The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Re: Love Triangle Discussion

What Bella said as well. You don't want every twist and turn of the plot spelled out for you. Otherwise what's the point? It's why I avoid spoilers like the plauge; I don't want to know what happens unless I'm emerged in the story already.

For example, I read the Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglass (published as the first three books of the Wayfarer Redemption series in NA) and the description of the first book makes it sound as if it is a huge love story between the girl Faraday and the main character Axis. The cover art also depicts Faraday as some fierce warrior.

After reading the books I learned two things: Axis ends up with a different woman in the second book while Faraday dies a tragic death in the third, and also Faraday is not a warrior at all in the least. While I did like the books what attracted me to them in the first place was what the marketing department of the publishing company no doubt this pulled out of their rears.

Goodbye Charlie

Rising Chest-Bank Protestor

[quote author=Isabella link=topic=53.msg15576#msg15576 date=1234053959]
What Tenny said. Their job is to appeal to as many of the masses as possible. So if throwing in the love word causes someone who might not buy the game otherwise to raise their eyebrows, then the marketing is a success.

Also: Cloud ending up with Tifa is a bit of a twist, though one you can see coming a mile away if you recognize the tropes. They aren't going to reveal that in an ad any more than they're going to reveal Cloud's messed-up Zackiness. It's a plot built around setting up expectations and then pissing on them. Do you want them to show all that in a commercial?
[/quote]

As I've said before, US mainstream is - or certainly was in the late 90s - quite a simple beast. The advert reflects that. FF7's promo was show how this game was as much a movie as it was a video game, and the advert mirrors the simple facets of a mainstream trailer rather than the core of the game. Marketing is never there to be honest, but to pitch, sell and lure in consumers. You do that by not getting complicated and appealing to the widest denominators of your market - most of which aren't going to be the type who are going to be looking for the textures that even today seem to elude even the most hardcore FF7 gamers. Oh, and that's not a jab at Cleris, but generally. I've seen many FF7 fans get a lot of FF7 very, very wrong.

Love your avatar Bella.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5857176

There was around half a dozen different versions, I think that's the only Japanese CM with narration (which is just a scary woman's voice saying "Are you Cloud yet?").

The only text ones were one says 'started', one about a limited edition guide book, and one saying "beyond expectation; beyond imagination; beyond fantasy"

Edit; that guide book one did have narration, now that I see it. Just narration about guide books :monster:

Also, the Japanese ads were better for not spoiling Aerith's death. You see her pray, and Sephiroth flying down, but no stabbing or burial like the English one. I was wondering if Cloud would save her or something, then I remembered I already know how this ends :monster:

Vorona

affirmative.
AKA
Aerina, Elle

Not to mention that the commercial at face value doesn't help Cleris anyway.

"A love that could never be."

haichinamie

Banned

[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=53.msg14944#msg14944 date=1233878744]
Wonder what the hell I'm saying?

If I were the big black pillar, you would all become necks. I mean it. You roles-don't-stand. It wasn't a talk like grasping a cloud or something.

Is what you want to say that I am a fellow you can't eat? That I'm a lie-attacher?

Don't lick me. I have hell-ears. If you back cut me, I'll grab your tail and make you eat the smelly rice. That's right. It's good to fear me.

Maybe I should cloud hide for a while. Wash my legs from you all.
[/quote]

??Clerith?????????????? ??Aerith?…??????????????????? ????? can'??; t????????? ??1????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????? ???? ????Bahamut????????????????Aerith???? Denile???????????? ????????????????don'??; t??????

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

What the eff? lol

I missed that whole thing where hito was writing that weird stuff. How could I?

Funny though. lol

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=53.msg15476#msg15476 date=1234003646]
[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=53.msg15350#msg15350 date=1233968140]If you see Aerith and Zack, are you an advocate of bisexual Cloud?
[/quote]

I'd be an advocate of bisexual Cloud regardless. Variety is the spice of life, you know. :monster:

[quote author=butterflybookmark link=topic=53.msg15371#msg15371 date=1233979040]
Oh my.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Clerith
LMAO, I wonder who wrote that. It's kinda mean though. I'm thinking about writing one for Clotis: They are smart, but sarcastic and snappy.
[/quote]

That's nothing. Read this: LINK CENSORED BY EBIL TETTYBEAR

[/quote]

Tenny, Tenny, Tenny...*shakes head*

I hope you were aware that the link to the article you posted contained a few hentai images. :P
We...don't really allow links to that sort of stuff as far as I'm aware. :monster:

A

Great Old One

[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=53.msg15761#msg15761 date=1234119594]
[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=53.msg15476#msg15476 date=1234003646]
[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=53.msg15350#msg15350 date=1233968140]If you see Aerith and Zack, are you an advocate of bisexual Cloud?
[/quote]

I'd be an advocate of bisexual Cloud regardless. Variety is the spice of life, you know. :monster:

[quote author=butterflybookmark link=topic=53.msg15371#msg15371 date=1233979040]
Oh my.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Clerith
LMAO, I wonder who wrote that. It's kinda mean though. I'm thinking about writing one for Clotis: They are smart, but sarcastic and snappy.
[/quote]

That's nothing. Read this: LINK CENSORED BY EBIL TETTYBEAR

[/quote]

Tenny, Tenny, Tenny...*shakes head*

I hope you were aware that the link to the article you posted contained a few hentai images. :P
We...don't really allow links to that sort of stuff as far as I'm aware. :monster:
[/quote]
It may be a bit scarring to a fifteen year old.
ninja.gif

But I had already seen that article long ago (because of the SummonerYuna and ACF link. :monster:

A

Great Old One

Thanks to Crack, I have found the real proofz about the ribbon thing! This oughta debunk everything about the pink ribbon:

ItadakiTifa.jpg

:monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

@ Tet: Oh, um... oops? :( Sorry...

@butterfly: I'm not sure that I follow...

A

Great Old One

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=53.msg15863#msg15863 date=1234147803]
@ Tet: Oh, um... oops? :( Sorry...

@butterfly: I'm not sure that I follow...
[/quote]
Haven't you heard about them claiming that because the ribbon is a representation of Cloud and Aerith's love, because apparently the ribbon means love and pink means romance in Japanese culture. But note that Cloud has only one pink ribbon, while Tifa has a ribbon on her hair, and that Tifa has two ribbons on her pants in AC.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

Tifa is so cyuuute. So she wins. :monster:

Lol @ everyone in here being hopeless Clack and Clephiroth fans. Those clever Cleriths... discovered my true feelings. ::)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Not that it was ribbons to begin with. It was a corruption the red string of fate, which has more than romantic connotations. Interestingly, if it IS the red string of fate in ribbon form, it's Z/A not C/A. Natch.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=53.msg15870#msg15870 date=1234149574]
Not that it was ribbons to begin with. It was a corruption the red string of fate, which has more than romantic connotations. Interestingly, if it IS the red string of fate in ribbon form, it's Z/A not C/A. Natch.
[/quote]

Well, her ribbon was red in KH2, and she talked to Cloud in KH2, so I guess it's love. :B

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Okay, okay, I see what you all did there with the ribbon thing.

[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=53.msg15870#msg15870 date=1234149574]
[/quote]

I think Ryu missed the joke. But whatever. You do speak truth.

[quote author=CelesChere link=topic=53.msg15867#msg15867 date=1234149074]Lol @ everyone in here being hopeless Clack and Clephiroth fans. Those clever Cleriths... discovered my true feelings. ::)
[/quote]

There is no room for Clephiroth in this thread. It's Clack or Clukki or gtfo imho. :duhard:

A

Great Old One

This thread is dead. Must make it... alive again!

Does anyone have an explanation for the quote in the Ultimania about Tifa letting her peevish feelings aside as she watches Cloud and Aerith form their own world? One of my friends is having a problem with this.

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer

I thought that someone explained this already? I think that you asked this question quite some time ago. Anyway...

First of all, what does it sound like to you? To me, "own world" can mean a number of things. For one, I'm always off in my own world, and forget about the people around me for a moment or two. Maybe it means that Tifa is seeing them off in their own world, and feels left out and/or jealous. Or maybe she sees them developing their own relationship/friendship and feels worried or jealous or once again, left out. Also, jealousy doesn't prove a whole lot of anything. I know that I've been jealous of something that turned out to be nothing before. It's pretty normal. Silly, but normal.

Somewhat random, but doesn't a similar thing happen later, except with Tifa as the apex? Cloud sort of sees Johnny & Tifa off in their own world together, and then he gets kind of peeved.

A

Great Old One

[quote author=Lily Ella link=topic=53.msg18443#msg18443 date=1234740966]
I thought that someone explained this already? I think that you asked this question quite some time ago. Anyway...

First of all, what does it sound like to you? To me, "own world" can mean a number of things. For one, I'm always off in my own world, and forget about the people around me for a moment or two. Maybe it means that Tifa is seeing them off in their own world, and feels left out and/or jealous. Or maybe she sees them developing their own relationship/friendship and feels worried or jealous or once again, left out. Also, jealousy doesn't prove a whole lot of anything. I know that I've been jealous of something that turned out to be nothing before. It's pretty normal. Silly, but normal.

Somewhat random, but doesn't a similar thing happen later, except with Tifa as the apex? Cloud sort of sees Johnny & Tifa off in their own world together, and then he gets kind of peeved.
[/quote]
Huh? I asked about Tifa being jealous of Cloud and Aerith's special bond. But thanks -- I was feeling a bit iffy on that. :monster:

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer

Well, both questions have practically the same answer. :P Whoop-de-do @ special bond though. I never understand why so many orgasmed over that line. I have special bonds with certain friends of mine. I certainly am not in love with any of them.

kelly20

Pro Adventurer

[quote author=Lily Ella link=topic=53.msg18443#msg18443 date=1234740966]

[/quote]

I don't recall this scene... :-\

but yeah.. that quote is part of their PROOFZ that Cloud loves Aerith.. even though it is just Tifa's feelings.. :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom