The new "Ghosts" from the Symphonic Trailer

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
The Keepers of Fate will serve a vital function in the later games, presenting you a crossroads option during the infamous death scene of you know who. By complying with their will, you save that person.....but doom the planet in the process.

100% confirmed.

Okay, I'm joking around, but I think I have seen speculation that this whole thing might somehow be linked to that due to the 'fate' name. I doubt it, personally. I think they just seem like what Suzaku noted, extensions of Sephiroth. The name confuses me, though.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
New wild theory I'm running with.

These spooks have actually nothing to do with Sephiroth. They are actually derived from the Planet. They are the Lifestream's antibodies. The Planet, fed up with the festering wound in the Norther Crater, and with Sephiroth lodged deep inside it, has made a pre-emptive move and has already begun to target humans and cleanse itself.

Though I suppose you could throw in something about Sephiroth having gained control of them...

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
New wild theory I'm running with.

These spooks have actually nothing to do with Sephiroth. They are actually derived from the Planet. They are the Lifestream's antibodies. The Planet, fed up with the festering wound in the Norther Crater, and with Sephiroth lodged deep inside it, has made a pre-emptive move and has already begun to target humans and cleanse itself.

Though I suppose you could throw in something about Sephiroth having gained control of them...
They attack Aerith though.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
These spooks have actually nothing to do with Sephiroth.
The fact that they're swirling around Sephiroth in the game's key visual makes that seem pretty unlikely to me.

ff7r.jpg

Crackpot theory:

The Keepers of Fate are actually post-AC Sephiroth from the Compilation timeline, gone back in time to try and "correct" the timeline more in Sephiroth's favor. At this early stage they only have pure instinct, but as this timeline's Sephiroth is awakening so will alternate-timeline Sephiroth. As the Keepers of Fate become more lucid, they will bring with them the knowledge from the Compilation timeline and FUCK SHIT UP!

Okay I don't actually believe this I'm just having fun with a crackpot "Planet Days of Future Past" scenario. :monster:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The fact that they're swirling around Sephiroth in the game's key visual makes that seem pretty unlikely to me.

I did say wild theory.

But if I was to run with it, though their goal from the Planet is to be antibodies and eradicate the taint, i.e human life, they are struggling to work out where Aerith falls on that side of the coin (as someone else mentioned, we didn't actually see them attacking her in that scene) and the same would go for Sephiroth. Everyone else is fair game.

Or, like I mentioned in the final sentence, all of the above, but just add that Seph now has control of them. Either scenario works with the key visual.

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
With the new update of the official website have appeared new translations of these spectres:

https://ffvii-remake.square-enix-games.com/en-us/story

United States
United Kingdom
Denmark
Finland
Norway
Sweden
Australia
New Zeland
Canada
Netherlands
"swirling shadows"

France
Belgium
"les gardiens du destin"

Italy
"i custodi del fato"

Germany
"Die Hüter des Schicksals"

Spain (as always against the tide and without leaving too much to the imagination :wacky: )
"los Ecos del planeta" in english "Echoes of the Planet"

Last edited:

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
My theory is based off of the spanish translation, which calls them "Echos of the Planet." Basically, the Planet has certain mechanisms to defend itself. But now that Sephiroth is distorting the Lifestream, these "echos" (hooded figures) are being distorted by Sephiroth. These creatures are tasked with keeping Cloud on track, as he makes his way back to the Reunion to join Sephiroth (having Jenova cells and Jenova's will inside him now). Anyone who poses a threat to that will be attacked by them - like Tifa being pulled away by them, Aerith being surrounded by them.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Oh dear. There's me thinking they wouldn't fuck around and shoehorn in a load of extraneous bullshit. ?

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
My thoughts about the "Echoes of the Planet":
As I'm still going with the theory of the hooded shadows being Lifestream spirits corrupted by Jenova cells, echoes probably stands for "not the real thing", like an echo. Corrupted Lifestream energy doesn't belong to the Planet anymore. They're mere echoes of the entity they once belonged to, the Planet.

Not sure why the Spanish translation went with something different. Maybe the Spanish translation team decided to go with their own interpretation of what they are according to the story instead of transliterating "Unmei no Ban'nin" like the other translation teams did.
(Or they were told to go with that name to play with the fan base and provide another hint *conspiracy theory*)

Top Bottom