The General Turks Worship Thread

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
It was a lot of fun. Even if I did have to learn some
1. Stay at the con hotel, it doesn't matter if they've sold out of two bed rooms, get a single bed room and tell people who "might" want to come that there isn't room rather than getting a two bed room at another hotel several miles away. We ended up with four in the room, we could have managed the king sized bed or someone could have slept on the floor.
2 Better yet, book room absurdly early so as to get a room with two beds.
3. Never wear costumes that involve covering one eye, especially if you have an astigmatism and need both for your lenses prescription to work properly. Not being able to see can lead to injuries because even walking can be difficult.
4 Be more mindful of curbs or ask someone capable of catching you to stay beside you.
5 Even if it is better for the environment, don't take the hybrid on a road trip with four people and a tun of stuff. It is worth hurting the planet to avoid being that cramped.
6. Remember your con badge.
7. Get an in and out pass for the parking garage rather than paying the daily max several times a day.

Reno of Olde London Towne deserves to be more popular. I'd rec it on TV tropes but the don't allow explicit content to be reced.

Morello

Pro Adventurer
Thank you so much Cam - that picture is wonderful. Reno looks so damn pretty, and I love the way that Rufus' outfit works for any era with only minor tweaking. (I've got him in white in the next chapter). You even remembered that the dress is green, and the bustle is great! <3 :D

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Okay so Kassi and I are talking about Turks like we always do and I have a question that neither of us can figure out and please excuse me if this topic has been discussed already. Where did the term "Turk" come from? There name is Department Of Administrative Research so shouldn't their nick name be "DOAR"?.Let me know what you guys think!

Edit: I think I might of found it. According to this website http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/nameMisc.shtml which lists Final Fantasy Name Origins it says... Turks (FF7, term): During the 20th century, a New York vice crime group known as the Turks were an active organization. This could relate to the vice, mafia-like actions of the Shin-ra Turks.

Also... Shinra (FF7, term; FF10, character): (Also called Shin-Ra) Probably of Egyptian origin, translates into 'Dark God' and is used to describe a mythological creature similar to a vampire. Shin-Ra, Inc. is evil, hungers for power and seeks total world domination- hence 'dark god'. (Barret: "[Mako energy]'s the life blood of the planet. But Shinra keeps suckin' the blood out with these machines.")

Rufus
Latin for "the red one".
-Rufus has red hair.

Reno
"Leno" is Latin for "brothel keeper", "squanderer" or "pimp" (the letters R and L and monophone in Japanese).
-well...

Rude
English Synonym for "impolite"
–Rude doesn’t like to socialize and isn’t very talkative at all, so the name befits him quite well

Elena
An alternate form of Eleanor, meaning light.
–Perhaps because she has blonde hair?

Last edited:

Kassi

Pro Adventurer
AKA
tardis60, dephinia
I love the Turk discussion, especially the 'executive privilege' comment. So very Rufus. <3 <3 <3

But then I saw this:

(I have some amusing video of a Reno and Rude cosplayer, both male, the Reno was especially gorgeous, he's a dancer and sold for $800 at the Bishi Auction-it's a buy a date charity thing to raise money for the con-but they were giving fanservice to the girls at the con and Rude came up behind my blushing friend and put his arms around her, while Renos at on her lap and then Rude proceeded to stroke Reno's face as she blushed even more watching this. Yaoi con = yaoi fanfiction fantasies live and up close).

And my brain exploded like the Gold Saucer on Date Nite. There were gondolas and chocobos and Evil Dragon Kings and lots and lots and lots of happy fireworks all through my mind and my limbic system. And then followed up with the beautiful fanart.

...Happiness is a warm Turks thread.

<3
Kassi

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I'll ask my friend about getting that video clip up on youtube and link it.

Interesting line of thought Soak. I always thought Turks was in reference to Turkey or the Ottoman Empire, maybe with some link to assassin being an arabic word?

I'll add that Cissnei may be connected to the word swan, going with the beautiful thing.

Speaking of Rufus having red hair. That always confused me, because he looks blonde in the concept art and in all other entries in the compilation where he's present (Although I feel everything looks a bit paler/less vivid color wise in AC). So why does he have reddish hair in OG sometimes (and his hair color isn't consistant, am I the only one who noticed this?)

Ooo, nerd scholarship, my favourite thing! I was going to post a comment last night about the crime connection. "Turks" seems to be a well-known nickname for criminal gangs. There was also a gang in London in the 1950s (I think) known as the Turks. I'm not sure whether this is because Turks had a reputation for violence or whether it derives from "Young Turks" which is an epithet for revolutionaries. It comes from Kemal Attaturk (father of modern Turkey) and his group of young-ish Turks who led the secularisation of Turkey after the fall of Ottoman empire in the late 19th-early 20th century.

I always assumed "Rufus" came from his red head. On Reno and Rude I have nothing to add. "Tseng" is an ordinary Chinese surname.

Elena - &#12452;&#12522;&#12540;&#12490; - her name actually transliterates into Irina (Eeree-na) which sounds quite Russian.

And as we know, they look like Yakuza. I wonder if Square liked the word "Ta-kusu" because it has the same syllables and rhythm as "Yakuza". Of course there isn't a plural as we know it in Japanese, so one Turk is a Ta-kusu and many Turks is also Ta-kusu.

That's all I got.

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
i study latin, and once, when i was traslating some phrases, i founded something about barbarians' phisical appereance. it said 'barbarians are red-haired and tall and ecc' and it used 'rufus' for red. obviusly i was all a 'oh, there's Rufus in my homework! fangirl, fangirl,fangirl' and i started thinking about 'why Rufus is called Rufus'.
here my (strange) thesys:
(in Italy at least) there is the headcannon that barbarians are blond instead of red-haired and latin word and name sound like 'things for rich/royals' (and for japanese, exotic too) so maybe that's why the choose this name for Rufus. (maybe because i played OG after CC and AC, but i never ever though Rufus' hair as red)

Morello

Pro Adventurer
I think I read somewhere once that Rude was possibly a mistranslation and it was supposed to be Rudi (which apparently means 'famous wolf!'), but I don't know if that's true. Rude's an inappropriate name for him but maybe that's how he got it, as an ironic nickname. Once you get used to it though, it seems to fit, and Reno and Rude go well together as names.

Reno I always associate with the city and its gambling associations - maybe being a bit rough and lawless (sorry anyone from there - I've never been, so I have no idea if that reputation has any basis in fact.) OG Reno definitely fits the Leno = pimp theory though - he's the epitome of shady. My lovely sister bought me an "I <3 Reno" t-shirt for Christmas that came from the city of Reno!

I love the fact that the Japanese characters for Reno's name look quite like his tattoos!

OG Rufus definitely has orange hair in his little game sprite, but blond during battles, and he's almost ash blond in AC. Maybe Geostigma affects hair colour? I think Loki's right about Latin names - In England I think Rufus would generally be considered quite a 'posh' name, which fits with him being basically the heir to the world. The fact that it sounds like ruthless might also be a factor.

Elena can also mean ray of sunshine, which could be appropriate, unless you're her enemy.

I can't add anything about the name Tseng except that it suits him and reminds me of the sound of an arrow being released from a bow, or a bullet ricocheting.

I think Licorice is spot on with where the name the Turks comes from, and I love that point about the sound link with the word yakuza. I like to shorten Department of Administrative Research to D.A.R, because it sounds like dare, which seems appropriate.

Last edited:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
"Tseng" is an ordinary Chinese surname.

Like the golfer. What? Come on, Yani Tseng is amazing! (my family is into golf)

Tseng is actually the Twainese variant of the name Zeng. Zeng has many forms. In Cantonese, it is Tsang; in Taiwan, Tseng or Tzeng; in Malaysia, Chan; in Indonesia, Tjan; in Vietnam, T&#259;ng. The surname Zeng is the 32nd most common surname in Mainland China. It is the 16th most common surname in Taiwan.

I'm not sure if the name is related to the name Zheng, but apparently Zheng means "just, proper, government".

I can't add anything about the name Tseng except that it suits him and reminds me of the sound of an arrow being released from a bow, or a bullet ricocheting.

This reminds me of a joke my friend Trang told. "You know how asian parent name their kids? They throw pots and bans down the stairs and picking the sound they like best." (I hope repeating the joke isn't offensive to anyone, Trang is Asian herself so I doubt she meant it as racist).

I think Tseng is meant to sound more Asian while the other names are meant to sound more Western. So it marks him as different, as Wutain. My question is why did the writers choose to make the leader of Shinra's Turks Wutain? (other than making Shinra look like an equal opportunity employer).

I think Licorice is spot on with where the name the Turks comes from, and I love that point about the sound link with the word yakuza. I like to shorten Department of Administrative Research to D.A.R, because it sounds like dare, which seems appropriate.

I liked Licorice's not about plurals in Japanese. That explains why in the original game people refer to the Turks as plural even when it should be singlar. Vincent calls himself a former Turks. I also feel like the writers didn't want acronyms (possibly because they're hard to translate). SOLDIER, being all caps, seems like it should be acronym for something but it isn't.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Yaoi is an acronym. It means Yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi "No peak (climax), no fall (punch line/denouement), no meaning" or Point What Point, which described the content of the yaoi doujinshi. (Although yaoi has become an umbrella term for western fans interchangeable with slash to denote any homosexual pairing, it original was reserved for explicit content while shounen-ai originally meant romance. Ironically in Japan the umbrella term for gay romance is BL an acronym for Boys Love. So the English speaking fans are using a Japanese term while the Japanese term are using an English term).

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
some pics
ruderenokidsbyanimama.jpg
tumblrmbgje2kzkc1qjeyzq.jpg
sexyvincentturkbydkstud.jpg
tumblrlp8xqozyz91qjeyzq.jpg

i'm sure this is old, but never mind
turkbathbyanimama.jpg
tumblrmbvl4gqskz1qjeyzq.jpg

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
*hovers into view*

Enjoying this discussion on the etymology of Turk names. I'm sure I read somewhere that Tseng means 'grandfather' in Chinese.....I mean I know hes older than the others but not that old! :lol:

Cameo said:
I'm not sure if the name is related to the name Zheng, but apparently Zheng means "just, proper, government".

I prefer this explanation, also.... look how he spells his name in Last Order...

signature.jpg

*floats off back to reality*

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Turk related cosplay
So today I was looking at Licorice's Tumblr because she generally has Turk art and I saw this Rufus/Tseng cosplay picture and then realized it was a picture if my husband and I. I was like huh? Then my roommate was like, oh yeah at on when you and your husband kissed people started taking pictures. I got video...

This is what happens when you give into the temptation of PDA while cosplaying. Generally I've avoided being camera sniped because my husband is exceptionally observant and will notice people moving to take a picture at which point we'll generally offer pose and tell them to just ask in the future. At the point that picture was taken he was too distracted by me to notice.

Also small world, it turning up on Licorice's tumblr feed.

Edit: And to be clear, I'm not bothered by this at all. It was just surprising. Also that moment of that's nice...oh wait that's me

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I never got that huge materia thing at all. It was all 'we must stop shinra from using the huge materia' but no explanation at all. And once they get the huge materia they don't even use it, just store it at bugenhagens.

I mean, I get that it was really just a sidequest but it was just weird that they somehow assume that it wouldn't work y'know?

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I think it would have been refreshing if instead of stopping Shinra for the sake of stopping Shinra (if Shinra' doing it, we're against it) there would have been discussion about priorities. I think at the time stopping Meteor should have been the priority, even if it meant helping Shinra.

Actually a game where the heroes and the villains put aside their differences to work towards a larger goal would be refreshing. I guess we sort of get that in Advent Children.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
tumblr_mb9owrUa0f1r3oltco1_500.jpg

tumblr_mb9oqtVZKF1r3oltco1_500.png

tumblr_mceo2i7T7r1r2okpko1_500.png

tumblr_mc8ximbQtq1qjkrjwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mbf9wbinRS1rcnhoeo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mc5yb3qHnt1qjqv2uo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mceembVoB11rjextao1_500.jpg

tumblr_mbaaxjgZEI1rsm03co1_500.jpg

tumblr_mb24oj1FJU1r6fzjlo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mbcuzikn6B1r449hho1_500.png

tumblr_mbcuxePXrX1r449hho1_500.png

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Waiting for pictures of Vincent dressed as something cheerful and cuddly for the sake of defying expectations and being ironic.

Then I realize Vincent isn't a hipster.

Top Bottom