Final Fantasy XVI

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
super modern setting XV had.
hj7T6az.jpg

I'm glad they seem to be keeping adult fans in mind. I may be misremembering, but I feel like there was a time (maybe around the FFXIII-era or a bit before with the whole Vaan vs Basch thing in FFXII) when S-E higher-ups were hyper focused on the teen demographic. Nowadays, between this and FFVIIR (and I would assume FFXIV, though I haven't played it) it seems like there's more of an effort to appeal to both old and new fans.

As for the gameplay, I really hope they can balance the combat experience well for multiple (and all) difficulty levels. As much as I enjoyed it, Nier Automata is an example of a game that did not do this well - Normal was a bit too easy and didn't make you engage with all the gameplay systems while in Hard everything either one or two-shot you and in Very Hard everything was a one-shot (Easy was essentially "playing for the story" mode, and it did what it was meant to do, which was fine; I used it for some of the mandatory late-game hacking when I couldn't be bothered) - and the imbalance marred what was a really fun battle system a bit. I know having difficulty modes isn't really what causes that sort of imbalance, though, and it's good that people who just want to play for the story won't be left out.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I'm glad they seem to be keeping adult fans in mind. I may be misremembering, but I feel like there was a time (maybe around the FFXIII-era or a bit before with the whole Vaan vs Basch thing in FFXII) when S-E higher-ups were hyper focused on the teen demographic. Nowadays, between this and FFVIIR (and I would assume FFXIV, though I haven't played it) it seems like there's more of an effort to appeal to both old and new fans.

As for the gameplay, I really hope they can balance the combat experience well for multiple (and all) difficulty levels. As much as I enjoyed it, Nier Automata is an example of a game that did not do this well - Normal was a bit too easy and didn't make you engage with all the gameplay systems while in Hard everything either one or two-shot you and in Very Hard everything was a one-shot (Easy was essentially "playing for the story" mode, and it did what it was meant to do, which was fine; I used it for some of the mandatory late-game hacking when I couldn't be bothered) - and the imbalance marred what was a really fun battle system a bit. I know having difficulty modes isn't really what causes that sort of imbalance, though, and it's good that people who just want to play for the story won't be left out.
Yep, they went with Vaan because he looked... pretty I guess (he didn't, he actually looked like he went for a plastic surgery).

Basch had all the right stakes to be the protagonist. Appealing to visual standards is cool and all, when it doesn't come for the story's detriment...

Last edited:

Saven

Pro Adventurer
FFXII is one of my biggest "what could've been" moments for gaming had they kept Basch as the main character, Matsuno stayed on to finish the project, etc. I still like the game a lot, but the development issues could be pretty apparent at times throughout. I'm glad they are not focused on only a younger audience-only anymore based on what we've seen.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
The only real fear I've heard (and that too, only because there is no info one way or the other and the trailers only show the main guy) that makes any sense to me is about it possibly being only one playable character. While I share this fear, I have faith in SE having a good cast. Especially given the heavy Matsuno influence.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The only real fear I've heard (and that too, only because there is no info one way or the other and the trailers only show the main guy) that makes any sense to me is about it possibly being only one playable character. While I share this fear, I have faith in SE having a good cast. Especially given the heavy Matsuno influence.
Hopefully the people who worked on Heavensward and are on FFXVI now recognize/remember the appeal/value of having a traveling party, part of what made Heavensward so great was having the dysfunctional roadtrips with Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysayle.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Heavensward, Stormblood and Shadowbringers very much all had a "party" of core NPCs that travel with the player. So they are very much aware of the roll of having other characters around on a constant basis in the story. Shadowbringers even took this one step futher and let those characters into the dungeons with the player as AI controled characters. And that mechanic is coming back for Endwalker.

So I'm very confident there will be at least other "core NPCs" that the Main Character is with as part of the story. As for the combat... we've barely seen any of it. To the point we have no idea how it even works. So I wouldn't start worrying just yet.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Do not fret. There are other events happening at around the same time that are basically E3 in all but name. There is a bit of a tussle between E3's owners and parts of the industry, particularly on the Sony side of the ledger.

I do believe there will be another SE/Sony event at around that time.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Crisis Core remaster/version upgrade?

Could also be maybe be a new World of Final Fantasy entry.

Wonder if they’ll ever do a FFI-FFVI bundle?

Or maybe a FFXIII trilogy collection/remaster?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Crisis Core remaster/version upgrade?

Could also be maybe be a new World of Final Fantasy entry.

Wonder if they’ll ever do a FFI-FFVI bundle?

Or maybe a FFXIII trilogy collection/remaster?

This.

It needs to be this.

What the fuck is Hiroki Chiba doing now, anyways? Dreaming of new obscure ways to use Shelke? Well too bad.

Nomura and Toriyama are already doing a better Dirge of Cerberus via Remake. So get him off the bench and let this man continue doing something amazing on his own, ffs. :monster:

Top Bottom