Something's wrong, and I'm gonna say it - FFXIII Spoilers abound

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I call bullshit on this one. One of my best friends is... very well versed in the technicalities of video games and is on her way into the industry. She's a WRPG fag and she just finished ME2 and fucking loved it, so I know she wouldn't kiss SE's ass. I asked her deliberately what she thought of this whole development, and she told me it wasn't lazy at all.

It sounded like laziness to me as well, until she told me that it was probably an honest to god near impossibility for SE. The way that SE renders cutscenes and even the battle sequences (how fast paced they are isn't easy to do) leaves very little room for them to render something that takes up as much space as towns. SE doesn't halfass towns, as nice as it would have been to have them it just wasn't something that was really worth the effort. Story wise, not having them works just fine (nobody interacts with L'Cie if they can help it) and from what I hear the game plays through smoothly without them.

It's sort of like when Nomura said that they didn't do much of Red XIII in AC because he was too hard to render; it wasn't so much laziness as it was not a good use of time. If he wasn't heavily plot relevant why is it logical for them to add him in a lot when he's absolutely time consuming for them to render? I don't remember anyone crying laziness there.

Star Ocean and the Tales series, despite being good games, do not have the graphical quality that FF games have. It's not simple "laziness"; development time a

The problem with this is overextending one resource and as a result, having to completely shut down another.

If you're making the graphics SO GOOD that you totally don't have the resources for something like towns, then guess what; maybe it's a good idea to sacrifice and scale it down. If SE hypothetically told us that 'Little known fact; we could have made FFVII look like FFX but we would have had to take out all of the towns', well, fuck yeah, I would say I'm very glad they didn't do that.

The whole 'We had to cut out a vital genre/gameplay element to keep our SUPER COOL GRAPHIX' doesn't cut it, and now that according to you its true, it's even more embarrassing to hear.

The awakward makeout scenes in ME2 were sort of odd to me because of the outdated looking in-game graphics.

ME2 wasn't exactly PUSHING THE LIMITS, but like you said, the gameplay and graphics are gorgeous. I wouldn't call it dated. The cutscenes with the Illusive Man alone are incredible (they're certainly getting their money's worth with Martin Sheen as the voice/likeness)

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Because them not being there completely eliminates a crucial aspect of interaction with the games world, culture, setting, and people. Unlike a game like Shadow of the Colossus where the entire point of the game is that you're UTTERLY ALONE, an RPG is based on immersion in that game's world and it's populace. 'Towns' are just a generic term, but in actual terms, it could be any habituated area.

Exploring the slums and interacting with mercenary scum (or even taking a job from them) on the lawless space station Omega in Mass Effect 2, the idyllic cities and talking to the Imperial populace (that you spent the entire game hating but never really seeing personally) in busy Archades in Final Fantasy XII, taking jobs and honing your craft with fellow (whatever you choose to be) in Vivec in Morrowind, dealing and talking with people, and the cultures the represent (which are 'towns').

Dealing with a world's people, where they live/work/etc, and the culture of the game's world is hugely important, and it even goes beyond genre (i.e., the sheer impressiveness of Liberty City and the people in it in GTAIV, which isn't an RPG), and if a game that's usually dependent on such a mechanic decides to omit it, it has to have a damn good reason and a damn good replacement.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
No, so I'm withholding judgment on how I perceive it to actually be until I play it. However, I have every right to have every opinion in the world on how it looks and how appealing the presentation of itself and what it has to offer is before I drop 50-60 hard bucks on it. You have to experience something to know for sure whether its good or bad, but I can certainly make an estimation.

Also, I was merely answering your question. Also, more than one phrase posts, please?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Thing is, you do wander through cities that are populated in FFXIII. :monster:

So something about the whole statement seems fishy.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Didn't know there was a minimum word count for a post :monster: But really, I didn't mean to sound bitchy or anything with the short responses, I just really didn't have much else to say in a response. I only recognized FF12 out of all the games you mentioned in your prior post, and maybe it's because of that that I have the opinion I do. I'm no gamer -- I can count the total franchises I've ever played in my life on one hand -- so I don't really understand why it's worth working oneself into a tizzy because Sqex dared to make a FF game that goes in a completely different direction than the norm. I haven't played it yet either myself, I admit, but for people to be complaining and upset about it before even touching it, to the point where they'll rant about it just on the principal of the thing... I'm sorry, I just don't think that's really right to do.

My original question on this page was "would towns have really added much to the game?" Only someone that played it would really have any footing to give their answer to it, and even then I'd only be able to find the real answer when I play it myself. Just because towns would have a niche in one game's setting and story does not mean it would have a place in every other game, even if the RPG label is slapped on it.

(Also, I am going to bed right now, so I won't be responding until tomorrow. ^^; )

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The battle team came up with the transforming summons. The art team was dead against them.

Lolworthy, :awesome:.

Lange said:
Mass Effect 2 isn't the first time Bioware has struck gold, Mass Effect 1 was also great, and there's games like Dragon Age, and further back, Knights of the Old Republic.

And further back, Neverwinter Nights. Although to be honest, at the time the FF games were more fun to play for me personally. The 'new generation' of Bioware games are less about figures, dice rolls and statistics, and more about the fun of playing the actual game. KotOR was the first that did that (as far as I'm concerned), with a more involved and personal story (such as characters having an actual story, instead of the anonymous self-created hero(es) of the NWN games). And the barrier lessened with the newer games, with Dragon Age being the 'hardcore RPG' like NWN was but being fun to play (although I've yet to finish it), and ME / ME2 being the RPGs that are more about the action and story than the twiddling with figures.

anyways.

vines said:
The awakward makeout scenes in ME2 were sort of odd to me because of the outdated looking in-game graphics.

This applies to such scenes in all video games and anything CG, actually. Also in actual movies, actually, but less so.

Also, donate to TLS so I can buy myself a new TV, consoles, and take a few months off of work to play on all the games I've missed so far (read: that weren't ported to PC (properly)).

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well, since you replied to me and all, I'll go and ahead and reply even though MOG said some of the points I would.

I call bullshit on this one. One of my best friends is... very well versed in the technicalities of video games and is on her way into the industry. She's a WRPG fag and she just finished ME2 and fucking loved it, so I know she wouldn't kiss SE's ass. I asked her deliberately what she thought of this whole development, and she told me it wasn't lazy at all.

It sounded like laziness to me as well, until she told me that it was probably an honest to god near impossibility for SE. The way that SE renders cutscenes and even the battle sequences (how fast paced they are isn't easy to do) leaves very little room for them to render something that takes up as much space as towns. SE doesn't halfass towns, as nice as it would have been to have them it just wasn't something that was really worth the effort. Story wise, not having them works just fine (nobody interacts with L'Cie if they can help it) and from what I hear the game plays through smoothly without them.

That then goes into the disproportionate amount of cutscenes that are rendered separately as CG, and not within the game engine of the game proper. The ratio between just CGI movies and actual game engine is laughably disproportionate.

There are 32.6 gigs worth of movies.

And only 6.8 gigs worth of actual gameplay.

Now there's a serious fucking problem when a 50 dollar PS3 disc is literally just 18% game, and 82% movie. Maybe if they didn't heavily load up the disc with just CGI filler, and actually spent that effort in the actual meat of the game, rather than the movies, there could be more room for the towns they said were such an impossibility.

Do you not see that FFXIII is more Blu-Ray movie than PS3 game?

I don't doubt that thanks to the disproportionate data ratio, it was an impossibility, but that's because of the intrinsic nature of how they designed the game in the first place. It's easier to just load up the game with a shit ton of pretty cutscenes, than actually working on the design and programming of the game. That's where the laziness comes in. Not trying to shoehorn gameplay data when the disc is literally filled 82% with CGI.

It's sort of like when Nomura said that they didn't do much of Red XIII in AC because he was too hard to render; it wasn't so much laziness as it was not a good use of time. If he wasn't heavily plot relevant why is it logical for them to add him in a lot when he's absolutely time consuming for them to render? I don't remember anyone crying laziness there.

He should've been heavily plot relevant in the first place. That's just an excuse. And yeah, a lot of people did cry laziness about that shit.

Star Ocean and the Tales series, despite being good games, do not have the graphical quality that FF games have. It's not simple "laziness"; development time and disc space are very, very important to the development of a game.

Who the hell cares about graphics? Is that what FF fans these days care about? FF didn't get where it was today over graphics. There are 6 main installments that are on Famitsu's list of 100 best games ever and they have the graphical quality of the 8 bit and 16 bit era. It ain't about the graphics, its about the gameplay and RPG nature. Dragonquest is the most successful RPG franchise in the history of the world and it doesn't give a shit about graphics, because they know its the gameplay that counts.

If all people care about are graphics, then games are nothing more than DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. That makes no sense.

I don't think "appears" is the right word. Both games are gorgeous, and I actually prefer the graphics of FFXIII simply because I like cutscenes. The awakward makeout scenes in ME2 were sort of odd to me because of the outdated looking in-game graphics.

If you mean "plays like a dated game" or that the gameplay LOOKS dated, then I suppose you would have a point.

That's what I did mean. I was referring to its gameplay. It offers the same shit that FFX-2 did on the PS2.

In defense of FFXIII, it has been years in the making. WRPGs are at the top of their game now, but back when FFXIII was first being developed they weren't nearly as popular as they are now (if I recall, I'm too lazy to double check my dates and remember). It's not like SE is the laziest fucking developer ever; FF games tend to branch out more than any other JRPG series.

That's not in FFXIII's defense, that's what makes it even more offending. How the hell could FFXIII take so long to develop and end up with such a paltry amount of actual data programmed into what takes the longest to develop? The gameplay data?

Most of the work they ended up taking years to develop ended up on the cutting room floor to make room for the CGI cutscenes. They originally WERE going to be towns in FFXIII. Do you realize how bullshit that was? The defense of the story not allowing for towns is a cop out because they originally INTENDED for towns to be in FFXIII with NPCs. But cut it.

And really, in terms of a lot of developers S-E is definitely one of the laziest now in terms of current gen console development. Handheld wise they're utilizing the hardware beautifully but they still have a lot to learn.

I'm overtired and I hope all of this makes sense. That being said, if Final Fantasy and Mass Effect had a baby it would be a fucking masterpiece.

LOL agreed :monster:

shenron118

Lurk mode: ON
That then goes into the disproportionate amount of cutscenes that are rendered separately as CG, and not within the game engine of the game proper. The ratio between just CGI movies and actual game engine is laughably disproportionate.

There are 32.6 gigs worth of movies.

And only 6.8 gigs worth of actual gameplay.

Now there's a serious fucking problem when a 50 dollar PS3 disc is literally just 18% game, and 82% movie. Maybe if they didn't heavily load up the disc with just CGI filler, and actually spent that effort in the actual meat of the game, rather than the movies, there could be more room for the towns they said were such an impossibility.

Do you not see that FFXIII is more Blu-Ray movie than PS3 game?

I don't doubt that thanks to the disproportionate data ratio, it was an impossibility, but that's because of the intrinsic nature of how they designed the game in the first place. It's easier to just load up the game with a shit ton of pretty cutscenes, than actually working on the design and programming of the game. That's where the laziness comes in. Not trying to shoehorn gameplay data when the disc is literally filled 82% with CGI.
This is why FF has one of the most broken fanbases. Some people want more movies, some want more gameplay, and some want something in the middle.

Quite frankly, I don't mind that FFXIII doesn't seem to care much for the gameplay, and I don't think I'll be missing the towns; I was never particularly partial to them in the first place. The thing is, this is my opinion. Just because this FF isn't catering to your tastes doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. :monster:

He should've been heavily plot relevant in the first place. That's just an excuse. And yeah, a lot of people did cry laziness about that shit.
Why is important that Red XIII wasn't plot relevant? I've always liked his character, but AC was Cloud-centric. Not even the easy-to-render characters like Cid, Barret, or Yuffie got much of a part.

Here's some more examples, anyway. Yazoo was the remnant who got the least amount of screen time because his hair was a pain to render. Tifa got a haircut for the same reason. Cait Sith, IRC, wasn't around very much because of his fur, and there is no way anyone can say he should have had a bigger part.

Who the hell cares about graphics?
*hesitantly raises hand*

Is that what FF fans these days care about? FF didn't get where it was today over graphics. There are 6 main installments that are on Famitsu's list of 100 best games ever and they have the graphical quality of the 8 bit and 16 bit era. It ain't about the graphics, its about the gameplay and RPG nature. Dragonquest is the most successful RPG franchise in the history of the world and it doesn't give a shit about graphics, because they know its the gameplay that counts.

If all people care about are graphics, then games are nothing more than DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. That makes no sense.
All right, I'll admit it. I like looking at pretty things. This is why I like art museums, why I like sightseeing in scenic areas, and why I like to look for lesbian fan art.

But you're right. Graphics don't make the game. Gameplay alone doesn't make a game either; it just makes it a game. I don't know about you, but I never play a game, especially RPGs, simply for the gameplay. I expect my games to have a plotline and an interesting story. Games like Jewel Quest or Zuma, which have little to no actual storyline, are fun for a while, but when I pick up an RPG, I want to be able to relate to the characters, to get upset when something bad happens to them, and to play the game because I want to see how the story ends.

I hold FF to a particularly high standard when it comes to the story because, of all the franchises I've played, it is among the best at fleshing out the plot and making me get emotionally attached to the characters.

Sure, gameplay is an important part to every video game; sure FF has its signature "RPG elements" like its battle system and chococos and lots of NPCs and all kinds of other things fans think of when they see the logo, but Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy more because of story than gameplay. I could throw together a game with a ripped-off ATB system, a job class system, and large birds that make sounds eerily similar to "wark," but none of that makes an FF what the fans know it to be.

Also, I do believe the man who is credited as FF's creator once said, "I don't have what it takes to make an action game. I think I'm better at telling a story." :awesome:

That's not in FFXIII's defense, that's what makes it even more offending. How the hell could FFXIII take so long to develop and end up with such a paltry amount of actual data programmed into what takes the longest to develop? The gameplay data?
Agreed.

Most of the work they ended up taking years to develop ended up on the cutting room floor to make room for the CGI cutscenes. They originally WERE going to be towns in FFXIII. Do you realize how bullshit that was? The defense of the story not allowing for towns is a cop out because they originally INTENDED for towns to be in FFXIII with NPCs. But cut it.
I know you're upset that there's no towns, but when you think about it, the reason, while it is kind of a cop out, is completely understandable. L'Cie are hated by everyone. They're feared by everyone, and everyone is convinced that the l'Cie will kill them. It's like leprosy in biblical times: lepers didn't get to just talk to anyone on the street. :monster:

And really, in terms of a lot of developers S-E is definitely one of the laziest now in terms of current gen console development. Handheld wise they're utilizing the hardware beautifully but they still have a lot to learn.
Agreed here, too. SE hasn't been so impressive when it comes next gen games.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
This is why FF has one of the most broken fanbases. Some people want more movies, some want more gameplay, and some want something in the middle.

Quite frankly, I don't mind that FFXIII doesn't seem to care much for the gameplay, and I don't think I'll be missing the towns; I was never particularly partial to them in the first place. The thing is, this is my opinion. Just because this FF isn't catering to your tastes doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. :monster:

It ain't about taste, its about content. How do you call an RPG, an RPG with no actual gameplay content? It's not about subjective, creative taste.

You don't create a fighting game that has no fighting, or a sports game with no actual input from the player regarding the teams on the field. Why do people not understand this? This isn't a subjective criticism, this is a tangible, valid, complaint about the physical design and effort that was put into this game. It is lacking in content. It is on the level of a PS2 era game. This has nothing to do with taste. If I were criticizing how much storyline exposition, or characterization was contained, then yes. It would be just a subjective opinion in how the game was made.

This is about S-E literally stripping the game and making it more of a damn movie than an actual RPG that took years to develop and is worth spending 60 dollars on.

Why is important that Red XIII wasn't plot relevant? I've always liked his character, but AC was Cloud-centric. Not even the easy-to-render characters like Cid, Barret, or Yuffie got much of a part.

FFVII was Cloud centric too but somehow it was able to balance a wide cast of characters and their relevance, not to mention let Red XIII talk. AC couldn't have done the same and given him more than one line of dialogue? You're seriously telling me that makes sense?

Here's some more examples, anyway. Yazoo was the remnant who got the least amount of screen time because his hair was a pain to render. Tifa got a haircut for the same reason. Cait Sith, IRC, wasn't around very much because of his fur, and there is no way anyone can say he should have had a bigger part.

Cait Sith at least spoke more than one line. As did Yazoo. And Yazoo is a movie exclusive character.

*hesitantly raises hand*

All right, I'll admit it. I like looking at pretty things. This is why I like art museums, why I like sightseeing in scenic areas, and why I like to look for lesbian fan art.

Good for you, no shame in that at all.

But you're right. Graphics don't make the game. Gameplay alone doesn't make a game either; it just makes it a game. I don't know about you, but I never play a game, especially RPGs, simply for the gameplay. I expect my games to have a plotline and an interesting story. Games like Jewel Quest or Zuma, which have little to no actual storyline, are fun for a while, but when I pick up an RPG, I want to be able to relate to the characters, to get upset when something bad happens to them, and to play the game because I want to see how the story ends.

Gameplay alone doesn't make the game, but I'll sure as shit tell you that it makes up more of the collective gaming whole than just its shiny graphics.

If you never played an RPG for its gameplay than you aren't part of the numerous RPG fans who've been playing RPGs since before RPGs started looking like CGI spoogefests and were playing them to actually have fun and get lost in the story and tangible interaction with the world. RPGs are about exploration, interaction, and PLAYING with the world you're getting lost in. It's not about just staring and looking at the characters doing cool shit while you just hit the occasional button.

Relating to the characters and the story is important, but RPGs were doing that while integrating said storyline with the gameplay because that's what RPGs were supposed to do. That's what set them apart from movies and books.

I hold FF to a particularly high standard when it comes to the story because, of all the franchises I've played, it is among the best at fleshing out the plot and making me get emotionally attached to the characters.

I want to ask you what your first FF was, out of curiosity.

Sure, gameplay is an important part to every video game; sure FF has its signature "RPG elements" like its battle system and chococos and lots of NPCs and all kinds of other things fans think of when they see the logo, but Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy more because of story than gameplay. I could throw together a game with a ripped-off ATB system, a job class system, and large birds that make sounds eerily similar to "wark," but none of that makes an FF what the fans know it to be.

You're dead wrong. FF has always been about the RPG elements, and gameplay long before it started telling compelling, and truly enriching stories. FF1 through 5 would like to have a word with you. The stories were important but they never, ever sacrificed gameplay for story until FFXIII came along. It was never about story than gameplay until now.

And what you just described was FFIII and V, congratulations.

Also, I do believe the man who is credited as FF's creator once said, "I don't have what it takes to make an action game. I think I'm better at telling a story." :awesome:

That's why he delgated the gameplay creation to people who were versed in gameplay designed and stuck to the scenario writing.

I know you're upset that there's no towns, but when you think about it, the reason, while it is kind of a cop out, is completely understandable. L'Cie are hated by everyone. They're feared by everyone, and everyone is convinced that the l'Cie will kill them. It's like leprosy in biblical times: lepers didn't get to just talk to anyone on the street. :monster:

A cop out being understandable doesn't make it acceptable. Again. The fact they originally had towns in the game and then cut them out, makes that justification moot and meaningless.

Agreed here, too. SE hasn't been so impressive when it comes next gen games.

Yeah, and they can't keep relying on handhelds forever. They NEED to get with it.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Out of curiosity, what were the ratios of gameplay related data and cutscene data in past FF games?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Out of curiosity, what were the ratios of gameplay related data and cutscene data in past FF games?

LMAO, I have no idea. But I know such a problem didn't exist for FF's 1 to 6.

In terms of the PSone era games, I don't think the ratio would even be important, considering that they spread out the game onto several discs to make room for the CGI cutscenes AND the game. Such a problem wouldn't even exist because they made room for both, even if they had to expand the game onto several discs.

Then there's FFX and FFXII. I have no clue.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think they exist, tbh, because such a disproportionate ratio of gameplay and movies never existed until FFXIII came along. Each game built upon the previous installment in terms of adding more gameplay, strategy, and exploration with the world. FFX might be the exception in how it did away with the world map. But then FFXII came along and set the bar pretty high.

I mean, I don't think anyone thought to count, until FFXIII because no one thought, "Holy shit, look at all this CGI...and so little gameplay!" :awesome:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
But past games have a rather high amount of CG cutscenes as well. What if FFXIII has the exact same ratio of CG scenes to game data as FFX? How can you compare FFXIII to the others by numbers if you don't have the numbers to compare them with?

I've gotten 70 hours out of it so far, with stuff still left to do (missions/collecting items/visiting all of Gran Pulse). That seems like a fair amount of gameplay for me, personally (with more to go if I want to).

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

*applaudes* Absolutely! I agree. I really could give a rats ass about graphics, FFIV and VI are still my favorite games, and they don't have jaw-droppingly good graphics at all. I say, instead of making FFXIII, they re-make FFVI for the 360, and leave the towns and side-quests in there, damnit! Those were some of the most enjoyable parts of the game. FF without towns or side-quests sounds empty. It would be like a big chunk of it is missing. <=/ I have always been interested in plot, story, and characters, but making it story only is a lame idea and like Mako said, it might as well just be a movie. I remember DoC was so full of cutscenes that you barely had to pick up the controller. It's a waste of time if you ask me, because when you buy a game your intent is to play it, not watch it. That's also the problem I had with Crisis Core, but at least you got to do missions and side-quests. You got to explore different areas and interact.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
But past games have a rather high amount of CG cutscenes as well. What if FFXIII has the exact same ratio of CG scenes to game data as FFX? How can you compare FFXIII to the others by numbers if you don't have the numbers to compare them with?

Well that would be a misleading comparison because the amount of data needed to create a compelling, interactive game within the frame and limitations of the older consoles is less than what you be needed for a PS3.

A rough, ROUGH example:

X previous FF had a ratio of 40 MBs of cutscenes, and 10 MBs of game. However, on X previous console, 10 MBs devoted to gameplay was A LOT for X console, and pushed the console to its limits.

You see what I'm saying?

FFXIII's gameplay doesn't nearly push the PS3 to its limits, nor offer anything new. Such a comparison would be irrelevant because the previous games of the past generation have differing, smaller data limits and capabilities than the current gen.

They not only failed to utilize all of the posibilities of gameplay with FFXIII, they left out much of what could've been good gamplay too.

I've gotten 70 hours out of it so far, with stuff still left to do (missions/collecting items/visiting all of Gran Pulse). That seems like a fair amount of gameplay for me, personally (with more to go if I want to).

Yeah, but you're a slow game player hito <3 :monster:

@Celes Chere

You understand me so well T_T

shenron118

Lurk mode: ON
It ain't about taste, its about content. How do you call an RPG, an RPG with no actual gameplay content? It's not about subjective, creative taste.

You don't create a fighting game that has no fighting, or a sports game with no actual input from the player regarding the teams on the field. Why do people not understand this? This isn't a subjective criticism, this is a tangible, valid, complaint about the physical design and effort that was put into this game. It is lacking in content. It is on the level of a PS2 era game. This has nothing to do with taste. If I were criticizing how much storyline exposition, or characterization was contained, then yes. It would be just a subjective opinion in how the game was made.

This is about S-E literally stripping the game and making it more of a damn movie than an actual RPG that took years to develop and is worth spending 60 dollars on.
But it does have gameplay elements; albeit fewer in comparison to other FF titles, but they're still there.

Could you even consider it a movie if all the cut-scenes shorter than last time and are split up between chunks of gameplay?

FFVII was Cloud centric too but somehow it was able to balance a wide cast of characters and their relevance, not to mention let Red XIII talk. AC couldn't have done the same and given him more than one line of dialogue? You're seriously telling me that makes sense?
Is dialouge really that important? It's not like he was only around long enough to say his line and get the hell out.

Cait Sith at least spoke more than one line. As did Yazoo. And Yazoo is a movie exclusive character.
Honestly, why is dialouge so important? Just because a character doesn't speak much, it doesn't mean that character is any less important than the chatterbox right next to him.

Good for you, no shame in that at all.
Why, thank ya. :awesome:

Gameplay alone doesn't make the game, but I'll sure as shit tell you that it makes up more of the collective gaming whole than just its shiny graphics.

If you never played an RPG for its gameplay than you aren't part of the numerous RPG fans who've been playing RPGs since before RPGs started looking like CGI spoogefests and were playing them to actually have fun and get lost in the story and tangible interaction with the world. RPGs are about exploration, interaction, and PLAYING with the world you're getting lost in. It's not about just staring and looking at the characters doing cool shit while you just hit the occasional button.

Relating to the characters and the story is important, but RPGs were doing that while integrating said storyline with the gameplay because that's what RPGs were supposed to do. That's what set them apart from movies and books.
And what, pray tell, has XIII really gotten rid of? Towns and open maps for the first 66% or so of the game? The battle system doesn't even make you simply press a button. It gives you a choice you don't even have to take. Exploration happens eventually, and, from what I hear, the final dungeon even gives you the option of leaving so you can run around Pulse.

And of course I play RPGs for gameplay, but I mostly play them for the story that I wouldn't really get out of an FPS or a puzzle game. Granted there are FPSes with amazing stories, but they're not particularly common.

And don't you dare mention Mass Effect. I haven't played 2, so I have no clue what that one's like, and the first was third-person.

I want to ask you what your first FF was, out of curiosity.
VII, and I'm willing to admit I'm too young to have been alive to play anything pre-VI.

Or VI, for that matter. Being an infant makes it difficult to play video games.

You're dead wrong. FF has always been about the RPG elements, and gameplay long before it started telling compelling, and truly enriching stories. FF1 through 5 would like to have a word with you. The stories were important but they never, ever sacrificed gameplay for story until FFXIII came along. It was never about story than gameplay until now.

And what you just described was FFIII and V, congratulations.
Yes, but FF has recently developed a reputation of have immersive stories. You're complaining because FF has consistently given games with good gameplay, just like it's been giving games with good stories more recently. My point was that RPG elements that are associated with FF aren't enough to make it a game the fans are expecting or want. If SE suddenly came out with another game like III or V, I might be acting the sames as you are now.

That's why he delgated the gameplay creation to people who were versed in gameplay designed and stuck to the scenario writing.
Meh, fair enough.

A cop out being understandable doesn't make it acceptable. Again. The fact they originally had towns in the game and then cut them out, makes that justification moot and meaningless.
Why doesn't an understandable cop out make it acceptable? They didn't include towns, so they have a plotline-relevant reason as to why.

Yeah, and they can't keep relying on handhelds forever. They NEED to get with it.
Just what WAS going through their heads when they decided to stop caring so much for the consoles?

Yusei said:
*applaudes* Absolutely! I agree. I really could give a rats ass about graphics, FFIV and VI are still my favorite games, and they don't have jaw-droppingly good graphics at all. I say, instead of making FFXIII, they re-make FFVI for the 360, and leave the towns and side-quests in there, damnit! Those were some of the most enjoyable parts of the game. FF without towns or side-quests sounds empty. It would be like a big chunk of it is missing. <=/ I have always been interested in plot, story, and characters, but making it story only is a lame idea and like Mako said, it might as well just be a movie. I remember DoC was so full of cutscenes that you barely had to pick up the controller. It's a waste of time if you ask me, because when you buy a game your intent is to play it, not watch it. That's also the problem I had with Crisis Core, but at least you got to do missions and side-quests. You got to explore different areas and interact.
From what I understand, there are side-quests in the form of missions (there might be more for all I know), and the cut-scenes are cut up, so they don't drag on forever.

Damn, do I feel like I'm playing devil's advocate. Stop bringing me down, guys; I want to still be excited for this when it finally comes out, instead of tired from all the damned debates. :(

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
But it does have gameplay elements; albeit fewer in comparison to other FF titles, but they're still there.

That's what makes it inferior. They didn't evolve and take the genre or franchise further, they went backwards. That's a sign of laziness.

Could you even consider it a movie if all the cut-scenes shorter than last time and are split up between chunks of gameplay?

It depends on the "chunks of gameplay." If the gameplay is repetitive, weak, and easy, then its basically worthless filler. FFXIII's gameplay can basically be compared to FFX-2's except in a prettier package.

Is dialouge really that important? It's not like he was only around long enough to say his line and get the hell out.

....Um, considering dialogue is the main avenue where we see a character interact, and converse with the characters in the movie. Hell yes, dialogue is important. All he did was fight in the Bahamut Shin fight and get slapped on the head by Cait Sith.

Honestly, why is dialouge so important? Just because a character doesn't speak much, it doesn't mean that character is any less important than the chatterbox right next to him.

...Are you serious? Again. A character not speaking at all in the film, basically makes them a fixture in the background. Dialogue is how a character interacts, converses, and interject themselves in the scene. I guess if dialogue isn't important.... Cloud could through the entire movie and not say a word and it'd be just as good. Or Tifa. Or Sephiroth. Or Cid.

You need dialogue. Especially in characters who've demonstrated speech before and were important, main characters to the story.

And what, pray tell, has XIII really gotten rid of? Towns and open maps for the first 66% or so of the game? The battle system doesn't even make you simply press a button. It gives you a choice you don't even have to take. Exploration happens eventually, and, from what I hear, the final dungeon even gives you the option of leaving so you can run around Pulse.

Towns, people, explorable environments, items, weapons, character customization, shops, optional bosses, optional dungeons and overall difficulty are pretty damn important elements that have been lost. The replay choice being optional doesn't make the game anymore difficult. The fact its a choice and not an inherent requirement to the difficulty and challenge of progression makes the game easier. And FFXIII's maps are already smaller than the previous PS2 installment of the franchise. That's a big problem.

And of course I play RPGs for gameplay, but I mostly play them for the story that I wouldn't really get out of an FPS or a puzzle game. Granted there are FPSes with amazing stories, but they're not particularly common.

There are lots of FPSs that have amazing stories, and even RPG elements. Furthermore, RPGs tell their stories through gameplay and player interaction. Ripping story from gameplay in an RPG is rather bizarre.

VII, and I'm willing to admit I'm too young to have been alive to play anything pre-VI.

Okay, that's cool. Have you played any of the other past FFs before?

Or VI, for that matter. Being an infant makes it difficult to play video games.

Well you could always play them now. :monster:

Yes, but FF has recently developed a reputation of have immersive stories. You're complaining because FF has consistently given games with good gameplay, just like it's been giving games with good stories more recently. My point was that RPG elements that are associated with FF aren't enough to make it a game the fans are expecting or want. If SE suddenly came out with another game like III or V, I might be acting the sames as you are now.

That reputation for immersive stories started with FF1, IV, and VI. And that was back in the late 80s. And FF's RPG elements aren't enough to make a full game today? I'd have you look at FFT:A2, FFIV DS, and FF Gaiden. They've done it plenty of times.

Why doesn't an understandable cop out make it acceptable? They didn't include towns, so they have a plotline-relevant reason as to why.

Because it still doesn't excuse it. The fact of the matter is, they cut corners. And writing the story to justify it, still doesn't justify or give adequate reason to them cutting corners and being lazy.

Just what WAS going through their heads when they decided to stop caring so much for the consoles?

I think its either fear, lazinesss, or both, personally.

From what I understand, there are side-quests in the form of missions (there might be more for all I know), and the cut-scenes are cut up, so they don't drag on forever.

A side-quest where you just kill shit, is not enough. That's basically a stripped down version of FFXII's Hunter/Clan HUnt Side Quest, except FFXIII's is not nearly as numerous, in depth, or amusing in terms of its interaction with people and understanding the world of the game. A side quest of just killing shit is pretty weak. How does a first era PS2 game (FFX) manage to have more side quests and exploration than a PS3 era game that took years to develop? Matsuno was able to squeeze so much content on a PS2 disc over around the same period, yet these guys spent the same amount of time, with a higher capability disc and technology, and gave us less? There's seriously something wrong.

Damn, do I feel like I'm playing devil's advocate. Stop bringing me down, guys; I want to still be excited for this when it finally comes out, instead of tired from all the damned debates. :(

Hey...if you read the initial post in this thread, I warned you. :awesome:

But the facts need to be said. An inferior product needs to be called out.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Well that would be a misleading comparison because the amount of data needed to create a compelling, interactive game within the frame and limitations of the older consoles is less than what you be needed for a PS3.

A rough, ROUGH example:

X previous FF had a ratio of 40 MBs of cutscenes, and 10 MBs of game. However, on X previous console, 10 MBs devoted to gameplay was A LOT for X console, and pushed the console to its limits.

You see what I'm saying?

FFXIII's gameplay doesn't nearly push the PS3 to its limits, nor offer anything new. Such a comparison would be irrelevant because the previous games of the past generation have differing, smaller data limits and capabilities than the current gen.

They not only failed to utilize all of the posibilities of gameplay with FFXIII, they left out much of what could've been good gamplay too.
But what worked on X console takes more space on a next generation console. Those 50MB of cutscenes, push up to a HD resolution, might take up three times as much space/30-odd GB. But if that ratio worked for past games, why would it be that different on a next gen console?

How does FFXIII compare to other next generation games in that respect? What's something like White Knight Chronicles' ratio of CGI scenes to gameplay data (though I haven't played that so don't know if it actually has that many CGI scenes.

Not that I actually know anything about this shit :monster:

Yeah, but you're a slow game player hito <3 :monster:
:(

Are there. You just can't go back to the ones you visit.

Are there (Hanged Edge, Palumpolum, Nautilus, Eden).

explorable environments
Gran Pulse.

Wut.

Where have you been getting information from? :monster:

character customization
Like a more advanced FFX?

There's like a dozen.

optional bosses
The missions.

optional dungeons
In Gran Pulse.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

Let's hope so... and let's hope they are better than the Crisis Core missions, which were basically doing the same thing over and over again. :awesome: Besides Minerva, that was hella crazy awesome! And, I'd like to hope they don't drag on forever, but SE has a tendancy to do that for the newer games. *stares at XII* (I actually didn't mind that XII's cutscenes were lengthy, because there was A TON of gameplay and stuff to do in that game. There was so much to explore, and so many side things to do. That is why that game was so amazing to me. Plus, the cutscenes were actually interesting. At least, they were to me.) Plus, if the game is said to be story-centric... I really doubt that the cutscenes will be short, or few. xD It'll be pretty to watch, at the very least...

Damn, do I feel like I'm playing devil's advocate. Stop bringing me down, guys; I want to still be excited for this when it finally comes out, instead of tired from all the damned debates.

Aww, don't let people with opposing opinions bring you down. Stay excited, hope for the best. That's the better way of looking at it. xD I just can't help but to have my doubts about it. That doesn't mean I'm not curious or excited, because in all fairness I am judging this game without actually playing it. It could turn out to be the best game ever released, who knows. =) I could end up really liking it. We shall see. And if you're tired of it, say:
"Well, I'm excited about it so STFU!"
XD

the final dungeon even gives you the option of leaving so you can run around Pulse.

Oh, GOODIE. :lol:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let's hope so... and let's hope they are better than the Crisis Core missions, which were basically doing the same thing over and over again. :awesome: Besides Minerva, that was hella crazy awesome! And, I'd like to hope they don't drag on forever, but SE has a tendancy to do that for the newer games. *stares at XII* (I actually didn't mind that XII's cutscenes were lengthy, because there was A TON of gameplay and stuff to do in that game. There was so much to explore, and so many side things to do. That is why that game was so amazing to me. Plus, the cutscenes were actually interesting. At least, they were to me.) Plus, if the game is said to be story-centric... I really doubt that the cutscenes will be short, or few. xD It'll be pretty to watch, at the very least...

In Crisis Core's defense, its a PSP game on one of the worst handheld storage mediums in the industry today. It's already crippled right off the bat.

The fact FFXIII has as much content, design and scope as a PSP game is rather sickening and depressing to me.

Agreed in regards to FFXII. The cutscenes were breathtaking but they didn't crowd out the gameplay.

Top Bottom