The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'm on the Lady of the Vortex quest with Cid and that white-haired dude whose name I can't be arsed remembering, and I couldn't get anyone to join the Duty. So then I chose to go back since I'd try at a later date. And now I can't go back to wherever it was (The Nail in Coerthas?), so can anyone help or guide me here?

Lex

Administrator
To get to Coerthas you have to go through the North Shroud. It's like northwest exit from the North Shroud or something.

Lex

Administrator
Someone please tell me where I can get Broken Angel (the Garuda boss battle theme). It's not even on the OST, its driving me mad. I've never had this much trouble getting a song before ;-;

EDIT: Never mind, it's on the "Before Meteor" soundtrack since it was released before ARR.

Last edited:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
The mechanics held up. I think they just demonstrated that they could retro the servers at any time, possibly April 1st. :awesome:

Lex

Administrator

It was perceived as a bad or "noob" class in FFXI and some players carried the prejudice over. It's also the most popular class overall so a lot of players who don't know what they're doing chose the class and are pretty bad in dungeons.

But I need to say, the class is incredibly complex compared to some ranged or other classes. The perfect rotation requires 27 moves to be executed in the right order. But in general you can't actually manage that because things will die or phase out to something else before you can get it all off. It only really works on massive things that don't move much like the primals (not garuda, jesus not garuda).

In addition, to combo certain moves you have to be either at the enemy's flank or directly behind them for the combo to trigger.

So I start off with bloodbath (cross class from MRD, restores HP and increases damage) and Blood for Blood (+10% to dmg) to get the damage up before getting to the enemy, then hit them in the side with heavy slash (+10% again) to trigger the heavy slash buff (it doesn't trigger unless you hit their side), then fracture and phlebotomise debuffs on the enemy. Then impulse drive from behind, then disembowel from the side, then chaos thrust (applies disembowel and chaos thrust debuffs). Then you can do your "regular" combo (true thrust - vorpal thrust - full thrust (positioning is irrelevant).

Disembowel and Chaos Thrust debuffs last for another rotation, so instead of having to move around the enemy to reapply these, I repeat the same process but do 2x true - vorpal - full thrust, then start over. So the rotation I use is:

Blood for Blood - Bloodbath - Heavy Thrust (side) - Fracture - Phlebotomise - [Impulse Drive (Behind) - Disembowel (Side) - Chaos Thrust] - [True Thrust - Vorpal Thrust - Full Thrust] - Heavy Thrust (Side) - Fracture - Phlebotomise - [Vorpal - Full - Heavy] x2 - repeat

The reason for this is that the disembowel and chaos thrust debuffs last twice as long as your Heavy Thrust buff and the fracture and Phlebotomise debuffs, which for the purpose of this discussion last for about 6 hits, so you have to reapply them after every 2 combos. This is probably the max damage output possible for drg's.

That's my basic rotation (for single enemies). But there are obviously a lot of attacks in the arsenal that don't conform to the regular attacks timing, such as the dragoon attacks or leg sweep. So to maximise damage output, shove these in when the other attacks are recharging. Don't use a physical attack like leg sweep between combos, because it sometimes (?) cancels the combo. Instead, between say disembowel and chaos thrust, use power surge, then between that combo and the vorpal-full thrust one, use jump or dragonfire dive or any of the dragoon jump moves.

Healing wise I have second wind there for emergencies (cross class from MRD) and Life Surge. Life Surge restores HP based on the power of the attack used directly after it's activated, so use it when you're using your most powerful attack with the highest buff potential (probably full thrust, but it can vary).

Tbh I don't use leg sweep ever. Spineshatter dive does the same thing with more power and has the same cooldown rate, so it's kind of useless.

For large groups of enemies (and this only happens in end-game dungeons where everyone is over-levelled and can pull 10 enemies at once) ring of thorns is useful. Doom spike doesn't always hit every enemy unless they're in a line, but it does more damage. The cost of doom spike drains your TP far too quickly I find.

In addition, Heavy Thrust - Ring of Thorns is actually a combo, so if you've got 4 or more enemies cutting about it's worthwhile to Heavy Thrust(Side) - Ring of Thorns repeatedly. Activating blood for blood helps with the damage. When you run out of TP use invigorate until you have about 200 left, then go back to the single enemy combo.

RinhaezaViera06_07_201419_51_28_zps332ea742.jpg~original

And that's how I play dragoon :monster:

That image was taken during me trying to beat garuda extreme. I kept getting dud groups in the duty finder who would quit after one fail or so, or just didn't know what they were doing. If you guys come back into the game, watch a video of it before you try it. It's completely different to Hard and Normal mode, and those two are very similar. I fist pumped in the air for a long time after I finally beat it. Titan extreme next (groan).

I'm enjoying playing marauder aswell, since now the dungeons give out like 4x more EXP and doing dungeons is a guaranteed level up no matter what level you are. I'm going to level him up. In addition, I'm levelling a magic class (white mage) on the side, but I'm thinking about switching to the one that becomes summoner (is it thaumaturge or arcanist? I can't remember) because I want to summon thingies. Garuda Egi I want you. Also carbuncle. And unicorns and stuff. Maybe I should just level them all XD. But I don't like the one with the book (Scholar?). Books are stupid weapons.

Also, patch 2.3 drops tomorrow, which includes chocobo raising. You'll be able to change the colour of your chocobo in a future update. To raise a chocobo you need a chocobo stable. You can only get those if your FC has a house. We still don't have one. I noticed there are houses for sale in Ul'Dah for 1 mil ish, but I still want a house in limsa lominsa. Also we can now have private rooms in the houses. WE NEED TO GET A HOUSE.

I'm also going to start recruiting again because we need some fresh blood and we need more active players. Come back people <3

Oh btw patch 2.4 is introducing the ninja class. NINJA. And odin will be available tomorrow. I want shiva. I can't wait for shiva. She's always been my favourite summon and I can't wait to see what the battle is like.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Dragoon's got a bad rap because it's not as good as monk (or complex), but black mage and bard are a faceroll and easy to do so it looks like they are worse players when they aren't. Dragoons also got a bad rap for not dodging things.

... which for some reason I see a lot. Like I said though, it's easy to dodge as the ranged classes so eh.

I actually left before Garuda extreme. I watched tons of videos on it but I was confident, especially because I was playing a PLD and it requires a lot of know how on where to stand. But I really wanted nightmare pony.

Part of the reason why I left was because a lot of the higher content seemed to be out of reach, and I didn't want to PUG it, I wanted to go with people I could try and fail with but no one was ever on. *shrugs* I kept running into groups that were such douchebags to each other, and if I go as a dps it takes forever to get in.

We still don't have one. I noticed there are houses for sale in Ul'Dah for 1 mil ish, but I still want a house in limsa lominsa.
I nearly broke my bank trying to give money for a house (two other people if iirc donated a lot of money) but after I realized how much it was I gave up. I know a lot of people like that too, I talked a lot about it in the dungeons. Only the really BIG fcs got a house and everyone else sort of shrugged it off.

Once I got to my higher levels on my armorer, it costs a lot of money just try to be able to meld the higher level stuff. Luckily I met some people who were willing to meld and make me stuff for free.

Garuda Egi I want you. Also carbuncle. And unicorns and stuff. Maybe I should just level them all XD. But I don't like the one with the book (Scholar?). Books are stupid weapons.
Scholar is healer, Summoner for caster. They get better, but they are all pet and dot management. And bad at burst damage. I had my summoner at 45 before I stopped. Scholar is a healer for damage mitigation.

Lex

Administrator
That's one of the main reasons I'm going on a recruitment mission. I don't know how many people will want to join our almost dead FC, but I'm not ready to give it up yet. I want to be able to form groups from the FC to run things like Extreme primals and coil. The DF is doing me alright just now, most of my gear is level 90, atma farming is soul destroying but the content from 2.1 and 2.2 has been surprisingly good.

Oh I got the trophy for killing 10,000 enemies today.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yet another thing I don't care for about MMO postgames along with the unbelievable grinding. The way postgame requires that every battle be absolutely flawless and everyone's a dick when you aren't. Even though you do the same damn things over and over and over and over, and sometimes you're gonna hit the wrong button. Or if it's something you legitimately didn't know and if anyone talks at all they just shout a bunch of meaningless acronyms at you. Like if you didn't know to do it in the first place you're gonna know the acronym for it.

While it is, of course, fun playing with you guys. I enjoyed FFXIV the most when I was able to play it like a normal RPG - which generally meant by myself. That one on one fight for the final Lancer class quest stuck out to me as being one of the most exciting.

Splintered

unsavory tart
That's one of the main reasons I'm going on a recruitment mission. I don't know how many people will want to join our almost dead FC, but I'm not ready to give it up yet. I want to be able to form groups from the FC to run things like Extreme primals and coil. The DF is doing me alright just now, most of my gear is level 90, atma farming is soul destroying but the content from 2.1 and 2.2 has been surprisingly good.

Oh I got the trophy for killing 10,000 enemies today.
how easy is it to get lvl 90? I worked my ass off to get good PLD gear but I found myself unable to challenge anything stronger than Ultima Hardmode, and even the dutyfinder groups with Ultima were a toss up, for every one victory I would lose a dozen times. That said, Titan HM is worse to pull a victory from. And party finder is just as bad as duty finder.

I think another reason I gave up is that once you leap one hurdle, another is thrown at you. I know this is what suppose to happen, but it's like right after I get my black mage relic +1, +2 drops and I'm like "shiiit I need to get that, that's another few weeks of grinding and looking for groups."

And now it's super easy to get relic and higher level gear so I'm crying in the corner like ;^;

The way postgame requires that every battle be absolutely flawless and everyone's a dick when you aren't.
Crystal Tower was so bad at this, I loathed getting into that dungeon. The thing is, if done right, it's my favorite place to grind. It's easy but it's relaxing in a way, and the mechanics are interesting so all the fights are a bit different.

But I refuse to go now because one person makes a mistake and people are calling each other assholes and being jerks. My first few times I went as a tank, and while it's easy to tank, there's a lot of mechanics you got to look out for, and if you mess up it's incredibly noticeable. I ended up feeling screwing up a few times and now I refuse to tank the place. I even would rather heal it, and I seriously suck at healing.

It's also the most popular class overall so a lot of players who don't know what they're doing chose the class and are pretty bad in dungeons.
Higher levels, I think bard is the most common, then black mage. I've df plently of times and gotten two bards, sometimes two black mages, but only once two dragoons and two monks.

I've run plenty of times in crystal tower when all three teams of eight had NO melee. It's supposedly worse for Garuda EX which because of certain mechanics makes it impossible for melee to hit both sisters because of the tornadoes.

Oh btw patch 2.4 is introducing the ninja class. NINJA. And odin will be available tomorrow. I want shiva. I can't wait for shiva. She's always been my favourite summon and I can't wait to see what the battle is like.
Isn't Odin a fate?

Lex

Administrator
^I meant Ramuh :P. I always confuse those two for some raisin.

Forciepants said:
Yet another thing I don't care for about MMO postgames along with the unbelievable grinding. The way postgame requires that every battle be absolutely flawless and everyone's a dick when you aren't. Even though you do the same damn things over and over and over and over, and sometimes you're gonna hit the wrong button. Or if it's something you legitimately didn't know and if anyone talks at all they just shout a bunch of meaningless acronyms at you. Like if you didn't know to do it in the first place you're gonna know the acronym for it.

This is why I now have gear that's overlevelled for all the primals and stuff that I should have already done.

I've had two bad experiences so far while playing this game. One was when I first did the "final" dungeon (Praetorium) and obviously wanted to watch the cutscenes, then when it actually loaded I was so far behind in the dungeon because everyone gets it in the Duty Roulette: Main Scenario for their tomestones so it's a total speedrun for them. People kept saying in the chat (DRG y u so far back) and I said I was new. No one minded that I was new to the place, but they told me not to watch the cutscenes. I got all uppity and radge and left the duty and made my own party in the party finder for it with a group that were all new or didn't mind watching the scenes.

But that wasn't actually other players' fault (although I didn't realise it at the time), it's SE's for putting it in the duty roulette. It's the same deal with castrum meridianum. On the upside, new players have experienced players to play with and less load time. But it's really learn fast or die trying. As a damage dealer you can kind of just follow the crowd. As a DRG to succeed all you need to do is stick to the tank and don't get hit. But yesterday in my duty roullette I got praetorium and me and another BRD were the only people in the whole group who knew the dungeon, which is a rarity. There were two tanks who didn't know what they were doing. That was interesting when it came to ultima and stuff. One of them was simply just a bad tank, the other was really good and adaptable and followed our advice.

The other bad experience was in Brayflox (Hard). I got kicked from a match within the first 3 minutes because I hadn't activated my heavy slash buff. The chat just said "the DRG does not have heavy slash" then "phone" then I was booted. I was really pissed off, but that's one bad experience like that compared to loads of OK dungeon runs and some really excellent ones.

Splintypants said:
how easy is it to get lvl 90? I worked my ass off to get good PLD gear but I found myself unable to challenge anything stronger than Ultima Hardmode, and even the dutyfinder groups with Ultima were a toss up, for every one victory I would lose a dozen times. That said, Titan HM is worse to pull a victory from. And party finder is just as bad as duty finder.

Level 70 gear is dropped in Halatali (Hard), Brayflox's Longstop (Hard) and The Lost City of Amdapor (Diabolos is the boss of this dungeon and the fight is awesome). I'll be honest, I hate Halatali (Hard). Brayflox's Longstop is the one everyone runs because you can do it in 11 minutes with a good team and you get about 50 tomestones of mythology each time. Level 90 gear is bought with tomestones of mythology (about 800 for the body gear and 500 for everything else- which sounds like a lot but it's not really. The duty roulettes give you 100ish per go and you get them from doing primals aswell). Tomestones of philosophy were discontinued, I don't know if they were there when you were playing.

Tomestones of soldiery are markedly rarer and you're limited to 450 of those per week. They allow you to buy level 100 gear which can be upgraded to 110 using oil of time that you can get from Coil. In 2.3 you can get it from somewhere else apparently. Which is good because I'm terrified of coil. I haven't even done crystal tower yet, though I really should now that my average iLvl is 80. The counter actually resets today for soldiery tomestones so I think I'm going to build them up and then save for my Lv100 gear.

I've run plenty of times in crystal tower when all three teams of eight had NO melee. It's supposedly worse for Garuda EX which because of certain mechanics makes it impossible for melee to hit both sisters because of the tornadoes.

Can confirm. Garuda Ex is alright as melee until you get to that bit. You need to drag suparna off to one side (Off-Tank's job), which is fine. Then the tornadoes start, and chirada and garuda herself are off on the extreme other side of the field. The problem isn't hitting the enemies, it's getting to chirada when the tornadoes are there. There's a very unforgiving time period where you can diagonally cross between tornadoes. A solution as a DRG is to use spineshatter or dragonfire dive, which takes you to the enemy. But the off-tank is supposed to drag chirada away from garuda after suparna is defeated.

Honestly, with a group who know's what they're doing/ isn't going to ragequit, the fight would be a lot of fun. I know my last group enjoyed it. We failed 4 times and lost someone, had to wait for another. We had 10 minutes left and said "last try" because of the time, then actually managed to kill her. Best. Feeling. Ever.

I still need to do Leviathan and stuff aswell. I'm quite behind on my main story. The original game ended with Ultima Weapon but the patches have greatly extended the main story, so Force I'd encourage you to play it again if the stuff you do by yourself is really what you're interested in.

I want a group of people in our FC who we can form parties with to do these things, because you know they're not going to be children who rage-quit after one defeat. That's something that happened in every single Garuda EX match I did.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Patch downloaded

Did anyone have a really fancy message pop up as soon as they logged in? My stupid trigger finger hit the circle button and I didn't get a chance to read it, and it won't show up in the chat.

I tried logging back in again and nothing. :\ If anyone wants to screen cap it I would appreciate it. :)

I do see a fancy barber-striped pole in the inn room called a crystal bell...interesting.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Downloading the patch now while I catch up on TV.

I apologise for my lack of activity lately, since I've been playing Murdered: Soul Suspect since I pretty much got it. I suspect I'm close to the end (and another platinum, woo!), so shan't be long until I'm back on doing my part for the FC! :)

Lex

Administrator
Patch downloaded

Did anyone have a really fancy message pop up as soon as they logged in? My stupid trigger finger hit the circle button and I didn't get a chance to read it, and it won't show up in the chat.

I tried logging back in again and nothing. :\ If anyone wants to screen cap it I would appreciate it. :)

I do see a fancy barber-striped pole in the inn room called a crystal bell...interesting.

I didn't see anything. Yeah did you also notice the toybox? I want minigames!

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
No I did not, but I'll look again today. We really need an honest to goodness Gold Saucer.

Prizes, competitions, etc. We also don't have any hub worlds in the sky yet. :monster:

So I'm working on the main quest again, because crafting is starting to push me into needing chest gear for recipes. Which is okay because I feel horribly behind everybody else. I'm still on Titan quests. My gear is fantastic though--I stuck skill speed materia on everything. It's pretty much like haste.

Lex

Administrator
I'll be on shortly if you want to party up for some of the main story quests. You should complete the main story quests before you go back to anything else though, if only for the experience :monster:

I'm about to fight Leviathan. I tried Titan extreme last night but got landed with yet another bad group.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think a lingering bad taste in my mouth for randomly assigned groups during university is a big part of why I don't have enough of an interest in trying this out.

Lex

Administrator
^Hahaha, that's fair enough. There is a big difference between getting papped with idiots who do no work on assignment in uni and working with 3 or 7 other FF fans to fell a boss though :monster:

Idk it's quite fun. I don't dread doing it, I feel neutral about it until I know what the group is like. The only ones I hate doing are the extreme primals because very often one person doesn't know what they're doing so someone ragequits, and I don't understand the ragequitting because you have to queue for like 40 minutes to get into it.

i - need - a - team

Lex

Administrator
The soundtrack of this game is far too underrated. I should be seeing you all posting incoherently everywhere about how amazing X song or Y song is and I'm not.

I am disappoint in you all.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I'm even more disappointed in myself for not opening the CD when I first got it. I absolutely agree, it's beautiful and I think I've mentioned a few times when we've Skyped last weekend about certain tracks.

This must be rectified immediately. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I really enjoyed just about every track. Hearing any of them i can picture the corresponding locarions. And I've gushed before about the FF2 Battle theme.

The only one I don't really care for is the town music in Coerthas, it starts to get a little grating.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Finished my lizard suit, ready to rawk

Lex I promise I will do the main story tomorrow and nothing else. :D

Top Bottom