XBoxOne

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Don Mattrick apologizes for Xboxones short comings.

Oooo, it has been AGES since I've seen a good Rick Roll. I thought the fad had died out, but it's always good to see something fresh.

tumblr_inline_mnn8b2Pkin1qz4rgp.gif

laurence

Pro Adventurer
AJ's interview during E3 seems to have implications that this was already the message going on, but Microsoft simply failed to send it properly.

On the whole, I don't think this policy drastically changes publisher/developer sales, besides the fact that 10 is a rather high limit for what is essentially a free sharing system. There probably are additional requirements to this system (like perhaps a Gold subscription) and probably restrictions (likely no shared multiplayer component), and there could be plenty other ways to cut down on carefree game sharing, like region restrictions and what-not.

I'm surprised they don't talk more about it, or at least clarify their policy on their website. For me it's the best feature of the Xbox One, unless there are ridiculous hidden requirements behind it.

The gold subscription makes sense as I think it's needed to access your OWN library from another Xbox one. I'm also curious to know if any game can be shared or is it up to the publishers. Ms has some more explaining to do it seems.

Also, I'm sure Steam would get into this digital sharing thing. There's already rumors going about the net.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Incoming massive backtrack?

Xbox One-Eighty? :awesome:

Update:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Last edited:

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I fell they are making this out to be "We are giving the loyal fans what they want" but in reality, it's down to the shitty DRM and Used games policy butchering their sales in comparison to PS4.

I think the damage has already been done Microsoft, sorry :awesome:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Good that Microsoft has enough sense to change a bad policy.

Bad that they actually made such a bad policy to start with.

And now Sony and Nintendo can make the claim that they know their consumers well enough to know not to make those types of policies in the first place.

AvecAloes

Donator
Well it's certainly good to see that Microsoft apparently does listen to consumer backlash....still no chance in hell that I'll ever be getting one :desu:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's great to see consumers making a corporation bend over and take it. It so rarely happens.

Its great to know gamers at least aren't fucking dumb. They revolt when necessary.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I have mixed feelings about it. Not because they got rid of all the stupid DRM policies, which is great, but because there's no mention of the sharing system or the digital install/playing without the need for disc on any console.

If they had improved the online sharing features to give the advantages of digital distribution, like the ability to "lend" people games instantly with convenience without having to put a disc into the post or have to physically go over to a friend's place, then I would have genuinely been excited for it. But what it looks like is that they've scrapped the digital distribution route entirely, which I feel a bit ambivalent about.

I believe Microsoft needs to differentiate from its competitors in a good way, but by just removing all the things they did to do that, as opposed to improving on them, they remove any of their potential selling points and put themselves more and more in direct comparison with the other consoles, purely on hardware specs. The online games library system was a promising start, and I feel the option should still be there.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I have mixed feelings about it. Not because they got rid of all the stupid DRM policies, which is great, but because there's no mention of the sharing system or the digital install/playing without the need for disc on any console.

Mattrick said you will need to have the disc physically sitting in the console to play it. They completely scrapped the other idea, it sounds like -- which, as you said, was a poor decision.

The one and only good idea they had may be getting thrown out with all the bad. But perhaps they'll bring it back in later.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I fell they are making this out to be "We are giving the loyal fans what they want" but in reality, it's down to the shitty DRM and Used games policy butchering their sales in comparison to PS4.

I think the damage has already been done Microsoft, sorry :awesome:

In all honesty its not that they removed these idiotic policies for the gamers. They removed it to appease share holders.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
This article on the Escapist is worth reading.
It's important to remember that Microsoft envisioned Xbox One as a gateway drug for the digital marketplace, something that would accept disks but was capable of switching to downloadable titles down the road. It's a smart strategy that gives the console a longer shelf life and makes it more flexible in the long term, but it also makes it possible for Microsoft to sneak its torpedoed policies in through the back door.
Never forget, never forgive.

And for those in the UK:
You won't be immune post the 19th of June,
Before the Xbox 180 there was Plot.
I don't see a reason, why Microsoft's treason
Should ever be forgot.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Is that thing about no region locking accurate?

Because that was a big thing that stopped me from getting a Xbox 1-but-not-One or 360. So that would be appealing news to me.

Lex

Administrator
I don't think I read that they had backtracked on the region locking, only that games would be available to play offline.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee

If they had improved the online sharing features to give the advantages of digital distribution, like the ability to "lend" people games instantly with convenience without having to put a disc into the post or have to physically go over to a friend's place, then I would have genuinely been excited for it. But what it looks like is that they've scrapped the digital distribution route entirely, which I feel a bit ambivalent about.

I believe Microsoft needs to differentiate from its competitors in a good way, but by just removing all the things they did to do that, as opposed to improving on them, they remove any of their potential selling points and put themselves more and more in direct comparison with the other consoles, purely on hardware specs. The online games library system was a promising start, and I feel the option should still be there.

ugh same i mean the biggest issue was that the lending system they were implementing was way too restrictive, and no one at the company even seemed to be able to give a clear, concise answer. however, the general concept of having a steam-like library where you could loan a game to friends digitally would have actually been neat. but again, it was too limited (10 people? ugh) and poorly presented.

It's important to remember that Microsoft envisioned Xbox One as a gateway drug for the digital marketplace, something that would accept disks but was capable of switching to downloadable titles down the road. It's a smart strategy that gives the console a longer shelf life and makes it more flexible in the long term, but it also makes it possible for Microsoft to sneak its torpedoed policies in through the back door.

slowly transitioning from disk to digital is smarter than trying to rip the band-aid off, though. if they're smart about it. guess we'll see what happens.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Again, Bill Gates/Microsoft. Nothing more should have to be said to have this whole discussion be moot. He/His company does it with their computers, and what is a gaming console but a computer dedicated to a specific purpose? This is one reason why I've not gone the Xbox route. Nothing said surprises me.

Jarlix

Pro Adventurer

yeah

Not going to lie. Second I saw "Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come" I just fucking stopped.

I literally can't read more than a second of their PR spinning.

Top Bottom