Sonic the Hedgehog

Lex

Administrator
I'm watching Greg from Kinda Funny Games's pod/ review and he said something I resonated with:

"It felt like revisiting a place I hadn't seen in 20 years".

RedFFWolf

Donator
Successfully downloaded, but I've only gotten as far as the main menu on account of stuff I was doing and have to do now :lol:

One question before diving in tomorrow (or, hopefully, later today), should I play Mania Mode as Sonic & Tails, or just Sonic? (I'm ignoring Knuckles for now). That is, is there any benefit for using Tails alongside Sonic, or will he be ever so slightly in the way of a clear view of Sonic? Cheers!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Tails is still mainly inconsequential, but I have to say I feel like he has a bit more AI in this game. I've seen what seems to be him taking out an enemy or going after a dropped ring of his own volition, which is more than I ever used to see him do.

And, as I saw on the Easy Allies stream, having a second player control Tails is still easy mode, haha.

@Tenny, you gotta touch those charge/torpedo things and then move so Robotnik hits them (as he tracks your movement).
Also "hydrocortisone zone" looks like some excellent autocorrect :P "HydrocortiZone" would have been a clever level name :P

Lex

Administrator
I'm playing as Sonic and Tails for the nostalgia feels.

Currently on what I think is one of the last main zones,
Titanic Monarch zone? Name's weird. So's the level tbf XD

Pixel

The Pixie King
Im only watching Game Grumps playing this. I love when they love a game. I'll probably get the game when I have time to play it. Still haven't played much of FFXII

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Currently on what I think is one of the last main zones,
Titanic Monarch zone? Name's weird. So's the level tbf XD

lol, yeah I didn't really have any idea what was happening in Act 1. Act 2 was more cohesive, but I game over'd on the boss so that's where I called it for the night

Lex

Administrator
Completed the game, what a ride that was :monster:

Well, a Sonic game is never really complete until you've collected all the emeralds and I finished with three so I know what I'm doing this weekend :D

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Successfully downloaded, but I've only gotten as far as the main menu on account of stuff I was doing and have to do now :lol:

One question before diving in tomorrow (or, hopefully, later today), should I play Mania Mode as Sonic & Tails, or just Sonic? (I'm ignoring Knuckles for now). That is, is there any benefit for using Tails alongside Sonic, or will he be ever so slightly in the way of a clear view of Sonic? Cheers!

If you play as Sonic + Tails you can use Tails to fly Sonic around by pressing up+jump while jumping. :monster:

RedFFWolf

Donator
Tails is still mainly inconsequential, but I have to say I feel like he has a bit more AI in this game. I've seen what seems to be him taking out an enemy or going after a dropped ring of his own volition, which is more than I ever used to see him do.

If you play as Sonic + Tails you can use Tails to fly Sonic around by pressing up+jump while jumping. :monster:

I'm playing as Sonic and Tails for the nostalgia feels.

Many thanks! :)

I'm getting up at 4am tomorrow for work, but sure feck it I'm playing later tonight :D

Between Crash and Sonic, it's been a good summer for the oul' nostalgia!

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Im thinking of getting this for the pc. But iirc the PC controller I have is ancient....I'm not even sure it has analog sticks....is that gonna be a problem or does it just use the dpad?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
cool thanks!

oh and here is Dunkeys review which you guys have probably already seen but I always find his reviews very compelling XD

Lex

Administrator
I will harshly judge any human being that uses an analogue stick to play 2D Sonic :D

Fair warning Octo, the PC version was delayed for optimisation and isn't releasing until the end of the month.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
yeah thats a bit worrying, I mean its a fuckin 2d platformer....what could possibleye got wrong?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Just finished the Sonic+Tails run. Good game :D

Still missing 3 emeralds though.

I assume Heavy King is gonna be the true final boss considering he didn't appear as a boss at all...

Also, the music in
Lava Reef Act 2. That e-guitar <3

Like, I can't believe this is an official Sonic game that exists. I remember being excited for Sonic 4 when it came out and while by itself it's not a bad game it was just such a letdown and wasn't a successor to the classic Sonic games at all. It wasn't enough to just make it sidescrolling and slap Mega Drive midi drum samples on it.

This. This game is what a Sonic 4 should look and play like. This is it.

The only thing that prevents me from proclaiming Mania as the true Sonic 4 is that I think it should have all new stages instead of remixes. Make it happen for the next one, Sega.

Also, the credits for this game are longer than expected. The majority was business/PR/legal people. Kind of really stretching who's involved in actually making this game.
A receptionist was credited for crying out loud! I'm surprised they didn't credit their janitor too.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I will harshly judge any human being that uses an analogue stick to play 2D Sonic :D

I remember noticing about halfway through Sonic Generations that I had been switching between the d-pad and the sticks for the classic and modern stages. Weird how that was subconscious :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
@Tenny, you gotta touch those charge/torpedo things and then move so Robotnik hits them (as he tracks your movement).
Also "hydrocortisone zone" looks like some excellent autocorrect :P "HydrocortiZone" would have been a clever level name :P

Haha

Hahaha *sheepishly edits post*

And yeah I figured it was those black things. I just need to move faster. :P

Last edited:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Being sleep deprived for work sucks... but playing more Mania and unlocking various modes is worth it. I had fun with
debug
mode, and in trying to earn all the medals (you only really need silver, from what I've read... getting all gold just earns you a trophy, if you're on a system that has those that is) I vastly improved my skills on the blue spheres.

Also I'll just leave this here:

R7AEK18.jpg

Seriously hope we get a "Mania 2 will be a thing" announcement sooner than later.

Top Bottom