The Love Triangle Debate thread of KNEEL BEFORE ZOD OR SUFFER HIS WRATH (ignore the opening posts at your peril) (Round 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Just a quick nitpick, it cost about 45 million dollars to make. I think its marketing budget was even huge for its time.

Whoa, I didn't know that. Thanks. :monster:

But... 45 million dollars... for one game. :O

For that matter, I've never seen a quote where it says that Cloud loves Tifa. I've only seen quotes saying that their feelings match.

Their feelings match. Tifa OBVIOUSLY loves Cloud. Their feelings match, therefore, Cloud loves Tifa back.

Simple as cake. :monster:

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
And this is regardless of Cloud's feelings with Aerith, which I honestly have no issue with what people believe Cloud to have for Aerith. I honestly don't think Cloti's have sufficiently explained the "undying feelings" Cloud has for Aerith

I'm not sure what is confusing you here. They are pretty much described everywhere as guilt. The association with the church is about guilt (and forgiveness if you will).

because I don't think you can divorce the underlying romantic subtext for C/A and the absolute sway it has on Cloud's conscious anymore than you can when trying to write away Cloud-Tifa family dynamic.

The absolute sway romantic subtext had on his conscious? We take a walk in Cloud's conscious and sub-conscious. The only romantic subtext (which becomes text) is about Tifa.

The romance in C/A was all one sided. So it had a major effect on all her consciousnesses.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
"From now on, I think I'm just going to answer people who don't need to fling accusations at me unlike the prosecutor and the guy's lawyers and friends and answer those who actually debate like this person"

Wow, what a wise decision. What a way to prove your innocence.

Just corrected my grammar mistake.

Anyway, back to the debate. On a side note, assuming that Cloud did love Aeeith, I wonder why some Cleriths(again, SOME, not all) cannot accept the idea that Cloud can move on to Tifa while insisting that Aerith moved on from Zack.

Splintered

unsavory tart
The absolute sway romantic subtext had on his conscious? We take a walk in Cloud's conscious and sub-conscious. The only romantic subtext (which becomes text) is about Tifa.
Poorly worded on my part. I meant to say that Aerith still has sway in who he is, and many of the interactions are deeply personal- and that it's hard to see that without the underlying romantic tension that developed between the two.

Even if C/A was meant to be a red herring in the game, which I actually don't disagree with, it still supposes that there was romantic development and interactions. C/A has never been completely devoid of that subtext, regardless whether or not they ever had a relationship. Now I don't think he's like, omgIloveyou, obviously a lot of that interaction has her playing the role of spiritual guide rather than lover, but hey- not all relationships are single faced. It's why Tifa and Aerith have been able to be referenced as Cloud's "mother" or at least, motherly instances, but no one seriously believes that they have a mother-son relationship.

That guilt was a perversion of Cloud's memories of Aerith (and Zack as well). It almost destroyed his family and almost destroyed him, it's one of the reasons why C/A when considering it only from a strictly AC/C perspective is kind of... unhealthy. Because Cloud's relationship with Aerith was strong, but it was also encouraging and friendly- the guilt was a twisted version of the relationship and an anomaly that he got over. Just like the way that C/T's fight isn't what makes up C/T, it's the exception to the rule.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I definitely agree that Cloud and Aerith's relationship is indeed deep and that the guilt is a perversion of his memories of her. But the reason why I still do not think he "fell in love" with her is because Cloud did not display any intent like he did Tifa. Sure, I can consider him "falling for Aerith" (to some extent) but not "in love with her" because the Cloud of disc1 did not give me the impression of someone who is "capable" of it (though yes, it is possible). I do not see their relationship as that of "lovers" but more of something beyond that realm of possibility, as Splintered put it, a "spiritual" relationship, hence it's deep. That's what I picked up on my playthrough, what with their mirror lives and all. So I think he loves her in that sense... if this even makes sense.

But then, I'm about to hit the sack so my mind's boggled. :monster:

Vendel

Banned
Poorly worded on my part. I meant to say that Aerith still has sway in who he is, and many of the interactions are deeply personal- and that it's hard to see that without the underlying romantic tension that developed between the two.

But that's the thing. All the romantic tension was on Aerith's part. And implied for the player the first time through. But Cloud? Not really.

If he was not a headcase on disk one I would have no problem with just assuming there is romantic tension between the two. But Cloud is oblivious.

THAT is why it's a red herring.

Z

Zealkin

Zealkin

From now on, I think I'm just going to answer people who don't need to fling accusations at me and who actually debate - like Zealkin. Sorry I didn't answer you before this, Zealkin:
I don't think that's going to make things better :/ The others have some good points, and insults have been thrown on both sides I think.

I'll be dividing things into sections because there is a lot to get to.
Optionality stuff:
Where is there a quote saying that Cloud loves Tifa non-optionally? Where is there a quote saying that the HA version of the HW scene is canon?
There are plenty:

"She and Cloud came to realize their feelings for each other in the end of the story, and live together in AC and DC".

"Declares that the team should dissolve in the final hours before the final battle, and communicates his feelings together with Tifa, who remains behind at the airship with him." (FFVIIUO, pg. 15)

"When Cloud proposes that the group separates temporarily, she remains behind at the airship and communicates her feelings together with Cloud. " (FFVIIUO, pg. 27)

"When their companions disperse to the places where people important to them await, Cloud and Tifa are the only two to remain behind. They reveal their mutual feelings in their final hours, and......." (FFVIIUO, pg. 198)

"She communicates her feelings together with Cloud in the final stages of the story, and in AC and DC they live together." (CCU, pg. 33)

"Cloud and Tifa, who remain, reveal their feelings for each other and confirm them to match." (FFVII 10th AU, pg. 118; pg. 120 in the Revised Edition)

"And when Cloud and Tifa remain behind alone, in their final hours, they disclose that their feelings for each other match."
(U20 Scenario, pg. 232; main body of story summary)

Show me a quote saying that Cloud loves Tifa non-optionally, not just a quote saying that their feelings match. I've never heard of that, either.
the quotes I've provided do not talk about Optionality, and talk about the scene as if it has happened, I'd say that's pretty canon.

And nowhere does it say that Cloud loves Tifa non-optionally, nor does it say anywhere that the HA HW scene is canon. For that matter, I've never seen a quote where it says that Cloud loves Tifa. I've only seen quotes saying that their feelings match.
The scene had to have had an outcome, it isn't just left blank, so narritively the creators have told us time and time again which scene fills in said blank. It's not the LA scene.

"Declares that the team should dissolve in the final hours before the final battle, and communicates his feelings together with Tifa, who remains behind at the airship with him." (FFVIIUO, pg. 15)

there you go, and same things I've said above

Affection values

What SE tells us about the LA HW scene is that you get the LA version version if Tifa's affection rating for Cloud is low. In order for Tifa's affection rating for Cloud to be low, then Cloud has to act in ways that give negative values to Tifa's affection rating. If Cloud is acting in that way, then his affection for Tifa is low. That means their affection values match in the LA scene.
What many have tried to express regarding affection values, is that they actually make no sense. So when Cloud accidentally drops barrels on Aerith he hates her? wut?

I did that a couple of times on my first play through by accident, and I certainly did not want Cloud to hate Aerith.
Also is his affection low when for all four of his dates, since all four dates FORCE him out of his room?

Highwind Scene
Now, what SE says about the LA HW scene is that it's apathetic and ends short.

After stopping Hojo from going amuck, the conversation with Tifa before they rush into the Northern Crater diverges into two conditions, according to Tifa's affection rating for Cloud. When the affection rating is low, the conversation in the scene where they spend the night will be apathetic and ends quickly. ~page 198, Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega

Now, I was asked to give a reason that the scene is apathetic and ends short. I said it could easily be that Cloud's still in love with Aerith, and therefore not in love with Tifa. Tifa may not be interested in a relationship with Cloud because she knows he's still in love with Aerith.
And I've asked that you give me evidence that indicates that Clouds thought process went this way. Reason has fact behind it, you have to give me a quote that supports this otherwise it is not true.

Same with the HA version. There is no conversation about the two of them being in love during the HA HW scene. We see no confirmation about Cloud and Tifa loving one another in the HA HW scene. It was purely up to speculation until the FTOIL page put a pic of the HW scene under a title talking about Love Between Heroes. And even then, the FTOIL page specified that the scene is optional and that there are two versions by providing a link to a page where that's discussed in detail.
You have said yourself that the HA scene was romantic:

If there's two versions, and one version is High Affection and one version is Low Affection, it's obvious that the two versions are opposite of one another. If the High Affection is supposed to show that Cloud and Tifa love one another and/or want a romantic relationship with one another, then the Low Affection version does not.
Even if it optional one of them had to happen. Please prove to me that the LA scene happened, because Cloud love Aerith.
The Ha sceen happened because There are several quotes referencing it, and none of them talk about optionality, it IS the HA scene the quotes are talkin about because no feelings were communicated in the LA scene, as you have repeated yourself it ends short, no feelings are expressed.

Not only that but how would Cloud have Tifa in a different way, if he was already her friend? Why would they start a family together, why would they be talked about by their friends as an item, why would Tifa need to be left behind by a man? She would have to BE with one in the first place. The HA scene narratively coincides with the rest of the compilation. Because of these reasons, not my interpretation.

As for where it says that Cloud's not interested in Tifa because he's interested in Aerith, that's inferred in several places:

Deviation - Two versions of the conversation before the final battle
Prior to the final battle, the contents of the conversation between Cloud and Tifa can change depending on the degree of Tifa's affection. If the degree of affection is high, the contents of the two's conversation will involve deep subject matter and strong feelings for each other. As well, the sight of the two seen by their companions the next morning will lead to an embarrassing scene for Tifa, and she blushes greatly.
~page 232, Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania
Before the Final Battle (divergence):
After stopping Hojo from going amuck, the conversation with Tifa before they rush into the Northern Crater diverges into two conditions, according to Tifa's affection rating with Cloud. When it gets low, the conversation in the scene that they spend the night will be apathetic and ends short. Next morning in the cockpit, Tifa says “Were you listening?” and stamps on tiptoe. On the other hand, when degree gets higher, the conversation of the scene that they spend the night will have strong emotions. Next morning in the cockpit, Tifa will say “Were you watching?” and feels terribly shy.
~page198, FFVII Ultimania Omega
I see nothing talking about Aerith or Clouds behind the scene love when it talks about the LA scene. It says it ends short WHERE does it talk about Aerith? This is the page that has teh deviatios explained right? Why isn't this explained if it's supposedly true then?

If there's two versions, and one version is High Affection and one version is Low Affection, it's obvious that the two versions are opposite of one another. If the High Affection is supposed to show that Cloud and Tifa love one another and/or want a romantic relationship with one another, then the Low Affection version does not.
Yes I agree.

And one of the definitions says that "apathetic" means indifferent or unresponsive, which could easily indicate that both of them are indifferent to having a romantic relationship with the other.
The feelings that match quotes do not relate to the LA scene for a number of reasons.

The main one being that the scenes ends short, it even says on the deviation the difference feelings or indifference. That's not communicating that's not even bringing up that you don't want a relationship, that's leaving things as they are. Without progression romantically. It ends nothing is communicated.

Koibito:
Koibito can mean "beloved", which means it can be one-way. In that case, it was confirmed in Case of Denzel that Johnny is in love with Tifa:

Johnny ran a cafe in the main street. It was a humble establishment in a patch of open ground with a stall, some tables and a few chairs where he could do some simple cooking. The name of the shop was called Johnny's Heaven. It was a name that was similar to the diner that once existed in the slums of the Seventh Sector. That diner's name was "Seventh Heaven" which had a hostess that Johnny fell in love with. That girl's name was Tifa.
~Case of Denzel
It has been explained to you that the one sideded feelings do not apply to Tifa for a number of reasons.

You have said you are no expert at the Japanese language, someone tried to explain the mechanics of it to you before in a post, on why each koibito was different. So please if you are so set on this conviction of Tifa's koibito having a one sided meaning please explain it to me using your knowledge of the language. I am no native speaker so I rely on others to translate for me, someone has already explained to me why this does not match up with your interpretation, please explain to me why it does.

And as a side note: Johny was not in Advent Children, the reunion files talks about her roles in Advent Children, Johnny is NOT and never will be relevant(he's kind of a loser :/)

Reunion Files:

Now, if you look at the pages in the Reunion Files where it's supposedly talking about Cloud being in love with Tifa, there's absolutely nothing talking about romance between the two of them. On page 18, it says that Tifa has a maternal bond with Cloud:

Not only was she looking after Marlene and Denzel, but she also felt a certain maternal bond to Cloud, who is a big kid himself in some respects
. ~Reunion Files, page 18
That says nothing about romance - it's talking about a maternal bond between Cloud and Tifa
Let's look at the full quote:
Tifa was a very difficult character to create. Like Aerith she has a maternal side to her, but in a different sense.Not only was she looking after Marlene and Denzel, but she also felt a certain maternal bond to Cloud, who is a big kid himself in some respects.

BOTH Tifa and Aerith have a maternal side to them, and why is this a problem? This is definitely not the only feelings Tifa has for Cloud.

. On page 19, it says that she's a mother, sweetheart, and close ally in battle. Well, on the facing page, it said that Tifa feels a maternal bond to Cloud, so that accounts for Tifa being a mother - but where's there reference to Cloud being a sweetheart? There's not even a picture of Cloud on either of those pages.
We know however that's not the only bond she has with Cloud:

"Although there's a lot to Tifa's character she's like any other woman who's been left behind by a man. The director Nomura, said he wanted to make sure she wasn't a clingy woman, but to portray her as though she's been hurt emotionally in a way that others around her cannot easily detect. But Tifa has expressed her feelings plainly to Cloud a number of times.(Reunion Files)

Not only do you have to you know be WITH a man before getting left behind by one, Tifa is also said here to have communicated her feelings many times to Cloud already, which nullifies what you have continued to say about her wanting to love Cloud but holding back, she has communicated her feelings to him already.
Where is the reference to her kicking the crap out of Loz or fighting Bahumet Sin? Why does it matter what pictures they chose really?

Page 19 goes on to say:

Tifa's been with Cloud a large part of her life at this point ~page 19, the Reunion Files

Which isn't even true - they barely knew one another as kids in Nibelheim, which Tifa says during the Lifestream event. They were with one another during FFVII, but that only lasted a few months. She was with Cloud, Barret, and Marlene after FFVII while they were homeless and while they were building the new Seventh Heaven. Then they moved into the new Seventh Heaven, and Cloud leaves shortly afterwards. As I've had others say to me about the FFVII commercial - if one part isn't accurate, then why should we believe anything else?
How is this not accurate? She was with Cloud does not translate they were best buds at every juncture of their lives. She was with cloud during her childhood,(and she is stated to be childhood friends with Cloud) She was with Cloud throughout the game, and nurses him, she was with Cloud for two years creating a business and raising a family. How is that not correct? She has had lived most of her life with and around Cloud, and will continue to do so.
Then page 19 goes on to say:

... but she still doesn't understand some of the complexities of his heart, and this makes her uneasy. ~page 19, the Reunion Files

See anything confirming romance? I don't.

Page 20 goes on to say:

... she's actually very much like any other woman who's been left behind by a man. The director Nomura said that he wanted me to make sure she wasn't a clingy woman, but to portray her as though she's been hurt emotionally in a way that others around her cannot easily detect. ~page 20, Reunion Files

Nothing about romance there. Instead, it sounds to me like the woman in the LA version of the HW scene who's hoping that Cloud will someday get over Aerith.
Okay no where does it even mention Aerith. Tifa understands Cloud most but it is true she does not understand everything about him, like why he would go off alone away from a family he loved to die? Or why he would drag around an incredible guilt where she and her friends have moved on? And if we're going to play the guessing game we cannot accurately assume what those complexities are.

And the second half, you have to be WITH man to be left behind by one, so this hurts your case more than helps it.
And as a further add on if you don't believe the reunion files are accurate why do you continue to use them?
Later on page 20:

Tifa's a strong woman. She doesn't like what Cloud is doing, but instead of lecturing him about every little thing, she's been waiting for him to realize for himself what his actions are doing.
~page 20, Reunion Files

Again, no indication of romance. So just what is koibito on page 19 referring to?
So since the woman in COLW indicates her feelings for Cloud they also don't have any influence because Cloud input isn't even mentioned, nor is there a picture of Cloud near the novella?

Page 21 then goes on to talk about Tifa's 3D model for the film and selecting Ms. Ito as her voice actor. Nothing about romance.

So just what confirms that Cloud is Tifa's koibito?
Many many things, it's buildup, it's not just one event.
Page 21 talks about how Tifa has a huge burden herself, and says that the film doesn't give a clear look at what's going on inside of Tifa's head. It says there's one scene where she tells Cloud what's going on from her heart. Later, she feels guilty about it, but that was taken out of the final cut. Nothing to indicate that Cloud's her koibito.
How does telling Cloud whats going on inside of her heart not romantic?
She wouldn't just blurb that to anyone, it has to be someone she's comfortable with, like a koibito :)

Relationship after the game:
You don't need a romantic relationship to have relationship problems. You can have relationship problems getting along with a roommate, for example - whether or not you're romantically involved with that roommate. Tres and I have trouble getting along, and we're not romantically involved. Do we have a relationship? We used to be friends (or so I thought) while he was at the CxA forums and the Northern Crater, so yes - I thought we did.
There's a difference when it's mentioning relationship problems to two people that have been living together, know each other well, have a romantic scene communicating feelings together and raising children together. Lol I doubt you and Tres will go through that together. :P

To me, it came across as Tifa trying to help Cloud by offering to talk with him. When he says no, she loses her temper.
So how does that translate into I Tifa wants to communicate that she still has romantic feelings for Cloud wants to tell him but then she is rejected? She just wanted to comfort him, like you just described.

That quote isn't shown in association with that scene from the novella, though. I find it here: http://ultimania.ff7compilation.net/profile/tifa.php
It's in the Novella too:
"Tifa was able to cope with the sins in her consciousness. She hadn’t forgotten about them. Someday, the day may come when she will be punished. Until that day came, Tifa was going to look ahead and live. She was going to live, not just taking, but proving that she herself can give too."(CoT)

There's a different scene pictured with it.

Again, I don't see how that quote is associated with Cloud drinking himself to oblivion in CoT. It's talking about how the new Seventh Heaven was built in order to overcome her sorrow and guilt. Where's it say anything about Tifa offering to help Cloud while he's drinking in CoT?
It's not. it's in relation to how Tifa, as well as everyone else was moving on, while Cloud has not.
The bolded part is what I'm trying to get at, she is overcoming her guilt, when she sees Cloud still wallowing in his(after delivering the flowers) and not letting her in she gets angry, she is moving on, but he is not.

However, page 19 of the Reunion Files does say that Tifa doesn't understand some of the complexities of Cloud's heart, which makes her uneasy. Then it goes on to say that she keeps these feelings to herself for the sake of the children. If she's keeping feelings to herself, then why wouldn't she keep that from Cloud?
She does until she lectures him. That's where she lays everything down, he was wallowing, being inconsiderate towards her and the children's feelings so she snaps at him, it is here that she lays out her issues with his behavior.
Also, her profile in the 10th AU says:

Both of them share feelings for Cloud 」 -- Tifa was close to Aerith, who can also be called a love rival. With that point in mind, they were also good friends. Nevertheless, it is not hard to imagine that she carries complex feelings as a woman toward Aerith, who had built up a special bond with Cloud that was different from Tifa's.

Tifa's complicated feelings continue even in AC,
two years after Aerith had departed the world. This was due to the fact that Cloud, succumbing to the notion that Aerith's death was his fault and condemning himself, construed that Denzel was "the child which Aerith brought here" and took care of him. In addition, Cloud had also gone away to the church that Aerith had been in. The thing which she is unable to hide in her irritation towards Cloud is the fact that he isn't merely dragging the past around, but because that reason might perhaps be related to Aerith.
You're leaving out the "This was due to" part the quotes in itself explains why Tifa has these complicated feelings. And we can't play the guessing game and define what these feelings are.

If Tifa has complex feelings as woman toward Aerith, I haven't seen Tifa express that to Cloud - have you? To me, that means Tifa's keeping it to herself.
Your quote above explains why though, and what are those complex feelings exactly? We can't really assume what they are.
Completely disinterested? You mean disinterested in a friendship with him, too? I see no indication of that.
But they're already friends, they have been stated to be childhood friends a couple of times:

Apart from being Cloud's childhood friend, she is also the woman who understands him all too well and devotedly supports the mentally-weak side of him.

Possessing both the face of a woman and a warrior,
Cloud's Childhood friend.

You have seen the 10th AU, and Tifas profile. They were considered to be friends. So what comes after friends is?

Complex feelings:

And so does Tifa's 10th AU profile:

A close friendas well as rival?
The complicated emotions she feels towards Aerith.

Both of them share feelings for Cloud -- Tifa was close to Aerith, who can also be called a love rival. With that point in mind, they were also good friends. Nevertheless, it is not hard to imagine that she carries complex feelings as a woman toward Aerith, who had built up a special bond with Cloud that was different from Tifa's.

Tifa's complicated feelings continue even in AC, two years after Aerith had departed the world. This was due to the fact that Cloud, succumbing to the notion that Aerith's death was his fault and condemning himself, construed that Denzel was "the child which Aerith brought here" and took care of him. In addition, Cloud had also gone away to the church that Aerith had been in. The thing which she is unable to hide in her irritation towards Cloud is the fact that he isn't merely dragging the past around, but because that reason might perhaps be related to Aerith.
I answered this above, the quote that you provided answers your own question.

Page 19 of the Reunion Files says otherwise:

Tifa's been with Cloud a large part of her life at this point, but she still doesn't understand some of the complexities of her heart, and this makes her uneasy. Nonetheless, she keeps these feelings to herself for the sake of the children. (Nojima)
This is from a source that you supposedly don't trust, so do you trust it's information or not?

But I gave two quotes above where SE says that she's keeping things from Cloud. Her profile says that Tifa still has complex feelings as a woman toward Aerith even two years later in AC. Where did Tifa ever say that to Cloud?
She keeps things from Cloud to try and keep a peace in their familial structure, but that no longer works so she has to yell at him:

"Even though being burdened with painful "memories" is the same for everyone - Unable to do much for Cloud who is always dragging around his regrets for the past, she subconsciously raises her voice."(10 AU)
I said:
Where does it say Cloud and Tifa are not interested in each other because Cloud still loves Aerith? Please show me a quote.​
You said
Well, Tifa's profile says that Tifa still has complicated feelings toward Aerith two years later in AC. Sounds just like that situation to me.
that isn't even relating to the highwind scene. What does that have anything to do with it? Unless there is a quote that says the LA scene has Cloud feeling this way then what you're saying is not valid.

Love triangle's continuity:

Can Cloud love Aerith? For one thing, it's a love triangle. Aerith's FFVII profile says that the Love Triangle is between herself, Cloud and Tifa. Tifa's 10th AU profile says that Aerith and Tifa are/were "love rivals". Tifa's 10th AU profile says that Tifa's complex feelings as a woman toward Aerith continue in AC. Aerith's picture is shown with Cloud on the FTOIL page under a title about "Love Between Heroes". The FFVII commercial shows this:

Kitase said in one statement that Cloud wavers between the two girls in FFVII:

Kitase: When I first read Nojima’s scenario, I felt strongly that his image of a heroine was fresh. The hero didn’t have a typical personality, single-minded or righteous, and Aerith lived in the slums. Those things were really fresh. And having two heroines, Aerith and Tifa, and having the hero waver between them, at the time that was something new. ~Interview with the creators, pg. 8-13, 10th Anniversary Ultimania
Notice also that Aerith is said to be interested in deepening the Love triangle between herself Tifa and Cloud, she can't deepen anything once she is gone, you cannot continue a relationship when you're deceased.

There is no quote that says there's even a possibility of Cloud loving Aerith, affection values are irrelevant, don't relate to Clouds feelings, and don't make any sense really; the only one who has given input on Cloud and Aerith's relationship, is Aerith, and that was a one sided affection. Cloud and Tifa are said to mutually express their feelings with one another, something that Cloud and Aertih have failed to do. (please don't discuss optionality at this point, because I've discussed it further up.)

I could go on, but it seems pretty obvious to me that if Cloud's not in love with one of the girls, that he's in love with the other.
Woah woah, no where is that implied and you cannot assume that. No creator has ever said that and you cannot continue a relationship with someone who is deceased.

Tifas character:
And where did I ever say that Tifa was pining after Cloud? I said that Tifa may be hoping that Cloud will grow to love her one day, but does that mean she's pining?
Hoping that someone will love you one day is pining.
I just looked through my other responses to you, and I see nothing about Tifa pining. I won't bother going through the rest of my responses to other people, but I sure don't remember saying anything about Tifa pining. Pining infers suffering, and I see no indication that Tifa's suffering.
She's not suffering because she hopes that Cloud will love her, she's pissed off because Cloud has submerged himself in guilt, and almost died alone without telling her, I'd be pretty pissed If I were Tifa..
I was approaching the whole thing hypothetically as in Tifa actually never does pine and has no need to because she is already with Cloud, she does not need to pine after him if she is with him. She has already communicated her feelings, she is not trying to do so with Cloud because she already has, I mentioned it because pining is a weak characteristic one that you affiliated with Tifa, when saying that she is still pursuing an interest for Cloud.

And that's your perception of it, not mine.

If that's the way you want to see it, fine. That's not the way I see it.
However, Tifa's 10th AU profile says that she continues to have complex feelings as a woman toward Aerith even in AC. To me, that says she's still jealous of Aerith, which could easily imply that Tifa knows that Cloud still loves Aerith.
hmm are we filling in blanks here? Because I don't think we can assume that, they are blanks and the creators haven't told us so they cannot be solved. That means we cannot know who the woman was in COLW, we don't know who Tifa's beloved is, and we most certainly don't know what these complicated feelings are that Tifa has towards Aerith.

Okay, I've spoken about how Cloud's affection rating would match Tifa's affection rating to other people. But if you want to insist that it's only Tifa's affection rating that the Date Mech affects, why do Cloud's feelings match Tifa's if you get the High Affection version? Cloud's feelings don't match Tifa's in the beginning of the game, so how do Cloud's feelings grow to match Tifa's in the HA version if Cloud's feelings aren't also affected by the Date Mech? Why did Kitase say that Cloud can waver between the two females in FFVII if his feelings for Tifa are constant throughout the game?
Because Coud was A MESS at the beginning of the game his mind was scattered beyond belief, he was not himself, when Tifa pieces him back together then his feelings truly come to light. The feelings for Tifa were there but it was obscured at the beginning, when he regains himself, the feelings are too regained to their fullest.

I believe I explained that above.

It says right here when Tifa's feelings for Cloud started/developed:

Even though Cloud was holding feelings for Tifa from some time ago, Tifa's interest in Cloud did not start until the time when the Promise was exchanged. It might have been her loneliness due to her surrounding friends leaving one after another, but more than that, it seems largely in part to him making the promise to become her hero. ~Cloud's profile, FFVII Ultimania Omega
Interest. Does that have to be romantically inclined? It could simply mean that Tifa had taken interest that Cloud was going to do all of this for her, a little girl with huge aspirations.

Where does it say Cloud's feelings for Tifa continued? SE says that Cloud had a crush on her when he was a kid, and SE says that Cloud's feelings for Tifa can optionally match in the HA HW scene, but where does it say that Cloud continued to feel the same way for Tifa for the years he was in SOLDIER and during the time he spent in Hojo's lab?
"Nothing's changed kinda makes you wanna laugh"

He joins soldier for Tifa, and in Crisis Core he STILL expresses that interest, there is a scene with Zack that shows his interest is still directed towards impressing Tifa. He is still romantically interested in her during Crisis Core.

And I don't agree. I think it's referring to Cloud's feelings as a kid.
You have said before that you cannot speak Japanese, someone is explaining to you how it works, it's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing if the reasoning is right there for you to see.

I explained in the post. I said that Cloud wasn't the only boy in Nibelheim with a crush on Tifa. What got Tifa interested in Cloud? It says right here:

Even though Cloud was holding feelings for Tifa from some time ago, Tifa's interest in Cloud did not start until the time when the Promise was exchanged. It might have been her loneliness due to her surrounding friends leaving one after another, but more than that, it seems largely in part to him making the promise to become her hero. ~Cloud's profile, FFVII Ultimania Omega
What does that have to do with Cloud and Tifa though, Tifa is more interested in Cloud's little speech anyway, why are the other boys even relevant?

No, both of those paragraphs are talking about a particular scene where Tifa tries to offer help to Cloud. It's when she tries to help Cloud that she's reaching out to him.
A quote talking about Tifa being strong is here reaching out to Cloud?

And she doesn't in the LA version because she's not interested, otherwise known as indifferent.
Which is why she does not communicate feelings in the La version at all, nothing is communicated.

Was it? That's not what Kitase said about it:

Kitase-san is adamant that cultural art puts too high a value on the dramatically meaningful death, "In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently.' These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood." ~Edge, May 2003, interview with Kitase and Nomura
That's exactly what I was saying, why are you arguing against something I was agreeing with? O.O
I was saying Aerith's death was not used as a trampoline for Tifa to get Cloud, this quote does not prove me wrong.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
(Sorry I missed this, Tres)

I'm sorry about the date. I didn't know. :(

It's fine. I knew you didn't. I wasn't getting on your case for it. Just informing you, since that quote is a major thing Clerith arguments come back to.

aerbear said:
He says right there that Aerith's comrades have their own feelings and love for her. Cloud is also a comrade, so he must also have his own feelings and love for her as well that's separate from his guilt.

Cloud, of course, has love for her that's separate from his guilt. No one has disputed that as far as I know.

However, the onus remains on one who wants to argue that this love is romantic in nature to demonstrate that it is so. The quote itself isn't support for that particular claim. The "undying feeling" that always gets focused on in that quote and construed as romantic is the feeling identified as guilt via "relation to the church scene."

aerbear said:
The tricky part, for me at least, is they've never talked about this. The story itself glosses over it, but like I said, if the feelings were canonically romantic, I should think it would have been brought up - especially in CoT, because that novella is about her relationship with him. To actually address these feelings with him in a scene like that and never mention it again is a little strange - it would be a big leap for both of their characters, but it's ignored by them themselves.

I agree that it would be strange if they didn't address it themselves, but I do feel that they address it. Cloud especially, with comments like having Tifa with him in a different way than before, and knowing his new life will succeed "because I have you."

aerbear said:
Ariadne said:
One other thing: you keep saying Cloud had felt alone until the night under the Highwind, and that it's support he and Tifa could have confessed to one another. You dismissed most of my previous address to this, but even if you disregard all the previous moments support was expressed, you still need to provide reasonable cause to believe that Cloud was saying he had only just learned that he has Tifa's support.
"It's all right, Tifa. You said so yourself yesterday. At least we don't have to go on alone."
This is from the morning after the LA version. (Here)

That bit about them not having to go on alone shows up in both versions, though.

And, again, there's still no element of revelation there. Look at the comment from Tifa that Cloud's referencing: "But that's all right, even if no one comes back. As long as I'm with you... As long as you're by my side... I won't give up even if I'm scared."

What is revelatory about this? What in this would would cause Cloud to learn that he had Tifa's support that nothing else prior to it had?

Cloud reminding Tifa that she'd said they had each other when she starts expressing doubt is hardly an indication that he had only just learned this himself.

From now on, I think I'm just going to answer people who don't need to fling accusations at me and who actually debate - like Zealkin.

Concession accepted, Anastar.

You're a cowardly, butthurt shipper who's bitter her ship didn't float and has taken to trolling the people you so badly wanted to be wrong. You've done nothing here but whine that you're being ill-treated when people have expressed frustration at you being deceptive (quote mining, outright lying, etc.), teeter-tottering on what your position actually is (one minute you're claiming that you think this thing is open-ended, the next you're saying that an outsourced advertisement from 14 years ago is definitive proof that your fanon is canon), ignoring the details that prove you wrong (e.g. you literally never even addressed my explanation about the Japanese word "daiteita," you refuse to offer an even standard about the date mechanics, you continue referencing that goddamn commercial Sony made despite its hyperbole and the fact that their commercial for FFVIII had inaccurate information about that game's story), and just generally being disrespectful to people (only responding to certain posts, certain points, insisting on using that blue typeface, etc.).

I for one won't miss wasting my time with your nonsense.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
the quotes I've provided do not talk about Optionality, and talk about the scene as if it has happened, I'd say that's pretty canon.

She believes feelings were shared in both versions, just that the ones in the LA scene weren't ever specified. That's what she's going to tell you, that those not specified are about different feelings from love. And this one

"Cloud and Tifa, who remain, reveal their feelings for each other and confirm them to match." (FFVII 10th AU, pg. 118; pg. 120 in the Revised Edition)

is about the HA scene.

From now on, I think I'm just going to answer people who don't need to fling accusations at me and who actually debate - like Zealkin.
I feel bad that I lost my stance here as someone who doesn't accuse you of things because I stood up for my friends when you posted inaccurate information about them. You know I stood up for you when they did it to you as well, and I'm not someone who plays favorites and always takes one persons side if they offend me. If I feel someone steps out of line, I'll say something. I always have. I don't always say so in the topic but if you ask Tres, Ryu, Fairheartstife and EG about it, they'll tell you that I have told them to go easier on you numerous times. I even asked Ryu and Tres specifically if I could take you on one on one and pass the information to you that way so I could send our points to you without being offensive toward you.

I don't approve of the way you were treated here, but I also don't approve of people posting inaccurate information about my friends as a way to discredit them. That's the part I took issue with, not so much you posting wrong info. I'm not really an eye for an eye person. I used to be but revenge isn't my thing anymore. At least I try not to get angry about this stuff, I know I do sometimes, but I try my damnest to be equal here.

I'm just following the advice that I was given that people won't remember who was right or wrong, they'll remember who got angry :monster:

just my two cents on the matter.

EDIT

BTW
"Although there's a lot to Tifa's character she's like any other woman who's been left behind by a man. The director Nomura, said he wanted to make sure she wasn't a clingy woman, but to portray her as though she's been hurt emotionally in a way that others around her cannot easily detect. But Tifa has expressed her feelings plainly to Cloud a number of times.(Reunion Files)

Not only do you have to you know be WITH a man before getting left behind by one, Tifa is also said here to have communicated her feelings many times to Cloud already, which nullifies what you have continued to say about her wanting to love Cloud but holding back, she has communicated her feelings to him already.
Where is the reference to her kicking the crap out of Loz or fighting Bahumet Sin? Why does it matter what pictures they chose really?

Wasn't this quote said to be about her expressing her feelings about how he's acting lately or something?

Last edited:

EurAsianGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
FireMikoKagomechan
A Cloti and a Clerith?! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I last posted here but I just have to share with you guys this little gem I found. I actually found someone that's both a Cloti and a Clerith.... Yes that's right!! SOMEONE THAT SUPPORTS BOTH PAIRINGS!! Is the world coming to an end!? Or is the great LTD getting so old that people are just deciding to support both.

She's not a true Cloti though, anybody that supports Clerith can NEVER be a true Cloti, Cleriths are the enemy and if she really wants to be a Clerith then she should renounce her Clotiness and just leave us alone, we don't need any pinks among us, kthxbai.

(Besides, it's pointless to like both pairings seeing as how Cloti is actually canon and Clerith is well... not... I thought that was already established
)

Seriously though, who does this girl think she is, actually having the nerve to be a fan of both!! She should either pick a side or stick to it!! (Especially since Cleriths in general are just a joke to the whole FF7 fandom)

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
And this my friends, is why EurAsianGirl should be nominated for "Worst Topic Starter"

EDIT
no don't merge it, get rid of it. It's fucking retarded, just get rid of it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Merged EurAsianGirl's thread into the LTD thread.

EAG, please just stop with the Clerith-bashing shit right now. Like, ten-minutes-ago-right-now.

Not kidding. Any more of this nonsense out of you (I don't care that it's been a while since the last time) and you're getting moderated.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I think you guys should have a "Trash bin" or something like that. Maybe a "toilet" since it's crap... What she posted isn't even really LTD related.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I merged it in for a couple of reasons. I didn't want to delete it, because the next time she does this I want to be able to point to that post and my warning for it when I give her an infraction. Secondly, I didn't want to just lock it and leave it as an eyesore near the top of the most recent topics in the Compilation General forum for weeks until enough new topics are made to bury it toward the bottom.

I figure it can just be ignored and buried in the LTD thread a lot more quickly.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
You're too nice, Tres. I would've just given her an immediate infraction for trolling. I don't care how long it's been since she last posted. She's been warned for this shit several times before.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Moderation of the LTD has gotten lenient I see.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Seriously though, who does this girl think she is, actually having the nerve to be a fan of both!! She should either pick a side or stick to it!! (Especially since Cleriths in general are just a joke to the whole FF7 fandom)

BTW I just want to say that I like both couples just fine, I just don't think Clerith is canon. Guess I have some nerve huh?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
You're too nice, Tres. I would've just given her an immediate infraction for trolling. I don't care how long it's been since she last posted. She's been warned for this shit several times before.

Know what, man, you're right. I'm going with that.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
BTW I just want to say that I like both couples just fine, I just don't think Clerith is canon. Guess I have some nerve huh?
I think most of us like both couples just fine. In fact I would go so far as to say most of the fandom probably likes both couples just fine. I have no idea where EAG comes up with this shit.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think most of us like both couples just fine. In fact I would go so far as to say most of the fandom probably likes both couples just fine. I have no idea where EAG comes up with this shit.

Wait, EAG was being serious?:O

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Yeah she's done this before. Every topic she's created was "Lol cleriths r stupid!" I have no idea why she does this... I want to believe she's a troll, but the sad truth of the matter is, I'm pretty sure she's serious :(

I think most of us like both couples just fine.
So she could have been talking about any one of us? :awesome:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Wait, EAG was being serious?:O

Honestly, who fucking knows. But her behaviour in other threads and on other forums indicates that, if she is just trolling, she has put a meticulous amount of effort into doing so. She's apparently been doing this kind of shit for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom