The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Re: Love Triangle Discussion

Costa Del Sol, first arrival, when the party goes their own way. Let Tifa run off, and you find her catching up with Johnny on old times. They make the comment that there's no need to be jealous, they're just catching up.
Or words to roughly the same effect, anyways.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Oh yeah I remember the Costa Del Sol part. Cloud shows Johnny some attitude which Johnny then reciprocates, I do believe.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

If you actually look look at the scene that "two person world" comes from, it's nothing nearly as romantic as the Clerii make it out to be. Tifa wasn't there when Cloud and Aerith met; she doesn't know that Aerith offered Cloud a date and not the other way around.

Tifa's in love with Cloud, obviously thought Cloud asked Aerith out on a date or something, and lets her jealous/peevish feelings slip out.

It's the same as the "special bond" quote. It has a lot less to do with any imaginary romance between Cloud and Aerith and much more to do with Tifa's state of mind.

But really, what's wrong with a little jealousy? It's actually a cliche among Jrpg love interests.

Last edited:

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios

98 Pages have been really entertaining, but...

Length of Cloud/Aerith "relationship": 1 1/2 months.
Length of Cloud/Tifa "relationship": 12-17 Years.
Number of letters Aerith wrote to Zack: 89.
(And they say Tifa was the needy one!)
Number of Shinra's Zack kills trying to get back to Aerith: A lot.
None of that's disputable.

In all the ways Advent Children is about Cloud & Tifa, Crisis Core is about Aerith & Zack. Two are alive. Two are dead. Let them live out there lives/afterlives together in peace. Although I'm hoping Nomura decides to bring back Zack, Aerith, and Sephiroth as zombies in the new short.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios

Zombie_Aeris_avatar_by_Lexis_Saia.jpg

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

I probably have it tucked away on my computer somewhere.

Length of Cloud/Aerith "relationship": 1 1/2 months.

1 1/2 is still an overtstatement, since the game takes from just past Migdnight on Dec 9 to Early morning sometime in the latter third of January (so latest date is Jan 31), so that's 53 days possible at the maximum. IIRC, three weeks occur on discs 2 or 3, so that's 32 days max.
There's a larger gap between Zack's death and game start than from game start to game end.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

There's a larger gap between Zack's death and game start than from game start to game end.

And Cleriths say Zack and Aerith had no time to fall in love. O.o; I know they got that idea from a quote, which one is it? Sometimes I think what I type is coming across to them as invisible. Inseparable. Sincere love? But there's no quote I know of about too little time besides this one:

Nojima: The setting that “falling from the roof of the Church” repeats Aerith’s encounter with Cloud was decided in the beginning. Though we’re talking about love, they are still young back then and there’s no time to describe “how they become fond of each other” in the game. So I made it like “falling into a sudden crush.”

Isabella

Your Mom

[quote author=CelesChere link=topic=53.msg18711#msg18711 date=1234810277]

And Cleriths say Zack and Aerith had no time to fall in love. O.o; I know they got that idea from a quote, which one is it? Sometimes I think what I type is coming across to them as invisible. Inseparable. Sincere love? But there's no quote I know of about too little time besides this one:

Nojima: The setting that “falling from the roof of the Church” repeats Aerith’s encounter with Cloud was decided in the beginning. Though we’re talking about love, they are still young back then and there’s no time to describe “how they become fond of each other” in the game. So I made it like “falling into a sudden crush.”
[/quote]
The intent of that quote seems obvious to me. They didn't have a lot of time within the game to show them slowly falling in love ('cause that would take Zack away from kicking ass for too long), so they made it an instant love rather than making it a long process. Love at first sight vs. a drawn-out courtship.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=53.msg18712#msg18712 date=1234810476]
[quote author=CelesChere link=topic=53.msg18611#msg18611 date=1234782857]
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/zacconr/zombieAeris.jpg
:monster:
[/quote]

Do I see the Umbrella Corporation logo? :duhard:
[/quote]

You do indeed. It's an FF7/BH crossover image. Think about it. It's hilarious.

And yeah, Zack and Aerith got two years to be together, they just fell in love quickly because they couldn't devote a lot of game time to them falling in love, so they skipped the falling stage and went into the 'in' stage.

Isabella

Your Mom

“falling into a sudden crush.”
Just curious, what was the Japanese used for "crush" in this sentence? Was the word "dim" anywhere around it? Because clearly the Japanese use "dim love" to describe crushes.

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW

Well, I wouldn't say it was love at first site. Aerith and Zack saw each other, talked a bit, and developed a small crush. But they still had a year (or was it two?) to develop a relationship. It was all offscreen, but we're shown some scenes in the DMW. It's like that for most of the characters Zack meets.

I thought that the "dim love" was a mistranslation. The word used was meant to mean secretive or something. Cloud had a secret crush on Tifa.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

[quote author=Restless link=topic=53.msg18758#msg18758 date=1234824600]
Well, I wouldn't say it was love at first site. Aerith and Zack saw each other, talked a bit, and developed a small crush. But they still had a year (or was it two?) to develop a relationship. It was all offscreen, but we're shown some scenes in the DMW. It's like that for most of the characters Zack meets.

I thought that the "dim love" was a mistranslation. The word used was meant to mean secretive or something. Cloud had a secret crush on Tifa.
[/quote]

It's not so much a mistranslation as an improper one. "Dim" IS a valid english choice for honoka, along with faint, but the thing is, honoka has the connotation of perception, of "to be seen"
http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E4%BB%84%E3%81%8B and is also used in the verb for implication and insinuation. In short, it's about expression and perception, not strength.
The second most likely kanji for honoka (we are given only the hiragana, and simply searching for honoka results in only two kanji), has the essence of opposition or side, which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense in context.

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW

[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=53.msg18806#msg18806 date=1234835593]
It's not so much a mistranslation as an improper one. "Dim" IS a valid english choice for honoka, along with faint, but the thing is, honoka has the connotation of perception, of "to be seen"
http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E4%BB%84%E3%81%8B and is also used in the verb for implication and insinuation. In short, it's about expression and perception, not strength.
The second most likely kanji for honoka (we are given only the hiragana, and simply searching for honoka results in only two kanji), has the essence of opposition or side, which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense in context.
[/quote]

Oh, thanks :) So, it's one of those "translating is an art, not a science" moments, I guess.

kelly20

Pro Adventurer

Even if it is Dim love

dim just means you cant see it well..

So, I don't understand this argument used by the Clerith... :-[..how do they twist this one really?

can someone enlighten me?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

[quote author=kelly20 link=topic=53.msg18852#msg18852 date=1234850706]
Even if it is Dim love

dim just means you cant see it well..

So, I don't understand this argument used by the Clerith... :-[ ..how do they twist this one really?

can someone enlighten me?
[/quote]

The problem is that we can't. It only makes sense to the people who argue the the fact. :/

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

And a 'dim crush' that they say faded when he saw Aerith. Because that's true love. Even though nothing of the sort has ever been stated with regard to Aerith on the part of Cloud. Only on the part of Zack. And in regards to Zack with regards to Aerith. But then they say that love faded somehow, despite us being told it's her feelings for Zack that influence her interactions with Cloud in FF7.

But yeah, the way they spin it is by plugging their ears and going 'Lalalalalalalala I can't hear you!', same as they've tried to spin someone else having aijou for Aerith into Cloud having 'ideal love' for her, and how they make 'Risque' 'delicate', and insist the koibito line refers to personality, even though that makes no gorram sense.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

And a 'dim crush' that they say faded when he saw Aerith.

Woah, wait a minute. So the Ultimania saying they met by accident, and that they merely exchanged words briefly = love? :o

But then they say that love faded somehow, despite us being told it's her feelings for Zack that influence her interactions with Cloud in FF7.

ZackxAerith= Inseparable relationship. :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man

"NO!!! I MUST SUMMON HOLY!"
"No Aerith... You ARE Holy"
*stab*
And then Aerith was a zombie. : (

I still support cloti due to the fact Cloud's gonna be an awesome emo dad to cute kids of Tifa in the future. OMNOMNOMNOM and Tifa's way sexier than Aerith. Sorry babe. Tifa's got the whole set, beauty and kindness wrapped in a subway sammich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom