So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not really character assassination, having a character go through the grief and repercussions over the fact their entire adolescence was spent in a test tube as a lab vegetable after witnessing their mother and village burned to ash which caused them to live out a fabricated reality that nearly destroyed the planet, and subsequently led to the deaths of two people that were very dear to him.

Nope, not that strange at all.

Sunstrider

Lesbian Aerith
AKA
Tess, Leaute
Not really character assassination, having a character go through the grief and repercussions over the fact their entire adolescence was spent in a test tube as a lab vegetable after witnessing their mother and village burned to ash which caused them to live out a fabricated reality that nearly destroyed the planet, and subsequently led to the deaths of two people that were very dear to him.

This. I actually never thought AC Cloud was all that OOC. Sure, a big reason they did it was probably because content!Cloud wouldn't appeal to people as much as tortured!Cloud might, but they did a pretty good job to me of justifying his angst at least. It makes sense to me for him to grieve and be depressed considering the reality of everything he's been through. Then there's the fact that he's gone and contracted some incurable disease after everything he's gone through...

Doesn't strike me as OOC either.

Hinata Hyuga

wallflower
AKA
Juniper, Rinali, Legretta
I agree. A lot of people complained about Cloud's characterization in Advent Children, but this is the type of person Cloud is. He doesn't get over things easy, and he's the type to be easily weighed down by stuff. And messed up stuff is still happening to him.

If he suddenly became this happy, confident hero guy after the game ended, it wouldn't fit.

Sunstrider

Lesbian Aerith
AKA
Tess, Leaute
Cloud continuing to be an emo tit post-AC/C would mean that whole movie accomplished absolutely nothing.

Agreed 100%. Was just saying that I don't think he was OOC in the movie and such. If he kept wangsting after the fact, it would be lame. I actually like content!Cloud best, but I think a good deal of fans prefer him as an emo, angst bucket.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Agreed 100%. Was just saying that I don't think he was OOC in the movie and such. If he kept wangsting after the fact, it would be lame. I actually like content!Cloud best, but I think a good deal of fans prefer him as an emo, angst bucket.

That's because the Compilation has portrayed very little of content!Cloud. Unless I missed a game somewhere. :monster:

This is why I hate the LT. What the fuck is wrong with Cloud being happy in Edge with Tifa? Why do some people claim to be huge Cloud fans and insist that he must wangst over Aerith the rest of his life?

...Seriously, wtf?

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
Just wondering: do any of the numerous Clerith essays or fans explain why Cloud didn't commit suicide post-FF7 to join his one true love in the Lifestream?

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Just wondering: do any of the numerous Clerith essays or fans explain why Cloud didn't commit suicide post-FF7 to join his one true love in the Lifestream?
You fool! :@ Do you not get it? FFVII is up to interpretation! This means that post-FFVII, Cloud is actually dead! He has committed suicide right after AC/C. We never saw it happen, but we know that's how it must have been. It can be interpreted that way! He killed himself to be with his one true love Zack Aerith!

The Cloud we see in DoC? Psh. That's a ghost.

And to answer your question... no. I don't think so. :monster: But they do want him to do that.

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
...Huh. I prefer Cloud/Aerith but definitely don't think he needs to die in order to be happy, and pft, AC says it--Aerith doesn't want Cloud dying. If he did it on purpose (which...he wouldn't), she'd be pissed off and probably kick him out of the Lifestream so fast he'd get whiplash back in his mortal body.

Sunstrider

Lesbian Aerith
AKA
Tess, Leaute

Actually, a lot of Clerith fans I've met don't wish he'd killed himself to be with her or think he'd be happier dead with her. Most of them, even the extreme ones, are drawn to the bond they shared when she was alive and believe that she'll always have a special place in his heart. Sure, they think he loved her and a lot of them think he'd never move on with anyone else, but I've always gotten the impression that they know Aerith would want Cloud to live and believe that he has a lot to live for and people who care about him.

Now, of course there are those that believe she meets and has sex with him in the flower fields, but I think you'd actually be surprised to find how many don't share that view point.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
If he did it on purpose (which...he wouldn't), she'd be pissed off and probably kick him out of the Lifestream so fast he'd get whiplash back in his mortal body.

That's pretty much the Cloud/Aerith I like. :monster: Dominatrix Aerith. :awesome:

Also, Zack would probably kill him again (and again) for committing suicide to get together with his girlfriend. That, and Cloud disregarded his personal title of Zack's legacy to do this. Double betrayal = ultimate Cloud suckage.

Actually, a lot of Clerith fans I've met don't wish he'd killed himself to be with her or think he'd be happier dead with her.

This is true. My friends would occasionally throw that suicide thing in, but only as a joke. I think they also see how stupid it would be for Cloud to kill himself just to be with Aerith.

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
I think they also see how stupid it would be for Cloud to kill himself just to be with Aerith.

Of course it is. :monster:

And I don't mean "people who prefer Clerith," I mean people who rabidly declare that Cloud loves no one but Aerith. And most of the things you guys've said are things we know post-AC, aren't they? I'm just wondering if anyone ever said "Oh, I'm sure Cloud committed suicide to be with Aerith in the Promised Land" before the movie came out? Just curious. :P

Oh, and I just saw this, Mei:

It won't be surprising for the line to be tied to Aerith, as he did want forgiveness and he was guilty and carp.

Cloud being carp gives a whole new meaning to Tifa being like his fish-person. :wacky: It also explains how he is Aerith's fish-person.

Last edited:

Sunstrider

Lesbian Aerith
AKA
Tess, Leaute
And I don't mean "people who prefer Clerith," I mean people who rabidly declare that Cloud loves no one but Aerith. And most of the things you guys've said are things we know post-AC, aren't they? I'm just wondering if anyone ever said "Oh, I'm sure Cloud committed suicide to be with Aerith in the Promised Land" before the movie came out? Just curious.

I've never heard anyone say that they were sure Cloud killed himself to be with her. I think some of the fandom was excited at the idea that he might die in the heat of battle in AC and get to meet Aerith, though.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I've never heard anyone say that they were sure Cloud killed himself to be with her. I think some of the fandom was excited at the idea that he might die in the heat of battle in AC and get to meet Aerith, though.

Really? I've seen a good handful say that it was obvious in AC that when Cloud gave up hope, he wanted to die. They think this because he goes off alone with the life threatening Geostigma. Despite all of the text saying Cloud left for every reason BUT Aerith, it takes ACC to make a true point. And, some people are always going to be stubborn and are never going to admit they are wrong.

So that's why some people still think the lens flare is still Aerith's ribbon.

Death Sin

Memento mori
AKA
Just DS is fine

That lens flare/ribbon thing is definitely one of the most incredible/unbelievable statements I've ever heard from that side of the LTD fandom. I suppose the mind is a very powerful tool, though...*sigh*

And even if you don't consider it canon, I think that Maiden who Travels the Planet giveus us a good insight about how Aerith would want Cloud to live on, so much in fact that she entrusts him to Tifa, during the Lifestream event. I think that says it all and, IMO, it makes sense, character wise.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

The 'Cloud must die' Club from Pre-AC, anyone?

Really? I've seen a good handful say that it was obvious in AC that when Cloud gave up hope, he wanted to die. They think this because he goes off alone with the life threatening Geostigma. Despite all of the text saying Cloud left for every reason BUT Aerith, it takes ACC to make a true point. And, some people are always going to be stubborn and are never going to admit they are wrong.

Yeah, the people who insisted Cloud wanted to die make no goddamn sense. If Cloud wanted to die, why did he fight back against the people who, for all he knew, wanted him dead? Why keep fighting after being shot in the back?

Because if it's Pink, it's Aerith. That's really the only way you can see what is obviously a lens flare- which some of these people seem to have never heard of- as anything else.

That lens flare/ribbon thing is definitely one of the most incredible/unbelievable statements I've ever heard from that side of the LTD fandom. I suppose the mind is a very powerful tool, though...*sigh*

And even if you don't consider it canon, I think that Maiden who Travels the Planet giveus us a good insight about how Aerith would want Cloud to live on, so much in fact that she entrusts him to Tifa, during the Lifestream event. I think that says it all and, IMO, it makes sense, character wise.

But that doesn't COUNT because way back in chapter 1 she said she loved Cloud MORE than Zack, so it's gotta me she won't give up to yadda yadda yadda.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Cloud dying, I'm too lazy to type a reply, I'll just quote myself.

I never got that Cloud actively *wanted* to die, if he were suicidal, well, wouldn't he have done it?

But wanting to die is just against Cloud's character, it doesn't suit him at all. His character is learning to live with his guilt and negative emotions and struggle on and overcome them. Wanting to die would invalidate that. I think he was accepting of the fact he was going to likely die, but that's it. Accepting something forced upon you, and actively wanting it, are not the same thing.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

I don't consider Maiden canon, but almost every Clerith does for the fact that most of them seem to think Maiden is Anti Cloti and Zerith, and pro Clerith. But I really don't see that all. I do think Aerith acted OOC to Zack, but aside from that it's more Cloti than anything in my eyes. I think it also shows Aerith's confusion, and how much she's matured... she realizes what she has to do as a Cetra.

Yeah, the people who insisted Cloud wanted to die make no goddamn sense.

Besides what you mentioned, Cloud dying would make him a complete jackass. Which he clearly is not (for the most part). He wants to help his family, not harm them. <=/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom