The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Re: Love Triangle Discussion

Revisions, as in, The Love Triangle for example? Is it possible?

I hope they explain even more (Even though they did so in three different quotes) on the 'Aerith saw Zack in Cloud' deal. I also expect not to see Maiden included in any of this revised stuff, but if it is, I hope they clear up all of it's errors.

Chidori

Rookie Adventurer

I don't really side with any side of the love triangle between Aerith, Cloud, and Tifa.

After playing Crisis Core, it made Cloud look more like he was a friend than a lover. Just some emo guy that was beating himself up over a friend's death, ye?

He's always pushed Tifa away but never really said FUCK YOU WHORE, GO DIE IN A FIRE WHILE I HAVE GAYSECKS WITH VINCENT!!11111

It's always just felt to me like his character wasn't ready for someone to play the active role of loving beeyatch for him.

Though, I do believe he'd move onto humping Tifa's ass someday, since like, it'd be wrong to take a dive into the sea and fuck a corpse :monster:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Yeah, for one, he's never pushed Tifa away. For two, there's no moving on, since there was nothing between him and Aerith to begin with. For three, he did get with Tifa. For four, watch the language, bucko.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy

ALL OF THIS CAN BE SOLVED BY THE DATE SCENE WITH YUFFIE. YUFFIE KISSES CLOUD, THAT'S FURTHER THAN ANY OF THEM EVER GOT. AMAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

...I'm pro Clerith actually. :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well baring the fact that Cloud doesn't react to Yuffie's kiss at all and is extremely uninterested...I don't think Yuffie thinks much of Cloud in that regard now, either.

And exactly why are you Clerith anyways?

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy

Well it's nothing short of "zomg cloud ttly ignors tifa she a ho cuz she haz big bewbs and short skurt." I just sort of think that with every FF there has been a Damsel in distress, and a hero to save her. While I'm not completely blind to the fact that she only fell for him because of Zack's impression on Cloud, I just like to think that the Princess is Aerith and Cloud is her hero. Considering that he did save her from Corneo's clutches and Hojo.

And while I'm pro Clerith I'm not anti-tifa at the same time. Sure, she does irk me because of the fact that she has all these feelings for him and doesn't act on them (or not as actively as most girls would). You'd think someone who's as madly in love with him as she is, she'd try and make a move. But she doesn't, not really anyway. And Tifa's a strong woman, both physically and mentally/emotionally.

Isabella

Your Mom

I'd say her "words aren't the only way" line definitely counts as a move.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well Cloud wasn't only saving Aerith from Don Corneo. Tifa was the whole entire point in him infiltrating and dressing in drag in the first place. Aerith was just there undercover to help.

And the whole "damsel in distress" thing kinda links back to the promise he makes with Tifa by the well in Nibelheim. Which he fulfills by rescuing her from Sephiroth and killing him before he can get away.

Not to mention Cloud didn't really save Aerith at all. Seeing as how she well....died right in front of him.

So if anyone is Cloud's princess to save, it'd honestly be Tifa :monster:

Isabella

Your Mom

Not to mention, Cloud catching Tifa as she fell from the cliff at the very end of the game wraps up the whole "failure to catch her on Mt. Nibel" arc. It was his failure to rescue her as a child that started his obsession with saving people, so it's only appropriate that he catch her in the end. Literally and figuratively.

:monster:

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey

I think Cloud probably qualifies as a damsel in distress himself (probably even more than the girls do) since he has to be saved so many times by the likes of Zack, Tifa and Aeris.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

ZING. *rimshot*

But honestly, when does Aerith save him?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

So Channy, outside of 'the DiD' logic, which I think Bella has explained narratively works better for C/T, what reasons do you think the creators intend us to take C/A as 'a couple'?

What indicated the romantic interest from Cloud in the first place? And how does this strike you as more compelling than Cloud's tender memories/ secret wish, etc?

Shadowfox

Actually, reading Channy's post again, I can't help wondering... has the criteria for romance been changed yet again? I recall a while back the Cleris camp had maintained that being a damsel in distress actually disqualified the girl from being Cloud's love.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy

oshi, I'm totally surrounded by Cloti, aren't I? :monster:
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=53.msg28927#msg28927 date=1236653791]
Well Cloud wasn't only saving Aerith from Don Corneo. Tifa was the whole entire point in him infiltrating and dressing in drag in the first place. Aerith was just there undercover to help.

And the whole "damsel in distress" thing kinda links back to the promise he makes with Tifa by the well in Nibelheim. Which he fulfills by rescuing her from Sephiroth and killing him before he can get away.

Not to mention Cloud didn't really save Aerith at all. Seeing as how she well....died right in front of him.

So if anyone is Cloud's princess to save, it'd honestly be Tifa :monster:
[/quote]

orite, I totally forgot that he had to save Tifa first. I just linked the playground scene to Aerith and put two and two together to try and make five. :duhard: oops.

osure, go right for the throat when he totally doesn't save Aerith. D; That's brutal man. I dunno, I just kinda remember that moment as him going so far to try and find her, finds her, is almost brainwashed to kill her himself but then snaps out of it in the nick of time.... and then she gets skewered. >_>

Well, not to mention that after she's dead he has many outspoken "I think she wants us to do... go here... save this..." moments. Which, while not pushing Tifa away, kinda disarms her advances imo.

[quote author=Isabella link=topic=53.msg28934#msg28934 date=1236654520]
Not to mention, Cloud catching Tifa as she fell from the cliff at the very end of the game wraps up the whole "failure to catch her on Mt. Nibel" arc. It was his failure to rescue her as a child that started his obsession with saving people, so it's only appropriate that he catch her in the end. Literally and figuratively.

[/quote]

Holy shit I totally never realized that. SYMBOLISM FTW. But like.. he was reaching for Aerith's hand in the first place. :duhard:

[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=53.msg28943#msg28943 date=1236657970]
So Channy, outside of 'the DiD' logic, which I think Bella has explained narratively works better for C/T, what reasons do you think the creators intend us to take C/A as 'a couple'?

What indicated the romantic interest from Cloud in the first place? And how does this strike you as more compelling than Cloud's tender memories/ secret wish, etc?
[/quote]

Well I like to root for the underdog. Considering some of the creators at Squoft said "We have two heroines here, what do we do?" "Well, let's kill one off!" I just can't help but feel for the tragedy that is Clerith. The two had a touching moment on the Gondola, in which Aerith states she wants to know the REAL Cloud, and not just see him as the Zack carbon copy she saw before. We don't get to see much else if you don't have her in your party because well... the inevitable happens. >_>

Also ^^^ how do you mean? Being the DiD didn't make it automatically Cloud's love which is.. Tifa? wat?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well we know Aerith had feelings for Cloud, but the thing is...where does it show Cloud had feelings for her?

And Aerith's feelings started because she reminded him of her dead *true* love.

Cloud and Aerith only knew each other for about 2 to 3 weeks. And they didn't even fully know each other. Not at the level of Cloud and Tifa. Their friendship and comradery is tragic, but tragedy doesn't always equate to love.

Cloud cares about Aerith but that doesn't mean its love or some relationship. I mean, they never even dated or shared a true romantic moment at all. That's hardly the foundation for a relationship, crush or "love."

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy

It says so in the FFVII: Ultimania Love Triangle Guide, page 593 paragraph 3, live 5, words 8, 9, and 10. "Cloud loves Aerith".

And I know that they didn't know each other at the same level as Tifa and Cloud. But where's your sense of love at first sight, man? D;

And regarding the Cloti past, something else irks me. You have this punky little kid chasing after this girl. He likes her, a lot. He tries to play with her, interact with her, but she's a complete bitch to him. Granted, her mother DID just die, but she didn't disregard her other friends as much as she shunned Cloud when he wanted to see her. But it takes a grand gesture as falling off a cliff for her, for this girl to realize "Hey, this guy likes me." :monster:

Aerith was just simply impressed by the fact that he was willing enough to protect her from some shady guys.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

She's not a complete bitch to him. She's dealing with the loss of her mother and is obviously too preoccupied with loss and mourning to be bothered with giving into the desire of a childhood crush. She's never mean to him. And Cloud admits to be being too shy to really get to know her. So he watches her from afar. She never shuns Cloud. Cloud's too shy to approach her.

And Aerith wasn't just impressed with that fact. She was clearly curious and somewhat taken aback to meeting a guy who resembled Zack, wore his clothes, carried his sword, and fell into her church the exact same way Zack did before. I mean, naturally she would be curious and wouldn't want to leave him. She even admits that at first it was the resemblance and connection to Zack that made her curious about him. That's not exactly love at first sight.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

I'm sorry, but the "Miss Popular Beyotch" Tifa thing is just old. Tifa's just not that kind of character, geez! Cloud himself knows(and says; his in-game explanation is very easy to get a handle on) that Tifa wasn't to blame for the situation back then.

I don't get why it's not completely understandable why Tifa didn't notice Cloud. She was mourning the loss of her mother, which you've acknowledged(to an extent), but there's also the fact that Cloud held himself aloof from the other children, thinking he was better than them('course, he was just lonely). He acted like he didn't want to be around anyone.

So how was Tifa supposed to know that he even liked her at all? She had no reason to think he had a thing for her.

When Cloud actually made the effort, Tifa returned the favor.

Shadowfox

[quote author=Channy link=topic=53.msg28952#msg28952 date=1236669749]
Also ^^^ how do you mean? Being the DiD didn't make it automatically Cloud's love which is.. Tifa? wat?
[/quote]

I was referring to the stance held by some of the longtime Cloud/Aeris supporters and anti-Cloud/Tifa-ers that I had debated with a while back. They claimed that Tifa was a damsel in distress which therefore put her out of the running for winning Cloud's attentions. It seemed that their reasons for saying so were something along the lines of: "DiDs are weaklings. Nobody likes weaklings. Weaklings don't deserve Cloud's love. Therefore Cloud could never love a DiD."

That's why when you said that Aeris as a DiD would make her the princess to Cloud's hero, I was wondering if opinions have changed.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

[quote author=Channy link=topic=53.msg28952#msg28952 date=1236669749]
oshi, I'm totally surrounded by Cloti, aren't I? :monster:
orite, I totally forgot that he had to save Tifa first. I just linked the playground scene to Aerith and put two and two together to try and make five. :duhard: oops.

osure, go right for the throat when he totally doesn't save Aerith. D; That's brutal man. I dunno, I just kinda remember that moment as him going so far to try and find her, finds her, is almost brainwashed to kill her himself but then snaps out of it in the nick of time.... and then she gets skewered. >_>[/quote]

The thing about that bit, though, is that it takes Tifa to get Cloud to even get him to go after her at that point. And it takes Cloud's current party members (Default is Tifa to call out IIRC, since she gets put into the party in the correct slot) calling out for him to stop.

Well, not to mention that after she's dead he has many outspoken "I think she wants us to do... go here... save this..." moments. Which, while not pushing Tifa away, kinda disarms her advances imo.

But all of those moment are related to saving the world, to make her death not in vain, and I don't think that's really relevant to advances or anything. It's really just prioritizing so they all don't bite the big one.

Holy shit I totally never realized that. SYMBOLISM FTW. But like.. he was reaching for Aerith's hand in the first place. :duhard:

Well, if you're going by Maiden, she's guiding him back to the real world, to Tifa, and Cloud was only reaching reflexively. If you go by the UO, it's just 'the hand in the light', which changes into Tifa's hand.
Taking it to be Aerith's hand, it's essentially a kick in the teeth to people expecting Aerith's miraculous last minute resurrection, if not to C/A people too. It's essentially a 'Here you- Oops, no, aren't you an idiot for thinking that!' move. It's almost artfully mean, just like undermining all of Aerith's romantic advances (and various C/A proofz) by making them related to Zack.

Well I like to root for the underdog. Considering some of the creators at Squoft said "We have two heroines here, what do we do?" "Well, let's kill one off!" I just can't help but feel for the tragedy that is Clerith. The two had a touching moment on the Gondola, in which Aerith states she wants to know the REAL Cloud, and not just see him as the Zack carbon copy she saw before. We don't get to see much else if you don't have her in your party because well... the inevitable happens. >_>

See, I think all that is supposed to get us ready for major plot twist 1 and then leave us ready for major plot twist 2, when we learn about Cloud's true self and his real motivations. A lot of the game is there to make more sense upon recollection.

[quote author=Channy link=topic=53.msg28957#msg28957 date=1236670830]
It says so in the FFVII: Ultimania Love Triangle Guide, page 593 paragraph 3, live 5, words 8, 9, and 10. "Cloud loves Aerith".

:monster:[/quote]
Funny that it took them 593 pages of a guide dedicated to the subject to get to the point.
Oh wait, words 11, 12, and 13. 'like a mother'.

And I know that they didn't know each other at the same level as Tifa and Cloud. But where's your sense of love at first sight, man? D;

In Crisis Core, with Zack and Aerith. Where we're given even the barest hint that it's happening.

And regarding the Cloti past, something else irks me. You have this punky little kid chasing after this girl. He likes her, a lot. He tries to play with her, interact with her, but she's a complete bitch to him. Granted, her mother DID just die, but she didn't disregard her other friends as much as she shunned Cloud when he wanted to see her.

She let him into the group, how is that disregarding him? She's given the choice to let him in, and we know that's the first Time Cloud had seen inside her room. So she did let him in. And Cloud admits that he was sort of sabotaging himself by getting into fights and such.

But it takes a grand gesture as falling off a cliff for her, for this girl to realize "Hey, this guy likes me." :monster:

I don't think she did realize he liked her. I think they were both nervous that the other might not like them. We do know that she thought he was cute back then.

Aerith was just simply impressed by the fact that he was willing enough to protect her from some shady guys.

And his incidental yet pervading resemblance to Zack, which tinged all of her interactions with him.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer

[quote author=Channy link=topic=53.msg28924#msg28924 date=1236653373]
And while I'm pro Clerith I'm not anti-tifa at the same time. Sure, she does irk me because of the fact that she has all these feelings for him and doesn't act on them (or not as actively as most girls would). You'd think someone who's as madly in love with him as she is, she'd try and make a move. But she doesn't, not really anyway. And Tifa's a strong woman, both physically and mentally/emotionally.
[/quote]

Cloud does not irk you?

I think people miss the point of how Cloud/Tifa plot line works. It's supposed to be a plot twist. You could not have their romance progress in a straightforward manner because then the revelation of Cloud's secret crush on her looses it's punch.

[quote author=Channy link=topic=53.msg28957#msg28957 date=1236670830]
And regarding the Cloti past, something else irks me. You have this punky little kid chasing after this girl. He likes her, a lot. He tries to play with her, interact with her, but she's a complete bitch to him. Granted, her mother DID just die, but she didn't disregard her other friends as much as she shunned Cloud when he wanted to see her. But it takes a grand gesture as falling off a cliff for her, for this girl to realize "Hey, this guy likes me." :monster:[/quote]

This is something the clerii made up. Tifa never shuns him because Cloud doesn't take the effort to approach her in the first place. When he does she does not refuse him.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy

-_- Jaysus you people aren't going to let me Clorith in peace, are you? I haven't played the game in a few years, so my recollections are a little hazy, as was the Cloud saves Aerith from Corneo, owait no that was Tifa event.

I'll be honest, I just fell in love with the idea of Clorith when I saw them interact with one another. Her actions towards him? Cute and flirtatious. Her motive? Yeah probably not the best of intentions but she was seeking out Zack AND Cloud in Cloud. Possibly solving one mystery by following another.

And yeah, I'll admit Zack and Aerith had a thing in CC, it's obvious. I'm not blind to see that. But a girl CAN love more than one person, it's not unheard of. So I'm just going to leave it aat that. Now stop trying to prove to me that Santa Claus isn't real because you're ruining Christmas for me! D;

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

gb2/Kingdom Hearts if you want your Clerith :monster:

You stepped in here, so you've only yourself to blame. :duhard:

Yeah, the whole idea of Cloud and Aerith's interactions in FFVII was to give you that cute, warm fuzzy feeling and then when you feel like you know it all and they have a chance, that's when the plot punches you in the eye and screams, "GOTCHA BITCH!" and reveals its all one big farce and Aerith's dead and Cloud doesn't even know who he is.

And really, its better that way. Aerith and Zack has a lot more credence, history and reality to it than the little fairy tale red herring in FFVII that's Cloud and Aerith. Yeah, they were close. Aerith was important to him, but the whole clincher is, is that their love isn't the real deal. Cloud's true heart and mind goes back to Tifa once its all said and done.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

Dammit, Mako. I had such a good comeback! It was to feature a really sarcastic an' hilarious description of Santa an everything!

-sniff-

But yeah, what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom