• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The General Turks Worship Thread

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Reno and Rude really would make the perfect buddy cop duo. The dynamic between those two is one of my favorite aspects of Turk fanfics.

The part of CoS where Reno throws a door at Rude had me in stitches especially, because there was a running gag about doors (really long story lmao, I can derail and explain if anyone wants) between me and my brother (the one who originally showed me FFVII) when I was in middle school that eventually culminated in him ripping a dilapidated door off its hinges as a "gift" for me. So naturally I immediately screenshotted the scene and sent it to him lol.

Last edited:
Ok here's some stills from the part in the trailer when Reno jumps from the helicopter onto the Sector 7 support pillar walkway.

1. He's in the chopper getting ready to jump:
Reno getting ready to jump from the chopper.jpg

2. As he descends he executes a perfect aerial somersault. I mean he's just showing off at this point:

Reno somersaulting from chopper.jpg

As you can see he's aiming straight at Cloud. Here's the look on Reno's face:

Reno face when jumping from chopper.jpg

And close-up of the moment he attacks Cloud:

Remake Reno descending on Cloud.jpg

Nice fingerless gloves my man.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Some gifs from tumblr
tumblr_pxo7qyM2J21s2wenvo1_540.gif

tumblr_pxo7qyM2J21s2wenvo2_540.gif

tumblr_pxo7qyM2J21s2wenvo3_540.gif

Edit: here's one of Reno standing on the Buster Sword

tumblr_pxo8n6ufEX1qf5hjqo9_540.gif

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I think they all look great. Reno looks how I imagine him - a cross between FFVII and AC - still boyish but not excessively baby-faced insofar as to not be taken seriously. I did squee. His lips look a little weird at times but it's not a big deal to me. Rude is a little less bulky but it's not super noticeable imho. We also got to hear Heidegger's Stupid Horse Laugh, a curiosity of mine satisfied.

Biggest concern are the voices - I may go Japanese audio on this. The AVALANCHE voices sound good to me (Jessie is probably the weakest link imho, but I love the rest of them; especially Tifa), but Reno and Tseng's voices sound a little awkward thus far.

I'm also not sure how I feel about President Shinra deploying himself as a hologram - I kinda liked seeing him in the flesh - it felt more raw that way. But perhaps they changed it to alter his character development.

With all that remains the burning question of:
Screenshot_2019-09-11_14-56-29.png

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
So today I was looking deeper into the seiyuu (Japanese voice actors) behind AC, especially the Shinra characters. I don't necessarily recognize VAs in different roles even though the same people crop up fairly frequently, so I was curious.

They pretty much all sing: not just Gackt. Seiyuu are often very talented professionals with impressive vocal breadth (other countries are slowly catching up).

Rude | Reno | Tseng
Rude's got some serious pipes.

I can't believe Elena's VA's range. I have seen some of these and I would have never have guessed that these characters were all voiced by the same person.

Rufus (Toru Okawa singing for FMA)
help​
tenor.gif

youffie

Pro Adventurer
A Very Turk Musical confirmed :desucait:

The idea that Elena is played by Junko Enoshima's VA really amuses me for some reason. :P Apparently she also voiced Paine from FFX-2 and Aqua from KH.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Elena appears in Part 1?

No, the first part is set in Midgar and Elena made her first appearance in the Mythril Mines. Reno, Rude and Tseng however will definitely be there since their first appearances were in Midgar.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
This was brought up on the discord recently and I'd been meaning to take the conversation to get people's takes/thoughts, but does anyone else think Reno looks a bit too clean and pristine in that trailer? As though he's well aware of his own sex appeal and plays it up for vanity? That's the impression I get anyway.

Personally, a large part of what I found to be so appealing about Reno's aesthetic and characterisation in the OG, was this air that he'd give off of effortless cool. Dude looks like he just rolled out of bed, got his breakfast of cigarettes and coffee, and threw on his clothes before getting on the job, which he is very good at and takes very seriously (most days lmao) despite coming across of giving little to no shits about anything.

In the discord, someone (I forget who oopsie doo, if you're reading this and recognise what I'm referring to, pls let yourself be known...!) was drawing a comparison to slack henchmen tropes in Yazuka films and I believe they posted this picture, which has stuck with me ever since.

IMG_6380 copy.png
Like... this is quintessential Reno right here for me. A bit unkempt, but certainly dangerous. Dude sorta looks as though he'd miss you if he took aim, haha... but he rarely does. He also looks as though he forgets to put a comb through his hair every now and then... whilst Remake!Reno doesn't go a day without the comb or the gel or his beauty masques...

ANYWAY despite all of this, I feel it important to point out that this is certainly not a 'dealbreaker' for me nor do I 'hate' what we've seen of Remake Reno neccesarily. It's more like,

"Yo, this guy served me a jelly doughnut with sprinkles and I prefer my doughnuts plain, however, food is food and I'm really fucking hungry so I'm gonna eat this jelly sprinkle doughnut anyway and probably enjoy it! Thanks, guy!"

Ya know!?!?!?!? Anyway, I wonder if anyone has had similar thoughts lol. :)

Unfortunately they have "glowed up" everybody in the Remake, taking them further and further away from the grittiness of the OG. Every single one of them has fallen into the uncanny valley.
I wish they'd made Cloud look like Prompto in FFXV. Like, you know, a real boy.
I am disappointed in all the Turks. Tseng looks like an alien with no jawbone; Reno looks exactly what you said, like he spends ages every morning arranging each gelled strand of hair; and Rude has been whitewashed which is the worst crime of all. I am no longer looking forward to seeing Rufus. Instead, I play Fire Emblem and pretend Dimitri is Rufus.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Yes to everything you said, @fancy. The unkemptness plus the creepy smirk/look in his eyes is what made the charm of the character for me as well, visually speaking. When I think of the Turks, and specifically Reno, I have to concede they’re a testament to Nomura as a character designer, especially when he doesn't go overboard with tons of unnecessary details and dumb accessories. If you look at the game, they all have few events when they get to speak or do anything at all, and many of those moments are optional (Gongaga, Wutai, the Gelnika) – yet, the Turks are all memorable enough, if not hugely popular in certain circles.

I remember points being made that while the fandom has usually clear ideas of how Reno should be and act, those ideas don’t necessarily have much basis in the original game, because we don’t see enough of him to have the whole picture. I think that’s somewhat true. At the same time, the little that we do have definitely makes an impression, and I think he owes a lot of his perception to his appearance in the concept art as well. I mean LOOK AT HIM, he barely has a nose, but his posture, his wild hair, his clothes, his cheekbones and the red marks under his eyes, the colors that just pop – his one concept design spoke volumes. I really hated when AC came out and part of the charm was ruined for the sake of prettiness and unfunny comic relief…

About the remake redesign, though. I think I also prefer the original, because you could look at him and not know whether to be scared or think he was a freaking idiot who can’t buy clothes that fit :mon: But I still get dangerous yakuza vibes from Remake!Reno, which I didn’t with AC. I especially liked when he jumped on Cloud from the helicopter for a killing hit – that felt very Reno to me, OG Reno. Honestly, I’m more disturbed by how thin they all look. Also, not a fan of Tseng looking so young.

Unfortunately they have "glowed up" everybody in the Remake, taking them further and further away from the grittiness of the OG.

While I don't necessarily agree on Cloud and the main gang because they kinda have to be more abstract to be that iconic, at least for me, I agree that the grittiness is a bit lacking on the Turks. Hopefully, seeing them in context with proper voice acting and that music will help.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I can personally deal with Rude being a bit thinner than he should be (though I do prefer him bulky.. that's an important part of his combat style) and Reno being a little more manicured (in the OG, Reno looked quite ratty in the concept art, but he actually had a semi frequent hair flick - not as dramatic as Rufus', but he did touch his hair a fair amount, which carries the implication of aesthetic awareness. The design/vibe is between OG Reno and AC Reno and I dig it).

Though the more I think about Tseng the more I feel that they have gone in the wrong direction with him. He looks like a boy - younger than Aerith, even. Many of the male FFVII characters have always been "pretty," but to impose that on other characters who were never depicted that way is obnoxious - longtime fans may be attached to them being that way, so it seems like they are trying to appeal to new, teenage fans at the expense of longtime fans.

As for Rufus, he has always been lanky and pretty, but unquestionably male. He was deliberately made out to be 25 when fans for years thought he was 20 or so, so I don't think they'll mess with his face's apparent age too much. I just want him to look in his mid twenties as he always has. Preferably strawberry blonde, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen, honestly, and I've mostly.. come to terms with it. At this point, I'm wondering about the costume - Rufus' clothing has always been fairly professional, but not stereotypical, and I hope they maintain that balance. Don't make him a pop star, and conversely, don't have him wear a tie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom