The new "Ghosts" from the Symphonic Trailer

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Cloud is not actually a Sephiroth Clone, but actually Cloud Strife who grew up in Nibelheim and got beat up a lot. I thought this plot point was pretty clear by now. Sephiroth is lying to him to dehumanize him and remove his sense of agency.
He is a Sephiroth Clone -- but "Sephiroth Clone" doesn't mean "genetic duplicate of Sephiroth." It just refers to someone who was used in Hojo's Sephiroth Clone Project to test his Reunion Theory.

I predict that Cloud's encounter with Sephiroth takes place right after Reactor No. 1 explodes and right after the rest of the team have ditched him, and right before he runs into Aerith for the 1st time, making those wraith things much more specifically associate with him. My guess now is that they are his dark energy or manifestation of his will or whatever.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Interesting theory I read on reddit.
The "ghosts" are exactly that, they are the fragmented pieces of consciousness from the lifestream that cling to cloud due to his extreme mako poisoning. Mako being part of the lifestream meant that clouds essentially infested with these pieces of consciousness and aeris being an ancient is able to communicate with them or in this case manifest them.

At this point (that we know about) Aeris has never had a direct interaction with the lifestream e.g been exposed to mako in a condensed form or a lifestream vein. So when she touches cloud her inate powers as an ancient allow the fragmented pieces of consciousness to manifest as a physical manifestation of their former selves.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Interesting theory I read on reddit.
The "ghosts" are exactly that, they are the fragmented pieces of consciousness from the lifestream that cling to cloud due to his extreme mako poisoning. Mako being part of the lifestream meant that clouds essentially infested with these pieces of consciousness and aeris being an ancient is able to communicate with them or in this case manifest them.

At this point (that we know about) Aeris has never had a direct interaction with the lifestream e.g been exposed to mako in a condensed form or a lifestream vein. So when she touches cloud her inate powers as an ancient allow the fragmented pieces of consciousness to manifest as a physical manifestation of their former selves.

Perhaps it's a combination of Cloud's former-self in pieces before the Mako Poisoning and maybe Zack's spirit trying to call out to her for help or something since they seem to be coming from Cloud, but parts of Sephiroth and Jenova corrupted them to look like that and make things more difficult.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
You could argue that the entire lifestream is corrupted due to the jenova/sephiroth influence but you can also argue that the lifestream corruption could be because of the mako reactors forcibly ripping out the spirits from the planet.
If this is a reflection of mako poisoning then it's safe to assume the "ghosts" would be fragments of their former selves that have been forcibly ripped from the planet and processed by the reactors before clinging on to cloud.

Literal shadows of themselves.

New info provided by Hian, transmitted via Chip.

Hian

"Apparently, the black shadows that surround Cloud and Aerith are called Guardians of Destiny, or Unmei no Bannin 運命の番人

According to the official Japanese FFVIIR site

I did a google search, but this term is not associated with any OG walkthroughs or wiki articles etc in Japanese, so it doesn't seem to be a concept taken from the original"

-https://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffvii_remake/

So apparently the swoosh-swoosh are something totally new, neither the ghosts of the damned or JENOVA bits.

Scroll down to the "Story" summary on the official JP website and you'll find the name there.

Hxg67xJ.png

I hope it's just a flashy name that doesn't imply any fate-manipulating entities who exist outside of the timestream or whatever. That would really, really...not be a good concept to shove into FF7.

A few concepts are popping into my head from the name "Guardians of Destiny" and I don't like any of them. I am now, officially, truly concerned about the FFVIIR plot.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Guardians of Destiny..?

Wow. I have no idea what that even means.

LoL I guess.. We'll find out soon... And I highly doubt there's going to be any sort of plot line regarding a literal changing of destiny. That just doesn't even make sense.

This story is taking place in Midgar... Not the Historia Crux. :mon:

I just think it's a fancy title for them. And I still think they have a connection to Sephiroth... Why else place those things next to him?

Maybe they are the "Guardians of Destiny" because Sephiroth is LITERALLY the chosen one, as foretold in an ancient prophecy. Their role is to guide the chosen one, Sephiroth, to godhood?!

PLEASE DON'T LET ANY OF THIS BE TRUE

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...What ancient prophecy?

The one his Mommy wrote for him?

Cause he ain't no Ancient. He's a test-tube hybrid space alien baby.

Just knowing their name doesn't confirm or deny their connection to Sephiroth or even explain what they are. That's just a name.

Those things having that name doesn't imply a literal "fate" that's being threaded or whatever. Unless you believe Goddess Etro is now pulling the strings and everything's predetermined?

I think they're some sort of spirit of course but, they're obviously malevolent, going by their appearance. But the name is just a title. Like the giant planet monsters being called "weapons."

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't know what to expect it to mean, but it's funny: for the first time, all my prior expectations about what overall path the remake will "have to" take -- the story beats and plot developments of the original -- have been expunged.

I'm no longer certain if we should expect all the original sub-plots (e.g. Dyne, the Cave of the Gi, etc.) or even quite the same main events and ending.

All that just by three words.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
As a follow-up to my previous post, I want to quote this post @Cannon_Fodder made just a few minutes ago:

Now that we know the first game is set entirely in Midgar, I'm curious to see if they move some events from the OG world map into Midgar. Like, maybe you run into Yuffie in a back alley and recruit her there, or Cloud tells the party about Nibelheim in Midgar, rather than in Kalm.
That might be a good way to expand the Midgar section while also making the next part a little more manageable in terms of development resources and time.

Prior to this "Guardians of Fate" thing, I wouldn't have thought any of this was too possible. But seeing what a change we already have -- who knows!

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Guardians of Destiny. G.O.D.

Sephiroth plans to become a God.

Ergo they are Sephiroth.

But Sephiroth has never operated through snappy wordplay before.

Thus this new rebooted Sephiroth is a character altogether different from the Sephiroth of old.

More streetwise... More lingual... It's the G to the O to the D. Y'all can call me Sephy C. Cause my mom's surname was Crescent. And she never learned her lesson. Fuckin' round with Jenova, now her kid causing havoc all over. Plate sidddddeeee!!! Yo!

Rapiroth

Top Bottom