Sony's Spider-Man: Now a Part of the MCU; And Now Not Again; And Now Is Again

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm kinda thinking that since Miles' catalyzing tragic "Uncle Ben" character is actually Peter Parker, the more comic-centric story route would still work. Backlash of the Civil War events could lead to a "Death of Spider-man" scenario since his enemies know who he is and where to find him, and they hunt him down. That works as the catalyst for Sony officially moving away from the Peter Parker story (which has already had 5 films in two continuities), and transition into Miles' story for the new Spidey films moving forward. Sure it means that you would get and lose ANOTHER new Peter Parker, but *shrugs* I think it'd be more than worth it.

Also, while I'm a little sad for Andrew Garfield, I'm simultaneously really glad that he & Emma Stone don't have a Spider-man film where they're not together in it.
Supposing they do go that route, even if Garfield wasn't brought back, they could conceivably write it in such a way that his Peter Parker isn't mutually exclusive to whatever story we end up with.

Safe to say they won't do another Parker origin story regardless.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
FB_IMG_1423556026687_zpsjqurokyb.jpg

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Supposing they do go that route, even if Garfield wasn't brought back, they could conceivably write it in such a way that his Peter Parker isn't mutually exclusive to whatever story we end up with.

Safe to say they won't do another Parker origin story regardless.

That's kinda what I'd expect. They don't want to overtly undo or reset it, but they don't have to directly acknowledge the events of ASM/ASM2 either. A loose continuation and conclusion to Parker's story would be best.

X :neo:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
What if they change up the origin a bit? Maybe Peter gets his powers in college instead of high school. What if Miles is the same age and gets his powers at the same time? It could be a movie about two best friends sharing an awesome secret.

They could call it Spider-Men. :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Tenny you beat X into posting big news, that rarely ever happens. :monster:

As for the news:

tumblr_mvws5fbrsT1rrtza4o5_500.gif

Well Sony maybe you aren't completely stupid.

Please don't get rid of Andrew though, he was great as Spidey despite your shitty scripts.

Also Spider-Man is like Batman and Superman. Most people know their origin story so it's really not necessary to go into that again except maybe for a few throwaway lines.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
What if they change up the origin a bit? Maybe Peter gets his powers in college instead of high school. What if Miles is the same age and gets his powers at the same time? It could be a movie about two best friends sharing an awesome secret.

They could call it Spider-Men. :monster:

Part of what makes Miles' origin so great is how it's a foil to Parker's origin. He's afraid of his powers and just wants to be normal. He avoids being a hero despite knowing he has powers, which is why Spider-man gets bested and that burden hits him hard. I'm not sure if that works quite as well if he's choosing not to help someone he knows personally, but it certainly doesn't if Spidey isn't already a well-established hero, because his defeat feels like a huge public loss that everyone knows about. Also, Ganke & Miles are two best friends sharing a secret, and he's away in dorms at a school, so they could be older.

As appealing as the idea of a team-up would be, it feels like it'd be like making Carol's film into "Captain Marvels." Letting these characters stand on their own is the best way to handle it that doesn't feel like hand-holding, imo.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wonder when we'll be hearing casting news. If he is to be in Civil War, they'd better find their new Spidey soon.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Yeah I'm tired of same old shit tech applied to spidey via uncle ben. Its time to start anew but I wonder how they'll bring in the new actor for spidey at civil war.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Part of what makes Miles' origin so great is how it's a foil to Parker's origin. He's afraid of his powers and just wants to be normal. He avoids being a hero despite knowing he has powers, which is why Spider-man gets bested and that burden hits him hard. I'm not sure if that works quite as well if he's choosing not to help someone he knows personally, but it certainly doesn't if Spidey isn't already a well-established hero, because his defeat feels like a huge public loss that everyone knows about. Also, Ganke & Miles are two best friends sharing a secret, and he's away in dorms at a school, so they could be older.

As appealing as the idea of a team-up would be, it feels like it'd be like making Carol's film into "Captain Marvels." Letting these characters stand on their own is the best way to handle it that doesn't feel like hand-holding, imo.

I get what you're saying, but I think it could work, even with some tweaks to fall more in line with everything. Peter is thrilled, Miles is not. Ganke could still be there.

But there sseems to be a lot of people crying out for Miles to be in the MCU and not bother with Peter at all. People want the representation of a more varied cast in the MCU. This would be a way to bring in Miles sooner and not anger the Peter fans.

I mean to be honest, outside of the comics the mainstream public doesn't really know who Miles is.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I get what you're saying, but I think it could work, even with some tweaks to fall more in line with everything. Peter is thrilled, Miles is not. Ganke could still be there.

But there seems to be a lot of people crying out for Miles to be in the MCU and not bother with Peter at all. People want the representation of a more varied cast in the MCU. This would be a way to bring in Miles sooner and not anger the Peter fans.

Peter still works works better as a distant foil to Miles, rather than growing up as friends. Miles' experience as Spider-man is completely different from Peter's, and his coming into being Spider-man is a rough journey that's finally acknowledged when he gets Parker's web-shooters holds such a significant meaning because he's a complete outsider.

He has to own up to the fact that there is no Spider-man because of him, and figure out how to do everything all on his own, and eventually directly introduce himself to Aunt May (& others) as a total stranger who feels solely responsible for Peter's death. Having a preexisting relationship with Peter dampens a lot of what makes his journey into being Spider-man feel as meaningful as it does.

The Peter fans have had 5 films already and he'd still be the Spider-man in Civil War & he'd be around initially in the Spider-man film if they spin it right out of the "Death of Spider-man" arc like I've been chatting about, and I think that that's fine for the Peter Parker fans to get on board, and get introduced to Miles to let him take up the mantle going forward.

I mean to be honest, outside of the comics the mainstream public doesn't really know who Miles is.

The same could've been said of Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Ironman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, every member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, or any number of Marvel characters before they were brought out into the spotlight that is the MCU, though. That's all the more reason to make Miles the Spider-man of the MCU and not Peter Parker.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wonder what they're gonna call the new series.

Spectacular?
Ultimate?
Sensational?
Spider-Man: Insert Generic Subtitle Here?
Man of Webs?
Webhead Begins?

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Kind of cool news. Really hoping they don't bother with an origin story again.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I wonder what they're gonna call the new series.

Spectacular?
Ultimate?
Sensational?
Spider-Man: Insert Generic Subtitle Here?
Man of Webs?
Webhead Begins?

Spider-Man: What Should've Happened a Long Time Ago

Back to High School...again :monster:

Watch him graduate by the time the second movie comes around...again!

Is like Peter is from the Pokemon universe and he's never allowed to grow up.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Back to High School...again :monster:

Watch him graduate by the time the second movie comes around...again!

More importantly, the article said this:

Moreover, they haven’t yet decided whether this new Spider-Man will be Peter Parker or another iteration of the superhero, like Miles Morales. Feige is no doubt involved in the casting as well, as he will be handling the introduction of the character in Captain America: Civil War (confirmed by Variety in this report as well).
Both sentences. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
According to this, neither Marvel or Sony are paying for the rights to either one of them; basically each of them forfeits box office revenue for the other one's movies.

Top Bottom