• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XVI

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Yoshi P:
"We don’t want to say something that’s half baked and cause speculation on the title."

Anybody else picture him slowly turning his head towards Nomura and Kitase's offices after he said this?
It's no exaggeration that Yoshida has always been critical of how Nomura and Kitase have marketed their games (never stated that it's them... but his criticisms really only fit their games, so...). And every single time something has dropped for FFXVI, Yoshdia has essentially tweeted something to the effect of "See! We're not marketing this like other single-player FF games have been marketed".

So yeah, I can see him wanting to at least put as much space between how his Business Division creates and markets their games and how Nomura and Kitase's Business Division creates and markets theirs. Goodness knows the ways the two divisions tell stories is rather different. So setting the expectation that FFXVI isn't going to be like Nomura's and Kitase's FF games early on isn't the worst idea.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Most of the time, speculation leans toward hyperbole and blowings things out of proportion in a negative way but yeah, I can't lie that leads to a fun roller-coaster.

Either way, the less ammo trolls and haters have, the better. :wacky:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I’m from the generation that has been playing the Final Fantasy series from the first game in real-time—I’m almost in my 50s. I think the Warriors of Light have grown up in their own worlds, so I want to create a world of Final Fantasy that those who know the good and bad of reality can also be passionate about. I believe there are certain hardships that are experienced when becoming an adult, so I want to make the main theme of this game something that those who grew up playing Final Fantasy and understand reality can still enjoy, get something out of, and think about.
Given how dark the political stuff in FFXIV can get (you have people discussing the equivalent of WMD and genocide on a fairly regular basis)... I don't doubt this at all. FFXIV would be M rated if the team didn't get... creative... with a lot of camera angles... and wasn't working with a 10-year old gaming engine. With a current game engine... yeesh... I think of how Yotsuyu would come across on a modern engine and... yeah... the FFXVI guys definetly know how to make a "mature" feeling story without making it go full on grimdark.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Final Fantasy has at least not had that kind of aesthetic for *ages*. You can't even really call FFXII a "medieval" setting (it's more Renaissance). FFX was like... oceana/islands. FFXI is probably the last single-player "medieval" FF game. And that really isn't a "dark" game. And the themes are expressed in fantastical ways.

FFXVI certainly isn't going to have the problem of being "too similar" to any *recent* FF games on a variety of fronts.

Top Bottom