SPOILERS Ways to ruin part 2 and beyond

dz

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I was watching The Last Kingdom yesterday, and it struck me if the making of Remake might be similar: basing the story loosely on the recorded "history" (compilation in this case). At least that's what I am prepared for as a worst case. I expect it will retain a lot of existing canon and I'll enjoy the subsequent instalments of Remake, and I can still enjoy the OG and prior compilation.

dz

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Fake-out deaths ✔️
If I recall correctly, the OG didn't itself indulge in fake-out deaths, and the story was so memorable partly because of the shocking finality of
Aerith's death
, but the wider compilation was completely littered with them, off the top of my head,

Veld, Elfe, and player turk (BC)
Genesis (CC)
Corneo (alive in OTWTAS)
Rufus (and arguably Tseng though that was more inferred) (alive in all POST-OG works)

dz

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I think if the major character deaths of
Zack and Aerith
are somehow undone/fail to happen in Remake then the story becomes much less impactful. Yet I fully expect this to happen in some form.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think if the major character deaths of
Zack and Aerith
are somehow undone/fail to happen in Remake then the story becomes much less impactful. Yet I fully expect this to happen in some form.

The problem with the approach they've taken, though, is that when/if those deaths happen, I will be relieved instead of sad. So that's already basically robbed them of their impact.

Forgetting to include a proper Exchange function so you can switch all materia instantly from one character to another.

I am moderately shocked that you can only swap one materia at a time in FFVIIR Part 1 and I would be dramatically shocked if this continues in Part 2. Nevertheless, I wish to mention that this is indeed one way to severely decrease the quality of Part 2. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Forgetting to include a proper Exchange function so you can switch all materia instantly from one character to another.

I am moderately shocked that you can only swap one materia at a time in FFVIIR Part 1 and I would be shocked if this continues in Part 2. Nevertheless, I wish to mention that this is indeed one way to severely decrease the quality of Part 2. :monster:

Honestly I never knew you could do that in the original :shrug:
I always moved my materia one at a time.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I definitely like this thread. It's like imagining the worst outcome possible in order to get mentally prepared for all sorts of a shit show.

Let's add forgetting to give us some fanservice in Costa Del Sol. Or, what's worse, scrapping it because of the age rating. Personally, I'd love to see the girls in bikinis and to know what kind of flowers are embroidered on Cloud's swimming trunks.

Éiru

Rookie Adventurer
If you're living in a world where time loops are a thing, then death has no real meaning since you just keep coming back again and again and again.... The stakes are the opposite of high. Got it wrong first time around? Have another million tries. Your dear friend has just been killed? So long for now, friend, see you again in the next go-around.
This is exactly my concern.

I think even with the suggestion that Aerith and Sephiroth appear to have some knowledge of what has already happened concerns me in terms of the rewriting of that scene and her characterisation for me. I may be wrong, but I always interpreted it that
Aerith never intended on dying when she went to the Forgotten City. Aerith in the Remake seems to have some foresight about what is to come and the sacrifice she may need to make...and I just think it will change the experience of this scene for me (of course I may just be very negative)

I just worry about how the developers will handle this. I think the cynic in me is untrusting, but I have to bear in mind these are the people who brought us the OG and take some comfort in that.
What really resonated with me about the OG is how they grounded a very real human experience despite the high fantasy setting. It was very powerful. That has slowly eroded with the continuing development of the Compilation but hey!

Okay that’s my ramble over

Fade

SHR
Others have already summarised what doesn't work about the Remake, so I guess my fear is this: that the Remake will cleave just enough to the original story that people will try to reference it as if it's "canon" to the OG in discussions, wiki entries etc. for years to come. It's a saving grace of the Whisper plot that it forces (for instance) the FF wiki to acknowledge that there are two sets of events, but the FF wiki also seems to simultaneously treat all backstory/expanded details as canon to the OG which...isn't actually a fair assumption. And is likely to become a more convoluted approach the further into this thing we get.

Ultimately, I'd rather the Remake go completely coocoo lala bugnuts so we can accept that nothing it says about the original can be held self-evidently true. This is the game that seems to treat the ending of the OG as the "bad ending", after all. :nah: Honestly, fan wikis, in general, could really do with growing past the whole "in-universe" style as it is.

As an aside, anyone else feel the Remake might age...kinda badly? OG fans enjoy the gameplay but often take issue with the changes, while new fans might be cautious of its changes and so not treat it as definitive in the way that, say, Resident Evil Remake is treated as THE definitive version of Resident Evil. I can really see the FFVII Remake landing in Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes: But Even More Problematic territory to the fanbase a decade or two in the future.

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Really....
The only thing?

Remember we already had fate changing ghosts and dead characters being brought back to life now.

Yeah, none of that troubles me as much as everyone else. I've separated my love of the original from this new version and I'm interested in seeing all the butterfly effects spiraling out of control withing this new version. There's a lot of exciting things that can be done with that concept alone.

But Genesis ... oh boy. That is my one thing that I personally can not stand.

Top Bottom