Sony's Spider-Man: Now a Part of the MCU; And Now Not Again; And Now Is Again

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Thats Hollywood for ya :monster:

Still looks entertaining and seems like it could be better then the last 3 flicks, if not atleast the third one.

Biggest thing I like about it is that it looks like spideys going to be pretty damn acrobatic in his fights, while in the Raimi movies, yeah he was zipping around, but not all that much.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I have long since boarded the Not Giving a Shit Express on this film. No amount of new trailers is going to change that.

Actually seeing it might. But I doubt it.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I've been somewhat excited about the film, but seeing the new trailer in front of The Avengers last night has me way stoked about it.

X :neo:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I find myself hoping this film is good against all reason.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I wish Spidey went back to Marvel Studios. T___T He would've been a noice add if he did revert and cameo'd for The Avengers.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I have long since boarded the Not Giving a Shit Express on this film. No amount of new trailers is going to change that.

Actually seeing it might. But I doubt it.

Right there with you. I'm still trying to feel sold on Andrew Garfield (I don't think you can find somebody who is going to be a better fit than Tobey Maguire), though I respect the humility he speaks with when talking about the role. I mean, the guy even said he cried when he first put on the suit because he loves Spider-Man so much and felt like a better actor should have been wearing it.

I'm still finding it extremely off-the-wall (haha, Spider-Man puns), though, to go back to the drawing board on Spidey after doing three successful films within the same continuity in the past decade -- and then they're going to make his perenially irrelevant parents be the big deal in his past instead of Aunt May and Uncle Ben?

I think origin stories are invariably the best angle to approach super heroes from in film, but, really, Peter's huge mistake with Uncle Ben and the "With great power ..." mantra is the core of the character. It's what defines him. I'm not getting any of that from the bits and pieces we've been shown, so unless it's there and they're just trying to market this in a way distinctly different from the Raimi films in the meantime, I feel like they're doing the equivalent of a Captain America film without Steve Rogers starting out as a scrawny kid.

In fact, the more we've seen, the less interested I have become.

It's hard to sell Pete as that dorky down-on-his-luck guy who deserves so much better when he's starting out with Gwen Stacy (played by Emma Stone for fuck's sake) as his girlfriend. I get that she's there to offer some sense of stability to Pete's tumultuous life, but he's always had to work for that peace. We may not feel for him as much or -- especially the nerdy down-on-their-luck guys and gals who deserve so much better -- identify with him so readily if he begins with such a good deal.

They've got a hell of a lot of work to do yet if they're going to sell me on this one. My biggest confidence in it stems from Emma Stone's presence. She's also the main reason I feel compelled to see it right now. I love her.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I thought Maguire was awful as Parker honestly.

His acting was awkward and at times indifferent. He didn't really have the same intelligence and quick wit that Spidey has.

Then there's the whole being one weird looking motherfucker thing.

I still fail to see what's so special about Emma Stone as well.

EDIT:

Also, to be fair, Spidey's parents werent really "irrelevant" and have played a big part in a few Spidey stories.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I think origin stories are invariably the best angle to approach super heroes from in film, but, really, Peter's huge mistake with Uncle Ben and the "With great power ..." mantra is the core of the character. It's what defines him.

Which is why we're gonna see him die in that movie...again.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I honestly feel like we're well past the point of needing origin stories for characters like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and the big three avengers in films.

It's just painfully unnecessary at this point, and really restricts the stories that can be told when you're not weighed down by telling their backstory again for the thousandth time.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'll grant you that Tobey was awkward at times, but I thought that fit. Pete was a pretty awkward kid. Won't disagree that they should have done more with his wittiness while wearing the mask, though. It's there sufficiently in the first film, I believe, but even then it wouldn't have hurt to have done more with it.

On the subject of Pete's parents, they don't really come to mind when you think "Spidey's origin," do they? I mean, beyond a biological sense. Yeah, there have been stories in the comics that used them, but you really would never need them.

As for Emma Stone, she's fucking adorable. And a great actor, in my opinion.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'll grant you that Tobey was awkward at times, but I thought that fit. Pete was a pretty awkward kid. Won't disagree that they should have done more with his wittiness while wearing the mask, though. It's there sufficiently in the first film, I believe, but even then it wouldn't have hurt to have done more with it.

At times? Try the entire film. Also, pete's awkwardness isn't supposed to come in at his delivery of lines for most of entire films. As far as his character goes, most of that is supposed to fade away once he becomes Spidey, his awkwardness and insecurity only really seems to come in when he deals with other superfolk.

On the subject of Pete's parents, they don't really come to mind when you think "Spidey's origin," do they? I mean, beyond a biological sense. Yeah, there have been stories in the comics that used them, but you really would never need them.

No they don't play in Spider-Man's origin, but they were far from irrelevant.

As for Emma Stone, she's fucking adorable. And a great actor, in my opinion.

Don't see it. She was good as the nerdy chick who becomes confident hot girl role, but beyond that she's never left much impression.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to tie the film to the Avengers some how. After all his parents did work with S.H.I.E.L.D.

That's partially one of the reasons they rebooted the Hulk franchise.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to tie the film to the Avengers some how. After all his parents did work with S.H.I.E.L.D.

That's partially one of the reasons they rebooted the Hulk franchise.

Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Spider-Man films.

It's why there was no cameo in Avengers.

I hope Disney is hard at work at securing the rights to Spidey and the X-Men.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I know, but deals can be made. They can easily work together in future projects.

From the way Sony and Fox handle things, I doubt it bro.

Keep hope alive and shit I guess.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Let's hope so.

I'm okay with the X-Men staying where they are right now as long as things stay at the quality of "First Class," but Spidey and the Fantastic Four should go home. I guess Daredevil too, though I'm one of the twelve people who loved that movie (hated Elektra's movie, though).

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Let's hope so.

I'm okay with the X-Men staying where they are right now as long as things stay at the quality of "First Class," but Spidey and the Fantastic Four should go home. I guess Daredevil too, though I'm one of the twelve people who loved that movie (hated Elektra's movie, though).

I agree about everything but First Class. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so great. Half of the movie is uninspired tripe and the other half is okay.

I also enjoyed Daredevil even though I hated the costume and black Kingpin.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
When I saw the trailers, it seemed to suggest Dr. Connors could be working on a Super-soldier project. Which is exactly what they added to the last Hulk film, other than the obvious secret ending.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Let's hope so.

If X-Men stay where they are we will never see a Onslaught movie cross over :(

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Is either Ghost Rider movie worth seeing? I enjoyed the character more often than not in the comics (despite some seriously questionable plotlines), but the movies just looked utterly ill-conceived, and so I steered clear.

Top Bottom