The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Love Triangle Discussion

All very legitimate reasons. I still haven't played ffiv so I'm not aware of the parallels.

Speaking of Cloud being the gentle father figure, I can imagine him being timid towards his little daughter. He already seems SO with Marlene :monster: Or maybe with every female.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

[quote author=lonestar link=topic=53.msg1404#msg1404 date=1228946849]
All very legitimate reasons. I still haven't played ffiv so I'm not aware of the parallels.[/quote]

Well, there's versions available for SNES, PS1, GBA, and DS...

But yes, childhood sweethearts, a love triangle (one girl, two guys), all very subtle until the very end of the game. Also an LT that's not even a fight.

Speaking of Cloud being the gentle father figure, I can imagine him being timid towards his little daughter. He already seems SO with Marlene :monster: Or maybe with every female.

null.

Pro Adventurer

And Cecil calls Rosa his "friend" the entire game. Nobody seemed terribly surprised when Cecil married his childhood friend.

Rinoa

Stargazer
AKA
Selene, Sheila

If they have kids it has to be brangelina style.. twins.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

[quote author=Rinoa link=topic=53.msg1462#msg1462 date=1228974141]
If they have kids it has to be brangelina style.. twins.
[/quote]

Actually, I was just thinking this myself. We haven't had a good pair of twins since Palom and Porom. Yeah, yeah, the brothers Figaro, but they weren't twinny enough.

Also, Rinny, where's that cheesecake-alicious Rinoa Av come from and whose body did they harvest for it? Or is it simply a cheesecakey custom render?

Avenger007

Rookie Adventurer

Honestly, with all the "evidence" to support both sides of the argument (that being all inclusive of factoid, extrapolations, and interpretations), I am perplexed why people still feel the need to justify their holistic view side. I mean.. It's been 11 years now.... if there was actual conclusive evidence...I mean, wouldn't the writers have EXPLICITLY said Cloud loves Tifa or Cloud loves Aerith? And by EXPLICITLY I mean used the words, Cloud loves Tifa or Cloud loves Aerith? Can't we, as a community, come to the realization the both view points are accurate?, at least, to the degree in which you believe them to be? I mean.. what's the point but to enrage people of the opposite view and only to solidify your own personal view in which you weren't waiving from to begin with? I also mean.. the argument has become so vindictive and such a fallacy to the point where no longer can points be proven as solidifying fact without interpretive evidence being supportive as a counterpoint. Hell.. it seems that to prove your viewpoint as right nowadays you have to actually prove that the opposing viewpoint is false.. which is a whole is a battle that seems insurmountable due to the fact that little to no evidence even suggest the fact that Cloud "dislikes" a particular girl. Can't we just give it honestly up to their is no actual cannon, that like alot of eastern literature, its up to the reader to decide, and that ultimately, one's viewpoint doesn't matter beyond themselves?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Oh wow, the discussion finally got interesting :monster:

Awesome.

Isabella

Your Mom

If each side had an equal amount of "evidence" you might have a point. And that might have been the case in 1997, but with the release of the compilation and myriad companion books it's simply not so.

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer

Even in '97, that wasn't the case. But, I'm a-gonna let someone else tackle that.

writers have EXPLICITLY
I am waiting for Jackson to EXPLICITLY say, via press conference or grand TV interview, that Aragorn's true love is Arwen. Until then, my ~interpretation~ is that Arwen is but a beard, and that Aragorn's true love is Gimli.

Anywho, the writers have said enough, and the story shows enough. I like to think that the writers/directors/etc think that I am smart enough to figure things out on my own, and that I don't need every little thing spelled out for me.

Avenger007

Rookie Adventurer

If each side had an equal amount of "evidence" you might have a point. And that might have been the case in 1997, but with the release of the compilation and myriad companion books it's simply not so.

I'm curious to understand what you mean by an equal amount of evidence? As far as i understand about any concept of evidence... nothing is "equal" One piece of evidence can RELATE to another but never be equal.. based soley on the fact that each piece of evidence is not explaining nor defining the same concept. If you are talking about the # of evidences, even that is a fallacy because # does not equal worth... and again... I will bring up the fact that for whatever side you believe in.. it is circumstantial evidence, seeing the fact that at the heart of this argument, we are arguing over a story, and any credible person who can dissect a story knows that without EXPLICIT knowledge, meaning, literal words, that the author dictates, nothing can be canonically said. IF it isnt explicitly said in the story. it isn't fact.. it is an interpretation, and more importantly, your interpretation. It holds absolutely no more clout than any other single person who shares the same knowledge as you but comes to a different conclusion. Hell.. one will be hard pressed to even suggest that because you feel yo hold more knowledge than another that your interpretation is right. Its sucks, but its the truth. A big fallacy when understanding Eastern literature is that it holds the same conclusive sway as western literature. And I'll give one piece of evidence to solidify this.. FFVIIAC. From a western audience perspective (as a whole mass media mind you) that movie has a very substandard plot. Its hard to follow.. its hard to make sense.. its damn weird. But.. if you understand a eastern concept of storytelling.. one is able to understand where they are coming from, what they are trying to accomplish, and ultimately, that like most eastern literature, they leave it up to the reader ( in this case the viewer) to interpret what they see.

Avenger007

Rookie Adventurer

Sorry Lilly Ella.. but your counterpoint doesn't make any sense.

Here are your two opposing viewpoints that you set up:

Arwen love Gimley.

Aragon is a Beard.

Please.. show me some.. hell.. any evidence the Aragon is actually a "beard". and then maybe your argument might hold some small clout. One can say an interpretation about anything, and for everything... but without ANY evidence to back it up it just sounds silly, and the Cloti vs Cleris side (while in reality is inconsequential) at least both sides have some reasonable evidence to suggest.

until then.. and no offense honestly.. but arguing extrapilatory and ultimately ridiculous points does not equate to the potential academic question that is presented here.

Isabella

Your Mom

Well I'm glad to see you don't subscribe to the philosophy that all interpretations are equal. An interpretation is as valid as it is supported.

So if you feel C/A has reasonable evidence that is consistent with character, plot and theme, would you care to elaborate on this evidence?

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer

Ah, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. It's like ACF all over again. ;D

I'll show you my evidence that Arwen is a beard once you show me some nice, actual, solid evidence that Cloud ever had any romantic feelings for Aerith. :)

[quote author=Lily Ella link=topic=53.msg1497#msg1497 date=1228994150]

Ah, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. It's like ACF all over again. ;D

I'll show you my evidence that Arwen is a beard once you show me some nice, actual, solid evidence that Cloud ever had any romantic feelings for Aerith. :)
[/quote]

Exactly. You might think it's silly, but we ask Cloud and Aerith people this very question:
Please.. show me some.. hell.. any evidence the Aragon is actually a "beard".
But for Cloud and Aerith obviously, and we never seem to get past that point.

And, well, they don't really have to say Cloud is in love with Tifa when they've already said:
They are lovers.
They are a family where he's the dad and she's the mom.
Aerith was only every in love with the Zack part of Cloud.
Never saying Cloud has any romantic feelings towards Aerith.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer

[quote author=Avenger007 link=topic=53.msg1490#msg1490 date=1228992993]
Please.. show me some.. hell.. any evidence the Aragon is actually a "beard". and then maybe your argument might hold some small clout. One can say an interpretation about anything, and for everything... but without ANY evidence to back it up it just sounds silly, and the Cloti vs Cleris side (while in reality is inconsequential) at least both sides have some reasonable evidence to suggest.

until then.. and no offense honestly.. but arguing extrapilatory and ultimately ridiculous points does not equate to the potential academic question that is presented here.
[/quote]

Arwen + "beard" = Aerith + Cloud.

Now apply all that to yourself. I'm sorry but the attempts to insert ambiguity into something that by any measure of common sense has very little have mostly become a source of comedy. It only become annoying once someone insists on mocking common sense a little too much.

[quote author=Balthea link=topic=53.msg1506#msg1506 date=1228997700]
And, well, they don't really have to say Cloud is in love with Tifa when they've already said:
They are a family where he's the dad and she's the mom.
Aerith was only every in love with the Zack part of Cloud.
[/quote]
Exactly. And anyone remember the Mako Poisoning incident? Tifa STAYED with Cloud until he was better. That shows that she cares greatly for him, and wouldn't leave his side.

Exactly.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Oh no, another LTD? XD

Shouldn't this be dead after reading Tifa's CCU profile? :monster:

The thread is more for us to have lulz, and that if someone comes in still confused about it all, we can show them to quotes that end it for good.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

A lulz thread, you say? Well, I'm all on board for that. :monster:

We must make it our duty to educated the uneducated.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

Please don't hijack my thread with your lulz. This is a serious thread, for serious discussion, on serious matters.

Such as learning French. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

No it isn't, and you know. Sex is meaningless and dirty.

Unless it's done in flower fields with spiritual apparitions. In which case it's creepy and nauseating. But uber-important.

[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=53.msg1550#msg1550 date=1229016680]
Please don't hijack my thread with your lulz. This is a serious thread, for serious discussion, on serious matters.

Such as learning French. :monster:
[/quote]

Isn't that what FCF is for? :monster: All the topics there are seri0s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom