What makes your day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Watching this video gave me a déjà-vu about Unreal Tournament :awesome:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Fleet Foxes LP I ordered also contains a bonus LP containing the Sun Giant EP. I had no idea that would happen. It actually wound up being more music than the Helplessness Blues DLP despite being cheaper.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Fixx'd. And I know he does.

:awesome:
Oh hells no!

also
1afd9a4c981a44817fe823d37759b49c.jpg

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
"Man, I love malls. I do. Once, I was in this mall, up in Atlanta, and these guys were dancing for like money and stuff and my friend Dave and I was all..."

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
you can find some great stuff browsing wikipedia and its sister projects

William Safire said:
In his book ''Stickin': The Case for Loyalty,'' James Carville seemed pleased that he had been called ''Clinton's gunsel'' by the columnist Richard Cohen. ''I'm sure I am one,'' the Clinton loyalist and henchman observed in a footnote. ''I just don't know what it is.''

Filling those voids in vocabulary is the scholarly public service demanded by readers of this column.

American moviegoers first became familiar with the word when spoken by Humphrey Bogart, playing Dashiell Hammett's hard-boiled private detective, Sam Spade, in ''The Maltese Falcon.'' Bogie looked contemptuously at the young bodyguard played by Elisha Cook Jr. and told Sydney Greenstreet, ''Keep that gunsel away from me.''

Most readers of Black Mask magazine in 1929, where the story first appeared, and moviegoers in the 1940's thought that gunsel was a variant of ''gunman.'' It is not; in a 1965 article, the mystery writer Erle Stanley Gardner revealed why Hammett used it.

The editor of Black Mask, Joseph Shaw, was on guard against the use of vulgarisms by his writers. Hammett, eager to slip one by, had a character describe his activity as ''on the gooseberry lay,'' tramp lingo for ''stealing clothes from clotheslines,'' its connotation larcenous but not vulgar.

''Shaw wrote Hammett telling him that he was deleting the 'gooseberry lay' from the story,'' Gardner recalled, ''and that Black Mask would never publish anything like that. But he left the word gunsel because Hammett had used it so casually that Shaw took it for granted that the word pertained to a hired gunman. Actually, gunsel, or gonzel, is a very naughty word with no relation whatever to a bodyguard.''

The term in tramp slang is derived from the Yiddish gendzl, or ''gosling''; the young goose symbolized a homosexual boy. An earlier use was defined in a 1933 American Speech as ''Gonzel, Catamite'' (a corruption of the name of Jupiter's cupbearer, Ganymede).

''All the writers of the hard-boiled school of realism,'' noted Gardner, ''started talking about a gunsel as the equivalent of a gunman. . . . The aftereffects of that joke are still seen in American murder stories.''

And in columns by pundits who mean no such thing. And in books by impervious loyalists.
If possible I respect Hammett even more now.

Wikipedia said:
The incredible care Pecknold put into the album was painstaking, creating turmoil in his personal relationships. In an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine, Pecknold admitted that his girlfriend of five years found the stress this album placed on their relationship too much, and ended things. Upon hearing the completed album, she realized that Pecknold's efforts were worth it and they are working it out.
For some reason this really makes me happy. Probably because the album really is that good. It's hard to believe all the vocals on it are first takes, but then again they're so passionate that it's hard to imagine they could be anything else.

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
I keep posting to this but IT'S ACTUALLY RAINING. YAY!

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V

This may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

edit: ok, no, this is more ridiculous:

What's extra ridiculous is that most of the same glitches work in this game.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
EXAMS

OVER

*wipes hands clean*

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

pfffFFFfffFFFFfffFFFF

edit: tbh I knew about this ages ago but i lost the link for a long time

Last edited:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
So had my lasik surgery done yesterday on my one short-sighted eye and 24 hours later I now have 20/20 vision in it. :joy:

Plus the surgery itself was both trippy and strangely beautiful (on the laser machine there's a blinking red light and a green light, and when your vision goes all blurry as they put in the eyedrops and peel away the corneal flap they explode into these incredible halos of multi-faceted yellow/orange/red/green light and it was AWESOME). And you go temporarily blind for about ten seconds which is an extremely disconcerting sensation but very cool in it's own way.

In related news, 3 days off work fuck yeah.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Dammit, that's true. And I have the perfect Canadian flag tophat to go with it.

Oh well I'll just buy a fake one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom