The new "Ghosts" from the Symphonic Trailer

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I sure hope its something like mentioned in the original quote, but I have a feeling its going to be monsters manifesting like with those black daemons/monsters the advent children summoned.

Attachments

• Tifa_fighting.jpg
    Tifa_fighting.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So what exactly does Fate have to do with FF7? When I think Fate, I think of a few things: destiny/predestiny, the invisible/imperceptible machinations of a deity upon the universe, or a feeling of purpose.

What exactly is Fate in the FFVII universe, why does it have four wraith-like Guardians, and how does that affect the story?

Perhaps the questions that I place most importantly are: have they asked themselves these questions? Do they care?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Naw, it ain't that complicated.

One character sorta mentioned "fate" before. And how he guides a certain-someone like a puppet. A puppet you could say is, fated to move towards the pull of their strings.

Considering who they're connected to, I think their purpose and meaning becomes clear and why they'd be called "guardians of fate." When they appear in front of Cloud and the others, they're ensuring Cloud meets the fate he's supposed to face.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Sounds hokey, I don't dig 'em :monster: They seem like something that would be better served to appear in a Dissidia spin off story. Things that ensure those fated to battle in the cycle do so for all eternity, kinda thing.

I'll not shit on them too much cause hey, I could be wrong and Square could pull them off perfectly, but they're the first thing I've seen in the Remake that look like a wholly unnecessary change to the story.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I'm undecided on them until I hear more about what they actually signify.

I'll just note that Aeris is the one that asks for help in regard to these guardians of fate (at least in the English translation?). It's possible that they are actually connected to her rather than to Cloud. This might in turn lead to the possibility of going against fate and stopping a certain tragic moment. I think I saw that sort of speculation elsewhere, surprised it hasn't been touched on much here. Too early to really say what any of it means, though.

Yellow lilies do not symbolise reunion in anybody's language of flowers.... Except, I guess, the Gaian language of flowers.... But guess what? In the western language of flowers, yellow symbolises... friendship, thankfulness, and the desire for enjoyment!

I kind of liked the way the OG brought Cloud and Aerith together through sheer force of coincidence.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I kind of liked the way the OG brought Cloud and Aerith together through sheer force of coincidence.
But it's still the case in the Remake! The Watchmen of Fate have no bearing on their meeting on the street, the same goes for Cloud falling through the roof of Aerith's church. Maybe I misinterpret you? In that case, I apologize!

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Present theory: Sephiroth’s Will is contaminating the lifestream, causing wraiths to appear. They’ll appear a few times before the Train Graveyard and a Quest involving them will bloat expand and deepen the graveyard section. We won’t learn who is behind the “disturbances” until the climax of Part 1, when the wraiths all swirl in a circle and become Sephiroth.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I think that's about what to expect from them. Extensions of Sephiroth's will, whether he's controlling them directly or just disturbing spirits in the Lifestream.

I think it'd be a good way to elaborate and justify things like the train graveyard ghosts, but they can also be built up more as a mystery, too. Like, what would Avalanche perceive "ghosts" to be? And Aerith? Is the Planet fighting back, is the Lifestream being polluted, are they tormented by regret?

They could be a recurring element assosciated with Sephiroth, part of the Reunion, or they could just disappear after he takes control of Jenova's body.

The only wrinkle in that theory for me is the term "Keepers of Fate" which implies a greater importance and perhaps even autonomy.

Top Bottom