Unpopular Final Fantasy opinions

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
FFIV is shit.

FFVI is okay for the first half, then the World of Ruin happens, and everything goes to shit (both in and out of game :P)

FFIII and FFV are both criminally underrated.

FFXIII-2 is one of my favorites.

I'm completely fine with VII and X being connected.

People who praise II for its story ironically are fucking insane.

Golden Sun is better than most FF games and needs to get more love.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I have a couple:

I think BC > CC characterization/narrative wise. Actually, I didn't like CC at all aside from the game mechanics which I thought were pretty decent. The new characters were written very poorly, resulting in the story not being very gripping to me, and Midgar was lame and devoid of its original character, imho.

I think Sephy was a little one dimensional.

I don't like it when SE does chibi remakes of FF games.

Golden Sun is better than most FF games and needs to get more love.

I played Dark Dawn. I liked it quite a bit.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
phew ok

FFII's gameplay was absolute shite and the main reason I never completed it which is a pity because the story was really interesting and would have engrossed me more had I been able to play the game.

One Winged Angel, is nowhere near as good a track as people make it out to be.

While FF8's actual story wasn't the best, I think the thought and effort put into the Info section in the game is fantastic.

FFXII Revenant Wings was highly enjoyable to play but should never have been a sequel to XII it should have been a stand alone story with new characters.

Tifa should have been honest with Cloud from the start about who he was, seriously what kind of person would allow their friend to spew out stuff about themselves that they know isn't true and not go hang on something isn't right here, maybe I should ask them about it.

I never liked the Locke/Celes romance.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
"FFV is underrated" has become such a trope in the FF fandom. Everyone says it, yet everyone I know who has played V thinks it's great. I think it would be much more accurate to call it "overlooked", since Square don't seem to give it as much attention as they do IV and VI, and it still seems to be one of the least-played Final Fantasy games. You can't rate something you haven't played. :monster:

With that said... I'm a fan of V myself, but only for the gameplay. The characters and the story are both pretty forgettable, especially compared to VI. That might be an unpopular opinion itself in these parts. :P

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Whats the deal with FFV anyway? I remember playing a snes rom of it way back in the 2000's , though I think it may have been a fan translation.

Was it like 3 where the real version of it took far to long to show up in the West or something?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Whats the deal with FFV anyway? I remember playing a snes rom of it way back in the 2000's , though I think it may have been a fan translation.

Was it like 3 where the real version of it took far to long to show up in the West or something?
Pretty much. The real III took even longer, though.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Also: can't stand people who worship Nomura like he's a god.

I get that he's contributed a lot to the series, and I appreciate that from him, but I'm tired of kissing his ass and I'm tired of other people kissing his ass.

Reactions: Ite

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Who does that? I only ever see Nomura get blamed for absolutely everything from the doom of the franchise to the SE bathroom running out of toilet paper. I don't think I've ever seen a positive atmosphere in internet comments in any article that features him.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think KH fans are generally more positive toward him, but even if most fans of both franchises have soured on him over time, he definitely used to get a salute any time his name was mentioned -- both from fans and others at SE.

I'm convinced a lot of the problems Versus XIII's development ran into stemmed from everything he did for a long time being greeted by colleagues and superiors with a look of awe and a rubber stamp set on "auto."

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I have always hated Cid from VII because of his abusive behavior towards Shera. I wish I could leave him out of the party when I play the game...

giphy.gif

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
The white background + logo as box art is lame (and so are the variation with the Amano's art as background). Going forward I'd like to have box arts to take notes from FFXV jp box art, particulary in putting its core theme at the forefront.

ba0f173362a3a19f19ea55696d88f421.jpg

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
X-2 is a phenomenal game - from the minigames to Real Emotion. I love the songs especially with every fiber of my being and they truly encapsulate the nature and story of the game.

Tifa is a horrible character and totally unrelatable and irresponsible (who leaves a five year old in charge of a bar?!).

Balthier isn't really that good of a "leading man".

Tidus is probably the most realistic of the FF heroes - he reacts as any normal sane person would in his circumstances.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
A word of warning: I'm gonna put all these opinions in a poll (probably on Google Forms since there are so many) so we can find out which ones are really unpopular and which aren't. This thread will stay open but if you've got anything to add, now would be a good time. :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Oh erm, Kingdom Hearts is fucking shit. I despise everything about it.

Except Donald Duck.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I like how Genesis and Angeal expanded what I thought the Shin-Ra Science team was capable of. I hope they make it into FFVIIR in so way (even if it's just by being mentioned) because of that.

I think the Squall/Rinoa romance works out a lot better then most of the romances in the series . My favorite part of it is when Squall and Rinoa swap "roles" in the Ragnarok and Rinoa is the practical one and decides to get frozen only for Squall to be the emotional one and break her out and then their "roles" go back to normal for the most part. It's nice to see romances that develop and change with the characters and aren't just the end-game of well... the game.

Top Bottom