Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So reading through, the chapters with Madara & Sasuke, I'm getting really curious, and even more suspicious about Tobi... I completely neglected this, but he lies to Sasuke about a couple of key things when talking about the history of the village that make me further question his real identity.

Uchiha Madara brings Kyubi and attempts to attack the village, and the Battle of the end between himself and the 1st Hokage takes place. At this point, he should have been killed. Past this point is when Tobi comes into the picture. He begins wearing his mask, and also is never shown with the Eternal Mangekyo that Madara had from his brother, he's only shown with the normal Sharingan.

502 is when Tobi encounters the 4th Hokage who makes a guess about his identity as Madara, but isn't sure. Note that Tobi never directly confirms that he is Madara at this point. This attack lead Danzou, Homura, & Koharu to suspect the Uchiha of leading the attack which results in them assign Itachi to spy on them. That lead to the instability of the Uchiha clan, and Sasuke's father secretly planning the coup de etat. However, in 399, Tobi tells Sasuke that the appearance of Kyubi 16 years ago was a freak occurrance, and when Sasuke debates it in 401, based on what Itachi told him, Tobi insists it's a lie. He's VERY carefully hidden that lie within the truth about Itachi, which is what's completely blinded Sasuke.

When Itachi was assigned with the task of eliminating the Uchiha Clan, Tobi showed up, and assisted Itachi in massacring the entire clan. Since he also appears to know exactly what was going on inside Konoha, this would mean that he is directly responsible for the destruction of the Uchiha clan, but he's obscuring the information that would allow Sasuke to discover this. In 515 Tobi seems slightly disturbed about how much Orochimaru knew what he was doing. I suspect that this all may have had to do with Orochimaru's reason for abandoning Akatsuki shortly after Itachi arrived, though I'm not entirely sure how, though Itachi needed to prevent Orochimaru posessing Sasuke, and I suspect it's to keep Sasuke from being under anyone's control, which I'll address shortly.

The reason behind these series of attacks by Tobi is now apparent. If he's going to use the Biju to wage the 4th Ninja World War, he needs to have an assurance that he'll win. If he has an army of Zetsu built from the 1st Hokage's cells (the only person able to directly control Biju), in addition to killing off the Uchiha Clan, that means that Konoha- the ONE village that could have EASILY stood in his way is now powerless to stop him, since he is now, essentially in control of the only Sharingan (aside from Kakashi) AND the only cells of the 1st Hokage. I also suspect that Tobi MAY need Sasuke's Eternal Mangekyo to accomplish something, since he doesn't seem to have them, like Madara did. Also in 404, Tobi has a lengthy conversation with Zetsu, where he states that out of EVERYTHING Akatsuki's done so far, making Sasuke his was the most important.

Now it comes to Itachi.

Itachi wanted Sasuke to kill him, and become a hero, and restore the honor of the Uchiha Clan, and for Konoha to see him as a hero. He also planted Amaterasu into Sasuke before he died to keep Madara away from either influencing him, or killing him. This failed, but it's an indication that Itachi may have also been trying to prevent the war from taking place (himself strongly desiring peace because of his experiences as a child). Just before confronting Sasuke, recapped in 403, Itachi leaves a piece of his power with Naruto, and leaves Naruto alone. He smiles when Naruto says that he was a better brother to Sasuke than Itachi ever was, and I think that is his reason for trusting Naruto.

441 and the 4th's description of the issue and the initial conflict, even before he learns the full story from his mom, means that Naruto knows that Tobi is manipulating people with their own motivations. With Naruto now knowing the complete truth about Kyubi's attack and Tobi's responsibility in it, he's one of the only people who could set Sasuke straight, because HE is essentially the proof that Madara lied. At this point they NEED Sasuke, and his Sharingan to win the War. The Allied Shinobi Army have no hope of overcoming power of the other Biju, aside from brute force with the loss of Hashirama's Cells & the Sharingan. I think that these are some of the biggest points that will need to be addressed during the war, but it's going to run into the issue of the MASSIVE force that's back from the dead, and the Zetsu army.

Anyhow, things to keep in mind!

Oh- and if you thought Sasuke was fucking nuts BEFORE, just imagine how absolutely, uncontrollably, furious he'll be if/when he finds out that Tobi carefully orchestrated the murder of his entire clan, that eventually lead to him killing his own brother, and was using him to destroy his own villiage, and (essentially) murder his friends. He'd be a TRUE Avenger at that point, but one for good, and I would be DAMN afraid to get in his way.

X :neo:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Ok, turning everyone into zombies is pissing me off.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I wouldn't exactly call them zombies. That sounds like they are a mindless mass of bodies trying to eat the brains of everyone who isn't a zombie.

Everything we know about Edo Tensei points to them having all the knowledge and abilities they had when they were alive. While they have to do what Kabuto wants them to, it's been shown that it is not voluntary on their part.

If anything, I'd say they're more like summoned spirits that are obligated to obey the will of the one who summoned them.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
I wonder if, for instance, someone like Asuma would have the will to resist Kabuto's control if they would have semi-consciousness like Deidara had.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I wonder if, for instance, someone like Asuma would have the will to resist Kabuto's control if they would have semi-consciousness like Deidara had.
Now this is what I want to know. Unfortunately, Kabuto seems to smart to not address this problem. If they could resist Kabuto though, think about what someone like Itachi would be able to do.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Ever since Orochimaru used the technique with the 1st and 2nd Hokage, I figured that it was only a matter of time before Naruto & Co would eventually run into this situation. When Orochimaru does it, you don't really understand the gravity of how fighting agaisnt the first and second affects the 3rd Hokage a personal level. This has the potential to impact the reader in a more meaningful way because of the pre-established relationships with Chiyo, Dan, Asuma, and possibly Zabuza & Haku (maybe Itachi).

While the deceased Akatsuki members getting brought back feels a little repetitive, it's to be expected for using the technique like this on the best possible candidates, since that's what Akatsuki was made of to begin with. However, I have to say that the addition of the previous Kages and the former Jinchuriki is awesome, and is the only way that I can really see their army standing a fighting chance in direct combat with the Allied Shinobi Army, because I don't really see the Zetsus as incredibly difficult to defeat, but who knows now with their enhancements...

I have to wonder if Zetsu's corpse consuming is going to come into play somewhere along here...

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So....

We now get to see how the specifics of Kabuto's Impure World Resurrection works. It's rather interesting to see everyone's reactions to being brought back to life. It's a good plan using them as an initial assault for the shock value, that will buy them an effective first strike.

Kabuto vs. Anko - I can't wait to see how this goes down.

I have a feeling that Black Zetsu & Sasuke have other objectives that they're going to complete aside from just staying away from Kabuto for the time being. I'm assuming that they're holding back, and going to attack Konoha. Also - I found this art of an idea for what Sasuke's Eternal Mangekyo might look like that I thought was pretty neat.
82px-1%2C542%2C0%2C540-Sasuke_eternal_sharingan_possible.gif

Gaara gave a good speech to bind the idea together, and really solidify the joint shinobi forces into one cohesive fighting unit.

Most interestingly, however, I'm interested in seeing what Killer Bee still has in store for Naruto. Also - given Bee's nature, I don't see the two of them remaining inside the Zaratan for very long...

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So I finished re-reading everything this week, and I have a few final comments, and observations.

Nagato's prediction from 449 finally comes true, and gives us a preview of what to expect from the 4th Ninja World War:

"War brings death, wounds, and pain to both sides. There's nothing harder to accept than the deaths of those you love, so you believe they could never die- especially those who haven't known war, like your generation. You try to find meaning in death, but there's only pain and hatred that you don't know what to do with. Dying like trash, never ending hatred, pain that never heals: That is war. Naruto, this is what you must face."

In 467, Tobi mentions that the monument hidden under Konoha in the Uchiha's secret meeting is actually a Relic left behind by the Sage of Six Paths. He also mentions that the information left on it could only be read by those with the Sharingan, but the Mangekyo Sharingan, and the Rinnegan would reveal information. This means that Kakashi would be able to read at least two parts of it, as he posesses a Sharingan and a Mangekyo. I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the Eternal Mangekyo or even the Byakugan may be able to find additional hidden information. If so, this would mean that there's even more motivation for Sasuke to be headed to Konoha when his eyes heal, especially because Tobi doesn't appear to have the Eternal Mangekyo in his right eye.

Lastly, in chapter 475 Tobi looses an arm while fighting with Danzo's Root bodyguards. In Chapter 486, you can see him replacing his missing arm with material from the Lotus Flower made from the First Hokage that was revealed MUCH later in 512. He's lost this limb again in the battle against Konan, and has replaced it fairly swiftly. Now that we know how, and where he's getting his Senju abilities from, it's apparent that this location is key to how he's managed to stay alive for such a long, long time, so a direct assault is key for a large number of reasons. Since the Zetsu's abilities were enhanced simply by Yamato's presence in the lotus, just below Hashirama, this means that Tobi's own abilities (or at least those of his right arm) are also enhanced.

Now on to look at the Resurrected ninja who are currently being deployed against the Allied Shinobi Forces in 516.

Raised Shinobi:

• Akatsuki: Nagato, Kakuzu, Deidara, Sasori, & Itachi.
• Ex-Jinchuriki: Han, Utakata, Yugito, Fu, Yagura*, & Roshi.
• Ex-Kage: 4th Kazekage (Gaara's Father), 3rd Raikage, & Unknown.
• Other Shinobi: Hizashi, Dan, Asuma. Hanzo, Chiyo, Kimimaro. Haku, Zabuza, Unknown. Unknown Cloud, Unknown Sound or Waterfall, Chukichi (Mist), Unknown Leaf (Root), Unknown Leaf(?).
* Yagura is technically also the 4th Mizukage.

• Mystery Ninja: While unknown who, there was one ninja that Kabuto summoned that was able to frighten Tobi. At this point, I'm speculating that it's one of three people: 4th Hokage, Madara, or the Sage of Six Paths. 4th Hokage has been shown to be very capable against him in combat. Madara would be appropriate if Tobi is only using Madara's powers, and is in fact not Madara himself. The Sage of Six Paths is the only shinobi that I can think of that would unequivocally stop Tobi in his tracks and give him the type of disbelief reaction that he gave.

War Squads: All of the above shinobi raised by Impure World Resurrection are divided into squads.

• Ambush & Distraction: Sasori, Deidara, Chukichi (Mist), Unknown Leaf (Root).
- This squad is given the largest amount of tactical description, with everyone else so far just being tossed out to the front lines. Sasori and Deidara are flying together attacking with bombs and traps, where as the Root member and Chukichi are acting as Sensor and backup, their abilities aren't well known.

• Ground Squad A (Ex-Jinchuriki): Han, Utakata, Fu, Yugito, Yagura.
- I'm assuming that, like Gaara, the Jinchuriki still maintained many of their abilities even without their Biju. Han & Fu are the most mysterious of the group, since they've never been seen directly aside from images, though Fu was mentioned to have been despised by her village, and reciprocated the feelings. Utakata was featured in the anime, though I haven't seen it. He uses bubbles in his jutsu, but it's unknown if this will be replicated in the manga. Yugito is fairly tough, as she is confident enough to trap herself in with Kakuzu and Hidan, rather than relying on backup, though her natural abilities are not shown directly, so it's unclear what she's capable of. Despite being manipulated by Tobi, Yagura was the 4th Mizukage, and was also one of the most powerful of the Jinchuriki.

• Ground Squad B (Ex-Akatsuki): Itachi & Kakuzu.
- Kakuzu is physically very powerful, and with a backup of Itachi, this would make for a good combination, but like that of his old partner, Kisame. They would work as a good squad, despite Kakuzu's interest in killing his partners, he'll likely be satisfied by all out war. Itachi would be against it, but there isn't much he can do at this point. It's also a good idea to not have him anywhere that Sasuke might run in to him.

• Ground Squad C (Hanzo): Hanzo.
- Hanzo fought the Sannin to a standstill, and was monstrously powerful. It's logical that he could be sent out on his own.

• Ground Squad D (Misc): Unknown Sound or Waterfall, Unknown Cloud, Unknown, Zabuza, & Haku.
- While the squad is mostly composed of unknowns, I can only assume that this is the first of the squads composed soley for the purpose of the shock value. While they have all been shown to be very capable shinobi, their edge lies not in their raw power, but in the effect of seeing the other Shinobi seeing them again.

• Ground Squad E (Konoha Misc): Asuma, Hizashi, Dan, Unknown.
- Another shock squad made more specifically for the Konoha ninja. Again, while all these ninja were known to be very capable Jounin, their true strength lies in the psychological effect on their enemies.

• Known, but not yet shown deployed:
- Nagato: Nagato's physically frail, and it's unknown really what he can do in direct combat, unless he's still able to control Gedo Mazo. Either way, it's unlikely that he'd be totally alone, but he's not much of a team player either. He'd likely just need guardians.
- Roshi: While I suspect he's running with the rest of the Ex-Jinchuriki, he's the only one not shown moving with them in 516. Kisame captured him on directly, and mentions in 353 that he can use a number of elemental fusions, an abilitiy that is typically a Kekkei Genkai.
- 3rd Raikage, 4th Kazekage, & the Unknown Kage: I'm assuming that the Kage will be deployed is their own squad, as they are going to be a very strong force.
- Chiyo: She seems like she'll need to be a part of a squad, because while she's capable of being a powerful supporting role, she's not incredibly capable in direct combat, especially being a puppeteer.
- Kimimaro: Kimimaro could and up pretty much anywhere. I was actually rather surprised that the rest of the Sound Ninjas weren't brough back as the Sound 5, though I suppose that's still a possibility.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
It's interesting that Kabuto even admits to Madara that he is having trouble controlling so many people. He then goes on to say that he will eventually erase most of the people's personalities. Up until now, I don't think we have ever seen Kabuto admit that he is weak in some capacity. If Kabuto is saying he's having trouble with Edo Tensei, that says a lot about how hard Edo Tensei is to perform. I'm also wondering how long can Edo Tensei go on for. If it has a finite length, the 4th Shinobi War might end up being an endurance war instead of a who-can-kill-the-correct-person war.

The whole Zetsu thing is interesting too. Madara has said that there is only one black-and-white zetsu, but that there is also 1,000 white Zetsu. It seems to me that there must be a significant difference between Black Zetsu and White Zetsu physically as well as mentally.

Asuma: I have a bad feeling about this.
The quote of doom. Now we know the Shinobi Alliance is going to have problems. Also, did anyone else get a gut feeling that Gaara will be dead by the end of the War?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
The quote of doom. Now we know the Shinobi Alliance is going to have problems. Also, did anyone else get a gut feeling that Gaara will be dead by the end of the War?

I had this feeling about a few people, people I'd believe would most likely be dead by the end of it. Let me know your suggestions, or comments on them:

-Kiba(and/or the other inuzaka's): Mainly because of their personality above anything else. Seems like the kind to die fighting.

-Sai: For some reason I can see Sai dying to protect someone, showing how much he's changed since he was introduced.

-Kakashi: There's always something about Kakashi. I don't know how anybody else feels about this statement, but I feel like he has become (or becoming) the Minato of the current generation. If he died during the war it would be for a massive reason (e.g. killing Tobi/Kabuto? or something else majorly dramatic, rather than just saving Choji)

-Tsunade: Also feel that if Orochimaru ever completely envelops Kabuto and becomes himself again, Tsunade will go down fighting him, bringing an end to the Sannin completely. Also she's the Hokage, she's just asking to go down at some point.

-Killer Bee: I don't particularly care much for Killer Bee, but I can see Naruto being left as the last Jinchuriki, with Killer Bee likely being taken at some point, or atleast killed.

-Anko: I'm pretty certain she's gonna get finished too, for whatever reason.

Its as Nagato said.

"War brings death, wounds, and pain to both sides. There's nothing harder to accept than the deaths of those you love, so you believe they could never die- especially those who haven't known war, like your generation. You try to find meaning in death, but there's only pain and hatred that you don't know what to do with. Dying like trash, never ending hatred, pain that never heals: That is war. Naruto, this is what you must face"

There WILL be casualties, and they will be characters that have been with the series for a decent amount of time. Should get interesting :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So: 517

Seeing the Frost & Hotsprings as smaller countries with Fuedal Lords was interesting, and I'm really hoping to get the remaining bits of the Naruto world fleshed out. I'm curious if there are any small countries that will lose faith in the Allied Shinobi Army and work with Akatsuki. VERY possible at this stage, and it would make a lot of sense in a war setting, though 5 big allied countries seems like a bad idea to oppose.

I'm not sure if Anko has just been captured, or if she's actually dead, but she really wasn't a fair match for Kabuto. The idea of using Genjutsu against Kabuto, who knocked out everyone at this Chunin Exam, and who has the powers of Orochimaru doesn't seem like the best of ideas...

I'd forgotten about the fact that the Impure World Resurrection victims are also essentially immortal. REALLY wondering how the squads can deal with them at this point. Not to mention that actually seeing Sasori and Deidara working in tandem is an incredibly dangerous combination.

Also - the return of Sai's brother was a BIG surprise. It'll be interesting to see how much Sai has actually developed on his quest to understand bonds and emotions, because I suspect if he was still just like the Sai that we first met, he would have been completely unfazed.

The biggest question of mine right now is if Muta Aburame's scroll was able to get back to teh Allied base via the destruction bugs, since that was likely the most important part of the chapter for right now. The information the Advance Recon Squad obtained on Tobi's base is crucial to the Allied Shinobi Army's success.

I'm hoping that they focus on the war for a few chapters, and get back to Naruto & Bee when they have a little bit of time to dedicate focus to them for a bit, and not just drop them into the last few pages.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
We're past ch. 500 and we're finally getting the rest of the Shinobi Nations fleshed out. One of the things I'm going to like over the next couple of chapters is seeing what the other villages' normal ninjutsu techniques are; up untill now, we've only seen what their S-rank ninja's techniques are.

Something tells me that the tactics Madara is using in this chapter are going to be used over and over again. He easily has enough resurrected powerful ninja to overwhelm most of the army and those who are higher level will have to face the problem of killing people they know all over again. Couple that with the fact that all the resurrected shinobi are essentially immortal and I have a very difficult time seeing how the Shinobi Alliance will win. The part about Edo Tenei continuing to work even after they kill its implementer was interesting.

Another take on Edo Tensai. It's a know fact that the Shiki Fuuin permanently ends it. Granted that not many ninja know how to do Shiki Fuuin, but it is a sure way to get rid of all the resurrected shinobi permanently. It's a win-win situation for Madara though, because Shiki Fuuin is a suicide technique.
X-SOLDIER said:
The idea of using Genjutsu against Kabuto, who knocked out everyone at this Chunin Exam, and who has the powers of Orochimaru doesn't seem like the best of ideas...
I did a double take when they said this was their plan. Whoever came up with it did not do a good job at looking at all the information on Kabuto.

Also - the return of Sai's brother was a BIG surprise. It'll be interesting to see how much Sai has actually developed on his quest to understand bonds and emotions, because I suspect if he was still just like the Sai that we first met, he would have been completely unfazed.
It looks like his brother is under Kabuto's half control seeing as he tells Sai to leave so Sai doesn't end up like him (under Edo Tensei).

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
We're past ch. 500 and we're finally getting the rest of the Shinobi Nations fleshed out. One of the things I'm going to like over the next couple of chapters is seeing what the other villages' normal ninjutsu techniques are; up untill now, we've only seen what their S-rank ninja's techniques are.

I'm actually REALLY enjoying this aspect of it as well. Even if it's only the main clands, it's still very interesting.

Another take on Edo Tensai. It's a know fact that the Shiki Fuuin permanently ends it. Granted that not many ninja know how to do Shiki Fuuin, but it is a sure way to get rid of all the resurrected shinobi permanently. It's a win-win situation for Madara though, because Shiki Fuuin is a suicide technique.I did a double take when they said this was their plan. Whoever came up with it did not do a good job at looking at all the information on Kabuto.

There's the fact that with enough Chakra and Kage Bunshin, you could potentially take out multiple Edo Tensai'd Ninja. While it's known that THAT specific Jutsu will end it, there's a really good chance that other Fuuin Jutsu will be able to cancel, or stop it. I suspect that the Yamanaka clan's ability to push spirits into traps, or overtake bodies could be used to some devastating effect. Plus, there needs to be plenty of other Sealing techniques that the other villages with Biju developed that could be used similiarly to the Shiki Fuuin.

It looks like his brother is under Kabuto's half control seeing as he tells Sai to leave so Sai doesn't end up like him (under Edo Tensei).

Pretty certain of that because it's got the greyed out eyes that the rest of them show.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
So, from the latest chapter it looks like if they can put the soul to rest it will end the Impure Resurrection.

That's convenient. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^It looks like it will work for some of the souls, like those from Konoha. I'm wondering how well that will work for those souls that can't be put to rest, like those from Akatsuki or people like Gaara's father. Some souls, like Itachi, might not even want to be put to rest now that they know what the future is like.

It might also be something Kabuto is up to releive the stress of having to keep control of so many souls. Once it's not advantagous for him to keep the body "alive" he releases it so the soul can't give the Shinobi Aliance any useful information about what he is planning.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
518: This is one of those Chapter's that I'm hoping that they're going to flesh out a little bit in the anime, so that I can pop in and watch some of the combat.

Omoi's ability to cut through Chakra strings is very interesting. I'm wondering what allowed him to cut the chakra threads, because they are typically intangible.

Kankuro's ability to attach his own threads to Sasori's was REALLY neat. It's slightly unfortunate that Salamander got destroyed, and that we barely saw him use Sasori's former puppet body in combat. I was pleased to see that he has installed a Light Shield into Sasori though, which means that the technique wasn't lost with Chiyo. The fact that he has two Black Ants now, was interesting, seeing that Sasori got trapped by using Black Ant and Crow, and the other Black Ant has a slot left open for Omoi's sword.

Seeing Sai truely show his hatred/rage as the first genuine emotion was AWESOME, and then getting the closure with his brother bringing tears to his eyes. Really a little bit brief, but it was a big development for Sai. It was interesting that his brother managed to break the Impure World Resurrection by putting himself at peace, but I'm wondering what that means for all the other former companions that have been raised, mainly for the Leaf Shinobi.

It's apparent that performing it this way gives it a weakness that the original soul can find a way out of it's own accord, but it's likely what allowed Kabuto to be capable of pulling up so many of them. Because of the fact that this brought closure for Sai, more than the negative effect of seeing his brother's corpse explode and re-form, I can't help but think that there's some alterior motive of Kabuto's here, aside from just the shock value.

While Sasori and Deidara are currently trapped inside of Kankuro's puppets, there's at least the Mist ninja who will be headed their direction, after hearing the explosion, and I'm assuming that there will be more. My main curiosity is if the Shinobi Alliance will be able to escape with them captive or not.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
SO....

The corpses were those required to cast the technique, and it's interesting to see that the result of the initial encounters with people from the past was a benefit to the people of Konoha. Still Kankuro got to be completely amazing, and really finish his evolution into a true Jounin of Sand, and someone you can imagine the village looking up to. Not someone picking on Konoha kids. Same with Sai coming to terms with everything. It convinces me that Kabuto being the sole survivor of a massacre means that he's trying to do some people a favor while hiding it as a disguise.

Speaking of Kabuto, it seems like Madara is suspecting the same thing that the rest of us were. Kabuto's trying to play them to his own advantage. It's nice to see that Madara's not so easily duped though, but there's something really intense brewing here. The linear conflict is starting to split into pieces again. I'm almost certain that something serious is going to do down between those two in the next couple chapters, but I think that they're both over confident, and will try to indirectly manipulate the other one, because they can't risk direct assaults at this point, especially with Kabuto's nameless trump card. It's the perfect depection of two bad guys in an alliance. They can't afford to fight each other, but they're each trying to take the upper hand, and manipulate themselves to the advantage.

On to the Biju Bomb.

ChibiBiju.png

I like how they come out and explain everything as to why he can't use his Kage Bunshin, and why he has to be careful with that mode. I couldn't see Naruto transforming into Kyubi, or the two of them working in tandem any time soon, and they had a really good method of explaining why things are they way they are for now. The fact that Minato spent so long developing the Rasengan BEFORE Naruto was even in the picture means that he either wanted to pass it to Kushina, or keep it as a legacy for Konoha's Jinchuriki. Either way, I really REALLY liked the developments this chapter. I still want to know if Naruto could use his "imagined" arms and legs to attack while remaining motionless to gather Sage Chakra, but that's an idea for another day.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I find it slightly funny that it is only now that Naruto is getting a good reason to not use Kage Bushin. Usually the protagonist's signature technique has been shown not to work long before.

The origin of the Rasengan was interesting too. Personally, I think Minato saw a jinchriki, probably Kushina, do a Bijuu Bomb, and decided that he wanted to be able to do that technique as well so he came up with a human version of it.

The whole switching of personalities between Bee and the Hachibi is interesting. It confirms the the Bijuu are not wild bodies of chakra, but have personalities that can be reasoned with. It makes me wonder what the other 6 Bijuu's personalities are like.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
First, I really like that Naruto can't train it mathematically, he just has to know it by feel and is using Bee to help him reach that more efficiently. Also, the fact that the Biju-Rasengan is super heavy means that attacking with it will be interesting, though, I wonder if he'll be able to use one of his "imagined" arms to hold and hit with it at some point to give a better range.

Now on to the big stuff.

Kabuto and Madara coming head to head. I LOVE the level of distrust between them that's finally shown itself. "Today's Ally is Tomorrow's Enemy." It's also nice to see Kabuto's little internal thoughts, because he's not as confident about his odds in a fight, but he's VERY careful. I suspected that Anko was alive, but I'm still thinking that there's more to keeping her alive than Kabuto reveals. I was wondering when the Yamanaka and Aburame Root members would be brought back around. I also like the explicit explanation as to why the Hokages, Jiraiya, and Shisui can't be revived, along with the hints about Danzou and the Six Paths of Pain.

That being said, the conclusion of Kabuto's lesson was interesting. He notes that it poses no risk to the user, but part of me doesn't believe him, and I think that more information about why the Second Hokage doesn't appear to have used the technique to a vast degree if this is the case. Not only that, it doesn't specify why Orochimaru's power will strengthen the technique's power, or how to end the technique. I suspect that he's using Orochimaru's chakra to power the technique, which in his case is what prevents any negative effects on him, and may also be keeping Orochimaru's persona in check. (At least that would explain why he could use so many at once, and why he would need Orochimaru's power from Anko).

Aside from that, Kabuto needs to have some sort of ultimatum that will prevent Madara from killing him, since at this point the resurrected troops will continue attacking even if Kabuto (the summoner) is killed. I'm guessing that this is why he left some of their personalities intact, though I'm not sure. I'm also wondering if Madara was able to copy it with his Sharingan, since it involves a scroll and a ritual.

The intel transmission system of sending chakra into radio waves to transmit thoughts was awesome. I love when they show little things like that in the Naruto universe to flesh it out. Sai is a MONSTER from the sky with those bombs. It was also neat to see Haku's Ice technique used in a new way, and Zabuza's opinion on the Impure World Resurrection made me laugh. "We're immortal, huh? I don't like it."

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Yey! Explanation chapter. It's awesome that we get to find out how Edo Tenshi works. Madara and Kabuto, I could see them getting into a fight now, which would be really cool. I'm not sure who would win. It would give us a chance to see how good they are.

The ninja alliance is very lucky that all the previous hokage cannot be resurrected. Also, Kabuto mentions that he couldn't find Shisui's corpse. It looks like he couldn't find the corpses of the rest of the Uchiha either. I looked back to see who Kabuto had resurrected and there are no Uchiha besides Itachi. Another break for the ninja alliance.

On a completely different topic:
I was looking through some FF8 stuff about SeeD and Garden and and the ideas looked very familiar. It took me a minute before I realized that the SeeD/Garden system is almost identical to the Hidden Village system in Naruto.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Naruto 523.

Holy fuck yes, it's great to have Naruto back, and it's off with a bang, not to mention it's my favorite number (because 5/23 is my birthday).

So, there's LOTS of excellent information this chapter. Before bringing up the main piece, I wanted to mention just how amazing Kakashi is at working in tandem with other Ninja's abilities, combining the Yamanaka/Nara abilities with the Sand's, along with his own. It's one of the most impressive strategies that I've seen to date, even if his VERY well planned attack gets foiled flashback-style by Haku. It's also nice to finally get the motivation behind Suigetsu (one of my favorite characters).

Now, on to THE SEVEN SWORDSMEN!
I'll break down a list of them all by Category (based on Mangetsu's summoning scroll), Sword Name, and the Wielder, and there's a big image of them & their weapon spoiler tagged below their portraits.

SEVEN_SWORDS2.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Category . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sword Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wielder
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEVER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kubikiri Bocho (Beheader) . . . . . . . . Momochi Zabuza
Description: Vastly powerful cutting blade that regenerates damage by spilling blood.
* While not summoned, this sword was already physically present. Unknown when it was stolen from the Samurai.
SEVER1.png

SEVER2.png

GREAT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Samehada (Shark Skin) . . . . . . . . . Hoshigaki Kisame/Suikazan Fuguki
Description: Absorbs chakra and transfers to the user as stamina, is alive, and (at least Kisame) could fuse with it.
* Unable to be summoned, as the sword is currently in Bee's posession. Fuguki is currently attacking with ice(?) needles.
GREAT1.png

GREAT2.png

LONG . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nuibari (Threading Needle) . . . . . . . Kuriarare Kushimaru
Description: A long, thin sword with ninja wire that pierces through enemies, and binds them together.
LONG1.png

LONG2.png

BLUNT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kabutowari (Helmsplitter) . . . . . . . . Akebino Jinin
Description: Axe/Hammer that crushes through any and all defenses by driving the axe as a wedge with the hammer.
BLUNT1.png

BLUNT2.png

BLAST . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Homatsu (Splash) . . . . . . . . . . . . . Munashi Jinpachi
Description: A massive blade with a scroll full of explosive tags.
BLAST1.png

BLAST2.png

BOLT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kiba (Fang) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kuroski Raiga/Ringo Ameyuri
Description: Imbued with lightning, and sharper than any other blade ever forged.
BOLT1.png

BOLT2.png

TWIN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Hiramekarei . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Choujirou/Hozuki Mangetsu(?)
Description: The blade uses Chakra to change its shape. It also has two handles, which may be why it's the TWIN blade.
This may also hold some significance for Mangetsu/Suigetsu as brothers.

* Unable to be summoned, as the sword is currently in Choujirou's (rightful) posession.
Mangetsu is currently attacking with the same liquid-like physical skills as his brother, though he COULD weild any of the blades as the others are defeated, making him an incredibly dangerous opponent.
TWIN1.png

TWIN2.png

It's getting intense. Can't wait for next week.

Kujata

X's Brother
After all that, and Zabuza's is still my favorite. All the really ridiculous ones bother me in that they're still getting called swords.

Zabuza: "Well, mine is a gigantic sword. Cuts off heads. Also regenerates its structure from blood."
Ameyuri: "I have a pair, they're lightning infused and such."
Zabuza: "Right on."
Kushimaru: "I have a hiltless sword designed to impale, connecting to a wire thread."
Zabuza: "Niffty."
Jinin: "I have an axe and a hammer chained together. We're calling them swords."
Zabuza: "That's... a stretch."
Choujirou: "Mine is sort of a big paddle, when I swing it, it makes energy hammers and stuff."
Zabuza: "Swords-men, guys cmon."
Fuguki: "Mine is a shark."
Zabuza: "....."
Jinpachi: "Honestly I just have a lot of explosives scrolled around a pole. But, ya know. Explosions." :awesome:
Zabuza: "Are you even trying?"

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Mangetsu: "I don't fucking care Zabuza, no one will take us seriously if we're called the Seven Weapons-men of Mist. I know how to fight with all of them, and they're close enough."

Zabuza: "Close enough... Really...? We're the 3 swordsmen, Axe & Hammer-man, Chakra-paddle-man, Hilted-Shark-man, & Explosive Scroll-poll-man of the Mist."

Mangetsu: "Seven swordsmen."

Zabuza: "We're only 50/50 on swords vs. other weapons if you count Ameyuri's as two, and Jinin's as one because they're tied together."

Mangetsu: "Seven-"

Zabuza: "If someone met Jinin in the woods one day, NO ONE would call him a swordsmen. No offense, Jinin, but it's true. They'd still probably be very afraid of your Hammer/axe."

Jinin: "Whatever, as long as I'm a badass."

Mangetsu: "-... You know what Zabuza?"

Zabuza: "What?"

Mangetsu: "The country's in constantly in turmoil, the government's shot to shit, so I'M going to redefine what the Hidden Mist considers a SWORD, by calling us the Seven Swordsmen and no one can stop me. Soon we'll be so legendary that everyone will consider YOU to be wrong."

Zabuza: "... Obviously sound argument is getting nowhere with you, and fighting you is about as satisfying as punching a lake, so fine. As long as I get remembered as a Swordsmen, and we get to commit mass genocide, I don't really care."

Mangetsu: "Then it's settled, we're the Seven Swordsmen of Mist."

Zabuza: "More like the seven pointy-teethed mass-murderers with fruit-based last names."

Mangetsu: "What?"

Zabuza: "Nothing. Ameyuri, Kushimaru, & I are going to go over here and talk about swords."

Top Bottom