable of splitting the earth. Just like Sephiroth's Black Materia isn't conjuring up a planetoid sized meteor to slam into the opponent. It's at a lower intensity. It's been toned down.

Alright. Cool.

Mako Eyes said:
It's the Black Magic spell Meteor of Final Fantasy. It's been given a plot role in FFVII's story, but it's still the same magic. In terms of power its higher than all else, but there's no reason to doubt it couldn't be scaled down to be used on a smaller scale if one's spirit energy is mighty enough to control it. Which is definitely the case with Sephiroth. And then you could also reason that Chaos is the one who fashioned it to work in this manner for his purpose of defeating Cosmos.

Mako Eyes said:
It's just on a different scale. It's doing the same thing. Meteor, is Meteor, regardless of if the planetoid is the size of the moon, being used to destroy a planet, or if the meteor is the size of a Chevy and is being used to crush a person. The Materia is the materia used to call forth the spell "Meteor" and there's no reason for it not to be able to serve the same purpose if the person required to cast it has the necessary spirit energy to do so.

I'm not saying that meteorites the size of a Mitsubishi Mirage couldn't be grabbed and thrown, but I am saying that if they were, that's a function already fulfilled by Comet.

Every time FFVII's spell called Meteor has been described, it's specifically been as the ELE it was presented as in the original FFVII -- and it's also been said to require a shit-ton of spiritual energy to cast:

Final Fantasy VII said:
Cloud: Can you guys use it?
Aerith: Nope, we can't use it right now. You need great spiritual power to use it.
Cloud: You mean lots of Spiritual energy?
Aerith: That's right. One person's power alone won't do it. Somewhere special. Where there's plenty of the Planet's energy...

Aerith seemed to imply that it couldn't be used at all without a great amount of spiritual energy. If that weren't the case, they could have at least used it for the small scale purpose shown in Dissidia, right?

Mako Eyes said:
I wouldn't say Onion Knight's Ex Burst isn't part of the story. He definitely can throw shurikens and cast Holy, and either do a Back Attack, or finish his spells with Meteor.

But..the whole input windows, taking a step forward, and basically mimicing a turn based battle from FFIII, is just gameplay/easter egg. He's not really fighting like that. It's the same way as when discussing an old school FF, the heroes aren't really taking turns beating each other, or having windows to input things. They're just fighting.

In terms of Onion Knight's Ex Burst, the gameplay takes a radical shift temporarily to turned base for nostalgia, and has you input Onion Knight's actions that way. But in terms of story, it's definitely not there. It's just Onion Knight throwing shurikens and fighting and all.

Alright. Just curious as to what you thought.

Mako Eyes said:
See, that criteria makes perfect sense in old school RPGs and all. But you gotta remember that Dissidia isn't just an RPG. It's also a 3D, to scale, fighting game. You're not really going to run into implausible, illogical conundrums such as turned based fighting, backgrounds that aren't to scale, Sabin suplexing a moving train, or Tifa Meteodriving Emerald WEAPON. The characters are in their set environment, fighting with their given moves.

And see, I think that if the storyline here in Dissidia validates the existence of character Bravery/HP fighting moves, such as Cloud using Braver, Emperor Mateus using Lightning Crest, Golbez using Cosmic Ray, etc...then that's a pretty strong authorial nod in favor of character attacks being considered part of the story. The story has not given us any reason to doubt their existence or to pick and choose which attacks exist, and which attacks do not. Logically speaking, unless there's an attack that just makes absolutely no logical/thematic sense, all attacks are to be taken. Why take Braver, but not Havoc Wing, when they both serve the same function, and are both attacks used by characters within this game? Impartially, and logically speaking, what would be the reason?

Fair enough. You make a convincing argument.

Mako Eyes said:
But isn't that a bit of a subjective criticism? Fans are so quick to state how implausible a hero is to beating a planet busting opponent with all the 1337 abilities, but sometimes people forget that these characters are also extremely powerful and superhuman too. These heroes are not normal. And while there may be a gulf in power, that gap is filled by the sheer determination, will, experience, and drive a hero has to endure and take down an opponent that is stronger than them. It may sound like a shonen manga/anime cliche, but that's how it is. A hero is gonna rise above their limits and take down someone above them if push comes to shove.

Also fair enough. For what's it worth, Dissidia pretty much is a shonen anime. XD

Mako Eyes said:
If Cloud can fucking fight Sephiroth balls out with a pierced chest and lung, several deep slashes, a hole in his foot and knee, and severe blood loss, then holy shit, give these heroes credit. Terra's an inhuman magical monster, for one. You don't think if you backed her to the wall, she'd come at you like her life depended on it? Kefka's not the only one who's scary.

Good point.

Mako Eyes said:
No, the attacks exist. Supernova is referenced several time as being a storyline existing limit break/attack of Sephiroth's. It's also referenced in the storyline exclusive Ultimanias.

May I ask where? The Crisis Core Complete Guide made mention of it, but only seemed to treat it as a gameplay mechanic. The Ultimania Omega mentions it in the Battle Memoirs section, but that's as much about gameplay as anything.

As well, it receives mention in the Battle Album section, but even there it's not treated in a manner that necessarily identifies it as related to the story. It's just describing the game's big attack animations (summons, Limit Breaks, etc.).

Mako Eyes said:
That's how summons, and attacks like Supernova and Satellite Beam work. They're just spiritual energy virtual images that have elaborate casting sequences, but they're all just images and/or spacial distortions. That's how you explain them.

It seems a lot easier in the case of Satellite Beam and Supernova to just conclude it didn't happen. XD

While your example from FFX could apply here, it's just more simple that Barret doesn't perform that specific attack than it is to think he manifests a satellite from spirit energy -- a pretty amazing feat.

Now, while Sephiroth would probably have the power and will to project a theatrical image to that effect, as far as I know, Supernova's never been treated as "real."

Mako Eyes said:
What do you mean? I'm curious. I've always wondered what Sephiroth's intentions were in Dissidia. I just chalked it up to him being bored, and wanting to focus more on tormenting Cloud, and settling his personal score with him.

I think Sephiroth wanted Cosmos' side to win so that things could go back to the way they were. He wasn't interested in serving Chaos or anyone else. He wanted to go home and take over.

After all, he had a plan back there -- Geostigma.

He led Cloud to his crystal for a reason, and not because it was part of the Emperor's plan. He did all of this with Cloud even before the Emperor and Ultimecia asked him to join them.

He also let Golbez carry on as he wished, even though he seemed to know he was a traitor.

Mako Eyes said:
Although in Shade Impulse, when you fight him with anyone else but Cloud, he states he'll use absorb the powers of Discord and transform himself into a god and rule over every soul within it. Kinda like how he did in FFVII. So what are your thoughts?

I don't think Sephiroth mentions absorbing the Discord, but I don't know what the hell he was talking about in SI in the absence of Cloud. Of course, that isn't the "canon" version of the scene anyway in all likelihood.

I do know this much, though: As Sephiroth departs in SI, what he says to Cloud ("I'll keep coming back-- as long as you are who you are") echoes how he was going to return, described in On the Way to a Smile: Case of the Lifestream Black.

So I really think Sephiroth wanted the heroes to win.

Mako Eyes said:
I thought maybe Kuja could've at least been in the cycle at least one time, because wouldn't Jecht technically be the newest member of Chaos's team, since he was *just* warrior of Cosmos before, and had only just now been recruited? I thought Jecht was the newest, then after him, Kuja. I think Kuja is new, but not like..brand new, as is Jecht. I don't think the storyline specifically states that Kuja only was present for one cycle as a warrior of Chaos, as it does for Jecht.

It isn't stated that he's brand new, no, but if he was in a previous cycle, he doesn't remember it.

Mako Eyes said:
And even if that's the case, we don't see every single event that happens in Dissidia. The characters had to do have been doing something when the camera was not focusing on them. Not that hard to fathom or accept that Kuja and Sephiroth may have crossed paths.

We can't assume that they did fight, though, until we see some hint of it. As you've mentioned, some of the lines involving Shantotto, Gabaranth and Chaos most likely could not be possible.

Mako Eyes said:
The only ones I'd really consider as not canon are maybe the ones some of the ones between Shantotto and Gabranth, and that's because they don't play a part of the main story. But then again, you could make an argument that maybe the characters met Shantotto in the past. Or whoever died in your game and met Gabranth, had interacted with him.

They wouldn't remember all that, though, right?

Mako Eyes said:
Another set of convos that probably can't be within the continuity of the story, are the conversations the villains have with Chaos, because when in the story do the villains ever go to End of Madness and fight him? But again..you could make a case that perhaps it happened in the past. Maybe when Chaos first summoned them, the villains put up a fight and had to be beat into submission by Chaos.

Garland wouldn't have, so that rules him out for certain.

Mako Eyes said:
Eh, I dunno man. I think you're kinda looking into that cry a bit too much. I think its pretty funny sounding in Japanese, and english. It sounds the weirdest out of all the death cries of the villains. Kuja's is pretty comical too.

When I say "to us" I mean everywhere -- Japanese players included. They thought it was laughable as well.

I just don't see it as particularly humorous when sounded out or in the absence of more traditional death cries -- which themselves are pretty silly. I can't see these warriors who don't play video games or watch anime beating an enemy and then thinking about how funny his death cry may have been.

Mako Eyes said:
But why are we cherry picking like this? If the game's storyline showcases and validates the existence of character specific attacks, then character specific attacks exist in the storyline. It doesn't offer any exception to this rule at all, so why are we assuming one exists?

I can accept that -- just maybe not with Black Materia.

Mako Eyes said:
Likewise, if my friend came into my car smoking a crack pipe, I'd boot his ass out of my car.

It was a good metaphor, but this line took it to the plateau of greatness. XD

Mako Eyes said:
Looking at it side by side, you're right. It is. But I will say, that Cecil never takes that pose and attacks, unless he's using Darkness, which is exclusive to his Ex Burst attack.

True enough. It's safe to say he could use Darkness anytime, though, right?

Mako Eyes said:
Well okay. I see you're coming from, and I agree to an extent. I was only saying it was inherent to him because the power he drew from them, has only one owner now. Him. The Warring Triad are dead. In FFVI's plot, he inherited the role of "God of Magic" from them, because he was the single existence that held magic together in that world. So he stole that mantle from them, but nonetheless it was his.

But really, it doesn't quite matter in terms of our current discussion, does it?

Not anymore, no.

Mako Eyes said:
Okay, so can we agree that it's the same power as the Warring Triad as in FFVI..it's just that power at a lesser scale? He's taking on the same appearance and using the same abilities of that form which he gained from that power, but it's not the same level as it was before?

We are in agreement.

Mako Eyes said:
Eh, I dunno...a Wind God Gau, and Cyan with the Master's Scroll, Ragnarok, Illumina, and Ultima, which he learned from a Hero's Shield, would definitely give them quite a lot of power. :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Cheeky mother fucker.

Mako Eyes said:
Earlier in the thread I was a bit too quick to just accept Kefka's Ex form and ability with the Light of Judgment at face value, and I didn't think it out quickly. But yes, I agree with you now, and that makes perfect sense. I think it's the same power, and the same form, but its not the same power as he was back in FFVI when he was using the light to carve out pieces of the earth and leave craters behind. I see your point. See? These discussions can help both of us see things different :monster:

:monster:

Mako Eyes said:
Does it? I still have mine I believe XD

I never got rid of it. I just put it in the Fat Chocobo and left it there. It's possible Cecil held onto his or stored it away.

XD Nice.

If I remember right, if you have it equipped at Mt. Ordeals, you lose it. At the very least, you can't use it anymore.

I no longer have mine, while I still have the Dark and Shadow swords, so I think it must have been lost at Mt. Ordeals.

Granted, it's possible I sold it somewhere along the way, but I don't think so. It's been a long while since I played the game.

Mako Eyes said:
Oh I agree, it should have the final word. But I just think in terms of analysis or whatever, one shouldn't be so quick to just rule out gameplay as being non-applicable. One thing I've noticed in my experience in reading the creator commentary and how they make the game...they don't think like that at all. They see their work as a total package that works together. The story is expressed and told through gameplay and while there may be inconsistencies, they can also go hand in hand and help convey the narrative.

Good points.

Mako Eyes said:
No, I concede that it wasn't there in the opening. But may I ask why you don't think Squall ever got the Lionheart in FFVIII?

Well, he isn't carrying it in Dissidia. Unlike the Buster Sword for Cloud or the Brotherhood for Tidus, the original Revolver gunblade has no sentimental value that we're aware of that would make Squall prefer it.

He's a very practical person, particularly in battle, so if he had a better weapon, I think he'd use it. Granted, the original is his more iconic weapon, so that could have played into the developers' choices.

Mako Eyes said:

Yep, we're good.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Cecil's equipped DK equipment is taken away from him during the battle at the top of Mt. Ordeals. If you remove his equipment immediately post Scarmilogne fight 2, you can keep the sword. It also comes back in the GBA version when you gain the ability to switch back to DK Cecil in the post game.
Similarly, Kain's equipment is 'lost' several times when he leaves your party and comes back with new ones, same with Rydia.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well I'm glad we were able to see eye-to-eye regarding the whole Ex Mode thing. XD Our discussion yielded results, which is cool ^^

I'm not saying that meteorites the size of a Mitsubishi Mirage couldn't be grabbed and thrown, but I am saying that if they were, that's a function already fulfilled by Comet.

Every time FFVII's spell called Meteor has been described, it's specifically been as the ELE it was presented as in the original FFVII -- and it's also been said to require a shit-ton of spiritual energy to cast:

Aerith seemed to imply that it couldn't be used at all without a great amount of spiritual energy. If that weren't the case, they could have at least used it for the small scale purpose shown in Dissidia, right?

But Sephiroth is able to use and control it thanks to his immense spiritual energy. So it's not really that improbable or hard to believe that he'd be able to fully utilize it in any manner he sees fit.

Or if that explanation doesn't work for you, again. Chaos perhaps altered it, when he bestowed it on Sephiroth. Whichever works.

Also fair enough. For what's it worth, Dissidia pretty much is a shonen anime. XD

Exactly.

May I ask where? The Crisis Core Complete Guide made mention of it, but only seemed to treat it as a gameplay mechanic. The Ultimania Omega mentions it in the Battle Memoirs section, but that's as much about gameplay as anything.

As well, it receives mention in the Battle Album section, but even there it's not treated in a manner that necessarily identifies it as related to the story. It's just describing the game's big attack animations (summons, Limit Breaks, etc.).

It's specifically mentioned in Sephiroth's 10th Anniversary Ultimania profile as his unique limit break too. And the CC Complete Guide's Keyword Collection doesn't treat it as anymore of a gameplay mechanic, as it does Omnislash. In CC's game proper, the Sephiroth fanclub states that its Sephiroth's unique limit break as well. It's referenced and spoken of several times as existing within the story, so its pretty hard to ignore.

It seems a lot easier in the case of Satellite Beam and Supernova to just conclude it didn't happen. XD

Eh, not in Supernova's case. And really, I wouldn't just discount Barret's one Limit Break because of its depiction. I don't see how it's hard to believe that it's just spirit energy illusion/bravado that goes along with the attack.

While your example from FFX could apply here, it's just more simple that Barret doesn't perform that specific attack than it is to think he manifests a satellite from spirit energy -- a pretty amazing feat.

We don't actually see a satellite. We only see gimmicky target cursor's surround the opponent, and then they get blasted by a beam of energy. It's not that hard to believe at all, that Barret is capable of firing a beam of spirit energy from his gun arm.

Now, while Sephiroth would probably have the power and will to project a theatrical image to that effect, as far as I know, Supernova's never been treated as "real."

It's been referenced two to three times in each Ultimania, and even mentioned by the Sephiroth fan club. That's pretty real.

I think Sephiroth wanted Cosmos' side to win so that things could go back to the way they were. He wasn't interested in serving Chaos or anyone else. He wanted to go home and take over.

After all, he had a plan back there -- Geostigma.

Ahhhh, interesting. Very interesting point.

He led Cloud to his crystal for a reason, and not because it was part of the Emperor's plan. He did all of this with Cloud even before the Emperor and Ultimecia asked him to join them.

I don't think he led crystal to Cloud per se, because if that were the case, Cloud's will and determination to find it and keep fighting wouldn't have manifested it. But yeah, I see what you mean. Sephiroth's intent to want to settle things with Cloud, and go back to Gaia, were essentially his goals and he was willing to fight Cloud for that reason.

He also let Golbez carry on as he wished, even though he seemed to know he was a traitor.

That's very true. But don't forget however in Shade Impulse, Sephiroth didn't have to fight Cloud at all, because they were on their way to end Chaos's live and do what you supposedly says he wanted. Why would he stand in Cloud's opposition a second time, when Cloud got the crystal as he wanted?

Sephiroth also wanted to fight Cloud too and settle things. But do agree that he also wanted Chaos to fall so that he would no longer be chained to him, and allowed to be his own villain, like he originally was :monster:

I don't think Sephiroth mentions absorbing the Discord, but I don't know what the hell he was talking about in SI in the absence of Cloud. Of course, that isn't the "canon" version of the scene anyway in all likelihood.

Sorry I got mixed up there. My bad. And yeah, I don't think that's the canon version, I think it does speak of Sephiroth's intentions, which mirror what he wants in AC. Which again, makes sense in how you said he wants Chaos to lose so that he can be free to rule and be the "chosen one" he believes himself to be, like in FFVII's world.

I do know this much, though: As Sephiroth departs in SI, what he says to Cloud ("I'll keep coming back-- as long as you are who you are") echoes how he was going to return, described in On the Way to a Smile: Case of the Lifestream Black.

So I really think Sephiroth wanted the heroes to win.

I think so too. But I do think he wanted to take down Cloud, because again...that's what he lives for. And he wouldn't have stood in Cloud's way if that weren't the case. The guy has a clear hard on for trying to kill him.

It isn't stated that he's brand new, no, but if he was in a previous cycle, he doesn't remember it.

We can't assume that they did fight, though, until we see some hint of it. As you've mentioned, some of the lines involving Shantotto, Gabaranth and Chaos most likely could not be possible.

Well they may not have fought, but they more than likely interacted on some level or spoke. They were in the Chaos Shrine together before, after all. Who knows what may have happened once Emperor Mateus was done blabbing on about his plan.

They wouldn't remember all that, though, right?

Well the heroes don't remember the previous turns in the cycle due to them losing, right? So probably not.

Garland wouldn't have, so that rules him out for certain.

I dunno, considering how much Garland loves a good fight, maybe he felt like trying to knock himself down when he first saw him. :awesome:

When I say "to us" I mean everywhere -- Japanese players included. They thought it was laughable as well.

I just don't see it as particularly humorous when sounded out or in the absence of more traditional death cries -- which themselves are pretty silly. I can't see these warriors who don't play video games or watch anime beating an enemy and then thinking about how funny his death cry may have been.

I dunno, Tidus has a pretty good sense of humor, as seen in FFX. And I don't think its hard to believe Firion and Tidus would have a humorous dialogue regarding their own adventures. I mean there are tons of ways it could've played out. :monster: He's not the most serious character among the heroes.

I can accept that -- just maybe not with Black Materia.

LOL so the Black Materia's the crack pipe? :monster:

How come? Again. Sephiroth has tons of spirit energy necessary to control it, and even when we see him use it, you can tell it takes intense concentration and focus, as Sephiroth's spirit energy within his own body surges and flares up to power the materia to work. And considering he's using it to perform a Meteor attack that's not on the same scope or power as the one that was seen in FFVII, he wouldn't need to use the spirit energy of the planet to cast it. His own well of power would be enough to pull out the magic and wisdom of Cetra to use it. Notice how depending on how much spirit energy you use to charge and cast the spell, the size and impact of the Meteor is effected. That clearly demonstrates that the casting and power of the Meteor can be altered depending on how much control and energy is put into the materia. If one's spirit energy is strong enough, and large enough to use it, they can make it its master.

And again, it could easily be analyzed that Chaos altered it for Sephiroth's use in combat, since it would require a god like Chaos to pull that single materia from the ethereal discord that is the world of FFVII (since it would be lost to the discord like all the other worlds in FF) and bestow it upon him again.

So that's two plausible explanations as to its use.

It was a good metaphor, but this line took it to the plateau of greatness. XD

LOL thanks :monster:

True enough. It's safe to say he could use Darkness anytime, though, right?

I'd say so, yes.

Cheeky mother fucker.

:awesome:

If I remember right, if you have it equipped at Mt. Ordeals, you lose it. At the very least, you can't use it anymore.

I no longer have mine, while I still have the Dark and Shadow swords, so I think it must have been lost at Mt. Ordeals.

Yeah, I took it off right before entering Mt. Ordeals, after defeating Scarmiglione a second time.

Well, he isn't carrying it in Dissidia. Unlike the Buster Sword for Cloud or the Brotherhood for Tidus, the original Revolver gunblade has no sentimental value that we're aware of that would make Squall prefer it.

That's because the Revolver transforms into the Lionheart. Which makes sense given how in FFVIII, the ultimate weapons of each character are nothing more than customizations and upgrades of their initial equipment. Which also is in line with every other depiction of Squall since FFVIII, which would be KH. Squall literally would transform the Revolver into the Lionheart.

I don't see why Squall would not customize his gunblade at all, especially when we see him with this weapon in almost every depiction of him. And he even collects the Weapon Monthly magazines that speak of how to customize his gunblade in the first place. You can find some in his dorm room, even.

We know that Tidus's Caldalbog was obtained in FFX since we see Yuna using it in FFX-2. So that's there as well for Tidus to use in Dissidia as well. And I don't see any reason at all Cloud wouldn't have the Ultima Weapon either as a sword so that he could have an other option in terms of power in battle. As we've seen in the Compilation, Cloud's definitely not above carrying and using different swords if the situation necessitates it.

So really, there's no reason to doubt either Ex Mode since precedent has been set, and it's not beyond the realm of possibility at all.

He's a very practical person, particularly in battle, so if he had a better weapon, I think he'd use it. Granted, the original is his more iconic weapon, so that could have played into the developers' choices.

Exactly, so that's why he'd have the ability to transform his Lionheart when necessary, and in FFVIII, that's why he collects Weapons Monthly. It's not just either/or...the gunblade can be transformed into it.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I wouldn't necessarily say that 'We know Yuna uses Cadalbog/Ultima weapon ergo Tidus got it' given the dresspheres seem to generate the weapons of the class in question, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the party got the ultimate equip in their prep to take down Sin once and for all.

So, We probably ought to split this tangent, but I'm not sure where exactly to split FROM.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I wouldn't necessarily say that 'We know Yuna uses Cadalbog/Ultima weapon ergo Tidus got it' given the dresspheres seem to generate the weapons of the class in question, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the party got the ultimate equip in their prep to take down Sin once and for all.

So, We probably ought to split this tangent, but I'm not sure where exactly to split FROM.

FFX-2 International Last Mission shows the storage depot that houses all the weapons and stuff the Gullwings use in terms of their weapons and stuff for their dress spheres. I've posted it before here.

EDIT: Here's an image of one of the storage rooms and stuff you can see, when you're in the "Bare" job class.

finalfantasyx2ilm_022004_10_640w.jpg

You can see several weapons, and some of the outfits, such as the Mascot one, and some other outfits there to the right. There was another I had but I'm not at home now and it's on my computer. But here you go.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Oh, I'm not saying they don't have 'em, I'm referring to stuff like LeBlanc's copypaste of Yuna's songstress form and the Machina maw.

I was basically saying 'I don't think that counts as evidence, but the conclusion is sound for other reasons.'

Top Bottom