he/they
AKA
Tets
1148750_740290405987534_1193986929_n.jpg

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I'll go watch it in the Philippines. I'm pretty sure it'll be balanced with dudes and hot chicks wanting to get a look at thor and loki. :B

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Making-of videos:

I won't be able to watch it until it's out on DVD, so the very day they release it I'll keep myself away from most places from the Internet, because I feel I've spoiled myself too much already *le sigh*

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Apparently some reviews describe the movie as "A Tom Hiddleston show". I didn't expect less :awesome:

Now I'll have to wait and shun most of the Internets away until I can watch it.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Saw the movie and felt it was a big step up from the first one. :p

Also, a heads up: There's both a mid-credits and post-credits scene. :thor:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
That heads up is greatly appreciated, even though I always stay through everything in all Marvel films. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
As you should. :thor:

The mid-credits bit has me excited for things to come.

I just read Alan Taylor himself was not too happy with that scene though. It also wasn't directed by him.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Okay... I was honestly entertained but a bit disappointed. The movie left me with conflicting feelings

I felt that Odin's sudden level of jerkness is not a very good plot device, I dislike Frigga being fridged in that way. There's so much potential in her involvement in Thor's life but they killed her in favor of reuniting the brothers.

The last Thor is a good journey of Thor from haughtiness to humility and him growing to a rightful king. The main appeal of the first movie is that it's mostly about family and the characters are well fleshed. Thor 2 felt like a generic "evil villain wants to destroy the world" movie to me.

I expected that they will play the angle where Thor would be conflicted by his feelings for Jane and his responsibility as the ruler of Asgard, and there's the immortal and mortal love story angle. They didn't tackle this very much and all we get is an angry Odin. Thor was the fish-out-of-water in the first movie and I expected Jane to be this in the second film, to serve as a audience surrogate to the wonders of the universe.

In that aspect, I'm disappointed with how Jane was handled. She didn't take off from her character last movie, she's the wide-eyed scientist who fell in love with a god and that's good! But it's either she gets conflicted on being with Thor on Asgard and serving as his lover OR it should be her being content on her life as a scientist and thinking that even she and Thor are apart they have the mutual love or whatever. Nope... nothing like that is played or even discussed. We get her awesome scenes of sass and intelligence but I want character exploration more than badassery.

Back to Thor, his conflict as a rightful king vs what he thinks is good for him and the realm isn't satisfying enough with me. The movie didn't build this up at all and in the end I felt his reasons for refusing the throne isn't that clear and justified... unless this is going to bite him back in the next film.

Loki never fails to deliver! Still an excellent villain but IMHO the film tried so hard to make way for him to appear again for the sake of fangirls. I would have liked his arc to end at that movie, redemption or fall from grace is fine with me as long it justifies the story. Three films for a villain is too much IMO >_>

Then the space elf villain... I didn't get anything from him except that he's a space elf.

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer

They basically nailed what I think of Thor.

I'll probably see The Dark World when it premieres here next week, thanks to Doctor Who Eccleston is now another reason for me to see the movie.

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
FUCK, not only I must still wait 12 days, but few days ago i got i spoiler. i mean, they told me that
FRIGGA DIES!
. totally out of the blue! at least i hope that
loki, being always a mama boy (in the original myths he's the only Aesir who use the name of his mother instead of his father (yeah, Laufey is his mother)) get so angry to the point that Anakin pales

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Fucking LOVED it. Thor is always the most important of the MCU films because it sets the tone for the more far-fetched things. The first film does this for the Magic/Science crossover that allowed everything to mesh smoothly, and this one really sets up the whole tone of the rest of the universe/multiverse for Guardians of the Galaxy.

I felt that Odin's sudden level of jerkness is not a very good plot device, I dislike Frigga being fridged in that way. There's so much potential in her involvement in Thor's life but they killed her in favor of reuniting the brothers.

I always saw Odin as being overbearing, and I can't imagine the the Nine Realms being in total fucking chaos would've improved his mood, and especially not after Loki fucked up things on Earth. To me, his impatience felt like a very natural extension of the circumstances that he's dealing with, which is exceptionally exacerbated by all the things that happen in the film.

Secondarily, Frigga was a badass, and a key motivational factor in Loki's turn around, and the brothers working together. It gave personal motivation for the both of them that was believable, and you got the whole Viking funeral scene from it as well. You see how her trickery makes Loki see her as his mother still even when everyone else turns on him. This is especially obvious in the scene where he wrecks his cell and is hiding behind illusion. She may have been killed early on, but she's one of my favorite characters from the film nonetheless.

The last Thor is a good journey of Thor from haughtiness to humility and him growing to a rightful king. The main appeal of the first movie is that it's mostly about family and the characters are well fleshed. Thor 2 felt like a generic "evil villain wants to destroy the world" movie to me.

Thor WANTS to just smack the shit out of Loki 90% of the time for what he does, but more than that, he wants to be able to trust him, so he holds back. You see the same thing in the first battle, where he uses violence to END fighting, rather than exacerbate it like he does in the first film. I'll get into the bit about the Dark Elves in a bit.

I expected that they will play the angle where Thor would be conflicted by his feelings for Jane and his responsibility as the ruler of Asgard, and there's the immortal and mortal love story angle. They didn't tackle this very much and all we get is an angry Odin. Thor was the fish-out-of-water in the first movie and I expected Jane to be this in the second film, to serve as a audience surrogate to the wonders of the universe.

You DO get parts of that at the start though, especially with Odin. I saw it very much as reverse Elrond & Arwen, but in this case Elrond is in charge of the war and Arwen is also the King, rather than Aragorn. Odin's just having none of it, especially after the shit with Loki. Thor is clearly going to do what he wants, regardless and his working with Heimdall to make sure she's safe is proof of that.

In that aspect, I'm disappointed with how Jane was handled. She didn't take off from her character last movie, she's the wide-eyed scientist who fell in love with a god and that's good! But it's either she gets conflicted on being with Thor on Asgard and serving as his lover OR it should be her being content on her life as a scientist and thinking that even she and Thor are apart they have the mutual love or whatever. Nope... nothing like that is played or even discussed. We get her awesome scenes of sass and intelligence but I want character exploration more than badassery.

I think that you get character exploration with her in a different way. She's head-on tacking crazy science shit from the get-go, and she takes everything in stride. I love how she's still sciencing on about what the Asgardians' Soul Forge really is, even when she might be dying. I think that she's just more awkward and introverted, and when Thor isn't there, she's just trying to deal with it very unsuccessfully. She's quiet awkward/shy about her date, and gets REALLY excited when the first phenomenon pops up that might give her a chance to see him. I'm not sure where you felt that they didn't keep developing her character, tbqh. :\

Back to Thor, his conflict as a rightful king vs what he thinks is good for him and the realm isn't satisfying enough with me. The movie didn't build this up at all and in the end I felt his reasons for refusing the throne isn't that clear and justified... unless this is going to bite him back in the next film.

I have NO idea how you got that this was lacking. It's built up from the very first moment that it's clear that Thor wants to go back to Earth all the time. Again, it's the whole Elrond/Arwen thing with choosing mortality over going into the West.

Loki never fails to deliver! Still an excellent villain but IMHO the film tried so hard to make way for him to appear again for the sake of fangirls. I would have liked his arc to end at that movie, redemption or fall from grace is fine with me as long it justifies the story. Three films for a villain is too much IMO >_>

Loki is VERY much not shoehorned in for the fangirls. Thor, Avengers, & Thor 2 are as much Loki's trilogy as they are Thor's (if not moreso), and I think that understanding that is critical to the film. The two of them start as brothers competing for the throne. Loki doesn't get it, and tries to use trickery to steal it from Thor, and fails while finding out that he's not even Asgardian. That leads into his assault on Earth in Avengers which is the peak of him as a villian, after which he's taken back and imprisoned. Thor 2 is VERY much about him realizing that his mother still always loved him, and that's why Thor is trying to give him a chance.

This is especially true after she's killed. He and Thor are forced into finding common ground, and work together using both of their abilities, and he 'dies' being a hero and fully redeems himself in his brothers eyes. From there, he has a clear goal to what he's always wanted, the Asgardian Throne, and the only thing in his way is his father - who is the one individual he truly has spite towards at this moment. Whatever he does to Odin, he directly usurps the throne under the guise of an already angered Odin, and will likely be able to rule entirely unnoticed like this (and doesn't need to have some weirdly oedipus-like twist, since his mother is dead).

On top of that he talks it out, and gives Thor what he really wants - Thor gets to go to Earth, which Odin NEVER would have allowed, but Loki knows his brother wants and would want to give him, since the two of them currently have no animocity at all towards each other. Not only that, Thor essentially GIVES his brother the throne by doing this, despite the fact that it's done through trickery. Loki & Thor both end up getting the things that they wanted most in the end.

Then the space elf villain... I didn't get anything from him except that he's a space elf.

As I saw it, the Dark Elves are to the Asgardians, what the Asgardians are to Humans in terms of age in the grand scheme of things. They existed in a Dark Multiverse. Scientifically speaking, the Ether turns Matter back into Dark Matter, and they would essentially have seen the advent of our universe as a blight upon their own. He wants to turn the multiverse back into what it was before there was everything that exists now. It's evil from our point of view, but they don't see it that way.

On top of that, they have the personal vendetta against the Asgardians for the battle that took place back with Odin's grandfather that wiped most of them out. The convergence and the Ether are the keys to that plan, and the Ether being found triggered everything that they needed to enact their plan. It's a singular motivation, but it's a ridiculously dangerous one for.. you know... anything normal living in the Nine Realms.

Other things:

• Heimdall. One - taking out a ship with only his hearing, and two - giving himself up for treason to distract Odin. He's just the greatest.
• I love the intern & the intern's intern and their constant humor that was on-point and adorable as hell with an honorable mention to Chris O'Dowd for his two scenes.
• The Captain America cameo may have been the best thing in ever.
• Seeing her dad dealing with an even more extreme version of the post-Avengers madness like what Tony Stark had to go through in Iron Man 3 was really nicely executed.
• Giving a really quick/good sense of the fact that the multi-verse exists in different locations in space as well as dimensions that can intersect each other was fantastically executed.
• Even better version of science=magic than the first one, with the added bonus of giving a good taste of what Marvel space battles are somewhat going to be like with the Dark Elves' assault on Asgard.
• I loved that the Tesseract and the Ether are shown as being indestructible and also as Infinity Stones - set up explicitly with The Collector in the GotG scene at the end.
• I REALLY hope that there's an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. where they have to deal with the Jotunheim Beast left on Earth - assuming that Thor doesn't keep it as a giant puppy, which would also be acceptable.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Apparently some Malekith-centric scenes had to be cut for pace. A shame, he felt so underdeveloped. Marvel should do extended editions of their movies. :awesome:

The final battle where they beat each other through all the realms was really well done. It felt kind of videogame-y, in a good way.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
@ XI

I think there's simply a difference between someone like me who isn't very familiar and those who knew more about the mythology. Like the case with the Dark Elves, I couldn't relate to those who are happy finally seeing them onsceen. Most of the reaction from fans are positive, but critically, this film scored lower than the last and it's the lowest in the MCU.
Thor 1 is 77% and Thor 2 is 66%.

I'm not asking for an Arwen/Aragorn love story, but I just felt that there's visible problems that aren't even addressed. As for Jane, yes she's cute, yes she won't settle for anyone not Thor, yes she's a geek and yes she's investigating weird stuff and I like it. I liked that she's loving not just Thor but all the wonders he offers and she sees it as scientific. It's just that I wanted her to have a journey of her own in opposed to Thor.

First movie: Thor was sent to earth and learned a lot, in the 2nd Jane went to Asgard and...serve as a host to the Ether. I personally want something different from her after that experience, like I suggested, even a simple dialogue where she expresses her feelings on waiting again for Thor will do the trick, or also something where she muses about Asgard and immortals and the existence of the universe or something.

I have NO idea how you got that this was lacking. It's built up from the very first moment that it's clear that Thor wants to go back to Earth all the time. Again, it's the whole Elrond/Arwen thing with choosing mortality over going into the West.
I get it that Thor wanted to go back to earth, what I found lacking is him believing that "being a king might corrupt me" because we in the movie on how Odin became tied and "old" while Thor is "new and open to new things." Like my rant on the Odin's sudden level of jerkness as opposed to his characterization on the first movie, Thor has been humbled and taught to be wise in the first film in order for him to be a good king, the explanation on why all those character growth to prepare him for such an important responsibility is suddenly now "being a king might corrupt me."

Lastly again about Frigga. She's also my favorite character (yep she is) but as a woman I'm tired of mothers being killed for drama/being absent and fathers being more involved in children's lives. FMA, Shingeki no Kyojin, anime in general, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, Star Trek reboot and more. I wanted more of Frigga and I felt that her death was a convenient way to make the brothers work again together. It wasn't really a bad plot device, I was sad for Loki like I was teary when Spock lost Amanda but like I said I have a personal distaste of mothers being fridged.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@ XI

I think there's simply a difference between someone like me who isn't very familiar and those who knew more about the mythology. Like the case with the Dark Elves, I couldn't relate to those who are happy finally seeing them onsceen. Most of the reaction from fans are positive, but critically, this film scored lower than the last and it's the lowest in the MCU.
Thor 1 is 77% and Thor 2 is 66%.

Everything that I mentioned in my post was actually stated in the film though not in that exact wording. I haven't read any of the Marvel comics regarding the Dark Elves and didn't have any expectations about them on screen.

Also, if you're running the scoring base on the Rotten Tomatoes Score, the Critic Response and the Fan Response are generally different.

Critic: (Last of Eight)
• IronMan: 93%
• Avengers: 92%
• IronMan3: 79%
• CaptainA: 79%
• Thor: 77%
• IronMan2: 73%
• Hulk: 67%
• Thor2: 66%

Audience: (Third of Eight)
• Avengers: 90%
• IronMan: 90%
• Thor2: 86%
• IronMan3: 81%
• Thor: 76%
• IronMan2: 74%
• Hulk: 72%
• CaptainA: 72%

I'm not asking for an Arwen/Aragorn love story, but I just felt that there's visible problems that aren't even addressed. As for Jane, yes she's cute, yes she won't settle for anyone not Thor, yes she's a geek and yes she's investigating weird stuff and I like it. I liked that she's loving not just Thor but all the wonders he offers and she sees it as scientific. It's just that I wanted her to have a journey of her own in opposed to Thor.

First movie: Thor was sent to earth and learned a lot, in the 2nd Jane went to Asgard and...serve as a host to the Ether. I personally want something different from her after that experience, like I suggested, even a simple dialogue where she expresses her feelings on waiting again for Thor will do the trick, or also something where she muses about Asgard and immortals and the existence of the universe or something.

She did have a dialogue about waiting for Thor though. When they're all sitting around the breakfast table after he leaves. It's less of a dialogue, but again, that's kinda more towards her introverted character. That scene was directly addressing her needing to wait for Thor again in the same way that the awkward date dealt with the same thing at the beginning of the movie.

Her journey to Asgard is more of a medical trip, followed by a military strike and not at all the same as Thor's banishment to Earth. I thought that they covered the main points well, but I'd be interested in specific things that you would have liked to have seen.

I get it that Thor wanted to go back to earth, what I found lacking is him believing that "being a king might corrupt me" because we in the movie on how Odin became tied and "old" while Thor is "new and open to new things." Like my rant on the Odin's sudden level of jerkness as opposed to his characterization on the first movie, Thor has been humbled and taught to be wise in the first film in order for him to be a good king, the explanation on why all those character growth to prepare him for such an important responsibility is suddenly now "being a king might corrupt me."

I... don't remember anything about Thor's motivation for not being a King being because he thought it would corrupt him... You wanna detail this a bit more? Everything I got from it was that it didn't match up with what he really wanted (i.e. Arwen wants to stay with Aragorn and not go into the West). Pretty much the entire film revolves around him always talking to Heimdall about what's happening on Earth, and wanting to be there with Jane, and help the people there without needing to treat her like a secondary responsibility - which he will if he takes the throne.

Lastly again about Frigga. She's also my favorite character (yep she is) but as a woman I'm tired of mothers being killed for drama/being absent and fathers being more involved in children's lives. FMA, Shingeki no Kyojin, anime in general, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, Star Trek reboot and more. I wanted more of Frigga and I felt that her death was a convenient way to make the brothers work again together. It wasn't really a bad plot device, I was sad for Loki like I was teary when Spock lost Amanda but like I said I have a personal distaste of mothers being fridged.

Let's back up a second. Frigga is CLEARLY more involved with Loki and Thor's life than Odin is. She visits and consoles Loki even when he's imprisoned, she works to protect Jane when Odin wants to just send her away. When she dies, it's because her character MATTERS to them. Yes, it's a way to make Thor & Loki work together - but you get the idea that Thor always wanted to anyway, but couldn't trust his brother. It's Loki who needed it as motivation to set him back on the path of attacking someone who deserved it - Malakith. It gives him something to hate more than Thor or the other people who don't deserve it. As I stated before, it also allows Loki's overtaking of the throne at the end of the film without involving the forced development of an oedipus complex to maintain the cover. And let's not make this about their maternal parental figure being offed. For all intents and purposes, Odin's as dead as she is at the end of the film. Frigga's death & Odin's death(?) will tell you a lot about their family, especially in terms of how Loki is connected to those events.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Here:

She did have a dialogue about waiting for Thor though. When they're all sitting around the breakfast table after he leaves. It's less of a dialogue, but again, that's kinda more towards her introverted character. That scene was directly addressing her needing to wait for Thor again in the same way that the awkward date dealt with the same thing at the beginning of the movie.

Her journey to Asgard is more of a medical trip,
followed by a military strike and not at all the same as Thor's banishment to Earth. I thought that they covered the main points well, but I'd be interested in specific things that you would have liked to have seen.
That's exactly what I felt. When Thor went to Earth not only did he get influenced but there's the feeling that he touched Jane's and Selvig's lives. They interacted so much and then there's a genuine bridging of gap between a mortal and a god.

I wanted Jane to have an effect like that on Asgard. I like it that Frigga likes her, but I would have wanted Frigga to express why she treated Jane such as opposed to Odin's, maybe something like the beer session between Thor and Selvig.

Then the coffee table thing is that enough for me because I wanted some sort of a short reflection on what happened. For example, Thor's dialogue with Fake!Odin is his reflection and internalization. Jane merely stating that she'll wait for him again is like stating what was obvious again to the audience and a repeat of the last. For the first film, Heimdall's dialogue with Thor while showing Jane continually searching for him did the trick. It means we really don't have to have Jane speak it out.

So maybe a scene where she looks up the stars and says "there's so many worlds out there, I'm gonna go there with Thor" may do the trick. Because in the first movie she waits for him, now she's eager to go back there with him again for another adventure! That's a very simple way to show her own perspective.

I... don't remember anything about Thor's motivation for not being a King being because he thought it would corrupt him... You wanna detail this a bit more? Everything I got from it was that it didn't match up with what he really wanted (i.e. Arwen wants to stay with Aragorn and not go into the West). Pretty much the entire film revolves around him always talking to Heimdall about what's happening on Earth, and wanting to be there with Jane, and help the people there without needing to treat her like a secondary responsibility - which he will if he takes the throne.
I need to check the scene again since my memory is a bit hazy regarding that.

Let's back up a second. Frigga is CLEARLY more involved with Loki and Thor's life than Odin is. She visits and consoles Loki even when he's imprisoned, she works to protect Jane when Odin wants to just send her away. When she dies, it's because her character MATTERS to them. Yes, it's a way to make Thor & Loki work together - but you get the idea that Thor always wanted to anyway, but couldn't trust his brother. It's Loki who needed it as motivation to set him back on the path of attacking someone who deserved it - Malakith. It gives him something to hate more than Thor or the other people who don't deserve it. As I stated before, it also allows Loki's overtaking of the throne at the end of the film without involving the forced development of an oedipus complex to maintain the cover. And let's not make this about their maternal parental figure being offed. For all intents and purposes, Odin's as dead as she is at the end of the film. Frigga's death & Odin's death(?) will tell you a lot about their family, especially in terms of how Loki is connected to those events.
Frigga and Odin are equally involved in their children's lives, with Odin more prominent in the first film when he banished Thor without even consulting his wife. I told you I felt sad about it, the effect to me is what they intended.

It's just that it's my personal dislike especially because of the treatment of mothers in the media. How hard is it to find another Catelyn Stark? My observation about mothers in fiction is factual, even if Frigga is a good mother, more involved than most mothers in fiction, characterized and not a caricature, she still ultimately served Thor and Loki's narratives than herself. But maybe I wanted her to develop a friendship with Jane? I wanted to see her perspective? I wanted MORE of her. I mean who doesn't love her scenes in Thor 2? I wanted more of them in the future as she's more interesting than Odin. Yeah, but I know I have accept that Thor and Loki are the main characters here. I understand that Frigga is just a supporting character, but they could have done more.

To sum it up regarding Frigga and Jane... It's mostly personal that I wanted more of them, and that there's a wish from me that they will make things different from media trends. It somewhat of a product of my discontent of having no female-centric MCU film to date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom