Sonic the Hedgehog

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
So if we don't get all gold is it possible to rectify that?

If what I've read is correct, if you were to get all silver, it would then repeat them until you get all gold, and then after that it's entirely random. On the other hand, if you have a few gold and mostly silver, you'll then only get the stages you don't have gold on until you get all gold.

Oh and if anyone is having trouble with the special stages, there's apparently a trick (that I highly suspect will be patched) where you can get the CE's in mere moments at only mach 1:

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
So if we don't get all gold is it possible to rectify that?

If you don't have silver, they cycle those stages until you do, then if you do have silver they cycle those stages until you have gold. After that I'm not sure, but the nice thing is that the blue sphere stages track across all your playthroughs.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
So the brief snippet of
Angel Island
from the intro is wonderful and I had hopes for more... so I tweeted to Tee Lopes. I got a reply! He linked me to an earlier piece he made on YouTube. It's great. Still though, I hope "Mania 2" includes
Angel Island
Zone in-full, as well... isn't what little we saw (and heard) of it in Mania beautiful?

Lex

Administrator
I feel like a loner but I give zero shits about Angel Island XD. Like, it's OK but it's definitely one of the ones I care the least about.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
While I dunno if I would say I give zero shits about it, I would be equally as excited about it as I would any other given level. (so, zero relative shits? :monster:)

I did like the intro, though Sonic and Tails should probably stop approaching the island from that direction. It only spells trouble.

Lex

Administrator
Got all the emeralds and would agree I found number 5 hard, but 6 took me more attempts I think. The super sonic
final boss is a fucking nightmare. It doesn't help that my game decided not to load the final hit scene the first time I beat it (went from 23 lives to 4 to get it and it fucking bugs out! Anger).

I also forgot that Knuckles feels like tar compared to Sonic and/or Tails. I'm concurrently playing through both, so I've done GHZ and Chemical plant with tails and Knuckles. I think I'm just going to have to do one at a time.

Lex

Administrator
Tets stop poasting in the neoGAF thread it's confusing my wee brain to see your avatar and name pop up on another board D:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
hey guise in sonic3 like what was your fave powerup? I know the correct answer :kermit: but I wanna get consensus....

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Got all emeralds and beat the final zone again.

Ending is still underwhelming unfortunately :P

That dimensional rift shit is just there to tie into fucking Sonic Forces, isn't it

edit: damn, it absolutely is xD

Last edited:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Ending is still underwhelming unfortunately :P

That's really my only gripe with the game so far.... well that and lack of zone transitions to help piece together how characters get from point A to point B.

Maybe it feels underwhelming because it's so
short and open ended
? I kinda expected a Sonic CD-esque ending. The
Little Plant is still mechanized, right? I don't think I saw any evidence that it was reverted to it's organic
state.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Oh kay so finally got this for the PC, just played it for the few hours, (lol @ the Chemical Plant Zone boss). God damn, when people say this is the best Sonic game in 15 years they are NOT kidding... but I have a bit of a problem with Flying Battery. Now I managed to beat it but:

At 15 seconds, whenever i enter a part like that, in the original Sonic and Knuckles if you held right you'd... well do what he does in the video. But when I hold right, Tails just falls. only reason I beat the level was cause Tails can fly and i was able to fly to where i needed to be.

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong...

and FFS can I PLEASE stop fucking up the blue sphere stages... I've been to like 20 and only beaten like 3 cause I'm being stupid :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
annnd I'm pissed off now, went into the boss of Press Garden Zone with 6 lives and lost them all and I really don't want to play through the entire zone again :closedmonster:

eDIT
gonna be the black sheep here. I don't know if I like this game. I like games where i can get past bosses without beating an entire level 20 times. I know that I'll receive hate and "But the bosses are the easiest bosses in the entire series and a retarded monkey could do them!" type replies but that's just how I feel.

EDIT: OOOH he doesn't throw bombs every single time he jumps... okay... okay that means i just had to wait... i get it.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Sonic Mania's theme is such ear candy that I had to write lyrics.

https://youtu.be/zA9zwpMj_8A?t=21
Sonic Mania Theme (Lyrics)

(0:26)
I know it's not an easy way to go
Gotta hop skip and run with the flow-o-oh
Step by step we're gonna show-o-oh
what we can do on this open road
~
See me run see me go
See me fly see me flow
where i'll stop I just don't know
Gotta see gotta reach
Cause I won't let go
gotta take the shot
Gonna keep it hot
There ain't nothing that can stop me here
I won't show fear
I won't back down
Cause slow's a word I don't know
(Repeat x2)
~

I know its gonna be a blast now
new and a little bit scary too
Still I know we'll make it through

One more time
Trust in me like I'll always be trusting in you
Breaking the speed limit, undefeated
Like we always do

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Dunno how many of you played Chaotix, but the Metal Sonic battle was based on his first battle in Chaotix. Even the BGM is a mashup of SCD and Chaotix:

There's so much packed into this, I bet there's loads we've missed. I was slightly hoping there'd be a Chaotix level...

Speaking of levels, through the steam version 2 scrapped levels were uncovered (no assets for them, just text I think)

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Just played about three hours of Sonic Mania with my buddy (I was Tails) just as much fun as Sonic 2. What an incredible achievement!!

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of levels, through the steam version 2 scrapped levels were uncovered (no assets for them, just text I think)

There's an entry for Sonic Mania on the site "The Cutting Room Floor" which is being updated (seemingly daily) by those on SonicRetro. Gives a nice rundown of what's been found.

Personally I was sad to find that
Hyper modes were possibly planned to be a thing, what with the HYPER text graphic and active Super Emeralds

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Go ahead and spoil this for me. Am I wasting my time collecting emeralds as Tails? :monster:

EDIT
Never mind just got em all :awesomonster:

Last edited:
Top Bottom