The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Consider CoT for a moment. Would that not be classified as purely Tifa's point of view, despite being written in third person? The narrator doesn't know things Tifa doesn't know, such as where Cloud disappeared to or why he's starting to distance himself. Wouldn't a truly objective narrator know that?

Nojima has employed third person limited subjective narrators before. We're not suddenly pulling this out of our sphincters for Case of Lifestream. What is a limited narrator? It only knows what the focus character knows.

I'm curious why the narrator automatically became the author.
Plenty of times authors will write narrators who are distinctly different entities, holding distinctly different beliefs than they do, because it makes the story interesting.

But yes, both CoB and CoT use 3rd limited. So does CoD, both in frame and Denzel's narration.

Oh and yes, noting that Aerith is in denial WRT her feelings and Zack's demise is not an insult. It's simply noting her emotional state at the time, and that she is seeking some comfort, some sanity in a callous world, especially after sensing the death of the man she loved for seven years, even though he was missing for five of them.

Last edited:

Isabella

Your Mom
The only time I would ever assume the narrator is the author is an autobiography. :)

But we better be careful, Ryu. Our lit geek is showing.

kelly20

Pro Adventurer
Consider CoT for a moment. Would that not be classified as purely Tifa's point of view, despite being written in third person? The narrator doesn't know things Tifa doesn't know, such as where Cloud disappeared to or why he's starting to distance himself. Wouldn't a truly objective narrator know that?

Nojima has employed third person limited subjective narrators before. We're not suddenly pulling this out of our sphincters for Case of Lifestream. What is a limited narrator? It only knows what the focus character knows.

I agree..
but I am saying that for some they wouldn't realize that...

Isabella

Your Mom
Yes, but these are the same people who thought koibito was two words and meant anything but lover up until a week ago. There's nothing you can say to make them see things differently.

Sorta OT but not: Last night I was watching a report of a study that showed conservatives who watched Stephen Colbert thought he was a conservative, and liberals who watched him thought he was mocking conservatism. It made me think of this stupid LTD, and how your fundamental beliefs/preferences color what you observe.

null.

Pro Adventurer
Those conservatives are fucking idiots.
lmaoo.gif
And I am NOT a liberal.

Last edited:

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Vote Satan :headbang:

... So do the novellas retcon Crisis Core or vice versa or does Cloud just have that much of an effect on her?

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
conservatives who watched Stephen Colbert thought he was a conservative

lmao.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

But yeah, it's a commonly observed phenomenon in social sciences that preconceptions colour people's perceptions - that is, people look for data that fits the schema they already have and reject data that doesn't fit those schema. Which in some cases can be helpful, I guess, but it can also lead to some rather irksome trouble.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Colbert Report>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Daily Show

Just had to throw that out there. <3

Um.... :shifty: *searches for topic*

Do you guys think Colbert or Stewart are Cloti and what would they argue...?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
They're both awesome, but yeah, pretty much.

:monster: at off-topicness. if they played FFVII they'd probably be sensible enough to see the truth, and might even construct lulzy sequences snarking at those who refused to accept canon. :monster:

Isabella

Your Mom
Do you guys think Colbert or Stewart are Cloti and what would they argue...?
Assuming they're hetrosexual males, they're clearly Cloti because of The Boobie Factor. At least, that's what I hear ...

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That's probably what they would claim on their shows at least, caring not for the truth but rather the extraction of lulz from the topic. XD

Colbert would probably pretend to be Clerith, then interview someone who was Clerith and ask lame questions and act all stupid about it. lol

edit: lol posted same time as null. XD

They're both awesome, but yeah, pretty much.

Can't say I'm a fan of Stewart much. Not that he's terrible but I just don't find his brand of humor to be all that humorous. But I love Colbert.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
That segment is one of the best interviews in television history. Stewart absolutely destroyed them.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well yes that was funny, and I didn't say he wasn't funny at all, but when I watch him do headlines on his show...I just think Colbert is funnier.

A

Great Old One
I lovelovelovelovelove Colbert. Although Stewart is good too.

Why are we talking about those two in an LTD thread? :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Someone brought up that conservatives in a study thought Colbert was a serious conservative, and the conversation just flowed naturally from there :monster:

null.

Pro Adventurer
Completely and utterly true, but eventually a grownup is going to see this thread. We should use our Faithian powers to mask our off-topicness.

Isabella

Your Mom
You realize that both you and I are older than the "grownups" here. :lol:
But you're right. Um, would Colbert wear these shoes? Oh no, wait, that's not right.

Anyone surveying the Japanese boards to see what they're saying about CoL?

Reference

Likes The Bartender
It takes some serious skills to do some major backpedaling like that.

Can someone fill me in? What does the use of koibito in the CoL prove, exactly?

A

Great Old One
We have Aerith considering Cloud as her beloved. Same goes for Maiden, really not a big change.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Only thing about CoL that disappoints me is that I had been expecting a huge epic chase scene. XD Oh well, it probably wouldn't have fit anyway. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom