The Official TLS Movie Night Thread

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
HAHAHAHAHA KEEP YOUR HOPES DOWN PLEASE, IT'LL MAKE THE EXPERIENCE ALL THE BETTER.

THIS MOVIE IS SHIT TBH

SEE YOU SATURDAY YAAAAY!!! <3 <3 <3 :joy:
Wellllll I don't have to pay attention innit ;)

USERS WERE BANNED FOR THESE POSTS.

DAMN IT I’m going to miss this :sob:

Fear not...I will assign someone to be my drinking GM delegate with full rule making authority.

evil-smirk-gif-4.gif

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
So I completely spaced and forgot what day movie night was happening. Also looks like you were starting at 2am my time, so... :monster:

But I will try my best to show up for the 2nd or 3rd showing of Princess Bride!!

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
f10426da96dbdb028c4c734102b5e4b3.png
NOVEMBER MOVIE NIGHT!!
f10426da96dbdb028c4c734102b5e4b3.png

The people have spoketh and the theme for November's Movie Night is: Cult Classics. The "Night" will take place on 24th November from 12:00 UTC - 04:00 UTC (The Next Day). Announcements for the schedule will happen on the 17th. For now, NOM NOM NOM NOM. I'll whip up a survey for voting on the 10th. List of nominations will be on the front page of this thread.

BUT WAIT

@Val had some interesting views on what makes a cult classic on the discord once upon a time and now I’m hoping he’ll humour me by bringing up those arguments again.
:kermit::watchingu:

BUT LIKE, NO PRESSURE FAM
489458038676258826.png

Oh yeah, and a film that has already 'won' last Movie Night can't be nominated again for this movie night. You're gonna have to wait for December. Derp, I'll make this clearer when I have time.

kk go nuts, y'all! :wacky:

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
AMERICAN PSYCHO

FUCK SHIT WHAT ELSE WAS I TRYING TO THINK OF.

That's all for now, I got so excited, I blanked. :okay:

Val

Pro Adventurer
Ok I will attempt to humor but I'm not ARGUING :wallbanger: :wacky:

I am bringing up the question of whether something being a cult classic once (that is once having a strong, cult following), is still considered a cult classic if it becomes mainstream - if it is a cult classic at one point, will it always be?

Something else I'd ask is if having a cult following and being mainstream are mutually exclusive. Probably not, in my opinion, but it would suggest anything that has a particularly dedicated fanbase is a "cult classic" - hello Marvel's entire catalogue.

Either way the term is fairly nebulous. In truth. I saw Pulp Fiction as a cult classic - and I can understand why - but then again... "Pulp Fiction won the Palme d'Or at the 1994 Cannes Film Festival, and was a major critical and commercial success. It was nominated for seven Oscars, including Best Picture, and won Best Original Screenplay; it earned Travolta, Jackson, and Thurman Academy Award nominations and revitalized and/or elevated their careers. Its development, marketing, distribution, and profitability had a sweeping effect on independent cinema."

(yes I c&p'd that from wiki and I am not removing the links)

So I suppose my point is... what counts as a cult classic? :P

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Ok I will attempt to humor but I'm not ARGUING :wallbanger::wacky:

I am bringing up the question of whether something being a cult classic once (that is once having a strong, cult following), is still considered a cult classic if it becomes mainstream - if it is a cult classic at one point, will it always be?

Something else I'd ask is if having a cult following and being mainstream are mutually exclusive. Probably not, in my opinion, but it would suggest anything that has a particularly dedicated fanbase is a "cult classic" - hello Marvel's entire catalogue.

Either way the term is fairly nebulous. In truth. I saw Pulp Fiction as a cult classic - and I can understand why - but then again... "Pulp Fiction won the Palme d'Or at the 1994 Cannes Film Festival, and was a major critical and commercial success. It was nominated for seven Oscars, including Best Picture, and won Best Original Screenplay; it earned Travolta, Jackson, and Thurman Academy Award nominations and revitalized and/or elevated their careers. Its development, marketing, distribution, and profitability had a sweeping effect on independent cinema."

(yes I c&p'd that from wiki and I am not removing the links)

So I suppose my point is... what counts as a cult classic? :P

Ermergerd, after you brought up this argument on discord, I was going through it every now and then in my head and I do believe I see your point! I suppose it all boils down to personal definition and the boxes you think a film has to check off. :wacky:

I think it takes more than a dedicated communal following to define a film as a 'cult classic.' As you said, by that definition, Marvel's entire catalogue would count as cult films... and other works like the Harry Potter series would count then, too, eh?

What separates successful 'cult classics' such as Pulp Fiction and Fight Club from other majorly successful films (that are just considered 'mainstream') is the content of these films. What folks consider cult films tend to gravitate towards the strange, surreal, and metaphysical, eh? Methinks that's why hipsters pride themselves in loving these films because they're so much more obscure and strange than more formulaic mainstream films. Like, these hugely successful 'cult' films might've been a gamble at the box office because they veered so far from safer movie formulas. And that's why they continue to be celebrated as cult films.

I also think you can spot a cult classic by gauging whether or not it's stood the test of time. Like, even after all these years after it's release, is a dedicated audience still ready watch it with their friends? Are new folks being introduced to these classics because it's actively being celebrated and watched after all this time? This is why shite like Rocky's Horror Picture Show counts as a cult classic methinks. It's pretty mainstream and everyone knows about it, but there are theatres everywhere that replay the film religiously with an audience that go through a whole little ritual whilst watching the film. Sometimes they might bring a friend and mayhaps the friend will walk away 'indoctrinated' :P

I feel like I'm rambling.

tl;dr: it was the doinking hipsters.

I say Serenity counts as a cult classic and we should all watch that and cry together.

Is that that Firefly movie??? Cuz I still haven't seen the series (don't hurt me pls.. pls)

Also I forgot to nom, unless you were counting American Psycho as my nom. Is it 1 nom per person?

Nah fam, go nuts!!!!!!!!!! It's nice to have variety and more doink to weed out.

I nom Cube.

Never heard of this doink. I'm excited!!

Last edited:

Val

Pro Adventurer
Ermergerd, after you brought up this argument on discord, I was going through it every now and then in my head and I do believe I see your point! I suppose it all boils down to personal definition and the boxes you think a film has to check off. :wacky:

I think it takes more than a dedicated communal following to define a film as a 'cult classic.' As you said, by that definition, Marvel's entire catalogue would count as cult films... and other works like the Harry Potter series would count then, too, eh?

What separates successful 'cult classics' such as Pulp Fiction and Fight Club from other majorly successful films (that are just considered 'mainstream') is the content of these films. What folks consider cult films tend to gravitate towards the strange, surreal, and metaphysical, eh? Methinks that's why hipsters pride themselves in loving these films because they're so much more obscure and strange than more formulaic mainstream films. Like, these hugely successful 'cult' films might've been a gamble at the box office because they veered so far from safer movie formulas. And that's why they continue to be celebrated as cult films.

I also think you can spot a cult classic by gauging whether or not it's stood the test of time. Like, even after all these years after it's release, is a dedicated audience still ready watch it with their friends? Are new folks being introduced to these classics because it's actively being celebrated and watched after all this time? This is why shite like Rocky's Horror Picture Show counts as a cult classic methinks. It's pretty mainstream and everyone knows about it, but there are theatres everywhere that replay the film religiously with an audience that go through a whole little ritual whilst watching the film. Sometimes they might bring a friend and mayhaps the friend will walk away 'indoctrinated' :P

I feel like I'm rambling.

tl;dr: it was the doinking hipsters.

Is that that Firefly movie??? Cuz I still haven't seen the series (don't hurt me pls.. pls)

Nah fam, go nuts!!!!!!!!!! It's nice to have variety and more doink to weed out.

Never heard of this doink. I'm excited!!

Yep, I think content of the film counts but does not strictly define cult classics, so part of the reason why I consider the term nebulous. You can definitely have cult blockbusters. I think it's probably easier to "feel" when a film is not "cult". Gone Baby Gone is not a cult film. The Departed is not a cult film. Gone with the Wind is not. But in truth they *can* have cult followings so... I don't know! I guess in the end just try pick something unique, obscure or not, that has at least *some* qualities that make it distinct from classic hollywood system productions and deal with subjects that are more abstract or artistic, or deal with subjects in a way that is more abstract or artistic.

Anyway, I will nominate... 5 films?? :P

- American Psycho
- Oldboy
- Ghost in the Shell (1995)
- A Clockwork Orange
- True Romance

None of these are proper "culty", they're all pretty renowned (bar American Psycho which is just popular) films but various cult classic elements to them. Not much of a *really* cult classic sort of person as far as obscure independent stuff goes.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
<3

Just a reminder that the mini Princess Bride marathon is happening in like... 14ish hours.

Here's the schedule agaaaaain.

(in UTC)
17:00 - 18:45: The First Showing of The Princess Bride

18:45 - 19:45: Hour Long Intermission

19:45 - 21:30: The Second Showing of The Princess Bride

21:30 - 22:30: Hour Long Intermission

22:30 - 00:15: The Third (and potentially final) Showing of The Princess Bride

00:15 - 01:15: Hour Long Intermission

01:15 - 03:00: The Definite Final Showing of The Princess Bride

If you need to convert the utc to your offset, you may refer to this sheet here!

See you all soon (I hope :wacky:)!

nomming: 'The Big Lebowski'

Last edited:

Ghost X

In no particular order:
  • Battle Royale
  • Blade Runner (Final cut?... whatever the best one is).
  • Brazil
  • Withnail and I (so I can finally know wtf Sledged is talking about :P).

Top Bottom