Sonic the Hedgehog

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I beat the original Sonic the Hedgehog and collected all the Emeralds in it for the first time to day :monster: Played it on the PS4 Mega Drive collection thing.

Older games have been a godsend with how little time I have to game at the moment, still getting that endorphin hit of finishing a game but it only takes me three 1 hour sessions to beat instead of like, 100 hours per game.

Sonic 1 is much more so-so than I remember it being as a kid, and is filled with absolute bullshit enemy and spike trap placement. Worth beating just to see what it was like but it's no Sonic 3 & Knuckles :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah Sonic 1 has some great levels, which accounted for the popularity and reason for it to continue. But a lot of hte levels also run completely counter to what it seems like the design philosophy of the game was supposed to be? :lol:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Yeah Sonic 1 has some great levels, which accounted for the popularity and reason for it to continue. But a lot of hte levels also run completely counter to what it seems like the design philosophy of the game was supposed to be? :lol:
A thousand times this! Think it was Starlight Zone, but there's a section in one of the later levels where it's clearly encouraging you to build up as much speed as possible and zip along the loops and whatnot, and then just randomly they stick two fucking worm things in the middle of it to fuck you up.

I get the style in the 90s was trial and error but sheesh :monster:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer

ForceStealer

Double Growth
A thousand times this! Think it was Starlight Zone, but there's a section in one of the later levels where it's clearly encouraging you to build up as much speed as possible and zip along the loops and whatnot, and then just randomly they stick two fucking worm things in the middle of it to fuck you up.

I get the style in the 90s was trial and error but sheesh :monster:

But dat music tho :pooh:

It's been my phone ringtone for years :lol:

Last edited:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Here we go, Brenda Ross found her old portfolio showing off her levels. We can see the Winter Zone for the first time ever:

There was also her an animated version of her famous Sand Shower mockup that showed the flowers animating, and one of Wood Zone showing the level with Rings and Spikes, it a part that we haven't seen. It even has more finished tiles and background.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Cooool. I love how the concept levels from Sonic 2 have names ranging from the double-take-inducing "Genocide City Zone" to the truly inspired "Wood Zone."

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
There's a possibility that a Generations remaster will be announced at State of Play:
There's speculation that it'll add Shadow as a playable character.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
To any other company, that game would have represented a DLC goldmine. Overcharging for individual levels from the series past, done up in a modern and retro act each. On the face of it it seems liek Sega should be congratulated for their restraint. For having confidence in the game they released and leaving it at that. The problem is we all know that's not why, just that they were too scatterbrained to think of it, and we missed out on the potential of some fantastic levels.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Video games were a lot better back when only some of us were playing them

Everybody and their grandma has played a video game these days, it's just got too spread out everywhere

I miss hiding in my nerd cave being a nerd with my nerdy video games, sue me 😒 Why's everything gotta be Star Wars nowadays, even releases of automated bird feeders have to be a "blockbuster"

Blurr dee blurr blur, Old man shakes fist at video game industry

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
One of the best modern Sonic games has just gotten better.

Un-fucking-real.

Top Bottom