SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Side note, I know everyone is so excited about the Ultimania, but is this the same Ben Sabin who does the translations for Remake and Rebirth?

I don't think it's the same guy. I think they have different credits as well on what they worked on. Also you can see Ben Sabin here. 13:23

But that other Ben Sabin is interesting.
Very passionate lol.

Disgaea? Or is that not the most popular any more?
The Trails series. Specifically Kiseki and I think Zero and Ao were called out for their localization timeline being slow as well as general flack for changes and quality. I think they had to partner up with fan translators because the company is so tiny.

But Disagea definitely gets flack too.

My friend left the distribution office recently I think after COVID (which was from my understanding tied to their localization office or maybe just the same office) but during that time it was a bit of a nightmare with QA and distribution etc. Basically every time QA said they needed to make a change it needed approval of course, but it's a tiny company so it was a slow process. And translator work for it was brutal, pretty nonstop. Also because of COVID it was very short staffed.

Told me how much BS the translators went through and how bad the pay and hours are while the general public has no idea. Also I have friends in the anime industry one who then worked with ANN at one point and with conventions and anime company promotions or something...another who works in I think production, knows many EN VAs and stuff and about dubbing.

Basically I hear them talk about their fields and the sheer amount of hard work that goes into these media to get created or promoted only for staff to sometimes get flamed. For people to act like it's trash or the creators don't care and for misinformation to be spread about it is a bit sad to me. Criticism is fine but people on social media especially can take it too far.

Edit: Elaborated and added a quote I missed.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
He did a long lecture about how game companies should explicitly embrace sex scenes and not cop out with fade to black? Somehow that makes me laugh a lot thinking the translator of the games might somehow also subject Nojima/Nomura to a big powerpoint deck on why under the Highwind needs to be explicit for a good half an hour. I'm genuinely laughing about how passionate this dude is.

Thing is, at the end of the day, FF7 is a T-Rated game.

Whatever happens around the Highwind will always be kinda implicit.

1712917614602.png

Reactions: LNK

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Heej welonz, I am actually listening to her streams during work, and she in fact JUST left corel about 5 min ago for me :P

I was getting the feeling she was leaning strongly towards tifa
Welonz is very much CT since Remake, but she loves both girls. She heard of the LTD which made her wary, but ended up loving everything!

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
btw not LTD related but wanna share

Nomura especially requested Yuffie's first love to be included on her date. yay ~

See this is what I find interesting. I understand these are separate from the story but then here we’re sort of told it’s an insight into a piece of Yuffie. So even though they are not a part of the story, they still have meaning in them.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I’m hopeful for three years as well with Nomura’s statement. That’d be perfect for them.

Part 3 will be interesting to see what people think, there are just undeniable moments in there.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
I'm already tired of all the terrible takes after the Ultimania quotes.

I'm just gonna wait 3+ years in my corner and just laugh at people pissed.

Don’t you see non canon!!!!dates mean nothing!!!!

-> that group proceeded to spend the last 27 years dreaming about a kiss on the Gondola date

Only one side of this fandom doesn’t consider every scene in FF7, ACC, Remake, Rebirth to be part of the game and that’s not us

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Don’t you see non canon!!!!dates mean nothing!!!!

-> that group proceeded to spent the last 27 years dreaming about a kiss on the Gondola date

Only one side of this fandom doesn’t consider every scene in FF7, ACC, Remake, Rebirth to be part of the game and that’s not us

I just saw people making parallels between this date quote and the fact that the Highwind scene has a LA/HA system too so it's the same (=non canon). And how HA Aerith choices will carry over and change this scene "LIKE IN THE OG"

That's my point of "Ok i'm out of this shit, enjoy, i'm not arguing anymore" no return.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I just saw people making parallels between this date quote and the fact that the Highwind scene has a LA/HA system too so it's the same (=non canon). And how HA Aerith choices will carry over and change this scene "LIKE IN THE OG"

That's my point of "Ok i'm out of this shit, enjoy, i'm not arguing anymore" no return.
... ????? How does that make sense? If HA/LA makes something non-canon in their eyes... doesn't that apply to the dream date too? And so why would that carry over? I CAN'T.

I swear I don't ask for much, just coherency!! But they can't even give me that.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
its a bit silly but I do like that it reinforces the fact that Zach is the stereotypical hero and Aerith the sterotypical heroine

whilst Cloud and Tifa are just literally regular people
Honestly, who wouldn't fall for Zack, he's the Himmel of the ff7 universe.

At this point it's just funny. I can't wait to read them talking about how the dates not being canon is a slap in the face to clotis or something, when we're literally the ones who have been making the point that they're not while THEY were desperately trying to argue that the clerith date was canon XD.

Not to mention the soft implication this has concerning the date in the OG and its canonicity, which they've been rallying behind for 27 years now XD

I'm especially happy to hear that they were considering not putting in the affection system. If they were already considering that for the one game where it makes the most sense it gives me hope that they'll not put it in part 3. And I think we all know who has more to be afraid off if that happens

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
1712924925124.png New event for WAR OF THE VISIONS FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS Phantom War
with advent children Cloud and Tifa with Tifas "high wind voiceline recorded in Japanese" I really want a post Advent children playable section In Remake Part 3 like this artwork with us being able to drive around Edge and Ruined Midgar and fight monsters and stuff.

Last edited:

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I mean even here we have people going they're not canon but they all are so ...

I wouldn't say there is a general consensus on this since even here we have they're not canon but they all are :monsterstoned::smashedmonster:

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
View attachment 15521 New event for WAR OF THE VISIONS FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS Phantom War
with advent children Cloud and Tifa with Tifas "high wind voiceline recorded in Japanese" I really want a post Advent children playable section In Remake Part 3 like this artwork with us being able to drive around Edge and Ruined Midgar and fight monsters and stuff.
I so desperately want Advent Children outfits in Part 3. Even if it’s something acquired by beating the game or something.

I swear I don't ask for much, just coherency!! But they can't even give me that.
I think once I realized that no matter what the game shows, no matter AC, no matter the novels, there will always be an argument. It’ll be futile to them but in Part 3 I think it will be so blatant it won’t even matter anymore.

They put so much into the emotion of these characters, the emotion capture is amazing. The scenes will be very compelling in the next game.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I mean even here we have people going they're not canon but they all are so ...

I wouldn't say there is a general consensus on this since even here we have they're not canon but they all are :monsterstoned::smashedmonster:
What we are saying here is that it doesn't matter.

Canon or not, it's a depiction of what Cloud would do during a date.

The point being : He doesn't do anything out of character. All date could take place, nothing contradicts itself.

But if we're playing the non canon game here just a reminder that Aerith didn't made peace with Zack memory, she still loves him and she has not decided to be with the real Cloud anymore, this date never happened, it's just fan service.

Yup, it works both ways.

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
But if we're playing the non canon game here just a reminder that Aerith didn't made peace with Zack memory, she still loves him and she has not decided to be with the real Cloud anymore, this date never happened, it's just fan service.

Yup, it works both ways.
Well Aerith got a non-canon date at the end of the game. Disregarding all the details in the date and the things that were said, it was very romantic…somehow.

overheat28

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Overheat
Scanning through the ultimania stuff. So Zackbros got shafted again, looks like. There is almost nothing there except fluff like Zack would never abandon Cloud, Aerith's first love....

Really brings down the confidence they're going to do him justice. Maybe I'm just dooming, idk. At this point there is a possibility Zack will be fodder to keep CAs mollified with whatever they do with Cloti.

I just want to say that if it comes to this and Aerith wants to pine over Cloud and watch him get it on with Tifa from the lifestream, then kindly leave Zack out of it. Set him free. I would take him being alone but alive at the end, in exchange.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I don't think it's the same guy. I think they have different credits as well on what they worked on. Also you can see Ben Sabin here. 13:23

But that other Ben Sabin is interesting.
Very passionate lol.

The Trails series. Specifically Kiseki and I think Zero and Ao were called out for their localization timeline being slow as well as general flack for changes and quality. I think they had to partner up with fan translators because the company is so tiny.

But Disagea definitely gets flack too.

My friend left the distribution office recently I think after COVID (which was from my understanding tied to their localization office or maybe just the same office) but during that time it was a bit of a nightmare with QA and distribution etc. Basically every time QA said they needed to make a change it needed approval of course, but it's a tiny company so it was a slow process. And translator work for it was brutal, pretty nonstop. Also because of COVID it was very short staffed.

Told me how much BS the translators went through and how bad the pay and hours are while the general public has no idea. Also I have friends in the anime industry one who then worked with ANN at one point and with conventions and anime company promotions or something...another who works in I think production, knows many EN VAs and stuff and about dubbing.

Basically I hear them talk about their fields and the sheer amount of hard work that goes into these media to get created or promoted only for staff to sometimes get flamed. For people to act like it's trash or the creators don't care and for misinformation to be spread about it is a bit sad to me. Criticism is fine but people on social media especially can take it too far.

Edit: Elaborated and added a quote I missed.
Trails would have been my next guess. I do remember some memetic translations from it, yeah. And I have some friends who have worked in translation and I know it's a grueling process.

But Aerith's date doesn't affect anything in the OG. Literally, past the date, three of the four affection values just stop existing. The only one that gets checked is Tifa's, and only to determine the dialogue of the Highwind scene. Even if you get Aerith, Barret or Yuffie on the date, so long as hers is 50 or above, you get the high version.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Scanning through the ultimania stuff. So Zackbros got shafted again, looks like. There is almost nothing there except fluff like Zack would never abandon Cloud, Aerith's first love....

Really brings down the confidence they're going to do him justice. Maybe I'm just dooming, idk. At this point there is a possibility Zack will be fodder to keep CAs mollified with whatever they do with Cloti.

I just want to say that if it comes to this and Aerith wants to pine over Cloud and watch him get it on with Tifa from the lifestream, then kindly leave Zack out of it. Set him free. I would take him being alone but alive at the end, in exchange.

Zack Fair is Nojima’s only original creation from the original Final Fantasy VII.

Irrespective of what an Ultimania may say about him, nor his limited presence in Rebirth, they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of bringing him back, establishing his bonds and deep connections with Cloud and Aerith, if this is to be the path they take him down.

Nothing in Rebirth’s ending suggests this. There is a lot of heavy, potential foreshadowing going on as to a certain reunion taking place.

They wouldn’t do this to Zack, not least because of how much Nojima has expanded on him as a character throughout the compilation. And this is also not what they would do with Aerith.

At what point in any of the compilation after her death is Aerith shown to be pining for Cloud? She seeks to protect him from Sephiroth, because as she states herself in Case of Lifestream White, she loves Cloud as he represents all she holds dear on the planet i.e. it was through Cloud she got to go on an amazing journey, meet new friends, learn more about herself, and yes meet a tragic end but it’s because of Cloud she is also able to sort through her feelings and reunite with Zack, as the ending of Advent Children shows. She’s happy. Zack’s happy. Advent Children in one form or another is still the end destination.

Nothing of what was shown in Rebirth contradicts any of this.

If anything they have gone in far greater detail as to Aerith’s emotions and feelings for all of those she loves, in her speech, her song, and I think they also position Cloud again as the symbol that represents all of that to her. Without Cloud she wouldn’t have found Zack. She wouldn’t have met Barret or Tifa.

And Zack is an important person to Cloud as well. Much how Advent Children explores Cloud honouring the legacy of his best friend, so will Part 3 I think not tarnish the legacy of these characters.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I want to see Zack fall in love with Aerith, the woman. He didn't even know she was a bookworm and stuff. There's still so much they have to learn and I don't know if we're going to see it.
IS Aerith a bookworm, though? Having books in your room doesn't automatically make you a bookworm. My brother had a bookcase full of novels in his room growing up and that man did not read a single one.

But I agree that I want to see Zack and Aerith falling in love again as adults.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
To be honest I doubt the term “canon” was used. I think it was meant to be taken the way they’ve always meant it to be taken. That it wouldn’t affect the main story, which is something we knew already.

So they are “removed” from the main story. But they all still matter in the sense that they depict Cloud’s bonds.
Regardless of what they meant with it, people will be using this ultimania stuff as ammunition for the next 3 years at least.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Without Cloud she wouldn’t have found Zack.
And without Zack she wouldn't have found Cloud.

How do people think she'll react when she learns that the man she loved has put his life on the line to save the man she's grown to love ?

I'm not a mind reader, but I think she'll be reinforced in the idea that she did the right thing in falling in love with Gongaga boii.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Just going by what Zack says when you examine stuffs in the room but yeah there could be a scene or something where he gives Aerith a book as her next gift and she teases him a little.

I'm dreaming but I still wish for the Aerith, Zack, alt Vincent, alt Cid, Cait Sith/Reeve, etc party in the alternate world.

Top Bottom