The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

AvecAloes

Donator
There's no denying that some of the quests feel really tedious, even a lot of the "story relevant" quests get really 'run here, do this thing, run back, run across the map, run back and forth and back and forth', but the story definitely gets more intriguing as you get further into it. I'm still interested, at least!

Lex

Administrator
Yeah it's not really about the quests at the end of the day is it? For me the fun in this game is building your character up, customising, playing with friends and doing group shit like dungeons and fate groups.

Although I should stop posting about how good this game is and just actually play it, the full death of a thesis, a project, classes and lab leading is hanging over my head so I can't justify turning my ps3 on right now. Like I bought KH 1.5 last Monday and it's still in the plastic wrapping, I ain't kidding.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I finished the first story bit just now, was quite a bit more interesting than grinding through the quests. The quests are less tedious than those in WoW, at least, which just took a lot longer; enemies took longer to respawn (and you had to contend with other players), distances were much longer (or walking slower), etcetera.

Also I'd play with friends, but none of my e-friends are at the same level or around, and there's not much activity in the company either, so, :monster:.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
One thing I like about this game VS WoW is that when a quest-giver tells you to get 8 PORKCHOPS from WILDBOAR you only have to kill 8 WILDBOAR. In WoW you could kill about 14-18 before you had all your chops which was fucking stupid.

Also I'm with what Lex said. The fun in this game is everything around the questing. Let's be honest the questing in ANY MMO is like the filler in an anime. It's the necessary stuff to give perspective to the awesome stuff that surrounds it.

Doing quests until I hit a certain level - Not that fun. Calling upon the aid of two TLS guild members and a friend of mine to help me take on a great big Ifrit boss fight as part of my story - Pretty damn awesome.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I think Yoshi-P and Toriyama are friends or something, they hinted that they were going to do something with each others games back in E3 when Toriyama gave a picture of Lightning in a Miqote outfit.

I also think Yoshi-P said that there might be similar occurrences if them being there can make some sort of reasonable sense (he used not using nanaki as an example). So I'm betting any world that's universe is unstable or something, or world travelers like Gilgamesh.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
One thing I like about this game VS WoW is that when a quest-giver tells you to get 8 PORKCHOPS from WILDBOAR you only have to kill 8 WILDBOAR. In WoW you could kill about 14-18 before you had all your chops which was fucking stupid.

Also I'm with what Lex said. The fun in this game is everything around the questing. Let's be honest the questing in ANY MMO is like the filler in an anime. It's the necessary stuff to give perspective to the awesome stuff that surrounds it.

Doing quests until I hit a certain level - Not that fun. Calling upon the aid of two TLS guild members and a friend of mine to help me take on a great big Ifrit boss fight as part of my story - Pretty damn awesome.

Yeah that. I somehow managed to get up to level 60 in WoW doing stuff like that. The instances were more interesting than the quests, tbh. We'll see what happens, now that I'm past the first story section, :monster:. It also got kinda boring at one point because I missed one of the main quest-quests, ran out of quests to do, and did some of those duties / fates / whatevers they were called, repeat-quests and five-minute instances. Then I ran through half a dozen main quests and things were fine again.

Acting (and voice acting, where present) is a bit stiff tbh, not as engaging or as high-quality as the 'main' FF series, so it's less engaging than those; also because your main character does not have a voice or personality. I wouldn't mind that tbh, although they'd need a much bigger budget to make that happen (think TOR-scale, which does have a main character storyline for every class)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

lolwut

It's a FATE, apparently.

Yeah I was under the impression that we already knew they were going to release a Lightning-themed FATE and this was old news

It's nice to see it coming to fruition though

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I just finished the Tam-Tara Deepcroft.

Nobody told me I'd be fighting fucking
Cthulhu. I feel terrible now.
:monster:

Misha Mie

Rookie Adventurer
I thought illithid (mind flayer) when I saw it.

was pretty quiet over the weekend (at least while I was on). must be folks enjoying the fall weather instead of playing or something like that :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
maxresdefault.jpg

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
The amount of internet and gaming culture references in this game is too damn high.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It is. Keeps the mood light though, :monster:. Also it's not as frequent (yet?) to make me cringe.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Well you're in luck, Knuxson. As a Scholar one of my healing moves is called Succor. :monster:

In other news I am now level 35 on my Summoner/Scholar and have unlocked Titan as my newest summon. Well worth it after that damn fight. I also have my Fisherman to level 30 and it's nice to see the gil starting to trickle in!

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Grats, Joe! I need to start working on my professions some more. I am working on culinarian, so I took fisher and botanist to complement it. I got culinarian to 31 and botanist to 29, but I left fisher kind of in the dust at 21. I still have like 80 levequests saved up though to use on them. ;)

I also got my sword from Garuda hard mode last night! It's a pretty tough fight, but not too bad once you do it a few times and see everything she does.

And Joe, you can succor me all you want when I tank for you.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Is he flirting with me?

It sounds like he's flirting with me.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
So with free trial periods coming to a close, who's actually purchased their subscription? Mine actually ended on Tuesday, but I was still able to get on last night.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm level 21 or 22 or something and I'm still not overly impressed, :monster:

Also, didn't they extend the trial with a couple of days due to the start-up issues and shit?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
The quests are repetitive and such, but you do find it quite fun the more you level up. The thing that keeps me going is the story. I've reached
the Scions have been decimated and Minfilia has been taken. On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see cosplays of her in the next year so!

So whilst there's doom and gloom right now, poor old Velaria is getting through it. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, I don't mind the main storyline at the moment. I'll probably go in full grind mode once I'll level a secondary class, seeing as how there won't be much story missions available when doing that one. Just generic "Oh hey I'm some random person, go kill a handful of the billions of rabbit-like breeding creatures outside!" quests. I don't bother to read the texts anymore either, they really don't add much tbh. Like, you know, most FF NPC's, :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Actually, while I can't say I never skip through inconsequential dialogue, I thought they've done a good job of giving NPC's and their quests some personality.

Top Bottom