• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

AC/CC >> Remake Buster Sword Changes

Flutflut

Rookie Adventurer
What if he just put zack's sword away for safe keeping somewhere and just bought a new one when he first joined Avalanche? He sure doesn't have a problem with throwing it away in the game. :sweatsmile:

It's an interesting theory, though... Someone should tell matpat from The Game Theorists on youtube to do a theory for it to settle it once and for all! lol!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
AHEM

This is something cool that someone had noticed on the Final Fantasy Reddit:

"Interesting detail if you look very closely at Cloud's buster sword you'll notice that underneath the leather-wrapped grip you can still see the original red grip of the compilation buster sword." - u/throwwayftw
tc4v8iwvzcm41.jpg

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So the design change has an in-universe explanation.

But what does that mean for the handle guard. Where did the gold go?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
So the design change has an in-universe explanation.

But what does that mean for the handle guard. Where did the gold go?

My personal spin on this theory is that Cloud straight up replaced the gold box with the riveted one, rather than just covering it. It'd be in line with all the other alterations he made to his standard SOLDIER uniform. Guess we won't know for sure until we see the Nibelheim flashback, or maybe not even until we see Zack.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Thanks! I still don't see it (that looks like it could be anything--specifically some kind of graphical anomaly) but I at least know where I'm looking.

Rose_of_Night

Pro Adventurer
I just read/skimmed through thid thread and loved it.
I'm on Tres' camp, SE might have modified the golden hilt to make it fit inside the metal box.
Why? Maybe to prevent someone trying to steal the sword? There were plenty of thief enemies on the OG that would steal items, gil or even pieces of equipment from you.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I admit, had there not been X-SOLDIER's images in the beginning of the thread, I'd call the hypothesis that Cloud covered the hilt nonsensical; that flat part looks so much narrower than the gold. Kudos on the pics, very convincing. :)

I agree that it fits thematically; Cloud and the metal bar are inferior to Zack the gold decoration; Cloud was never in SOLDIER. And a reveal right after the Lifestream sequence with Tifa would be one full of SYMBOLISM which I love.

My only gripe with this theory? This whole thing sounds waaaay too particular for a guy who was dragging the sword around along with his feet to Midgar, confused and with amnesia. Like, what did Cloud think? "My sword is too decorated, lemme cover it and blacken the rest?" It sounds too... purposeful and thoughtful for a guy whose brains were scrambled. :wacky:

Last edited:

hleV

Pro Adventurer
It makes more sense for the hanguard to be replaced than covered up. Firstly, it DOESN'T FIT UNDERNEATH the bolted one (unless for whatever silly reason they shrinked it). Secondly, there's little reason to cover it up, but a solid reason for replacement (it was stolen or they sold it, it's gold after all, probably).

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
In that thread they mention that the team actually redid every other scene from Advent Children, rather than reusing the old footage – with the exception of this one

X :neo:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
In that thread they mention that the team actually redid every other scene from Advent Children, rather than reusing the old footage – with the exception of this one
They definitely didn't. They did post-processing to tweak the footage (blur, static, blow out the color of Aerith's water burial so you can't see the details) but it's clearly footage from ACC. And footage that is only seen for maybe a second, at that.

The Red XIII one is the most obvious, since his new design is clearly different from the old one.

Granted, even if the design changes are meant to be reflective of something, both the Cloud and Zack timelines are different from the original one.

Ichigo75

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Johnny boi
Yeah, I am also wondering why they would redesign part of the buster sword, but not all of it for the remake.

Honestly, they should do one or the other, not both. I'm hoping it's revealed later on there is gold plating or something beneath the protector. Probably just a simple redesign, but I can always hope!

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
It is interesting that the sword Zack has does not have the gold plating on it especially when other material has differentiated between Cloud's Buster Sword and Zack's Buster Sword.
0b5f6667-c44b-3f65-a3aa-07e18c713dc0.png
FFRK Buster Sword (FFVII)
4f6e077d-3de1-36ae-ba74-c4667d470c3b.png
FFRK Buster Sword (FFVII-CC)
077069eb-4e18-303a-96bb-0c0843e9b57c.png
FFRK Hewley Buster (FFVII-CC)
tumblr_p0zr1eRtjf1rr3gjmo2_500.gifv

World of Final Fantasy: Meli-Melo
WOFF_Cloud.png

World of Final Fantasy
latest

World of Final Fantasy
70904.png

Pictlogica Final Fantasy
71021.png

Pictlogica Final Fantasy
maxresdefault.jpg
Opera Omnia
latest

Opera Omnia
latest

Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade

Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade
latest

Theatrythm Final Fantasy All-Star Carnival
latest

Theatrythm Final Fantasy All-Star Carnival

The only exception that I can find is FFBE. Both Cloud and Zack do not, from what I can see, have gold on their swords.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

For funsies, here is a photo that the Final Fantasy wiki stated this is an in-game render from the old engine of Dissidia NT Arcade:
latest

Then, here is a different photo from Dissidia NT (updated) without the gold plating.
latest

I understand that this is a Remake and it doesn't have to follow previously set expectations, but I was always used to gold plating = Zack. So, it throws me off that Zack's Buster Sword doesn't have it.

Top Bottom