Something's wrong, and I'm gonna say it - FFXIII Spoilers abound

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I guess what Fang is trying to say is that first hand experience always wins over second hand experience. After all, that's why I bought the game. However, that's not to say that you aren't allowed to dislike the character.

In a game where the plot overtakes everything else, that's not really even an issue.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
In a game where the plot overtakes everything else, that's not really even an issue.

I...have to disagree! My impressions of the game upon playing it certainly are different before I played it. Even if you end up hating it, (and its not a perfect game), I do believe that first impressions, always, always hold more water than second hand ones.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I...have to disagree! My impressions of the game upon playing it certainly are different before I played it. Even if you end up hating it, (and its not a perfect game), I do believe that first impressions, always, always hold more water than second hand ones.

Well, I think this is complete bullshit.

I grew up playing FF games and having to watch my brothers play them instead of getting to do so myself the first time around. My impressions of the plot and characters did not change one bit once I played through them myself.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
My impressions of the plot and characters did not change one bit once I played through them myself.

I'm not saying that they have to. I'm just saying that first impressions are better informed than second ones. I'm not defending FFXIII necessarily, nor does this just apply to FF (it applies to everything)

That's really all I'm saying, and that's why I'm doing this. Like I said, I'm extremely skeptical about this game. Extremely. But I wanted to have a first hand impression in order to be as fair as I can.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Not everyone has (or wants) to blow 60, 40, 20, or even 10 bucks on something that you can easily gauge from just browsing on youtube, chief.

That's a nice little heuristic but sometimes you can tell what a book is about from its cover, or at least looking on the inside of the dust-jacket. :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Not everyone has (or wants) to blow 60, 40, 20, or even 10 bucks on something that you can easily gauge from just browsing on youtube, chief.

That's a nice little heuristic but sometimes you can tell what a book is about from its cover, or at least looking on the inside of the dust-jacket.

You're missing the point too. It's not that black and white. I'm not saying that you have to buy the game and spend 60 or so hours playing it to have any valid opinion on it. I'm just saying that a first impression is even more valid than a second one, even if you still end up hating the shit out of it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

I'd be playing the game right now if I could afford to, make no mistake.
That's a nice little heuristic but sometimes you can tell what a book is about from its cover, or at least looking on the inside of the dust-jacket. :monster:

Marathoning a 40 hour play through is a little more than "looking at the cover" chief.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'd be playing the game right now if I could afford to, make no mistake.

Hence the distinguishing between "has" and "want."

Marathoning a 40 hour play through is a little more than "looking at the cover" chief.

Well of course it is. I wasn't equating that to it. :huh:

I wasn't talking about MOG, I meant just by looking at the game being played or whatever.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're missing the point too. It's not that black and white. I'm not saying that you have to buy the game and spend 60 or so hours playing it to have any valid opinion on it. I'm just saying that a first impression is even more valid than a second one, even if you still end up hating the shit out of it.

Yeah, but really, you don't need a first impression to form a valid opinion of every single thing. Unless you intend to experience everything that you speak or offer your opinion about. :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Yeah, but really, you don't need a first impression to form a valid opinion of every single thing.

THAT'S WHAT I SAID :monster:

I'm just saying the first hand experience counts the most. I'm pretty damn sure prison rape sucks, but I'm sure someone who has actually been prison raped has a better impression of how much it sucks better than I do, even though it still sucks.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
THAT'S WHAT I SAID :monster:

I'm just saying the first hand experience counts the most. I'm pretty damn sure prison rape sucks, but I'm sure someone who has actually been prison raped has a better impression of how much it sucks better than I do, even though it still sucks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding then. :monster:

And yeah, great analogy! That certainly makes...sense.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

The fact that it sucks don't change though. Whether it's happened to you or not, you can reasonably tell it sucks from whatever information you have on hand.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Jesus christ, you're only on chapter 3?

LOL.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Jesus christ, you're only on chapter 3?

LOL.

Hey, I'm a busy man. I wish I had the time to powerplay through games for hours and hours, but I...don't. It's not so bad though, it keeps topics like this afloat to have a constantly of smaller updates instead of two or three.

Keep in mind that all of my impressions so far were early game stuff, comments on the graphics, first impressions on the characters, the beginning presentation, stuff like that. I have yet to form any real solid impression on the entirety of the game, but I want to keep an open mind, even though I'm skeptical.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You really need to be further in the game to comment on the characters bub.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'm waiting for that to change what I posted.

Yeah it's not happening.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Actually, I'm going to find somewhere to move a lot of these posts to further streamline the topic. Hold on a second.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Boy you just can't pull yourself away to go play can you?

That's the 3rd post I've gotten out of you.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I'm playing right now! The advantage of having a wireless controller and your computer in the same room as your system.

Top Bottom